2016-2017 Cooper Medical School of Rowan University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Will likely be withdrawing my II to this school this week..... Just need to have a few questions answered.
Hope it goes to one of you!

Members don't see this ad.

On last year's thread it says there was a "HIGH priority waitlist". I'm on the "priority waitlist", but was under the impression that was all there was. Can anyone clarify this?

Members don't see this ad :)
On last year's thread it says there was a "HIGH priority waitlist". I'm on the "priority waitlist", but was under the impression that was all there was. Can anyone clarify this?
I believe there is priority waitlist and waitlist. The e-mail description of the priority waitlist made it seem like it was the closest you can get to not currently having an acceptance. So if there's a high priority waitlist, I'd be surprised. I'm not 100% certain, so someone please correct me if I'm mistaken.

There's no such thing as a "high" priority waitlist. People stating that are just mistyping. There's a priority waitlist and a regular waitlist. The priority waitlist should indicate in bold in the email you're on the priority waitlist and among the first to get spots as they open. There are supposedly priority and regular waitlist for both IS and OOS. So if you're instate and priority you should be on a separate list than if you're OOS and priority.

Thanks for the clarification. Anyone have any idea how many applicants are waitlisted and how many usually get off?

ahh received the HOLD (interviewed last week) email that says they ran out of time...*cue pre med neuroticism*
really loved the school! i have heard various things regarding if the committee meets every week or every other week...could anyone clarify who remembers what they said at recent interviews? just wondering if I can expect a decision a week or two from today

ahh received the HOLD (interviewed last week) email that says they ran out of time...*cue pre med neuroticism*
really loved the school! i have heard various things regarding if the committee meets every week or every other week...could anyone clarify who remembers what they said at recent interviews? just wondering if I can expect a decision a week or two from today

Hey, they meet every other weeks, so you're gonna have to wait for two weeks from today for a decision.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, they meet every other weeks, so you're gonna have to wait for two weeks from today for a decision.
I second that. Also don't be too stressed. It isn't always bad new to have that "Hold" email. I was put on the priority waitlist after being on "Hold". Hope this helps relieve some stress. :)

I second that. Also don't be too stressed. It isn't always bad new to have that "Hold" email. I was put on the priority waitlist after being on "Hold". Hope this helps relieve some stress. :)
thank you both! haha I hear the priority waitlist is a good spot to be in so yes, it helps! but as we all know, not hearing back can cause a huge mix of emotions! well, here's to another 2 weeks of waiting...good luck everyone!

Interviewing here this week! So excited! :banana:Does anyone have tips or experiences to share from interview day?

Interviewing here this week! So excited! :banana:Does anyone have tips or experiences to share from interview day?

Just relax. Most of the day is spent in a beautiful conference room, 50% of which you get presented at, and 50% you get to talk to other applicants and a few current students. There will be a bunch of people there that invited to interview, so you know that they're good people. Everyone I talked to found their interviewers to be really relaxed. My only tip is to relax. If you're at the interview they already like you a lot!

Just relax. Most of the day is spent in a beautiful conference room, 50% of which you get presented at, and 50% you get to talk to other applicants and a few current students. There will be a bunch of people there that invited to interview, so you know that they're good people. Everyone I talked to found their interviewers to be really relaxed. My only tip is to relax. If you're at the interview they already like you a lot!
Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know your chance of acceptance if you receive an interview here? I'm interviewing this Friday and I'm really excited! Thanks all :)

Probably a silly question, but for people applying for the institutional scholarship, is it worth giving it a try if my financial situation isn't dire? My parents are middle class and I spent the last year and a half working to pay off my undergrad loans. I can't seem to make a compelling essay to demonstrate "need."

Probably a silly question, but for people applying for the institutional scholarship, is it worth giving it a try if my financial situation isn't dire? My parents are middle class and I spent the last year and a half working to pay off my undergrad loans. I can't seem to make a compelling essay to demonstrate "need."
Well...would you sleep better knowing that you at least applied? If you are not considered, at least you filled it out, right? Just my two cents. Simply trying to help out a future classmate.

Well...would you sleep better knowing that you at least applied? If you are not considered, at least you filled it out, right? Just my two cents. Simply trying to help out a future classmate.

You're absolutely right. Thanks brother, I'll get on it now.

