2015 PHAP application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NCee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything? I know it's early, so probably not. I'm just soooo anxious :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone heard anything? I know it's early, so probably not. I'm just soooo anxious :)

Hi NCee! I am just as anxious! lol The timeline on the CDC website stated that we wouldn't know if we were moving forward in the process until March. I read on the other forums that we will receive a rating before then. :)

Reactions: 1 user
I'm just as excited! I've been reading through old forums trying to look at time frames. Wish I knew how many applicants there were and the chances of getting the geographical preference you want!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard anything yet? I almost missed the deadline and applied at the last minute. I really wish I has refined my resume a bit more.

Has anyone heard anything yet? I almost missed the deadline and applied at the last minute. I really wish I has refined my resume a bit more.

Nope, last year they sent out results for the prescreening questions and gave everyone a score within two weeks. This is taking much longer.

I'm just as excited! I've been reading through old forums trying to look at time frames. Wish I knew how many applicants there were and the chances of getting the geographical preference you want!
I am a current PHAP associate and they just sent out info to us that they received about 3600 applications this year and are planning on accepting 200 new associates. Last year they had over 4500 applicant for 160 positions.

As far as getting your geographic preference, it's not likely. They actually like it when people say they are willing to go anywhere because it shows flexibility, which is a huge part of being a PHAP associate.

Reactions: 3 users
I am a current PHAP associate and they just sent out info to us that they received about 3600 applications this year and are planning on accepting 200 new associates. Last year they had over 4500 applicant for 160 positions.

As far as getting your geographic preference, it's not likely. They actually like it when people say they are willing to go anywhere because it shows flexibility, which is a huge part of being a PHAP associate.
Thanks for the update! Do you mind sharing a little of your experience with us?

Thanks for the update! Do you mind sharing a little of your experience with us?
Sure! And I just realized that I said 3600, but instead its only 3160, so that better odds! Our process took a long time. We applied in February and heard back sometime in March saying if we had moved on or not. Then in April we were asked for our personal statements. Then we heard back in late may or June to schedule an interview for sometime that month. Last year they didn't do in person interviews, so we all had one 30 minute interview and that's what they made their final decision based on.

People started getting offers in early July- early August. They give you like 24 hours to accept and you can't negotiate a location change, it feels really rushed. As far as your geographical preference, you may get it (I did), or you may not. Most people I talked to at our orientation didn't get any of their preferences, and plenty even got put on the opposite coast than they wanted. It will be good if you are willing and excited to go anywhere, just view it as an adventure if they place you in Guam or Alaska, or anywhere else you hadn't considered.

As far as the topics you can work on, they vary greatly, though HIV/STD and Emergency Preparedness are placements that probably 50% will have at least one year. If you really want to work on a certain topic, make it clear why it would be a good fit in your personal statement. Either talk about your experience working in that topic area, or talk about your future career goals and how they align with that placement.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Hey guys! Has anyone received a rating yet? It's almost March!

First week of March! Has anyone received anything?

I was offered a PHAP position in 2013. My experience was a bit different. I DID HAVE a face to face interview in Maryland in March. My interviewer was very kind. She was nice enough to put all of the candidates who she interviewed with in an email thread so we all got to communicate with each other. Everyone seemed to pretty much get an offer in early June, except me. I started to get worried. Funny thing is, out of the 8, 4 people declined the offers because they were offered positions in states they didn't select (i.e. Washington, Nebraska). Then mid June I got a call with an offer in Ohio. I was in night school at the time, so I had to decline. I was told they just give you what they have. So ezl90 is correct about being flexible. However, location was not discussed in my interview. They offer you a location once you get that call. It's like "hey congratulations, would you like this position in XYZ?" --Pause-- --Waiting for a yes or no response-- lol I can't remember if I had 24 hours though...maybe because I automatically knew I couldn't accept.
I applied again this year, hopefully I get a position within this area, if not, I'm a nurse now...so it won't be the end of the world :) Let me know if you have any more questions.

Attachments

• upload_2015-3-4_20-45-0.png
    upload_2015-3-4_20-45-0.png
    95 bytes · Views: 112
    95 bytes · Views: 87
    95 bytes · Views: 74
Hey everyone! Has anyone heard or received anything yet? -- It's almost the 15th, and I'm getting a tad bit anxious.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi NCee! I am just as anxious! lol The timeline on the CDC website stated that we wouldn't know if we were moving forward in the process until March. I read on the other forums that we will receive a rating before then. :)
Will that rating be received via email? I haven't gotten a rating of my application yet.

