2016-2017 Central Michigan University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If anyone hears anymore news today please post so my obsessive checking will not be totally pointless :woot:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
if you get off the WL do they call you or is it by email?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
OMGHDJSGKHJH just got the call!!!!! I cried like a baby!! CMED here I come!!

Reactions: 7 users
JUST GOT THE ACCEPTANCE CALL!!!!!!!! What do I even do with myself right now?!?!?! Was on the wait list

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 9 users
Congratulations to everyone who got admitted today! I haven't heard anything yet, do you think they're doing more calls tomorrow?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got a call to be admitted into CMED. I'm really excited! Anyone have suggestions for apartments? I've called a few and they are all full. Anyone else looking for a female roommate?
Just got accepted too and looking for a female roommate too!! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know if they are all done offering waitlist positions for 2017? I think I'll call Monday and inquire. Keeping my hopes up for this long is becoming painful. :arghh:

Anyone know if they are all done offering waitlist positions for 2017? I think I'll call Monday and inquire. Keeping my hopes up for this long is becoming painful. :arghh:

They are definitely NOT done offering positions. They may offer spots all the way up to matriculation the first week in August.

I think so far only the first round post April 30 has gone out. There's probably going to be more action yet!

Just got accepted! OOS, was on hold, and was on the waitlist.
LM ~68

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Got admitted a little while ago!!! Secondary done in late October, interviewed in January, waitlisted in early March. IS, GPA 3.7, MCAT 507 Good luck to everyone else waiting!

Reactions: 5 users
For those of you on the wait list... hang in there.. I just saw this on MSAR

Typical number of waitlist positions per cycle
Approximately 100
Number of acceptance offers granted to applicants on the waitlist
Waitlist procedures and information
Unranked...applicants chosen based on current class need.

I was accepted off the waitlist on May 3rd. If anyone is starting to look for a roommate, feel free to message me! I would prefer a female roommate and will be looking for a two bedroom two bath place!

I was accepted off the waitlist on May 3rd. If anyone is starting to look for a roommate, feel free to message me! I would prefer a female roommate and will be looking for a two bedroom two bath place!

I'm looking for one too! I was also accepted may 3 lol I'll pm u!

I just got a call saying they're extending an offer to me!! I'm kind of still in disbelief though, I'm waiting for that email ;)

Reactions: 7 users
This post is a little late in the cycle, but as a current student I wanted to offer my opinion on CMED. I made a new account because I don't want this linked to me as administrators and other students have tried to dissuade people from posting negative things on message boards. There is no hiding that CMED is a young school and with that comes growing pains. There is a very large amount of faculty turnover here. Some is for the best, but some of the best professors have left the school and their replacements are unproven. The faculty have avoided releasing any details about Step 1 scores besides saying they are less than desired. When asked, they say they are not allowed to share the information. The Dean held a townhall meeting and a student asked what the Step 1 average was and the Dean said he had forgotten what the average was, yet he was able to list off the number of students rotating at numerous sites around the state. Some of the lectures are history lessons of drugs and barely explain the mechanisms and side effects and student complaints have so far fallen on deaf ears. A pharmacist gave the pharm lectures during the first semester, but has not been teaching any of the pharm lectures for the last 12 weeks. One of the professors has screamed at students and criticized students for supposedly anonymous evaluations, saying that he knew who wrote the evaluation.

During your interviews, the students and staff emphasized the group curriculum and PBL experience. It sounds great until you realize that it is inefficient and much of the time is spent by students arguing over minute details. Some of the cases are good learning tools, but many cases lack guidance, leaving students wondering what they are supposed to understand. This post may sound like I hate CMED, but I love CMED and am grateful to be here. Most of the faculty are very welcoming and some professors are incredibly knowledgeable, but every student should know the truth about what is going on at a school they are interested in.

Just as a reply (and in some ways a backing-up of) the post by CMUStudent (whom I believe to be a true CMed student). Many know who I am on campus, and I won't hide what I have to say.

The lack of CMed releasing the Step scores is frustrating, especially in light of nearly every other school I looked at being willing to release their scores. I don't understand the logic of "hiding" those scores, as it nearly makes the school look worse than a lower average score would. Yet the fact remains, you can raise your own score depending on how hard you work and how determined you are. The curriculum does come in to play, but your own determination is far more important in that score.

Since I have started here, two professors have left. Dr. Fleischmann retired to Texas, to be with his family. He's in his 70's (I think??), and has definitely earned that time with his loved ones. He was one of the best profs I've had the honor to learn from and be mentored by, and he will be greatly missed. His replacement is Dr. Conway (Michael Conway | Central Michigan University), a Yale graduate, who has been more than willing to sit down and explain thing to me that have been confusing at times. The other faculty that left is Dr. DeFriez, who moved to California to also be with his family (his daughter who became a new mother in the past two years, I believe). He was a very compassionate and kind professor, and will also be greatly missed. I'm honestly not sure which professor is taking over his position.

