2016-2017 Baylor College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
re:
May be a silly question, but for the medical students on here, does BCM give merit scholarships? If so, do you know how frequent and large the are?

~~~~~~

BCM definitely gives merit scholarships, which is like ice cream on the cake, because it is already VERY affordable by medical school standards even without a scholarship.

Our daughter (an OOS applicant) got a 50% merit scholarship offer with her offer in early May (from the WL). It was in the form of 50% of the OOS tuition for MS1, then 50% of the IS tuition for years MS2-MS4. Translated-- they expected her to establish residence ASAP, which we did. BCM was then far cheaper (~ $70k for tuition) than our IS public school...in fact, it would have been well less costly than the IS public school even without the merit scholarship.

BCM is too modest when claiming that they are "the most affordable private medical school in America"...normally, they are the best value PERIOD. And given their high average Step scores and great Match Lists, they are surely a stunning value in terms of bang for your buck.
Do you believe that sending a letter of intent would put you out of the running for any scholarships? Did your daughter send a LOI to Baylor?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how likely it is to get an acceptance at this point? Are there still seats left over? How's the waitlist movement at Baylor?

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how likely it is to get an acceptance at this point? Are there still seats left over? How's the waitlist movement at Baylor?
The last 2 years offers to people on the wait list started April 15-22. Offers continued up through late May.

Members don't see this ad :)
The last 2 years offers to people on the wait list started April 15-22. Offers continued up through late May.
Thank you! That means there is still hope! ><

And based off past threads, they might start another round of calls today....

Will we hear about merit scholarships before April 30th??

Got a couple missed calls yesterday afternoon but they called back and was accepted this morning! LizzyM 75, IS. Checked the file thing and there was no change right before I got the calls or the day before.

Reactions: 1 users
Got a couple missed calls yesterday afternoon but they called back and was accepted this morning! LizzyM 75, IS. Checked the file thing and there was no change right before I got the calls or the day before.
Congratulations!!! When did you interview? Mind sharing your stats????

Congratulations!
So, Tue the 14th and now Thu the 23th some people heard the good news. Any idea when would be the next batch? Next week? Days are not consistent, but I hope we hear at least once a week?

Just called adcom office. They're still giving out acceptances but didn't tell me if there are any adcom meetings between now and second look. Also, no idea what % of the class is filled.

Reactions: 2 users
Just called adcom office. They're still giving out acceptances but didn't tell me if there are any adcom meetings between now and second look. Also, no idea what % of the class is filled.
Did they tell you if the timing of the calls is based on ranking or based on interview date?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did they tell you if the timing of the calls is based on ranking or based on interview date?
Pretty sure it is based on rank, but sometimes the rank correlates to what date you interviewed because they often offer the first spots to the most promising candidates, and there are more spots open the earlier you interview.

I feel like I heard someone say that only one of the Deans is making the bulk of the calls, which would mean that the calls would probably be pretty spaced out based on the Dean's availability. Has anyone heard something similar?

I interviewed the same day as dockingprocedure and my stats are almost identical so I'm scared that if they don't call me around this time, they just never will

I interviewed the same day as dockingprocedure and my stats are almost identical so I'm scared that if they don't call me around this time, they just never will
Don't overthink it. Most people who score an interview have similar stats and your ranking could be anything. Admissions seem to be going out even slower than in previous years.

Honestly the woman who answered was very vague/nonchalant. She just said (verbatim) "if we accept you, you'll get a call" haha. I'm not sure if she would disclose this info even if asked.

Did anyone who sent an update get a confirmation email or something back?

So....has anyone else gotten accepted? I'm so confused. It doesn't seem like that many people have been accepted yet (I'm comparing the responses on this forum to those of other schools with comparable acceptance numbers), but there's only a week left before the massive waitlist/rejection email, right?

Also, does anyone know what the waitlist movement is like at Baylor?

So....has anyone else gotten accepted? I'm so confused. It doesn't seem like that many people have been accepted yet (I'm comparing the responses on this forum to those of other schools with comparable acceptance numbers), but there's only a week left before the massive waitlist/rejection email, right?

