2016-2017 Dartmouth College (Geisel) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't want to jump to any conclusions, but certainly raised a red flag in my mind. Someone above, presumably a current student, mentioned that they recall at least 20+ students doing research years/dual-degrees in their class. However, that shouldn't really make a difference because students who decided to take research years/dual-degrees in previous years would have backfilled this year's graduating class, right? So, I'm still left wondering; unless this year's graduating class was the first to have a significant number of these students? Though that is an unlikely explanation.

There's no list as far as I can see, but there is a 1-hour video!:
For what it's worth, the list does sound fairly impressive.

So I just skipped through that video and compiled a list. It seems like a completely utterly mindblowingly ridiculously strong match. Kind of surprising though, I didn't see a single match to DHMC? There were like 10 people who matched there in 2016.

Gen Surg UCSD?
OBGYN Mt Sinai
OBGYN Duke
Gen Surg UChicago
Derm Jefferson
IM Vanderbilt
FM Contracosta (UCSF?)
EM BU
Gen Surg + IM couples match Brigham&Womens
IM open privately
ENT Cleveland Clinic
IM UCLA
IM OHSU
IM Cambridge Health Alliance (Harvard)
Anesthesia Cleveland Clinic
? open privately
FM OHSU
Peds MGH
Peds Baystate (?)
? open privately
Radiology Kaiser Oakland -> UW Seattle
Peds Brown
IM Brigham&Womens
EM UToronto
Gen Surg BI Deaconess
EM Chattanooga
Neuology UPenn
FM Tacoma Washington?
FM UVM
? US Army, San Antonio internship
IM BI Deaconess
IM+Peds University of Arizona
Peds Mayo Clinic
IM George Washington
? open privately
IM Mt Sinai
FM + EM couples match Emory
Psych Cambridge Health Alliance (Harvard)
Anesthesia UWashington
Gen Surg Mayo Clinic AZ
Gen Surg + FM couple match, Scripps + ?
IM Emory
Anesthesia UCSD
OBGYN Cedars-Sinai
IM US Navy ?
Psych UWashington Idaho track
Radiology Brigham&Womens
FM Brown
Gen Surg Duke
IM UMass
Derm UCLA
Urology Indiana U
Peds Brown RI Hospital
Psych Duke
Radiology NYU
OBGYN St Joe’s Michigan Ann Arbor
Gen Surg Stanford
Psych Mt Sinai
Anesthesia Columbia
Rad-Onc UCLA
Psych BI Deaconess
? UCLA

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt they would have such awesome match results but have a large group of people mysteriously not match. Doesn't really make sense - I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for it :)

Reactions: 1 user
So if I interviewed January, and haven't anything back yet (no acceptance, no wailtlist, no reject), how should I interpret this?

Any other Fall interviewees still alive? (October here)

Last edited:
So if I interviewed January, and haven't anything back yet (no acceptance, no wailtlist, no reject), how should I interpret this?

Well we know that some people who interviewed in March already have decisions. It is possible, that like they say they do not release decisions in order of interview date because certain interviewers will turn in their evaluations early or late. However, the chances this is the case for your application at this point are slim.

The only logical deductions that can be made are that you are either on a line (either the line between Accept/WL or the line between WL/Reject) or you are a "tier 3" applicant as they call it and they just have pushed you to the back of the consideration line. Just my 2 cents.

Well we know that some people who interviewed in March already have decisions. It is possible, that like they say they do not release decisions in order of interview date because certain interviewers will turn in their evaluations early or late. However, the chances this is the case for your application at this point are slim.

The only logical deductions that can be made are that you are either on a line (either the line between Accept/WL or the line between WL/Reject) or you are a "tier 3" applicant as they call it and they just have pushed you to the back of the consideration line. Just my 2 cents.

Idk if I agree. There have been lots of changes to the way the committee is run apparently, and they are also very clear about not holding rejections back. I definitely wouldn't lose hope yet, even for ppl who interviewed in the fall.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Idk if I agree. There have been lots of changes to the way the committee is run apparently, and they are also very clear about not holding rejections back. I definitely wouldn't lose hope yet, even for ppl who interviewed in the fall.

My point was that they are still deliberating on a few people on the edge. But who knows really we are all speculating. Youll hear back when you hear back. Until then, anything could happen.

Last edited:
So I just skipped through that video and compiled a list. It seems like a completely utterly mindblowingly ridiculously strong match. Kind of surprising though, I didn't see a single match to DHMC? There were like 10 people who matched there in 2016.

Gen Surg UCSD?
OBGYN Mt Sinai
OBGYN Duke
Gen Surg UChicago
Derm Jefferson
IM Vanderbilt
FM Contracosta (UCSF?)
EM BU
Gen Surg + IM couples match Brigham&Womens
IM open privately
ENT Cleveland Clinic
IM UCLA
IM OHSU
IM Cambridge Health Alliance (Harvard)
Anesthesia Cleveland Clinic
? open privately
FM OHSU
Peds MGH
Peds Baystate (?)
? open privately
Radiology Kaiser Oakland -> UW Seattle
Peds Brown
IM Brigham&Womens
EM UToronto
Gen Surg BI Deaconess
EM Chattanooga
Neuology UPenn
FM Tacoma Washington?
FM UVM
? US Army, San Antonio internship
IM BI Deaconess
IM+Peds University of Arizona
Peds Mayo Clinic
IM George Washington
? open privately
IM Mt Sinai
FM + EM couples match Emory
Psych Cambridge Health Alliance (Harvard)
Anesthesia UWashington
Gen Surg Mayo Clinic AZ
Gen Surg + FM couple match, Scripps + ?
IM Emory
Anesthesia UCSD
OBGYN Cedars-Sinai
IM US Navy ?
Psych UWashington Idaho track
Radiology Brigham&Womens
FM Brown
Gen Surg Duke
IM UMass
Derm UCLA
Urology Indiana U
Peds Brown RI Hospital
Psych Duke
Radiology NYU
OBGYN St Joe’s Michigan Ann Arbor
Gen Surg Stanford
Psych Mt Sinai
Anesthesia Columbia
Rad-Onc UCLA
Psych BI Deaconess
? UCLA

