2015-2016 University of Washington Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The fact that my tour guide told us she was not happy there, and that no financial aide or other info talk was given........ Was unprofessional.

I also just remembered that there are a ton of documents on our the UW Medicine flash drive given on interview day! Includes FinAid info, and a ton of other documents (curriculum, videos, student orgs, service opportunities, community programs, UW Medicine magazines... seriously there are a ton of documents on there).

@BABSstudent I didn't see a budget on the COA sheet for health insurance. Is this something we can get additional funds allotted for in our budget? I currently have health insurance through my employer but of course I'd lose benefits before beginning school. Although, its worth asking... do any of your classmates have luck with applying for Medicaid?

I also wanted to ask about residency status. On one of my UWSOM FinAid documents, it says, "If you are an out-of-region student please make sure you are familiar with the University of Washington's policy on obtaining residency status." making it sound like it is possible to get residency after year 1.

But then it also says "Please be aware that there is a high probability that if you are admitted as a non-resident student you may pay non-resident tuition for each year of your medical education". I am wondering if you have fellow OOR classmates who were able to become WA residents (changing their DL, permanent address, etc...)?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I also just remembered that there are a ton of documents on our the UW Medicine flash drive given on interview day! Includes FinAid info, and a ton of other documents (curriculum, videos, student orgs, service opportunities, community programs, UW Medicine magazines... seriously there are a ton of documents on there).

@BABSstudent I didn't see a budget on the COA sheet for health insurance. Is this something we can get additional funds allotted for in our budget? I currently have employer health insurance but I'd lose benefits before beginning school. Although, its worth asking... do any of your classmates have luck with applying for Medicaid?
They got rid of the student insurance because everyone qualifies for Medicaid.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

@BABSstudent or current students, could you please chime in about securing housing? It seems that most places want ~1300+ for a studio and also want 3x income verification. These are places close surrounding the school, so I was honestly hoping they would be more student friendly... Any advice for OOR folks would be greatly appreciated! Perhaps suggestions for neighborhoods with easy access to bus lines further out from UDub? I will happily sit on a bus for a longer commute if it means I can actually secure (pet friendly) housing and rent is reasonable!

I forget which FB group it is (either UWSOM SEA E-2016 or UWSOM E-2016) that started a thread (convo) for housing and roommates. I believe they are waiting until sites are allocated to start a spreadsheet with people putting in their preferences/requirements for rooming together.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accidentally replied to an old comment thinking it was new.

I also wanted to ask about residency status. On one of my UWSOM FinAid documents, it says, "If you are an out-of-region student please make sure you are familiar with the University of Washington's policy on obtaining residency status." making it sound like it is possible to get residency after year 1.

But then it also says "Please be aware that there is a high probability that if you are admitted as a non-resident student you may pay non-resident tuition for each year of your medical education". I am wondering if you have fellow OOR classmates who were able to become WA residents (changing their DL, permanent address, etc...)?

@BABSstudent Wondering if you can answer this question about Residency status also. Thank so much for all of your advice!!!

@BABSstudent Wondering if you can answer this question about Residency status also. Thank so much for all of your advice!!!
The problem is the process to getting residency status involves making enough money to support yourself, which is a requirement. You have to be financially independent for like a year before it will be approved.

So my understanding is people with working spouses that can make money to support the family can get residency after a year. Everyone else is kind of screwed.

But that's just my interpretation! The school gives away scholarships to decrease the cost to OOR applicants. They will talk more about this at second look.

Just an update, on the portal it states that an OOR/Seattle was accepted off of the WL but it didn't state the #.

Just an update, on the portal it states that an OOR/Seattle was accepted off of the WL but it didn't state the #.
Because none have been accepted yet. Seems like last year they started accepting OOR alternates in April. Looks like only #1 in Alaska has been accepted so far. Guess we have to hold our breaths for a bit longer

Reactions: 1 user
Y'all are seeing this, right?

Washington/Out-of-region: Alternate -- has been accepted
Wyoming: Alternate -- has been accepted
Alaska: Alternate #1 has been accepted
Montana: Alternate -- has been accepted
Idaho: Alternate -- has been accepted

Doesn't that mean that Alternate #1 in Alaska has been accepted but no alternates have been accepted elsewhere yet?