It looks like last year they didn't send out their waitlist email until early May.

(*cries internally*)

Wait, I didn't know they ever sent "rejection" letters until the class was full, but I guess it makes sense if they have a huge wait list. When is the exact date?

Did anyone who sent an update get a confirmation email or something back?
I only sent thank you notes after the interview and one letter of intent but I never got any response back. I guess that's just the way they do it.

On one hand, that gives me hope that we might still get accepted, but on the other, every day I'm struggling more and more to keep my hopes high. *sigh* love hurts people </3

Wait, I didn't know they ever sent "rejection" letters until the class was full, but I guess it makes sense if they have a huge wait list. When is the exact date?
They don't send out rejection letters like some schools do. At the end they will send out a letter to all still on the waitlist saying "our class is now complete".

Per MSAR, Baylor typically offers 500-550 waitlist spots and typically accepts 15 of those people. Per last year's thread, it seems that final 'class is complete' email went out June 17th.

Doing what I can to keep hope alive because Baylor is my number one <3

I also interviewed in November

Per MSAR, Baylor typically offers 500-550 waitlist spots and typically accepts 15 of those people. Per last year's thread, it seems that final 'class is complete' email went out June 17th.

Doing what I can to keep hope alive because Baylor is my number one <3

I also interviewed in November
Same here!:(:love:

Okay so I was really bored at work and went through the FB group. There are ~210 people that aren't explicitly current students (though I probably overcounted, since some had profiles too private to see if they were students or not). So my best guess is with second look this weekend, they've filled the initial 180 seats of the class. USNWR reports they accept roughly 300 so there are definitely still acceptances to come!

Okay so I was really bored at work and went through the FB group. There are ~210 people that aren't explicitly current students (though I probably overcounted, since some had profiles too private to see if they were students or not). So my best guess is with second look this weekend, they've filled the initial 180 seats of the class. USNWR reports they accept roughly 300 so there are definitely still acceptances to come!
looks like you are still interested in Baylor :angelic:?

looks like you are still interested in Baylor :angelic:?

I am pretty set on going to UTSW at this point but I still would like to hear back from Baylor.

I've been waiting since September and still haven't heard anything :( Baylor is my dream school

I am pretty set on going to UTSW at this point but I still would like to hear back from Baylor.
I'm in the exact same situation as you, and personally I think it's healthier just to let it go. I think us premeds can be neurotic and have fragile egos when it comes to the admissions process, but ultimately we have to pick and chose our battles. If we get accepted to somewhere we like (and even intend to go), it's much better to focus on that path and be grateful/proud. Being left hanging by Baylor for months on end is a ****ty situation, but ultimately any speculation will be inaccurate and not make any difference in the final outcome.

I don't mean to sound judgy -- I've also spent some time over-thinking everything from details of my interviews to my general worth as a human being. And I've stalked this thread for months, eagerly anticipating every new post (even though I would probably also turn down Baylor for UTSW, if offered the choice). But soon I realized it was the validation I really wanted, validation from a school slightly-higher ranked, based on some arcane rankings, than my real top choice. Part of me wanted to gloat about it. Accepting this about myself has brought me a lot of peace, and an understanding that such validation is so very temporary.

Reactions: 7 users
I'm in the exact same situation as you, and personally I think it's healthier just to let it go. I think us premeds can be neurotic and have fragile egos when it comes to the admissions process, but ultimately we have to pick and chose our battles. If we get accepted to somewhere we like (and even intend to go), it's much better to focus on that path and be grateful/proud. Being left hanging by Baylor for months on end is a ****ty situation, but ultimately any speculation will be inaccurate and not make any difference in the final outcome.

I don't mean to sound judgy -- I've also spent some time over-thinking everything from details of my interviews to my general worth as a human being. And I've stalked this thread for months, eagerly anticipating every new post (even though I would probably also turn down Baylor for UTSW, if offered the choice). But soon I realized it was the validation I really wanted, validation from a school slightly-higher ranked, based on some arcane rankings, than my real top choice. Part of me wanted to gloat about it. Accepting this about myself has brought me a lot of peace, and an understanding that such validation is so very temporary.