Is this school heavily focused on primary care or something? Seems like there are barely any subspecialties

Is this school heavily focused on primary care or something? Seems like there are barely any subspecialties

I'm sure it's just random, especially with such a small class size. Last year they matched 5 into ortho, 1 CT surg, 3 urology, 1 vascular, 1 NSG...

Members don't see this ad :)

upload_2017-4-1_8-34-48.png

received a rejection notice at 11 AM PST today :<

Is anyone else still alive from September?

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed in early september, just received waitlist notification

Is Geisel one of those schools that just waitlists tons of people and then the waitlist itself doesn't have much movement?

^Also wondering this. Waitlisted this morning, interviewed in Feb. Really hoping for some waitlist movement!

During or interview they said there's a lot of waitlist movement. At least you guys are on it I haven't even heard back yet since October.

During or interview they said there's a lot of waitlist movement. At least you guys are on it I haven't even heard back yet since October.

Your profile pic is exactly how i imagine you saying this lol.

Also, based on what I see on the MSAR, Geisel usually waitlists between 150-200 people and accepts around 5-15 off the WL.

Last edited:
Your profile pic is exactly how i imagine you saying this lol.

Also, based on what I see on the MSAR, Geisel usually waitlists between 150-200 people and accepts around 5-15 off the WL.

You're right, I did type it very flippantly.

Also maybe I misinterpreted what was said. They said the waitlist quickly whittles down to a fraction of what was originally on it. Maybe because they accept a lot of qualified applicants who end up choosing other schools?

You're right, I did type it very flippantly.

Also maybe I misinterpreted what was said. They said the waitlist quickly whittles down to a fraction of what was originally on it. Maybe because they accept a lot of qualified applicants who end up choosing other schools?

Plausible hypothesis.

I'm not entirely sure why Geisel's words do not match up with what the MSAR says. But surely, we will all find out our fates in due time

I just wish time were due sooner rather than later lol

3 people this year attempted to match ortho and did not match. So I suppose that accounts for 3 out of ~16 difference.

How do you figure out how many people attempted to match ortho and did not end up matching? Nevertheless, that sucks :( I wonder what happened, last year had many

Waitlisted a couple days ago. Interviewed 3/9

Anybody hear anything today?? I thought for sure based off threads of Christmas past that we may get a glimpse of an acceptance or two today after their April Thursday meeting..

Anybody hear anything today?? I thought for sure based off threads of Christmas past that we may get a glimpse of an acceptance or two today after their April Thursday meeting..

I guess maybe next week then. I mean it's got to be soon though, right??

Has anyone heard about financial aid?

Got my financial aid package.... 13k Geisel Scholarship, 43k federal loans, 3k Geisel loan = 59k total, so I suppose I'm expected to take out 20k in private loans on top to meet total cost of attendance.

Would you mind sharing when you completed your financial aid package?

Got my financial aid package.... 13k Geisel Scholarship, 43k federal loans, 3k Geisel loan = 59k total, so I suppose I'm expected to take out 20k in private loans on top to meet total cost of attendance.

Or use Grad Plus loans instead of private to cover the rest. I think.

Shudder...
those numbers looks daunting
66 k in loans * 4 years = something like $264, 000 in debt by the time you get out...?
:wow::uhno:

As far as I know from my host student Geisel is broke because the school was promised money that it now doesn't have, from Dr. Seus (whose wife now fights to keep the donation) and from Dartmouth college (which now has a new Dean who cares less about the med school than the previous Dean). It looks like financial aid is impacted because it seems worst than in the past. Perhaps current students can confirm or negate this

In the same boat here...was surprised at how little I got. 22k in grants, 43k in federal loans and a 3k in Geisel loan....so that leaves about 15k either for my parents or private loans. They also expect a 5k contribution from summer earnings lol. At another school my need based financial aid was 40k in grants :O

That's just wonderful, I guess I can't expect that much financial contribution since I'm also international. ):

can anyone with an EFC of 0 chime in with how much aid they received? I got a pretty low amount and it doesn't make sense.. I guess the school is really struggling with the finances :\

Shudder...
those numbers looks daunting
66 k in loans * 4 years = something like $264, 000 in debt by the time you get out...?
:wow::uhno:

As far as I know from my host student Geisel is broke because the school was promised money that it now doesn't have, from Dr. Seus (whose wife now fights to keep the donation) and from Dartmouth college (which now has a new Dean who cares less about the med school than the previous Dean). It looks like financial aid is impacted because it seems worst than in the past. Perhaps current students can confirm or negate this
I may be wrong on this but that's not what I have heard through the grape vine... I have heard their financial troubles go far deeper than that.

Is there somewhere we can get reliable information about this?