2016-2017 Dartmouth College (Geisel) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am curious about this situation too because the students I asked on interview day said they didn't feel the effects of the deficit one bit. Although they did acknowledge that "Geisel is poor" is a standing joke among students.

Members don't see this ad.

I mean I guess the bottom line is this - is this something that we need to worry about in terms of picking Geisel as a school to go to? Will it either impact our direct experience as medical students, or will it decrease the long term value of our degree?

Like, does this threaten Geisel's existence as a med school or is it just growing pains or something?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I mean I guess the bottom line is this - is this something that we need to worry about in terms of picking Geisel as a school to go to? Will it either impact our direct experience as medical students, or will it decrease the long term value of our degree?

Like, does this threaten Geisel's existence as a med school or is it just growing pains or something?
Most of the folks I have talked to don't think it will threaten its existence. However, those same people said the students would be the last to feel it. I am really curious to see what the other financial aid packages look like for people. Maybe the ones posted in this feed are a fluke or they have a high ECF...

Most of the folks I have talked to don't think it will threaten its existence. However, those same people said the students would be the last to feel it. I am really curious to see what the other financial aid packages look like for people. Maybe the ones posted in this feed are a fluke or they have a high ECF...
Another private school calculated my EFC to be about 15k. My parents are by no means super well off. Though at that school I was also given the choice the cover the EFC with additional federal loans.

Another private school calculated my EFC to be about 15k. My parents are by no means super well off. Though at that school I was also given the choice the cover the EFC with additional federal loans.

I thought EFC was calculated by FAFSA?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I think so? The EFC also showed up on other schools' award letters. My parents filled out FASFA themselves so I'm not sure what it exactly said.

My decision is fairly much made down, I will almost for certain be turning down Geisel because my parents wouldn't have an easy time paying that much so I'd have to take out private loans. And I really don't want to have to do that.

I thought EFC was calculated by FAFSA?

I did too. I thought if you are independent, which most of us are, then your EFC is 0 by default.

Depends on if you are non-traditional and/or have a job. For example, my EFC is not zero because I have a salary position.

Shudder...
those numbers looks daunting
66 k in loans * 4 years = something like $264, 000 in debt by the time you get out...?
:wow::uhno:

As far as I know from my host student Geisel is broke because the school was promised money that it now doesn't have, from Dr. Seus (whose wife now fights to keep the donation) and from Dartmouth college (which now has a new Dean who cares less about the med school than the previous Dean). It looks like financial aid is impacted because it seems worst than in the past. Perhaps current students can confirm or negate this

Yeah I heard they were basically waiting for her to die to get some huge donation and control of their estate, but that's interesting if it doesn't go through, wonder why the change of heart.

It seems like erryone here is discussing their financial aid packages, and I'm just tweedling my thumbs to see when I'll finally hear back from Geisel...

Shiba+Inu+dog.jpg
I mean Im sitting on the waitlist... I am just chiming in because I am familiar with the school.

It seems like erryone here is discussing their financial aid packages, and I'm just tweedling my thumbs to see when I'll finally hear back from Geisel...

Shiba+Inu+dog.jpg
I am also not sure as I said earlier if these financial aid packages are indicative of the school's deficit. Could be unrelated... nobody panic just yet...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I heard they were basically waiting for her to die to get some huge donation and control of their estate, but that's interesting if it doesn't go through, wonder why the change of heart.

damn son :uhno:

Wondering if the timeline this year is different because of the new dean. They told us that everything will be released by April 12nd, and I am still waiting to hear back...

Wondering if the timeline this year is different because of the new dean. They told us that everything will be released by April 12nd, and I am still waiting to hear back...
According to my calculations, it does not yet appear to be April 12th..

Jokes aside, I'm bracing for the worst :/

Reactions: 3 users
TFW you had no idea that F5 refreshes webpages and you have reached a new level of neurotic...

ImageUploadedBySDN1492005553.220235.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
L o l.

How do you hear? Email either way? You're refreshing your portals? Y'all crazy.

Reactions: 1 users
I called. Deana said they shouldn't have said a specific date. It would be this month for sure, but to not bank on April 12th
just FYI

I called. Deana said they shouldn't have said a specific date. It would be this month for sure, but to not bank on April 12th
just FYI
This is craziness... I know I am preaching to the choir but it is just wild that we are given such short notice... that April 30th deadline is coming on fast...

This is craziness... I know I am preaching to the choir but it is just wild that we are given such short notice... that April 30th deadline is coming on fast...

Aw dang I was hoping today.

Yeah, that is short... don't they need to do a second look weekend too? Is that already scheduled for admitted applicants?

Dang it, I was really hoping for a decision before the financial aid deadline. Their finaid app is pretty long. Now I guess I have to fill everything out anyway :bored:

Aw dang I was hoping today.

Yeah, that is short... don't they need to do a second look weekend too? Is that already scheduled for admitted applicants?

Not only that but figuring out what you are doing for a year. I didn't get a single interview last cycle and many of my schools didn't ever send a rejection email or update the portals. Btw if anyone is in the same position I would recommend AmeriCorps. Great way to re-devote yourself to service and get some med/health related experience. Many positions also give you some extra time if you wanted to do research or something on the side. If anyone wants to know more PM me!

Dang it, I was really hoping for a decision before the financial aid deadline. Their finaid app is pretty long. Now I guess I have to fill everything out anyway :bored:

What is their financial aid deadline? I'd look but... it'd be so much easier if you just told me, you know what I mean?

What is their financial aid deadline? I'd look but... it'd be so much easier if you just told me, you know what I mean?

I need to look at my packet, but I think it's April 15

I would be really upset if I wasted the 25 dollar on that financial package app for nothing:boom:

Why did none of my other schools ask for the College Board profile...(has panic moment) I feel like the financial aid forms were a bit redundant

It seems like some schools do require it - like I filled one out for tufts as well. The old service that they used last year apparently went out of business, so now they are using CSS. This profile is basically how they get parent financial info for need based financial aid purposes. So, presumably if you aren't applying for need based aid you might not have to fill it out.

That said, if you have to fill it out, brace yourself.

It seems like some schools do require it - like I filled one out for tufts as well. The old service that they used last year apparently went out of business, so now they are using CSS. This profile is basically how they get parent financial info for need based financial aid purposes. So, presumably if you aren't applying for need based aid you might not have to fill it out.

That said, if you have to fill it out, brace yourself.

Filled it out for Geisel. It was fun? Not that I am complaining because Id rather not have to take private loans! :thumbup:

Where art thou fall interviwees?

EDIT: rejected via email just now :(

Last edited:
Wait listed as well. Anyone get stats on wl movement from 2016?