Preach. In the end, it's not about getting into a highly ranked program, it's about going somewhere that will get us started in our careers as physicians. I was really bummed out when I didn't get in to UTSW. It got to the point of an obsession, checking SDN constantly and spending hours reviewing my interviews in my mind. But that wasn't a way to live. I sat back, thought about it, and realized that I'd already won the lottery getting into any medical school. For that, I was grateful. What's more, acceptance is a two-way street. The school that accepts you hand-picked you out of a HUGE crowd. I feel like that's a strong indicator for where you will be best trained and most impactful as a medical student.

All of us wrote about why we are passionate about medicine and caring for others in our personal statements. Now it's time to be grateful for the opportunity we've been given to earn that M.D. or D.O. I agree that it would be nice to know with certainty where you'll be going to school for logistic reasons, but we can't lose sight of the bigger picture.

And then again, where you complete your residency means so much more for your career, IMO. Opinion, @wysdoc?

I agree with what you're saying -- I let it go and I mentally committed to my other option months ago, which I am very happy with and extremely grateful for. I just want to hear back for curiosity's sake. It's not validation that I'm after -- I'm the type of person that likes to see things through to the end, and I just would like an answer after spending time and money to interview and waiting six months.

Reverse situation here @Skittsie13. I had basically already decided on BCM but still really wanted to hear back from UTSW. I eventually pulled my application from UTSW for my own sanity, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I wish I'd done it sooner tbh. It allowed me to stop worrying about a school I likely wasn't going to choose even if I was accepted and start really getting excited about Baylor and moving to Houston! Obviously that isn't an option for everyone, and if you're still honestly considering both then keep on keeping on, but if you're pretty set then it's something to consider :)

Hope to see some of y'all at second look this weekend! And if you're worried because you cannot attend or haven't been accepted yet, don't worry, I didn't attend as an MS0 either. The Facebook page is an excellent resource for information about BCM, med school life, Houston living etc. You are also always welcome to message one of the many BCM students lurking on this thread (including me!) with any questions

Just for the sake of perspective, I interviewed in October and wasn't accepted until late April (the 23rd or so...) so don't lose hope! I had also mentally committed to another school at that point.

Pretty much my boat too. Wished I had the validation of more acceptances (and maybe merit scholarships) but I'm in and that's ultimately what matters

Just for the sake of perspective, I interviewed in October and wasn't accepted until late April (the 23rd or so...) so don't lose hope! I had also mentally committed to another school at that point.
Thanks, man... that gave me a little more hope!

I really like the attitude on this thread right now. I got accepted to UTMB, and now I'm just waiting to hear back from BCM and UTSW...

Work harder. Learn faster.

Thank you so much. This gives me so much hope. T.T

Preach. In the end, it's not about getting into a highly ranked program, it's about going somewhere that will get us started in our careers as physicians. I was really bummed out when I didn't get in to UTSW. It got to the point of an obsession, checking SDN constantly and spending hours reviewing my interviews in my mind. But that wasn't a way to live. I sat back, thought about it, and realized that I'd already won the lottery getting into any medical school. For that, I was grateful. What's more, acceptance is a two-way street. The school that accepts you hand-picked you out of a HUGE crowd. I feel like that's a strong indicator for where you will be best trained and most impactful as a medical student.

All of us wrote about why we are passionate about medicine and caring for others in our personal statements. Now it's time to be grateful for the opportunity we've been given to earn that M.D. or D.O. I agree that it would be nice to know with certainty where you'll be going to school for logistic reasons, but we can't lose sight of the bigger picture.

And then again, where you complete your residency means so much more for your career, IMO. Opinion, @wysdoc?

