* 2015-2016 URM Medical School Application Thread *

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is anyone here going to yale or considering it?

Members don't see this ad.

considering. I like Yale but I hate Connecticut...
I'm indifferent regarding Connecticut. I almost always lived in cities with lots of black people (DC, Atlanta), except for Nashville. New Haven is close enough to New York City to go enjoy a brunch-day party every once in a while, but far enough to stay focused. I also like that it's a short (3hr) drive to cool New England attractions that I probably would never get into otherwise like going to Martha's Vineyard or skiing in Vermont etc. lol I'm super excited and feel blessed re Yale.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm considering Columbia and penn. I want to be in a large city. Philly isn't that large, but it's big enough.
Word? those are really good options. I ended up not applying to Penn and applied to Jefferson instead, and I regret it bc I was selling myself short bc I love philly. So much closer to what I call home (DC). If I had to choose between those 3 schools though the Yale system and the openness of the whole university would be a solid selling point. Good luck making up your mind and hopefully you'll pick yale bc based on our Facebook group, boy we need more URMs haha

Reactions: 1 user
Word? those are really good options. I ended up not applying to Penn and applied to Jefferson instead, and I regret it bc I was selling myself short bc I love philly. So much closer to what I call home (DC). If I had to choose between those 3 schools though the Yale system and the openness of the whole university would be a solid selling point. Good luck making up your mind and hopefully you'll pick yale bc based on our Facebook group, boy we need more URMs haha
Thanks. I'm happy that you made your decision. Good luck

Just want to pop in and say I've been following this thread for about a year, anticipating my cycle coming in the fall. You all are SO inspiring, and I was rooting for each and every one of you. You've kept my hope alive and I'm excited/nervous about the process coming up.

You all are going to become outstanding physicians. It'll be an honor and pleasure to cross paths in the future, and hopefully call you colleagues.

Reactions: 15 users
Do you have any experience with the diversity department at schools you applied to? I know allopathic schools are big on diversity but I'm having no luck finding information about diversity on osteopathic med. school websites. Thanks for your help.
I don't have any experiences with diversity departments. My school doesn't have one so I can't comment on that. I agree that DO schools don't really have much of that emphasis.

I'm considering Columbia and penn. I want to be in a large city. Philly isn't that large, but it's big enough.
Big congrats on those schools, man. Inspirational, and I dig the profile gif

Big congrats on those schools, man. Inspirational, and I dig the profile gif
Thanks, I appreciate it. I have been overwhelmingly blessed this cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm considering Columbia and Penn. I want to be in a large city. Philly isn't that large, but it's big enough.

You do what you want when you're poppin...sheesh

Long time lurker on this thread. I love reading about everyone's accomplishments :) Super excited to be attending Oregon Health and Science University (OHSU) on a full scholarship this fall! Go class of 2020!!

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Final update:

25 schools applied to

10 interview invites (only attended 6)

5 Rejections

3 Acceptances

Reactions: 8 users
Final update:

25 schools applied to

10 interview invites (only attended 6)

5 Rejections

3 Acceptances
That's amazing! Congrats on all your success :) If this cycle doesn't pan out for me I hope to have as much success as you the next time around :)

That's amazing! Congrats on all your success :) If this cycle doesn't pan out for me I hope to have as much success as you the next time around :)

I hope so too. Message me if you have any questions or need anything.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

MCAT old (24)
MCAT new got score yesterday (505: phys/chem 128 verbal 125 bio 125 psych/soc 127 70th percetile overall, not very pleased, but not retaking it during this application cycle)
cGPA 3.55
scGPA 3.35
TX resident
URM (Mexican american male)
Ex.Curricualars are fine

Ideally I want to stay in TX but I do not feel very confident with my numbers, so I am looking at which schools to apply out of state.
I do not have the MSAR 27$ does anyone know a similar but free alternative
any help?

Congrats to all the acceptances

If anyone needs help with their personal statements for this upcoming cycle let me know!

Reactions: 2 users
Would anybody be willing to look my app before applying this cycle? I have a great application but a low verbal score on my MCAT. Would anybody be able to provide some advice based on your application season this past year. Thanks in advance and congrats to you all!

lol "I guess I can stop saying Harvard or nothing, I hear Stanford is a good school"

Reactions: 5 users
You decided where you're going?

It'd be way too easy to identify me if SDN knew where I was going. My incoming class has at most, 3 incoming black males. I'll tell anyone if they message me though. I feel like I know who you are teeayejay. Weird.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users
Final update:

Applied to 33 MD schools.

Received 32 secondaries

Completed 26 of them, all late in the cycle (October) due to my mcat retake

Received 8 interview invites, 4 of them were top 40's and 2 of those were top 10 (didn't get a secondary from my only state school wtf is that #salty)

Rejected by 1. Accepted by 4. Waitlisted by 3.

