2016-2017 Albert Einstein College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What does a typical day look like for first year students? Is it like lectures in the morning and study time in the afternoon?
On most days you can set your own schedule because lectures are recorded. Today for example we had two morning lectures and the afternoon is free, but you can watch the lectures at any time. Or not watch them. The next few days we have one required class each day and a lecture or two.

From ~Nov-Mar though, we had anatomy which was a little over 2 hours in the lab every day. Before that we spent (less) time in lab for histology.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry. Just to clarify, you hadn't received a decision since November? Wow, that's quite a while that they made you wait. Do you have other options? Good luck! And thank you for sharing.

Yeah, 6 months of patience/zen master training. Einstein was my first interview offer so I'll always have a soft spot for them. I'll be going to an in-state school next year. Best of luck to everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
and We were rooting for you like you wouldn't believe it. I'm still hoping for MSTP even though the odds are against me and its the program I truly want.

Reactions: 1 users
and We were rooting for you like you wouldn't believe it. I'm still hoping for MSTP even though the odds are against me and its the program I truly want.
Hey, I'm hoping to hear something from their MSTP as well. Were you waitlisted?

how does housing work here? Do m1's exclusively get studios? Do we need to fill out the waiting list forms?

does anyone know how many days students get to decide to take the spot or not if they are accepted off the waitlist? is it 5 days or 2 weeks?

does anyone know how many days students get to decide to take the spot or not if they are accepted off the waitlist? is it 5 days or 2 weeks?
It's 5 days for now until sometime in July when it becomes 2 days. The exact time frames and dates when it changes from 5 days to 2 days are listed on their website.

Is anyone aware of when we actually have to be on campus and move into housing? I want to travel but need to get the timeline correct.

I don't qualify for the biochem course, so does that mean that I don't need to be there until August 14th (MD Orientation)?

Is anyone aware of when we actually have to be on campus and move into housing? I want to travel but need to get the timeline correct.

I don't qualify for the biochem course, so does that mean that I don't need to be there until August 14th (MD Orientation)?

I think so..I assumed move in day would be either the 13th or the 14th. I guess theyll make it clearer closer to the day though

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted today too. Off the "Status update" waitlist email back in Feb. I got a "are you still interested email" and sent a second letter of interest then. 2 days later (today) I was accepted. For those of you who will ask.

* I am going to matriculate here unless Mayo AZ snags me along the way. Highly unlikely, though.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to all who were accepted yesterday!

If I didn't make it off the wait list yet, have my chances dropped to very, very slim, or do you think there'll still be another big batch of acceptances going out?

Also, is anybody planning on withdrawing their acceptance?

One more thing: has anybody called admissions to express interest? If so, what'd you say when you called?

Last edited:
Congrats to all who were accepted yesterday!

If I didn't make it off the wait list yet, have my chances dropped to very, very slim, or do you think there'll still be another big batch of acceptances going out?

Also, is anybody planning on withdrawing their acceptance?

One more thing: has anybody called admissions to express interest? If so, what'd you say when you called?
At this point, I recommend writing a letter of intent rather than calling to express interest. They do seem receptive to letters. I was recently accepted off of the waitlist, but will have to compare financial aid offers and costs of living before making a final decision. Hope a spot opens up for you.

At this point, I recommend writing a letter of intent rather than calling to express interest. They do seem receptive to letters. I was recently accepted off of the waitlist, but will have to compare financial aid offers and costs of living before making a final decision. Hope a spot opens up for you.
Congratulations on your acceptance!

I have written multiple Letters of Intent, which is why I am wondering if I should try something different. Until now, I have been sending my letters to admissions. Do you think I should send one directly to Dean Kerrigan? Is she receptive to LOIs?

Also, I am working on one large research project this entire year, so there's not much to update about, which makes it difficult to write additional letters. Any ideas?

Lastly, would you mind sharing what's the other school you're deciding between? Just curious :)

Guys, I don't think I can do this any more......

I GOT ACCEPTED !!!!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Lol I just fixed it, apparently it was sent yesterday and thanks

The usual questions: Were you on the hpwl? Did you call/send LOIs? To admissions or Dean Kerrigan directly?
1. "Status update" email in February
2. Sent one LOI right after that (intended on sending another one this week but no need anymore)
3. I sent it to Dean Kerrigan (and cc'ed Bridget Sweeney) according to instructions in the "status update" email

Good luck~

I PM'ed you :)
Congratulations on your acceptance!

I have written multiple Letters of Intent, which is why I am wondering if I should try something different. Until now, I have been sending my letters to admissions. Do you think I should send one directly to Dean Kerrigan? Is she receptive to LOIs?