@DavyJonesDoctor @whynotzoidberg? @Skittsie13 Since we're still in the time span for possible wait list movement it is perfectly fine to see what comes to you. Later, I agree that pining for "the one" school too long after the decisions have been made could get in the way of your excitement for starting medical school in the school that accepted you. So yeah, be sad for a day or two, then get happy to start the most interesting school experience you will ever have. It's the type of deep learning few get to do. Own your school, embrace it, and grab it with both hands. If you act glad to be there the attitude will be contagious! Find something to like and be engaged in every day and the learning will be fun. Regarding whether your med school or residency is more important, they are both important in different ways but I hope you will all be lucky to find one that fits your personality well.

torn between UTSW and Baylor? :lame:

anyone else in the same boat right now?

Absolutely. I'm so conflicted right now. Baylor seems to have more prestige right now, but I feel like it's riding on the tail of its reputation from the heyday. They're having serious budget problems, and they've been dropping in rankings almost yearly. A few years ago, they were 13th and now they're 20th (subjectively according to US News, of course). UTSW is only a few spots behind, and they've been climbing. On top of that, a survey to residency directors actually ranked UTSW as a better school than Baylor. The UTSW campus is much nicer, and the faculty at UTSW seems to care more too. The one thing holding me back from committing to UTSW right this second is the Baylor brand, which I fear is going to fade a bit over the next 5-10 years.

It seems like you're leaning towards UTSW. Both of these schools are great schools and the difference in ranking is so negligible. Most schools, even those in the top ten, admit that the US News rankings isn't something great to bank your decision on. The Baylor brand sure is a house hold name in Texas but both seem very well-regarded in the field. Im pretty sure both schools will prepare you well to be a great physician and will give you the opportunities needed to do well in the match. It all comes down to what school you feel is the best fit for you. Where did you feel most "at home" with during your interviews?

It was a little hard for me to pick between these two schools but I ultimately feel that UTSW is the best choice for me because of location and the community on campus.

I'm a physician in combination academic/private practice medicine in Houston. I went to Med school at UTSW and residency at Baylor. No question both excellent schools. I will say that nothing compares to the hands on clinical experience at Parkland, we all felt confident and well prepared when we started internships. We were not afraid of the work and have always felt we were less overwhelmed than many of our peers regardless of specialty. I agree with the opinion that you should go with your gut and choose the school you felt is the best fit for you. Nothing will ever compare to the shared experiences you will have with your classmates and you want to feel comfortable and at home. Congratulations on having such a great decision to make !

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
Absolutely. I'm so conflicted right now. Baylor seems to have more prestige right now, but I feel like it's riding on the tail of its reputation from the heyday. They're having serious budget problems, and they've been dropping in rankings almost yearly. A few years ago, they were 13th and now they're 20th (subjectively according to US News, of course). UTSW is only a few spots behind, and they've been climbing. On top of that, a survey to residency directors actually ranked UTSW as a better school than Baylor. The UTSW campus is much nicer, and the faculty at UTSW seems to care more too. The one thing holding me back from committing to UTSW right this second is the Baylor brand, which I fear is going to fade a bit over the next 5-10 years.
Last I saw BCM and UTSW were tied at 8th for best medical schools for primary care. BCM was 21st and UTSW was tied 25th for best medical schools for research. Is there a combined rank that I missed?

Both schools are very prestigious and have great brands, so I wouldn't put too much weight on perceived reputation differences. In my experience (which granted, is limited) most people consider them about equal at this point.

I really love BCM, but I can't say that I wouldn't have loved UTSW. Things I love about BCM: my classmates, 1.5yrs pre-clinicals, P/F preclinicals, cost of tuition, taking Step 1 late (with protected time off), high Step 1 average (gives me hope), ample research opportunities, many residency spots if I wanted to stay at BCM, proximity to Rice U, and being in the Texas Medical Center. I also think it was a good thing for me to go to med school away from my family/friends (I grew up in Dallas). Houston is a great place to live but pretty much the same as living in Dallas to me. I do think Houston has better/safer public transport. A few of those items are starting to overlap with UTSW as the curriculums are becoming more similar each year.

To be honest, classmates can really make or break your experience, and I'm so grateful for the ones I ended up with. All of that is to say, there are pros/cons to each school. If your pros/cons lists are looking pretty similar, go with your gut!