I committed to a school last weekend and then yesterday got an acceptance to my dream school. So I'll be matriculating there! Needless to say, it's been an incredibly stressful, long, painful YET blessed and satisfying cycle. It was a journey I'm so happy I only get to experience once. Congrats on all of the success this cycle guys! We made it! To those still waiting or reapplying next year hold strong and don't give up on your dreams. They come true I swear it. Holla class of 2020!!

Reactions: 6 users
First and last update:
Applied to 17 MD
Received 17 secondaries (completed 17)
Received 13 II invites (attended 11)
R: 1 WL: 2 A: 8

Reactions: 11 users
Final update:

Applied to 33 MD schools.

Received 32 secondaries

Completed 26 of them, all late in the cycle (October) due to my mcat retake

Received 8 interview invites, 4 of them were top 40's and 2 of those were top 10 (didn't get a secondary from my only state school wtf is that #salty)

Rejected by 1. Accepted by 4. Waitlisted by 3.

I committed to a school last weekend and then yesterday got an acceptance to my dream school. So I'll be matriculating there! Needless to say, it's been an incredibly stressful, long, painful YET blessed and satisfying cycle. It was a journey I'm so happy I only get to experience once. Congrats on all of the success this cycle guys! We made it! To those still waiting or reapplying next year hold strong and don't give up on your dreams. They come true I swear it. Holla class of 2020!!
Do you care to list what your stats was?

Final update:
16 primaries, completed 10 secondaries, 5 interviews, 3 acceptances (1 from wait list) one waitlist and one rejection.
Overall very pleased with my cycle, learned a lot about myself and I'm excited for the future!

Reactions: 7 users
I guess I'll do this too!
I submitted 13 primaries, received 11 secondaries (no meharry or vandy, Nashville really wasn't in the cards for me! Lol).
Submitted all 11 secondaries, received 4 IIs, attended 3, received 2 acceptances and 1 WL. Turned down waitlist offer.
Very happy with the outcome and super excited about the next 4 years and beyond.

Just thought I'd check in here too.

18 primaries.
1 preII rejection
2 preII withdrawals
15 IIs (attended 8)
1 post interview rejection
7 acceptances (1 from waitlist)
3 merit scholarships

Still in shock at how well it turned out. :wow:PM me with any questions.

Reactions: 3 users

18 primaries.
1 preII rejection
2 preII withdrawals
15 IIs (attended 8)
3 merit scholarships

Congrats, you killed it!

Figure I check in too for anyone interested in the the DO route primarily

African-American male
10 primaries (8 DO, 2 MD which were my state school and Howard)
completed 10 secondaries
3 interview invites
2 waitlists, 1 alternate list
1 acceptance from alternate list

Really grateful to get in somewhere haha, all it takes is one.

Reactions: 5 users
I got verified a few weeks ago. Im just working on secondaries so once I get the money, I add the schools and send it out. Everything should be done by this week hopefully! Don't lose hope ok? There are a lot of people who claim to know everything but don't let them dictate the outcomes. You may make it or you may not but either way enjoy the ride because you've made it this far. :)

Do you know where you're going this Fall?

I'm reading all of these acceptances and interviews and I'm so happy for you guys!! I'm applying this cycle but I don't feel confident about my upcoming Mcat (July 22nd). I could really use some words of incouragement/advice/anything you can say to help me out of this slump. My practice Mcat scores have been breaking me apart on the inside :(

Again congrats everyone!!

Figure I check in too for anyone interested in the the DO route primarily

African-American male
10 primaries (8 DO, 2 MD which were my state school and Howard)
completed 10 secondaries
3 interview invites
2 waitlists, 1 alternate list
1 acceptance from alternate list

Really grateful to get in somewhere haha, all it takes is one.
Congratulations!!!

I'm reading all of these acceptances and interviews and I'm so happy for you guys!! I'm applying this cycle but I don't feel confident about my upcoming Mcat (July 22nd). I could really use some words of incouragement/advice/anything you can say to help me out of this slump. My practice Mcat scores have been breaking me apart on the inside :(

Again congrats everyone!!
Thank you

And listen, you have a whole month to get that score up! After you're practice tests you have to really take the time to analyze what topics are tripping you up and hone in on those before the next practice test. Thats really how you should approach the next 4 weeks leading up to the real one. Practice and always think back to your motivation behind pursuing this career. That's the fuel that will carry you through this tough stretch. Have faith and relax a little when you get the chance!

19 secondaries complete and counting! If it wasn't for prewriting, I would have given up on medical school a long time ago and decided to sell mixtapes from the trunk of my car.

18 primaries.
1 preII rejection
2 preII withdrawals
15 IIs (attended 8)
3 merit scholarships

What up what up! I didn't know this thread existed!

I'm a Latino male applying to med school and here's how I'm doing so far!

IIs: BU, UIC, case western, northwestern, Columbia, university of Chicago

Accepted to university of Chicago last week!! Seriously so shocked, one of my dream schools.

I can post stats and whatnot later if you want them but trying to stay anon as best as I can! Always willing to help so PM me for absolutely anything!

Hey i am applying this cycle and wanted to see if you wouldnt mind PMing how this cycle went for you and your stats so i can gauge my chances? Thank you!