I just got an email today. Moving to next phase.

Here is what I got today in my email.

You have been selected to move to the second phase of the 2015 Public Health Associate Program (PHAP) selection process. The next step of the process requires you to register in the Fellowship Management System (FMS.) Listed below are the instructions on how to register and logon to FMS:

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I just received an email to log into the portal and upload my personal statement!

Reactions: 1 users
I received the "Move to the second phase" email as well!

Woohoo! On to phase 2. I'm honestly stunned. I applied last minute and my resume was pretty raw. Congrats to everyone else who moved one as well.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all! Congratulations to everyone who received their "next step" email today; what an exciting success! To have come this far is a victory indeed, proud to say I feel like I can finally post here!

Start crafting those personal statements, ya'll! :)

I received my email today, as well! Best of luck to everyone :)

Will that rating be received via email? I haven't gotten a rating of my application yet.

Random comment: We have the same exact birthday, year and everything! That is, if your profile name is your bday at least.. How cool!

Random comment: We have the same exact birthday, year and everything! That is, if your profile name is your bday at least.. How cool!
Yes, that's my birthday!! Awesome!

Congrats to everyone who has moved forward with the application process. I did not receive an email, so I am assuming I did not move forward. But best of luck to all of you!

Hi everyone. I've been following this thread religiously but silently - thanks to NCee for starting this year's forum. I was wondering does anyone know about what the prospects are as far as securing a federal job is concerned; say with CDC at GS 11 after going through PHAP? I have about 10 years of public health experience and will be graduating with my MPH this May and I'm kind of wondering what happens next after going through the PHAP program + having MPH. My other concern is I'm already making more than what is offered for GS 5 step 1 for PHAP - so just wondering how things might work out.

To all those who haven't heard anything back or not moving forward, keep up your heads up! To the rest of us moving forward, I wish you all the best of luck!

Hi everyone !

For those of you who've receive an email , can you tell me if your status changed on the usa/cdc website ? My status is still in "receive mode".

Hi everyone !

For those of you who've receive an email , can you tell me if your status changed on the usa/cdc website ? My status is still in "receive mode".
Hi! I received an email about moving onto the next stage. My status on the usajobs website still says "received"

I received the email to move on. But I'm confused on if we get ratings or if we need to send in letters of recommendation. Did they change things?

Hi everyone. I've been following this thread religiously but silently - thanks to NCee for starting this year's forum. I was wondering does anyone know about what the prospects are as far as securing a federal job is concerned; say with CDC at GS 11 after going through PHAP? I have about 10 years of public health experience and will be graduating with my MPH this May and I'm kind of wondering what happens next after going through the PHAP program + having MPH. My other concern is I'm already making more than what is offered for GS 5 step 1 for PHAP - so just wondering how things might work out.

To all those who haven't heard anything back or not moving forward, keep up your heads up! To the rest of us moving forward, I wish you all the best of luck!

I'm in the same predicament. CDC PHAP doesn't guarantee a federal position. I have looked up PHAP fellows on linkedin and it seems like some end up working at the health department/health center/agency they completed their service and some end up getting a job with CDC. I think it's all about networking and keep applying to as many USAJOB posts as possible. Ironically, I recently interviewed for a Manager position at my local health department (salary starting at 65K); yet, the previous person was a PHAP fellow. I believe she was offered a position at CDC in Atlanta so I'm assuming that's why they didn't offer her the Manager position. GS 5 step 1 salary is rather low, but I'm sure the experience will be worth it.

I received the email to move on. But I'm confused on if we get ratings or if we need to send in letters of recommendation. Did they change things?

Hey. The ratings have already been done with our USAJOBS application. You were rated high which is why you got to the 2nd phase. When I applied in 2013, they never asked for LOR's.