I actually established residency as an undergrad (one of the best decisions I've ever made, OOS tuition at UW is insane); it involved me proving that I was financially independent for 2 years, which I think I was able to prove because my parents had set up a college fund (UGMA) for me that was technically in my name. I also worked and paid for rent, etc. on my own. You are also not allowed to take more than 6 credits per quarter unless you're working almost full time, which means you would be hard pressed to establish residency while in medical school. If you really wanted to establish residency for educational purposes then you would need to take classes part time (which I did as an undergrad, I'm assuming it's not an option in med school), postpone school for a year, or take classes full time and work 30 hours per week in a non-student position (bleck).

Requirements are here: https://registrar.washington.edu/students/residency/residency-requirements/

Happy to answer any questions anyone may have, but then again I finished the process like 6 years ago and may be hazy on a few details.

Y'all are seeing this, right?

Washington/Out-of-region: Alternate -- has been accepted
Wyoming: Alternate -- has been accepted
Alaska: Alternate #1 has been accepted
Montana: Alternate -- has been accepted
Idaho: Alternate -- has been accepted

Doesn't that mean that Alternate #1 in Alaska has been accepted but no alternates have been accepted elsewhere yet?
Exactly!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone happen to know the class sizes over the past years for Washington/OOR? ie: E-2016 will be 160, E-2015 120, E-2014... etc.

EDIT: E-2015 was 140?

Last edited:
Is the class size really 160 this year as opposed to 120? If so, that could have huge implications on waitlist movement, right? Last year, 37 people were taken off the waitlist for 120 spots (30.8%). At that rate, that would mean that 49.3 out of 160 people would be taken. I am alternate #50.

TRYING SO HARD not to get my hopes up but this has me thinking I COULD be closer/more on the brink than I thought. These numbers, combined with the fact that student doctors waitlist numbers are probably slight underestimates (right?) and also that some people will not accept their positions on the waitlist. We'll never know til it happens though!

EDIT: Sorry I realize I was mistaken, there were only 29 people admitted last year. This argument still applies if the class size was similar for past years though (37 is from 2014 and previous years were even higher).

E-2015 (my class) is 140. Next year is E-2016 is 160 (+20 more spots in Spokane). I am sure they accepted more people to make up for the increase. Honestly not sure how it will all shake out but best of luck to you! Anything can happen.

Also, I ran into a professor at UW who wrote me a LOR and updated him of my ranking on the alternate list (50). He congratulated me and seemed pretty thrilled which I found surprising. He told me that 50 is not a shoe-in by any means (only 30 or less) but many years he has seen the list go "well into the 60s". I found this very shocking and contradictory to what I've read on SDN from past years. Is this possible? Is he confused? I really don't have any more info on where he was getting this from. He's an undergrad science lecturer, unsure of what his sources are but he seemed pretty confident in this. Maybe he's referring to all regions and not just WA?
Hey Hopeful! Who knows what will happen this year? But, it's my understanding that there were 20 more spots available at the Spokane campus this year. Since most applicants prefer Seattle, there may be more movement on the waitlist due to folks not wanting to be in Spokane? This is of course just more supposition but hey, that's all we can really do to pass the time

Hey Hopeful! Who knows what will happen this year? But, it's my understanding that there were 20 more spots available at the Spokane campus this year. Since most applicants prefer Seattle, there may be more movement on the waitlist due to folks not wanting to be in Spokane? This is of course just more supposition but hey, that's all we can really do to pass the time

I think they increased 20 more spots in Spokane last year as well and actually resulted in less waitlist movement. So who knows it seems like you really can't predict anything

I think they increased 20 more spots in Spokane last year as well and actually resulted in less waitlist movement. So who knows it seems like you really can't predict anything
This may be secondary to the new MCAT as well.

Also, I ran into a professor at UW who wrote me a LOR and updated him of my ranking on the alternate list (50). He congratulated me and seemed pretty thrilled which I found surprising. He told me that 50 is not a shoe-in by any means (only 30 or less) but many years he has seen the list go "well into the 60s". I found this very shocking and contradictory to what I've read on SDN from past years. Is this possible? Is he confused? I really don't have any more info on where he was getting this from. He's an undergrad science lecturer, unsure of what his sources are but he seemed pretty confident in this. Maybe he's referring to all regions and not just WA?