Our Pharm lectures have sometimes been history lessons combined with drug mechanisms, and I'll admit I'm a little frustrated at this as well at times. (Our pharmD is on maternity leave because she just had her baby girl in December). Yet, every lecture has a "list of drugs you need to know" at the end, and as long as you look in First Aid, or Merck Manuals, and make sure you have the basics of those drugs... you'll do fine (on both the exams and the practice step questions). As I mentioned, Dr. Alan (Jamie Alan | Central Michigan University), our PharmD/PhD usually teaches the drugs (She'll be back in the fall!!!!). While she is on maternity leave she is more than willing to sit down and explain drugs that we don't understand, she usually responds to my emails within 6 hours. She even made us a special slide show to back up the lecture on hypertension drugs we received from someone else - all while on maternity leave.

The comment about the professor "screaming" at us... is a little exaggerated. He basically told us that all of the nit-picky concern cards were inappropriate (for example, some people in my class will submit a "concern card" over a professor holding his coffee cup too much, not walking enough during lecture, or showing too many pictures of his dogs - 2-3 pictures during lecture "half time", meant as a momentary break during very difficult embryology concepts). Some people in class laughed at him when he said this, and he then said that the lack of professionalism by a certain number of students was noticed by the faculty and the class as a whole (how could you not notice students laughing at you?). This professor is quite passionate and skilled and hates being disrespected. I think he was blatantly disrespected this day, and I honestly think his comments were warranted. Our concern cards are anonymous, I checked.

Lastly, sometimes the cases (in group learning settings) are confusing. We do have a feedback system for every single case, where we can submit (again anonymous) suggestions and critiques on how to make a case better. A group that spends too much time arguing about unnecessary details might want to utilize the available professors who always sit outside our group rooms and wait for student questions. They could also call in a facilitator to help with the group dynamics. There have been a few times I had to go and ask the prof what they meant by a question, or how detailed they wanted my team to be. We also have class activities right after our cases to make sure we got the needed information from each case. I think the group learning is more than just learning the material... I also believe it is a lesson on how to work with people of different backgrounds and knowledge levels, how to utilize different skill sets, and how to effectively communicate with your team mates. These are very valuable lessons for our futures as doctors.

I've been frustrated at times as well, especially now towards the end of first year when I'm tired and want to go outside and enjoy sunshine (not sit in lecture). Med school is very difficult. Yet, without designing an entire curriculum specific to my needs, with professors specific to my learning styles, I'm not sure any school can ever be perfect in its curriculum. CMed is a new school, and will still have growing pains for several years yet. However, as a whole I believe the school is doing everything it possibly can to help me become a competent and compassionate physician. The professors are always available and very happy to answer questions and help me learn, as well as mentor me and help me through difficult things I have in my personal life. They care about me as a person, knew my name just weeks into school, and are available every time I have a question.

That's all I have to say, I think. Apologies for the long-windedness. I'm going to go drink my coffee and study glomerulonephritis. Please feel free to message me if you have any specific questions or want any additional clarifications.

Congratulations to all who were accepted and will be joining us in August, and fingers crossed to those still on a wait list!

Last edited:
I will respond to your comments, but I will not engage in a battle with a peer online. The faculty here is very open and willing to help, but that does not excuse the quality of lectures we have received. Dr. Alan was able to offer lectures earlier in the year via video and the administration has not allowed her to give more lectures. Also, she will only be giving a few pharm lectures in the next year and the rest of the pharm lectures will come from an undetermined source.
The screaming by the professor was in no way exaggerated. Last week, the same professor berated students and another faculty member for students not having ophthalmoscopes for a clinical experience. This morning, the professor got into a student's face when the student asked for clarification on how to perform part of a physical exam. The reason students may laugh at this professor is because of his lack of professional decorum.
There is a feedback system for the cases, but the feedback has not been used or been used very sparingly. I said nothing about a group spending too much time arguing about minute details during cases, but during the quiz session after cases. Students frequently argue minutiae which greatly takes away from the learning experience. CMED has shown a lack of receptiveness to change what is an inefficient way to learn. The number of cases should be reduced and replaced by lectures where material is presented clearly and makes good use of students' time. There is no doubt the faculty cares about us and medical school is largely based off an individual puts in, but all interested students deserve to know what is going on at CMED instead of the sugar coated version that is often given out here and at many other schools.