Also, I am working on one large research project this entire year, so there's not much to update about, which makes it difficult to write additional letters. Any ideas?

Lastly, would you mind sharing what's the other school you're deciding between? Just curious :)
''

They email you an invitation to attend the course and include an application for it, as well as instructions how to email it.
Does anyone know where we sign up for the biochem course?

Anyone confused about the housing application? I called the office and they said to send in both the housing form and the waiting list form, but the waiting list form says not intended for initial assignment. Which one is it? Admittedly I didn't specify that I'm an incoming student when I asked the question, so did they get confused?

Anyone confused about the housing application? I called the office and they said to send in both the housing form and the waiting list form, but the waiting list form says not intended for initial assignment. Which one is it? Admittedly I didn't specify that I'm an incoming student when I asked the question, so did they get confused?
The wait list form is the form to put your name on the wait list for studios upon availability. If you send both forms in, you will be assigned an apartment, and if you have submitted a wait list form, they will contact you in a couple years when a studio becomes available and you are next on the list.

The wait list form is the form to put your name on the wait list for studios upon availability. If you send both forms in, you will be assigned an apartment, and if you have submitted a wait list form, they will contact you in a couple years when a studio becomes available and you are next on the list.
Alright thanks. So if I send in a waitlist form and a few years down the line I'm contacted about being able to get a studio, could I decline if it turns out I like living with other people?

Alright thanks. So if I send in a waitlist form and a few years down the line I'm contacted about being able to get a studio, could I decline if it turns out I like living with other people?
Absolutely! People do that all the time.

Is housing completely unfurnished? No beds or furniture? I have to bring everything myself?
Yep. Completely unfurnished. You will definitely have to furnish your bedroom, but if you get lucky you might have a roommate who has already lived there for a bit and might already have a kitchen table, etc.

Yep. Completely unfurnished. You will definitely have to furnish your bedroom, but if you get lucky you might have a roommate who has already lived there for a bit and might already have a kitchen table, etc.
Wow that blows! How did you get all your stuff there? Rented a uhaul?

Accepted last week from the waitlist!!! Didn't send a LOI, but got the "are you still interested?" email and responded affirmatively. Also, I don't think I ever got an indication of whether or not I was on the HPWL.

Have any folks accepted from the waitlist gotten financial aid packages?

Last edited:
Has anyone tried just emailing the housing form to housing or has everyone actually mailed them?

Accepted last week from the waitlist!!! Didn't send a LOI, but got the "are you still interested?" email and responded affirmatively. Also, I don't think I ever got an indication of whether or not I was on the HPWL.

Have any folks accepted from the waitlist gotten financial aid packages?
Congrats! Was your wait list email the "status update" version? Or was the subject just "wait list"?

@ThinkGoodWillBeGood Thank you so much! It was the "status update".

Just heard that I received a scholarship so I will definitely be attending...wish I could find the words to convey how happy and grateful I feel. It has been an emotionally tumultuous year, but I couldn't be happier with the outcome. To anyone reading this in future years: believe in yourself and never give up!

Wow! That is phenomenal. I am remaining hopeful that I will follow suit. I am very eager to get off the wait list.

@ThinkGoodWillBeGood Thank you so much! It was the "status update".

Just heard that I received a scholarship so I will definitely be attending...wish I could find the words to convey how happy and grateful I feel. It has been an emotionally tumultuous year, but I couldn't be happier with the outcome. To anyone reading this in future years: believe in yourself and never give up!

Wait some of the housing is furnished though correct? I feel like when I was there they said this.

Wow that blows! How did you get all your stuff there? Rented a uhaul?

Yea I just rented a Uhaul because I already had an apartment's worth of stuff. But a lot of people who came here just ordered cheap furniture online and had it delivered, or brought just the essentials and gradually bought things from upperclassmen who were selling things. Think of housing more like a real apartment building and less of a dorm. It would be 3x more expensive if they were furnished.

Wait some of the housing is furnished though correct? I feel like when I was there they said this.
No, none of them come furnished. Housing doesn't supply anything. If you move in with an upperclassmen, they might have already furnished the common spaces, but your bedroom will be completely empty.

No, none of them come furnished. Housing doesn't supply anything. If you move in with an upperclassmen, they might have already furnished the common spaces, but your bedroom will be completely empty.
Oh god so I have to buy an entire furniture set.

Think going to ikea and buying a bed, desk, and chair is a bad idea?

Oh god so I have to buy an entire furniture set.

Think going to ikea and buying a bed, desk, and chair is a bad idea?
Not at all. It's what most people do, and you can even have it delivered to your door. You will also need lamps, because there is no overhead lighting in the bedrooms.

Anyone know if the rooms have wifi only or if they also have ethernet?

Also, is the "bone box" real?