2015-2016 University of Washington Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey y'all, I just received a financial aid offer but I can't access it yet cuz I don't have a UW Net ID. Do others have it already? Should I email somebody or just hang tight?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey y'all, I just received a financial aid offer but I can't access it yet cuz I don't have a UW Net ID. Do others have it already? Should I email somebody or just hang tight?

I spoke with admission about a week ago. They said that it was out of their hands (the university processes paperwork for the UWNet ID, not the school of medicine). They said I could expect it in 2-3 weeks. I would suggest calling Diane from FinAid to ask specific information about your financial aid offer...?

Edit: I also see the FinAid email in my inbox.

Last edited:
I spoke with admission about a week ago. They said that it was out of their hands (the university processes paperwork for the UWNet ID, not the school of medicine). They said I could expect it in 2-3 weeks. I would suggest calling Diane from FinAid to ask specific information about your financial aid offer...?

Edit: I also see the FinAid email in my inbox.
Good to know, thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the OOR/WA alternate list will officially start moving next week since people finally are finding out about financial packages!

For what it's worth, I received my Enrollment Confirmation Acknowledgment (which included the info needed to set up the UW NetID) yesterday in the mail so I would assume they are all on the way...

Reactions: 1 users
Long time lurker and #8 Idaho alternate. Some good regional waitlist movement today, I hope it keeps up!

Trying to compare waitlist movement to the years past, does anyone know the traffic rules for the 2013-2014 application cycle and before? This year it's April 30, back then it was May 15?

edit: it was May 15

Last edited:
Does anyone know what day orientation starts for Seattle and also Spokane?

WA/OOR is onto #2. Let's hope the alternate list keeps up this momentum!

If this is my second time applying to medical school (unsuccessful last time) but my first time applying to UW, am I considered a re-applicant for the purposes of that secondary question?

I don't think so. I was a reapplicant this year, and there were schools that I was applying to for the first time, who didn't know I was a reapplicant until I mentioned it in the interview. Unless a school's secondary prompt specifically asks you if you've applied to other schools in the past even if you haven't applied to that specific school, you're considered a first-time applicant.

Waitlist #3 right here - just got the acceptance email : ))))))))))))))) :soexcited::clap:

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

MS1 Idaho student here. I haven't been following the thread, but feel free to PM if you have any questions. This site was incredibly helpful for me when I was in the application process, and I would be happy to give back by answering any questions from future med students. UWSOM and WWAMI have been great, and I've really enjoyed year 1.

Would love the chance to speak with a re-applicant to UWSOM and get some advice/feedback. Message if willing/interested! Thanks

Any thoughts on working during the first year of med school? I've been offered to stay at my current job for next year and I'm not sure if I should accept. It would be about 8 hrs a week and the money would definitely help. But I don't quite want to sabotage myself either with succeeding in med school. Any experiences or advice anyone can share?

Thought I'd ask again since we've had more alternates taken. Can anyone pulled from the alternate list say if they were notified by email or phone call?

Any thoughts on working during the first year of med school? I've been offered to stay at my current job for next year and I'm not sure if I should accept. It would be about 8 hrs a week and the money would definitely help. But I don't quite want to sabotage myself either with succeeding in med school. Any experiences or advice anyone can share?

During what times? It would be difficult to have required work hours during the weekdays unless it's after 6 pm as you can have required things come up on the weekday mornings. Everyone will have primary clinic all day on Wednesday every other week, and you'll have hospital mornings every other week on a different weekday than Wed. Also, random things can come up. For instance, they made our tests on Thursday mornings this block and that came kind of out of the blue.

I work about 4-8 hours a week, but it's usually on the weekends, very, very early in the morning or later in the evening. I'm fine with it, and the money does help. My job is also not stressful in the slightest. You could probably do it, and if you're finding that it's hard to balance, quit your job. You could let your employer know that's a possibility. It's honestly hard to predict how well you're going to adjust to med school -- it really depends on you.

During what times? It would be difficult to have required work hours during the weekdays unless it's after 6 pm as you can have required things come up on the weekday mornings. Everyone will have primary clinic all day on Wednesday every other week, and you'll have hospital mornings every other week on a different weekday than Wed. Also, random things can come up. For instance, they made our tests on Thursday mornings this block and that came kind of out of the blue.

I work about 4-8 hours a week, but it's usually on the weekends, very, very early in the morning or later in the evening. I'm fine with it, and the money does help. My job is also not stressful in the slightest. You could probably do it, and if you're finding that it's hard to balance, quit your job. You could let your employer know that's a possibility. It's honestly hard to predict how well you're going to adjust to med school -- it really depends on you.
Thanks for the advice. The hours would pretty much depend on me, fortunately I have a job where I can set my own hours (so long as I get in the 7-8 hours that week). It would be only during weekdays but it's extremely flexible and I have supervisors that would be more than understanding if I had to miss some time for exams or primary clinic. I'm thinking of doing a trial run the first quarter and if it doesn't work out I can leave after that first quarter.