Last edited:

You're right that Baylor isn't "ranked" as highly as it used to be but I'd like to assure you that it's not in an active descent like you've described. Up until the early 2000s, Baylor was a "top 10" school and they'd held this ranking long enough to earn the prestige you mentioned. A couple of events, however, triggered the perceived drop. The first was a pure technicality having to do with how rankings are computed. A major factor is the total research funding a school and its affiliates receive. Although we are affiliated with MD Anderson, other schools in Texas successfully lobbied to exclude their (massive) research production from counting towards Baylor's rankings. That made a sizeable dent. (To be clear, many Baylor students, residents and faculty do research at MD Anderson and have clinical rotations there. We are definitely affiliated!)

The other major contributor was our divorce from the Methodist hospital system. They were becoming increasingly profit-driven and this pushed Baylor to cut its ties in an effort to preserve our academic purity. Baylor's big exit plan was to build our own private hospital instead, making for an ambitious but viable strategy given our hefty endowment at the time. Significant funding issues evolved, however, when the housing market crashed. Baylor had much of its wealth stored in related markets and the crash tanked our ability to fund the new hospital. This stroke of bad luck left Baylor heavily invested in a partially constructed hospital -- but stranded without the funds to complete it. Operating without a major hospital affiliation, Baylor then found itself without one of its greatest sources of revenue. It was poop situation to say the least!

Clearly, that hurt. But that was about 10 years ago and we've come a long way. A few years back we secured a new affiliation (CHI St. Luke's) and with that partnership we solidified our ability to complete -- and double the size of -- the new private hospital. We're operating with positive profit margins and have been for several years now. Consistent with that, our rankings have been stable around #20 for at least the past 5 years. Again, to be clear, there has not been a "drop in rankings almost yearly." By and large, the ship has been righted and the outlook is very positive here.

Last edited:
Last I saw BCM and UTSW were tied at 8th for best medical schools for primary care. BCM was 21st for research and UTSW was tied 25th for best medical schools for research. Is there a combined rank that I missed?

Both schools are very prestigious and have great brands, so I wouldn't put too much weight on perceived reputation differences! In my experience (which granted, is limited) most people consider them about equal at this point.

I really love BCM, but I can't say that I wouldn't have loved UTSW. Things I love about BCM: my classmates, 1.5yrs pre-clinicals, P/F preclinicals, cost of tuition, taking Step 1 late (with protected time off), high Step 1 average (gives me hope), ample research opportunities, many residency spots if I wanted to stay at BCM, proximity to Rice U, and being in the Texas Medical Center. I also think it was a good thing for me to go to med school away from my family/friends (I grew up in Dallas). Houston is a great place to live but pretty much the same as living in Dallas to me. I do think Houston has better/safer public transport. A few of those items are starting to overlap with UTSW as the curriculums are becoming more similar each year.

To be honest, classmates can really make or break your experience, and I'm so grateful for the ones I ended up with. All of that is to say, there are pros/cons to each school. If your pros/cons lists are looking pretty similar, go with your gut!

Double-posting without shame.

I wholeheartedly agree with her. I'd add that our Step 1 performance is a strength worth emphasizing. For the unfamiliar, Step 1 is like the MCAT of medical school, except it's even more important and is becoming still more important every year. Without a doubt it is the #1 biggest component of your residency application. All that being said, Baylor students consistently crush Step 1, thanks almost entirely to the design of our curriculum. Our average last year was a 246!

In the end though, you should absolutely follow your gut. UTSW is a fantastic school and will absolutely open the same doors as Baylor does. You can't go wrong!

I took a quick look at the class of 2021 members and yes strangely a lot of members also appeared in 2020 class. That is lame - why make individual groups every year if they want to mix everyone up? Also, I noticed a few appear in both UTSW and Baylor. May be they haven't decided which one to pick yet? Looking at these numbers, it seems that both UTSW and Baylor have filled only their class size so far. For some reason Baylor class of 2020 has 760 members. Hmm I wonder why?