I'm in the same predicament. CDC PHAP doesn't guarantee a federal position. I have looked up PHAP fellows on linkedin and it seems like some end up working at the health department/health center/agency they completed their service and some end up getting a job with CDC. I think it's all about networking and keep applying to as many USAJOB posts as possible. Ironically, I recently interviewed for a Manager position at my local health department (salary starting at 65K); yet, the previous person was a PHAP fellow. I believe she was offered a position at CDC in Atlanta so I'm assuming that's why they didn't offer her the Manager position. GS 5 step 1 salary is rather low, but I'm sure the experience will be worth it. .

Current PHAP here, based on info from the program, about 1/2 end up working after the program. Over half of those working end up with the CDC after the program, the rest with other state/local/ngo partners. If you're in that group and you progress quickly, I could see being a GS11 within 5 years post PHAP. Current PHAPs are able to apply as internal candidates, which is a change from recent years. Still no guarantee of a CDC job, but it's a good advantage to have. I'm not going that route, so I'm not sure what the job market is like right now for PHAPs.

Congrats and best of luck to those who have received their emails to move on!

I'm still patiently waiting, unfortunately. I assume since most have just started to hear back, those who haven't should still keep their faith! At least according to last years thread, it looks like some applicants didn't hear back for a while.

MissM472 and Jsquared91, thanks for your feedback. Best of luck to everyone.

So glad previous PHAP member told me about this forum!! I am moving to the second round. Great job everyone!

Congrats to everyone moving on to the second round. Is anyone else having trouble logging in. When i try to log in i get this Message "USER HAS NO ROLES SPECIFIED" Tech support hasn't been helpful and Sunday is the deadline. #STRESSED

Hello all! I'm glad to be apart of this thread. I have been sent to phase two, as well. I am nervous because I went to pahse two last year and recieved no interview. Good Luck everyone! I know I'll be praying.

Hey everyone, just a bit of advice, I'd take down the actual pictures of yourselves from your profile.

Does anyone know if they sent out the e-mails to everyone the same week...or did it take a little while longer for some to receive their notification to the next phase?

Does anyone know if they sent out the e-mails to everyone the same week...or did it take a little while longer for some to receive their notification to the next phase?

I'm wondering this too- my status still just says "received." And according to last years thread, it sort of seems that people found out at different times over a few weeks span.

I'm wondering this too- my status still just says "received." And according to last years thread, it sort of seems that people found out at different times over a few weeks span.

I'm not sure but I do know that my deadline for the personal statement is Sunday March, 15TH. I don't know if that helps. Do other ppl have different deadlines?

Congrats to everyone moving on to the second round. Is anyone else having trouble logging in. When i try to log in i get this Message "USER HAS NO ROLES SPECIFIED" Tech support hasn't been helpful and Sunday is the deadline. #STRESSED

Hey I had exactly same problem. I emailed, phoned again and again but no reply. Ultimately, i successfully re-registered myself by using a different email alongwith different phone number. Later in the day, I recieved an email and than phone from some Mr. Rafael who suggested exactly that.

Hello everyone! Has anyone's status changed from "Received"? To something like "referred" or "eligible" or "reviewed"? Mine still says "received" and I'm super confused as to whether it was reviewed.

Hi all,
Just wondering how everyone's personal statements are coming along. Should we write one long essay or directly just answer the three questions?

Hi all,
Just wondering how everyone's personal statements are coming along. Should we write one long essay or directly just answer the three questions?
I think we have to directly answer the three questions.

I've read from previous threads that some people wrote their personal statement like a cover letter, some wrote theirs like a narrative telling a story but also embedding responses to the three questions asked. What are other people's take on this? I currently have mine in a three paragraph narrative form.

Last edited:
Just curious as to why? I follow different forums on here
It's definitely better to stay anonymous on here, especially when you are applying for a job or school (there's been acceptance offers for medical schools rescinded due to social media posts). You never know who is watching and how they interpret what you write.

Hey everyone! So I ran into a question when I went to review my application in FMS. In the Program Awareness Survey section I didn't come across a section for location preferences but when I went to review the application there was a space that listed "States and territories where you are willing to relocate" but it was blank. Has anyone else run into this problem?

Hey everyone! So I ran into a question when I went to review my application in FMS. In the Program Awareness Survey section I didn't come across a section for location preferences but when I went to review the application there was a space that listed "States and territories where you are willing to relocate" but it was blank. Has anyone else run into this problem?

I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about since I haven't run into this problem. I do know that we already chose that states and territories we are willing to relocate to in our initial application.