Pretty disappointed there's no movement today.. Every day counts now

Pretty disappointed there's no movement today.. Every day counts now

It seems like the SOM has been very slow to get financial aid packages out, which is hopefully the reason why some people have delayed their decision.

yeah people start dropping. This might be the record lowest waitlist movement according to trends. UGGGH

So little movement this close to the deadline... anyone know something I don't?

Probably people waiting for financial aid offers. But there isn't really anything special and everything is visible online on the school of medicine financial aid page. Scholarships are given in a completely different area and the app is due May 31st, you get an email in like January of what you get.

Reasons why people may also be keeping their acceptances is that the rank keeps going up (top 8 now), the curriculum has changed and it should be better this year, and you now spend a full two years at the home site rather than having to move after the first year.

Don't despair, the list is moving again. I just got the call. #9 accepted!

Congrats!

I called and spoke to a woman in the admissions office (they are always very friendly and helpful), she said they are surprised by the lack of movement as well. She did mention something to the effect of waitlists moving slowly across crountry, so the large jumps may just be delayed a few days. When I specifically asked about financial aid offers delaying things, she said that she believes they went out, but it may have contributed to some delay.

She did say that they expect a lot of movement over the weekend and on Monday, and that processing the alternate list takes a couple of days. So by the middle of next week we should have a good idea of where things will end up.

Did your interviewer call you? Or the admissions office?
My EXCOM interviewer called me. He said to expect an e-mail with more information within two days. I got the call around noon (pacific), but I think that was simply due to his schedule.

AYYY just got the acceptance email!!!! So excited its definitely moving. Im alternate 13!

Last edited:
AYYY just got the acceptance email!!!! So excited its definitely moving. Im alternate 9
I thought I saw #9 pulled already. Are you Idaho #9? Please say yes!

Edit: Poster Sam Winthrop said last page that he as accepted as #9, assumed it was WA/OOR. I'm confuzzled.

I am Idaho alternate #8 and I haven't heard anything. Must. Stay. Positive! Haha

Congrats to all who have just gotten their acceptances! And to those still waiting, I expect Monday will have a lot of list movement

Im just hoping i get seattle placement, because if not there is no point to stay in state im too far from family already lol
So does anyone know if most movement has been from spokane or seattle?

Im just hoping i get seattle placement, because if not there is no point to stay in state im too far from family already lol
So does anyone know if most movement has been from spokane or seattle?

I emailed Stella Yee 21 April to ask about site placement. She replied that day saying that I should hear within three weeks. Idk where most movement has been from and as a person who got off the waitlist, I haven't been told my placement yet.

Could anyone assist me with better understanding the "Traffic Rules" for acceptances after April 30th? This is my situation: I have accepted a position at Medical School X, but am currently on the waitlist at UW. If I get into UW's Seattle campus, I would pick UW over Medical School X, but if I am placed in Spokane, I would rather attend Medical School X. Is UW asking students who get accepted off the waitlist to accept/decline offers of admission in less than 3 weeks, before being notified of their site placements? Thank you for any insight!

Can any current students comment on the dress code for clinic days? I'm mostly wondering if professional skirts/dresses/cropped pants are commonly worn, or if I should stick to long pants+closed toed shoes. Thanks!

Could anyone assist me with better understanding the "Traffic Rules" for acceptances after April 30th? This is my situation: I have accepted a position at Medical School X, but am currently on the waitlist at UW. If I get into UW's Seattle campus, I would pick UW over Medical School X, but if I am placed in Spokane, I would rather attend Medical School X. Is UW asking students who get accepted off the waitlist to accept/decline offers of admission in less than 3 weeks, before being notified of their site placements? Thank you for any insight!
I'm not absolutely sure, but I'm in a similar situation but I'm OOR, so I was told the default site for me would be Seattle and that if accepted after April 30th we've 1 week to accept that offer.

Withdrew from here over the weekend for a Seattle spot. Really would have loved to go, but declined for personal reasons. Hope the spot goes to one of you! Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm not absolutely sure, but I'm in a similar situation but I'm OOR, so I was told the default site for me would be Seattle and that if accepted after April 30th we've 1 week to accept that offer.

If you received your acceptance email before April 30th, you get two weeks to decide. If you received your acceptance email after April 30th (even if the call as before), you have one week to decide. They are saying that it may take up to three weeks to determine site placement so you may have to make a decision before you know your site.