I was in your position last year (47 on the waitlist) and the best advice someone gave me was to prepare as though I was not going to be accepted (which I wasn't). Every day is important if you're planning to reapply this coming cycle. Last year it was possible to schedule a meeting with the dean of admissions to review your app, but it took a couple of months. For me, I had to focus on volunteering, and it takes time to accrue a significant number of hours. Do you know which area(s) your app might be lacking in?

Do you know if they mean 6 semesters of biology + 6 semesters of chemistry or 6 semesters combined?
I read it as 6 semesters combined, because they say "must include" X, Y, Z...plus three years of chem is a ton.

Just got the Seattle placement via email woooooooo

Reactions: 3 users
Just got the Seattle placement via email woooooooo

Hmmm...I wonder if all the placements were sent out today? Could cause some movement on the alternate list?

Hmmm...I wonder if all the placements were sent out today? Could cause some movement on the alternate list?

Im pretty sure they finished the matchmaking process for everyone based on how they worded the email

2017 USNWR Rankings are out and the news is good for the University of Washington:
  • UW is #1 in primary care. UW has been #1 in primary care an astounding 23 out of the 24 years of the publications history.
  • UW moves up to a tie for #8 in research ranking, last year it was #10. UW has consistently been ranking in the top-10 of research institutions since 2004.

It's been a great four years here. I just found out I matched to my dream speciality on Monday, a competitive surgical subspecialty. Congratulations on all your accomplishments to everyone in this thread who was admitted to UWSOM -- you all have a wonderful four years ahead of you.

2017 USNWR Rankings are out and the news is good for the University of Washington:
  • UW is #1 in primary care. UW has been #1 in primary care an astounding 23 out of the 24 years of the publications history.
  • UW moves up to a tie for #8 in research ranking, last year it was #10. UW has consistently been ranking in the top-10 of research institutions since 2004.

It's been a great four years here. I just found out I matched to my dream speciality on Monday, a competitive surgical subspecialty. Congratulations on all your accomplishments to everyone in this thread who was admitted to UWSOM -- you all have a wonderful four years ahead of you.
This is perfect news for the year I apply for residency! Moving on up!

People always seem to ask for it, so here is the match result for this year's class. The school released it without everyone's name being listed so it's easy to see what the school overall matched into.

Attachments

• Match Results_ 2016 - Match Results.pdf
    158.8 KB · Views: 211
People always seem to ask for it, so here is the match result for this year's class. The school released it without everyone's name being listed so it's easy to see what the school overall matched into.
Thanks!!!

Does anyone know when it's the last day one can hold multiple acceptances? I read the traffic rules on AAMC and am still confused on whether its 4/30 or 5/15. Thanks!

Does anyone know when it's the last day one can hold multiple acceptances? I read the traffic rules on AAMC and am still confused on whether its 4/30 or 5/15. Thanks!
4/30 this year.

Just saw the portal was updated. Idaho alternate #2 has been accepted.

This may be a super dumb question, but do each of the WWAMI states have their own second look? I just assumed there would be one big one in Seattle, but looking at the Facebook page, someone said there would be a separate second look for Spokane.

Just saw the portal was updated. Idaho alternate #2 has been accepted.
C'mon Washington/OOR list! Start moving already!!! I know last year it started moving in April but I can't help and look at portal daily!

Don't forget to periodically update the google doc.

You need a computer to access it from SDN (the mobile site hates it).

For mobile devices, try removing the space between the http and s:// on the link below.

http s://docs. google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vauZks6ASrzUERwQAsDa7cxOgK25n0Pf8ZAZNYUhDco/edit?usp=sharing

Did anyone attend the UW second look? How did it go/was there any information that was noteworthy? Thanks :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Did anyone attend the UW second look? How did it go/was there any information that was noteworthy? Thanks :)

I went to Second Look, and I thought it was fine. I went to panels about clerkships and the investigative inquiries, and they cleared up some of my questions about all of the options there are and how everything fits into the new curriculum. I didn't get a chance to talk to any first years (mostly second and third year medical students were there). The students all said they really liked the school, but none of them could speak to the new curriculum (although they all said that it sounded really nice and that it cut out a bunch of the redundancies in the old curriculum).

