2016-2017 Charles Drew/UCLA Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have any suggestions of what hotel is good for me to stay at the night before the interview?

I would suggest staying in a hotel near LAX and take an uber, Drew is around 15 minutes away from the airport without traffic.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For those that have interviewed already, what time was the day finished? What is the earliest flight out of LAX you would suggest?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
For this that have interviewed already, what time was the day finished? What is the earliest flight out of LAX you would suggest?

So far both interviews have ended around 230 (including the student panel which you can leave during). I'd suggest an evening flight.

Sent from my SM-N930V using SDN mobile

I stayed at the Travelodge Lynwood (https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/trave...ew?CID=LC:TL:20160927:Rio:Local&iata=00065402)
It was a 6 minute drive to the Charles Drew campus, so very close and easy drive.
I know it has relatively low ratings, but I always like to give things a chance. I wasn't disappointed.
The room I stayed in wasn't bad, good for the price and location!

Best of luck! :)

Thanks. Do you recommend leaving the same day or the next morning?
Also, is there really a student mixer the day before interviews? And what is interview day like?

Thanks. Do you recommend leaving the same day or the next morning?
Also, is there really a student mixer the day before interviews? And what is interview day like?

Yes! There's an pre-interview social which happens the night before the interview. The interview days have been ending around 2:30-3:00pm, so you can fly out the same evening if you'd like!

For the social do we just wear slacks and a nice button down shirt?

For the social do we just wear slacks and a nice button down shirt?
I have not gone to any this year, but last year the applicants were dressed comfortably. If slacks and a button down are comfortable, then go for it. But, it's an informal social. :)

Yes! There's an pre-interview social which happens the night before the interview. The interview days have been ending around 2:30-3:00pm, so you can fly out the same evening if you'd like!

Thanks. I'll probably spend the Saturday night in LA as I haven't been before.

Also, do you around what time the social is? I'm trying to book a flight and don't want to miss it

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I'll probably spend the Saturday night in LA as I haven't been before.

Also, do you around what time the social is? I'm trying to book a flight and don't want to miss it
The email says 7-9pm

does anyone know when their secondary deadline is? I still haven't received one.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone interviewing this weekend and will be around during the day on Friday and want to explore PM me! I'll be arriving Friday morning.

Is 2/11 the last interview date at this school? I feel like I have a slim chance of getting in

So no secondary. Does that mean silent rejection?

Has there been any acceptances yet??!

Does that mean all II have been offered?...Still holding out a sliver of hope for an II.
I don't know about that
If you'd like, you can call and ask when is the last day they send out interviews
They are super friendly and responsive

I don't know about that
If you'd like, you can call and ask when is the last day they send out interviews
They are super friendly and responsive

I tried calling multiple times and didn't get an answer, even left a message. No response.

Just got a pre-II rejection so I think they're starting to give those out... Pretty sure I never submitted the secondary lol

Just got a pre-II rejection so I think they're starting to give those out... Pretty sure I never submitted the secondary lol

Same. I was really surprised to even get a rejection. tbh forgot I even applied there.

Pre-II rejection. Never completed a secondary.

Pre-secondary so it was expected still sucks though

Pre-secondary so it was expected still sucks though

Ooo. Well if it makes you feel better, they have two screening processes once you have interviewed. Ucla Drew chooses the top of those interviews and then gives them to UCLA and then they make the choice. Hella hurdles. Per: ucla drew meeting b4 interviews

Does anyone know if Charles Drew will give out acceptances earlier than January?

has anyone gotten a call this lately for an interview? They said that either this week or next, they will fill out the remaining spots

To people that have interviewed/are going to interview, when did you get the email about the Friday night social? I haven't gotten one and I interview in January.

Excited to say I'm interviewing here on Valentine's Day! Anyone else in my group?

Reactions: 1 users
any updates on when they will begin to send out acceptances? they had originally said after Jan 15 :D