Withdrew my II today. I hope that it goes to one of you :)

I know Cooper explicitly says it does not accept updates, but do they accept updates for people on the waitlist?

hi! does anyone know when cooper will start pulling from the wait lists? thanks!

received the hold email 2 weeks ago and anxiously waiting for an update but still havent received any email yet today?! people who interviewed last week, did they say to expect decisions today? @MedHopeful95 @NobleLandMermaid

received the hold email 2 weeks ago and anxiously waiting for an update but still havent received any email yet today?! people who interviewed last week, did they say to expect decisions today? @MedHopeful95 @NobleLandMermaid
They said today but no news so far. Maybe the office was closed due to the snow in the area ? :shrug:Hopefully tomorrow!

They said today but no news so far. Maybe the office was closed due to the snow in the area ? :shrug:Hopefully tomorrow!
Yeah they definitely meant to send these emails out yesterday! Darn snow. I guess I'll just have to go through another day of mini heart attacks whenever I get an email haha! Good luck to you!

I interviewed on 1/20 and after getting the hold email the next week, I just got notified that I'm on the priority wait list. The email says "It will likely be in late May that we will begin making offers to the wait list" but does anyone know if there's any hope of some kind of decision earlier than late May??? That feels like an eternity from now:(

Sooooo I guess we're not hearing today... and so the wait continues

priority waitlist today after interviewing 1/20! pretty excited about it so hoping for good news, no matter how long it takes! whats a few more months of waiting at this point hahah good luck everyone!

I know Cooper explicitly says it does not accept updates, but do they accept updates for people on the waitlist?
yes you can send updates when you're on the waitlist. i did last year! (am a M1)

I interviewed on 1/20 and after getting the hold email the next week, I just got notified that I'm on the priority wait list. The email says "It will likely be in late May that we will begin making offers to the wait list" but does anyone know if there's any hope of some kind of decision earlier than late May??? That feels like an eternity from now:(
i was on the WL and got in early/mid may and i know others who got in later than me. so i would say may or later probably

Waitlisted. Email didn't say priority so I am going to withdraw from waitlist good luck everyone else.

yes you can send updates when you're on the waitlist. i did last year! (am a M1)
how significant should these updates be? the priority waitlist email said theyll be keeping in touch in the following weeks/months so should I wait for them to tell me about updates? are updates expected lol sorry for all the questions!

So my application was put on hold... how big of a negative impact does this have on my application? Like, does it mean that they sincerely ran out of time or that they read my application and there's just no consensus? Thanks all... this wait is killing me!

how significant should these updates be? the priority waitlist email said theyll be keeping in touch in the following weeks/months so should I wait for them to tell me about updates? are updates expected lol sorry for all the questions!
I don't think theyre expected and not really sure if they help but I sent them and got in so I'm basing it off that. I think I sent in about 4-5 combined updates/letters of interest. I was put on the waitlist around this time last year so I sent them between now and when I got accepted in may! Hope that helps

I don't think theyre expected and not really sure if they help but I sent them and got in so I'm basing it off that. I think I sent in about 4-5 combined updates/letters of interest. I was put on the waitlist around this time last year so I sent them between now and when I got accepted in may! Hope that helps
Oh gotcha thanks! So you sent one like once every few weeks?

Withdrawing offer of acceptance! Amazing school with extremely dedicated faculty! Good luck to everyone waiting!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

just out of curiosity, are you IS or OOS? im tryna gauge the movement on IS vs OOS lists since I know they don't take all that many OOS people
i am IS, though i do know some OOS people who got in off the WL

i am IS, though i do know some OOS people who got in off the WL
true true ive definitely read on past threads about OOS getting in off priority WL! Im just trying to gauge my chances being OOS even though that is impossible to predict haha

true true ive definitely read on past threads about OOS getting in off priority WL! Im just trying to gauge my chances being OOS even though that is impossible to predict haha
yeah i totally get it, this time last year i was in your position. good luck :)

It sincerely means they ran out of time or one or more of your interviewers couldn't make the meeting. If one of your interviewers was in a more unpredictable specialty, like surgery, it's even more likely that happened. It has no bearing whatsoever on you as a candidate and doesn't affect your chances.
Oh my, thank you so much for that! I've been thinking of all the scenarios haha. One of my interviewers was a surgeon so that definitely makes sense! Thank you!!

Is anyone else planning on fairly heavily recycling their "why Cooper?" secondary essay for the financial aid essay? It's basically the same question plus something about financial need.

Is anyone else planning on fairly heavily recycling their "why Cooper?" secondary essay for the financial aid essay? It's basically the same question plus something about financial need.

Just interviewed, my "why Cooper" essay was mostly about showing how I fit the mission statement. From what I saw Cooper is really into service, and that question is asking if that's something you believe in.

So I know that the adcom meets tomorrow. I was always told to wait a week before sending thank-you notes. I just sent mine to the Director of Admissions as instructed; do you think that they'll reach my interviewers before they decide?