I will respond to your comments, but I will not engage in a battle with a peer online. The faculty here is very open and willing to help, but that does not excuse the quality of lectures we have received. Dr. Alan was able to offer lectures earlier in the year via video and the administration has not allowed her to give more lectures. Also, she will only be giving a few pharm lectures in the next year and the rest of the pharm lectures will come from an undetermined source.
The screaming by the professor was in no way exaggerated. Last week, the same professor berated students and another faculty member for students not having ophthalmoscopes for a clinical experience. This morning, the professor got into a student's face when the student asked for clarification on how to perform part of a physical exam. The reason students may laugh at this professor is because of his lack of professional decorum.
There is a feedback system for the cases, but the feedback has not been used or been used very sparingly. I said nothing about a group spending too much time arguing about minute details during cases, but during the quiz session after cases. Students frequently argue minutiae which greatly takes away from the learning experience. CMED has shown a lack of receptiveness to change what is an inefficient way to learn. The number of cases should be reduced and replaced by lectures where material is presented clearly and makes good use of students' time. There is no doubt the faculty cares about us and medical school is largely based off an individual puts in, but all interested students deserve to know what is going on at CMED instead of the sugar coated version that is often given out here and at many other schools.

I don't disagree with anything you are saying, however I have a different perspective. I've worked a lot with that professor you are referring to, and he can get feisty, yet this does not come from anger in his part. Ive talked to him about it. He raises his voice when he's interrupted, or when he's trying to explain things, or when he gets excited... not becausd he is pissed.

The feedback for our cases can't happen for us, either because time is needed for adjustment or because we already had the case... those changes happen for the next class (our incoming colleagues). I know of cases that have been adjusted and rewritten for the class of 2021 based on the class of 2020's feedback.

Honestly, I remember and process case material MUCH better than lecture, and I greatly appreciate the case's methods of explaining lectures. Yet, if you're a lecture learner, I completely understand why you'd be frustrated. Fair warning to those considering CMed, if you don't like team activities, if you want to study all on your own and not be forced to learn with and from classmates... consider a school with a more traditional (old school) curriculum. However, medicine is about teamwork and collaboration.

Honestly, I'm just not fond of the airing of dirty laundry in a place that is anonymous. Every class that comes to Cmed will make it better, leaving their impact on the school. Instead of airing grievances we should be doing all we can to ensure the presence of colleagues that will raise us all up, rather than scare them away.

thanks for this invaluable information. are the PBL cases graded/how are they graded? this could be why people want to be so nit-picky about minute details.

Hey guys, do you think there will be any more significant movement off the waitlist? Been waitlisted since October, OOS. I wonder how full the class is at this point.

thanks for this invaluable information. are the PBL cases graded/how are they graded? this could be why people want to be so nit-picky about minute details.

I'll help out with a reply. Our curriculum is pass/fail, and each case is tested based on a combination of percentages on individual/group closed-notes test combined with a second group activity where we can look things up. A lot of our midterm/final test material does come from the cases though, as our material is connected to the patient cases (some organ systems more so than others). Some of the groups seem to be more nit-picky than others, and it seems to depend a lot on the group dynamics. There are some people that really like the minute details, and others the broad pictures.

Hey guys, do you think there will be any more significant movement off the waitlist? Been waitlisted since October, OOS. I wonder how full the class is at this point.

Not sure, it's hard to say at this point as it depends on how many people accept the invitations to join us this fall. I am sorry I can't give you a more clear answer. I'd imagine the class if largely filled, and openings will come up when people withdraw their acceptances.

Hey everyone, so my prospective roomie got accepted elsewhere and withdrew from CMU so now I'm back at square 1. Feel free to pm me if u are still looking for a roommate :)

I have no idea what size of the white coat to order. What are these things supposed to fit like on women? I don't know if there is a female student here to give an advice?! or maybe a male student with a good advice. Thank you in advance.

I have no idea what size of the white coat to order. What are these things supposed to fit like on women? I don't know if there is a female student here to give an advice?! or maybe a male student with a good advice. Thank you in advance.

I could help... but has the FB group been active? There's some great current M1's on there that might be able to help and you can exchange personal info (which isn't advisable here usually)

I could help... but has the FB group been active? There's some great current M1's on there that might be able to help and you can exchange personal info (which isn't advisable here usually)
Thank you, I sent in the coat order today so I'll keep my fingers crossed it fits properly :xf::laugh:

Thank you, I sent in the coat order today so I'll keep my fingers crossed it fits properly :xf::laugh:

They said they order extra coats in all sizes so that people can get another one if it doesn't fit the way you want

I did just get off the waitlist, and I still don't believe it.

I actually received an email instead of a call because I was told that the person who makes calls was not there.

Imagine my nerves because they usually send emails to inform people of rejection. I called admissions to verify, and I indeed got in!!!!

I actually received an email instead of a call because I was told that the person who makes calls was not there.

Imagine my nerves because they usually send emails to inform people of rejection. I called admissions to verify, and I indeed got in!!!!

CONGRATS!!!!!

Big congratulations to you see you in school

Hey everyone, just received an interview today. :D This is my first choice. What's the best way to prep for MMIs?