Most of the prospective students there were either going to the Seattle or Spokane campuses, so it felt weird being one of the few people from one of the regional states. I wish I could have met more of the people who would be in my program/be able to talk to current medical students from my state.

Overall, it was a fine day in my opinion. Most of it was repeated knowledge from interview day (so nothing new and noteworthy that I saw), but it was really nice to hear everything again. I have a much better idea of what the curriculum is like now. Hope this helps!

This is perfect news for the year I apply for residency! Moving on up!

Congratulations to @akwho for your dream match!
BABSstudent, thank you for posting our awesome match list!

Hi Everyone,

I am a first year out of region medical student. For anyone who has questions about the school, where to live, the new curriculum, or anything, please feel free to message me. =]

I am also a part of multiple interest groups we have on campus, notably the Geriatric Interest Group (GIP). If anyone who is interested or wants more information in student interest groups and especially about GIP, please do not hesitate to contact me! I would love to tell you more about what we do.

Good luck to all of you and I cannot wait to see you all around next year. How exciting!!!

Since I didn't go to second look bc I'm still on the alternate list I still have many unanswered questions. Would any MS-1 be willing to tell us specifics about the curriculum? Like how many days/hours do you go to lecture/labs? Are there any small group discussion lessons? Do you buy books or study from material provided by instructors? When do you start having clinical experience? Standardized patients? Anyone in the global health or Hispanic health program can tell us about your experience?
What are your favorite and not so great things about the program?
What type of support is there for students?
How has your experience being so far?
Thank you so much!

Since I didn't go to second look bc I'm still on the alternate list I still have many unanswered questions. Would any MS-1 be willing to tell us specifics about the curriculum? Like how many days/hours do you go to lecture/labs? Are there any small group discussion lessons? Do you buy books or study from material provided by instructors? When do you start having clinical experience? Standardized patients? Anyone in the global health or Hispanic health program can tell us about your experience?
How has your experience being so far?
Thank you so much!

Hi, MS1 here.

Like how many days/hours do you go to lecture/labs?
Class is from 130-530 MTueThurF. Since the second quarter, our classes are generally 1-2 hours of lecture format and then 1-2 hours of small group but there are variations to this. Anatomy lab is threaded through the whole curriculum, and you'll occasionally have whole anatomy days for 4 hours instead of class or maybe for just 1 or 2 hours of the class time. Sometimes we have pathology lab looking at gross specimens.

Are there any small group discussion lessons? Yes, see answer above

Do you buy books or study from material provided by instructors? Almost no one buy books --- maybe an anatomy one. Most of the required prep material is written out in word documents by the professors or they are lecture-style videos. If you need a book, you can just use the free online one through the library.

When do you start having clinical experience? The first week of orientation/immersion. You start doing patient interviews right away and learn the basics of the physical exam right away. Every other Wednesday we are in our assigned primary care clinics for the whole day seeing patients. The other Wednesdays we are with our clinical college (50 students in Cascade, 50 students in Olympic) focusing on learning new clinical skills, this might involve the simulation lab at Harborview. Every other week on a weekday morning we are in our clinical 5 person groups at the hospital either a) getting there at 8 am and doing a full patient history & exam with one patient or b) getting there later in the morning and going around as a group while the people who got their earlier do oral case presentations on their patients

Standardized patients? Immediately -- often during our clinical skill workshops on Wednesdays

Anyone in the global health or Hispanic health program can tell us about your experience? I can't sorry

Favorite
The faculty are overall very friendly, helpful, available, humble, and empowering. The clinical skills curriculum is phenomenal and the clinical skills experience right away in the program really helps build confidence in that area.

Likely compared to other programs, our time is (usually) not waste in long, boring lectures. Sometimes, though, there is the occasional bad lecture.

I like that pharmacology, pathology, and anatomy are threaded through the curriculum and related to the organ system we are studying rather than us taking a course on each.

