2016-2017 Albany Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted today after being UC since February! So grateful and looking forward to attend.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do we need to send in transcripts and are there any health forms? I was recently accepted and have not been told of this yet. Thanks.

Do we need to send in transcripts and are there any health forms? I was recently accepted and have not been told of this yet. Thanks.
Yes, by July 1st

I was accepted in Feb and still had to email them about it

I talked about an inconsistency between my practice MCAT, actual MCAT, and my GPA. I would say go ahead and say that is an inconsistency but turn it around into a lesson learned.

Since the second score was the higher I wouldn't think you'd want to draw attention to the first score. So I would address it if asked

There is a post on sdn that lists the party line of most mdschools regarding averaging or highesting your 2 scores. Wouldn't take it as gospel but might help in school selection

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi all - I am planning to apply here this cycle, started pre-writing the secondary, and have a couple questions.
For question 2) is getting a 505 (123 cars), then getting a 517 (127 cars) on the second attempt, considered an "inconsistency" and should I explain my low 1st score?
Also, I'm having a little trouble with question 5) about the "one thing" that would help ADCOMS decide if I should be admitted. Any advice on what to write about?

I meant to quote this post

I don't think an up score would be defined as inconsistent.

Reactions: 1 user
Since the second score was the higher I wouldn't think you'd want to draw attention to the first score. So I would address it if asked

There is a post on sdn that lists the party line of most mdschools regarding averaging or highesting your 2 scores. Wouldn't take it as gospel but might help in school selection

My practice MCAT was predicting around 518 but my actual was lower. High GPA though. Don't worry about it, it's kind of hard to explain without you reading my secondary response :p

My practice MCAT was predicting around 518 but my actual was lower. High GPA though. Don't worry about it, it's kind of hard to explain without you reading my secondary response :p

Sorry. I was addressing a different post above. But if you are wondering whether you should mention a high predicted MCAT. I would personally suggest against it. I think that it may be taken the wrong way by a reader. They wouldn't be able to verify and they may see it as an excuse. I may not have understood what you were saying however....

Sorry. I was addressing a different post above. But if you are wondering whether you should mention a high predicted MCAT. I would personally suggest against it. I think that it may be taken the wrong way by a reader. They wouldn't be able to verify and they may see it as an excuse. I may not have understood what you were saying however....

Don't worry about it :p, still got an II so I did something right

Members don't see this ad :)
After looking through the acceptance packet, I see the term "undergraduate medical education" several times. Should I be concerned as I have already finished undergrad? What is the difference and why is the medical education called undergraduate? Thanks in advance.

After looking through the acceptance packet, I see the term "undergraduate medical education" several times. Should I be concerned as I have already finished undergrad? What is the difference and why is the medical education called undergraduate? Thanks in advance.
dont worry about it. that's just how albany refers to your medical education

Should we be hearing about Alternate List decisions soon?

just got an alternate list email, anyone know what this means?

just got an alternate list email, anyone know what this means?
also got it! dont really know what to make of it but as long as there are still seats open, i have a little bit of hope! I wonder if everyone remaining on the UC list got placed on the alternate list

also got it! dont really know what to make of it but as long as there are still seats open, i have a little bit of hope! I wonder if everyone remaining on the UC list got placed on the alternate list

Also received the email. I reckon thats probably how it works.

Last year, a bunch of people got the AR email and shortly after rejections were sent out. I would imagine it's the same this year

just skimmed thru last years thread and found that some people didnt make it from the UC list to the alternate list

EDIT: Skomskom beat me to it haha

According to MSAR, I recall it saying 200 AL offers were made. 50 people accepted to be put on the AL, and 9 people were taken off the AL.

Sent from my SM-G935T using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
According to MSAR, I recall it saying 200 AL offers were made. 50 people accepted to be put on the AL, and 9 people were taken off the AL.

Sent from my SM-G935T using SDN mobile
do you know if it was 9 people ended up matriculating from the list or only 9 people were offered admission from the list?

do you know if it was 9 people ended up matriculating from the list or only 9 people were offered admission from the list?

Quoting the MSAR directly, "Number of acceptance offers granted to applicants on the waitlist". I'm interpreting this as people offered admissions. So roughly a 15% chance of being accepted.

Last edited:
Is there any community involvement/service programs that AMC runs? Ive been looking around on the website for a while and I cant find anything

Accepted after being put on the alternate list earlier this week!!

Reactions: 3 users
Woah congrats! Do you know if you're going to accept?

Probably as it's way closer to home than the other acceptance I have. I'm still waiting on my state school tho

Accepted off of the alternate list yesterday!! Very excited/Very torn as I was also accepted at SLUMD.. definitely leaning towards AMC though, can anyone weigh in?

Accepted off of the alternate list yesterday!! Very excited/Very torn as I was also accepted at SLUMD.. definitely leaning towards AMC though, can anyone weigh in?

Disclosure: SLU is my top choice and I'm still on waitlist

Albany appealed to me because of its position as the sole lvl 1 trauma center in the area for both paeds and adults. Additionally, the class was very close knit and they seemed to have a open line to the faculty compared to other schools. Also the students I met were definitely some of the most enthusiastic I've seen.

Interviewed at Albany, not SLU. I liked Albany. What makes you lean towards Albany vs. SLU? Take it with a grain of salt, but I was under the impression that SLU was better. Would like to hear you reasons, PM me!

Congrats!! Did you find out thru email?

I called recently and was told that they're at capacity, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed but not expecting a miracle.

Rejected this am. Lm 67-69 OOS, interviewed early January.

Rejected this am. Lm 67-69 OOS, interviewed early January.

Rejected today as well, not that I didn't see this coming from months ago. I hope you got in somewhere though. I'm trying again this year :\

Rejected today as well, not that I didn't see this coming from months ago. I hope you got in somewhere though. I'm trying again this year :\
Best of luck to you too! Also reapplying.