2015-2016 University of Tennessee Health Science Center Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When did you interview? I interviewed 3/1 and still nothing.
First week of March as well! Was expecting a 3/11 survey but nothing. Maybe this week.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anybody who interviewed in March gotten a survey letter or decision yet?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@RoamingBoredMed and anyone else who knows...

Are there any other incoming/current students who are using the HPSP scholarship? I am medically qualified with the Air Force, waiting on final acceptance. We are the Volunteer State after all.... Looking forward to meeting you all in the fall.

v/r

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the secret to getting in??

Well it is about being different I would say. Our class is very diverse and it creates a great dynamic. Teamwork is amazing here and our class is very tight-knit.

@RoamingBoredMed and anyone else who knows...

Are there any other incoming/current students who are using the HPSP scholarship? I am medically qualified with the Air Force, waiting on final acceptance. We are the Volunteer State after all.... Looking forward to meeting you all in the fall.

v/r

I can't help you out too much here except that I do know of 5 people in our class ,off the top of my head, that are in the HPSP scholarship.

As for as living in Memphis. do you enjoy it? What do you guys do for fun? Is there a friendly environment among the student body?

It honestly took a bit of time for Memphis to grow on me. The culture shock lasted about 2 months. After that, I appreciated the many different bars and unique food restaurants that are scattered around downtown. We always have events going on. It is a very fun city and it really isn't that dangerous as the stigma that may be associated with it.

We usually hit the bars or a house party after test nights. During the normal weeks, we do a lot of volunteer work and have our email flooded about opportunities and organizations. The environment is as friendly as it can be, no complaints.

Accepted student here and someone not from Memphis at all, what are the safest neighborhoods to live in that are relatively close to campus? Thank you so much!

As I mentioned above, anything north of downtown memphis is shady. Midtown and mud island are great. I wouldn't worry to much about the safety though. Campus security is everywhere and I spot a couple of cop cars on my way to school every time. Just be aware of your surroundings like you would anywhere else.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted student here and someone not from Memphis at all, what are the safest neighborhoods to live in that are relatively close to campus? Thank you so much!

I'm originally from Memphis, and while I think Mud Island is a great little medical community with a reputation of being "safe", be prepared to shell out way more than you should to live there. Midtown is A) just as safe and B) CHEAPER (yay). On the campus tour, the M3/M4s all said they lived on Mud island their first year, but moved to the Midtown area with about a 10 min commute even in rush hour traffic.

Just my two cents.Congrats on being accepted!

When is the final ranking for the waitlist made?

I spoke with Ms. Harris, and the committee is expecting to make final decisions on Friday, April 8th, the last adcom meeting. They will mail out final decision letters no later than April 18th.

So, I'm assuming if anyone has updates to send in, they should send them in before April 8th (next Friday).

I spoke with Ms. Harris, and the committee is expecting to make final decisions on Friday, April 8th, the last adcom meeting. They will mail out final decision letters no later than April 18th.

So, I'm assuming if anyone has updates to send in, they should send them in before April 8th (next Friday).
So does that mean everyone on the waitlist gets accepted or rejected?

on "hold" is not necessarily wait list. When they make the final decisions everyone with a "hold" right now should get accepted or ranked somewhere on the wait list and then will get a letter saying waitlisted instead of hold

No I believe they make a decision to actually wait list or accept.

Let me just say this about the waitlist, since I fell into this category last cycle.
The waitlist, unless you end up in the "top third" as they like to call it, is basically a 'thanks but we will hold off on accepting you until next year'. The waitlist last year was around 270 IIRC and I would bet less than 50 got off.

I guess it is a mystery why they create a waitlist more than quadruple what they'll accept. Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear, but I would definitely recommend having a back-up plan if you are waitlisted and are not at the top. (something you should already be thinking about if not accepted elsewhere)

Let me just say this about the waitlist, since I fell into this category last cycle.
The waitlist, unless you end up in the "top third" as they like to call it, is basically a 'thanks but we will hold off on accepting you until next year'. The waitlist last year was around 270 IIRC and I would bet less than 50 got off.

I guess it is a mystery why they create a waitlist more than quadruple what they'll accept. Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear, but I would definitely recommend having a back-up plan if you are waitlisted and are not at the top. (something you should already be thinking about if not accepted elsewhere)

Right?? Like why not just reject those that they know aren't gonna make it in!! Makes me so mad, lol but oh well! Nothing I can do about it, just wish I knew what city to be looking for housing in

Just curious, does anyone know when students typically take their Step 2 exams at UTHSC? i.e. At the end of M3 or M4? Thanks!

Right?? Like why not just reject those that they know aren't gonna make it in!! Makes me so mad, lol but oh well! Nothing I can do about it, just wish I knew what city to be looking for housing in
AMEN!
I'm on hold but I'm treating it like I got rejected and heading to ETSU (love the school). Looking for housing and everything

Did anyone else never get a survey letter? I'm on the hold list so I don't know if holds don't get survey letters.

AMEN!
I'm on hold but I'm treating it like I got rejected and heading to ETSU (love the school). Looking for housing and everything

How are you contacting the office to let them know you would no longer like to be considered? Trying to figure out the best way to withdraw my acceptance. Do you contact Nelson/Diane directly?

Did anyone else never get a survey letter? I'm on the hold list so I don't know if holds don't get survey letters.
I never did either. I even contacted Diane about it but never got one still. So she might have just not remembered...but who knows.

AMEN!
I would totally be doing the same thing if hubby could find a job in Johnson city!!

How are you contacting the office to let them know you would no longer like to be considered? Trying to figure out the best way to withdraw my acceptance. Do you contact Nelson/Diane directly?
You misunderstood me haha. I not withdrawing. I am just not waiting to take action to move.

As per AAMC traffic rules- Notify in writing (to the admissions office, follow up with email if necessary) before April 30.

Has anyone that interviewed in March received an acceptance yet? It seems like everyone that has interviewed in March has gotten placed on hold.

Has anyone that interviewed in March received an acceptance yet? It seems like everyone that has interviewed in March has gotten placed on hold.

Nope. Hold here as well.

Per Dean Strother, final decisions will be made this week.

If the pattern holds true, they should be mailed the week after they decision is made. Therefore hopefully next Friday, 4/15! Most likely it will be the following Monday, Tuesday 4/18, 4/19. Either way, good luck to everyone!

For those accepted, how did you submit your MCAT score to the school to satisfy that requirement?
I can't find the school on the list of institutions on the AMCAS Website.

For those accepted, how did you submit your MCAT score to the school to satisfy that requirement?
I can't find the school on the list of institutions on the AMCAS Website.

It will automatically be filled in from your AMCAS. Just give them a few weeks. All you need to send them is your final transcript.

So I guess we will find out final decisions sometime next week!

For those who did this last year, if you are WL, do you have to call to find out your relative place on the list? Or does it say in the final decision letter?

For those who did this last year, if you are WL, do you have to call to find out your relative place on the list? Or does it say in the final decision letter?
From what I remember reading, I think we have to call.

From what I remember reading, I think we have to call.

I was under the impression that they sent a letter that would heavily imply our placement on the waitlist. Then once you have the letter you are free to call/email for more, albeit vague, details.

You have to call in since the letter doesn't really give any specifics about your waitlist spot.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I keep hoping for a letter today or tomorrow, but I guess it's more realistic for it to be Monday

Should we expect a notification that it is on its way?
I don't think so. From what I've read of last years thread after you've already gotten the "survey letter" notification they don't notify you before sending more updates