They put a lot of emphasis on board prep and give us lots of resources.

They've cut out a LOT of stuff from the old curriculum that doesn't need to be taught or that is redundant. Thus, we take boards earlier and have more time for clinical rotations and clinical curriculum during foundations.

Needs Improvement
They try to cram too much sometimes into some of the courses. I sometimes feel we need one more week in some of the courses.
It's still a new curriculum. The first quarter didn't go as well with the format, but I think they will change a lot by next year because they are VERY open to feedback.

Counseling staff for only medical students
Your advisor
Career counselor
Learning/education counselor -- his job is to help us do well in class and on boards
Faculty in your clinical college
Dean of students + their office
Service learning manager
Lot of other support staff in the administrative office

How has your experience been so far?
I love the school :) -- mainly because the culture of the faculty & students facilitates collaboration among colleagues and patient centeredness. Too tired right now to get into more specifics but if you have other questions, please ask!

Reactions: 6 users
Hi, MS1 here.

Like how many days/hours do you go to lecture/labs?
Class is from 130-530 MTueThurF. Since the second quarter, our classes are generally 1-2 hours of lecture format and then 1-2 hours of small group but there are variations to this. Anatomy lab is threaded through the whole curriculum, and you'll occasionally have whole anatomy days for 4 hours instead of class or maybe for just 1 or 2 hours of the class time. Sometimes we have pathology lab looking at gross specimens.

Are there any small group discussion lessons? Yes, see answer above

Do you buy books or study from material provided by instructors? Almost no one buy books --- maybe an anatomy one. Most of the required prep material is written out in word documents by the professors or they are lecture-style videos. If you need a book, you can just use the free online one through the library.

When do you start having clinical experience? The first week of orientation/immersion. You start doing patient interviews right away and learn the basics of the physical exam right away. Every other Wednesday we are in our assigned primary care clinics for the whole day seeing patients. The other Wednesdays we are with our clinical college (50 students in Cascade, 50 students in Olympic) focusing on learning new clinical skills, this might involve the simulation lab at Harborview. Every other week on a weekday morning we are in our clinical 5 person groups at the hospital either a) getting there at 8 am and doing a full patient history & exam with one patient or b) getting there later in the morning and going around as a group while the people who got their earlier do oral case presentations on their patients

Standardized patients? Immediately -- often during our clinical skill workshops on Wednesdays

Anyone in the global health or Hispanic health program can tell us about your experience? I can't sorry

Favorite
The faculty are overall very friendly, helpful, available, humble, and empowering. The clinical skills curriculum is phenomenal and the clinical skills experience right away in the program really helps build confidence in that area.

Likely compared to other programs, our time is (usually) not waste in long, boring lectures. Sometimes, though, there is the occasional bad lecture.

I like that pharmacology, pathology, and anatomy are threaded through the curriculum and related to the organ system we are studying rather than us taking a course on each.

They put a lot of emphasis on board prep and give us lots of resources.

They've cut out a LOT of stuff from the old curriculum that doesn't need to be taught or that is redundant. Thus, we take boards earlier and have more time for clinical rotations and clinical curriculum during foundations.

Needs Improvement
They try to cram too much sometimes into some of the courses. I sometimes feel we need one more week in some of the courses.
It's still a new curriculum. The first quarter didn't go as well with the format, but I think they will change a lot by next year because they are VERY open to feedback.

Counseling staff for only medical students
Your advisor
Career counselor
Learning/education counselor -- his job is to help us do well in class and on boards
Faculty in your clinical college
Dean of students + their office
Service learning manager
Lot of other support staff in the administrative office

How has your experience been so far?
I love the school :) -- mainly because the culture of the faculty & students facilitates collaboration among colleagues and patient centeredness. Too tired right now to get into more specifics but if you have other questions, please ask!
You are awesome, love the detailed answers, thank you so much for taking the time!

I met 4 California students that will probably attend UC instead of UW because they don't want to pay out of state tuition. They are all waiting on financial aid responses to relinquish their spots at UW.

Looks like Idaho approved their additional 5 seats again this year. Most excellent!

Gee, seems like last year OOR Waitlist had started moving by now, but not this year!