2015-2016 University of Alabama Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
By saying they won't reveal the position on the waitlist, I guess that means his/her actual spot, not the tier? Will waitlisted students receive their tiers later?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
By saying they won't reveal the position on the waitlist, I guess that means his/her actual spot, not the tier? Will waitlisted students receive their tiers later?

According to the thread last year, they tell you later what tier you belong to

Thanks, I skimmed through it.

It seems like the second week of May, people got accepted "off waitlist" without knowing their tier?
And then the tiers were released in June 2015.

It also seems like some of those on the upper tier did not get in until July.

Members don't see this ad :)
This process makes absolutely no sense. I still haven't heard anything and my status remains unchanged. Last year the waitlist was posted April 30th with tiers included.

Update, just waitlisted.

Something tells me they used yield protection on you. If you don't have any other acceptances, I'd write a letter of intent

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Would writing one help if you don't have offers from other places?

OOS and nothing here. I'm pretty much dying over here.

I take that back. Checked my status on the secondary and am no longer under consideration.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the alternate list email today. I am instate with a 3.5 and 504. crap stats but lots of research hours. I didn't interview until the end of February on the next to last interview date which is probably why I'm on the alternate list.

No Longer Under Consideration. OOS. It was a long shot for me and I enjoyed the ride. Best of luck to the rest of you!

I talked to someone in admissions and confirmed that there will be no tiers to the waitlist this year, so I suppose there's no guessing as to what our chances are if on the alternate list.

Rejected OOS, I guess the south hates me

I talked to someone in admissions and confirmed that there will be no tiers to the waitlist this year, so I suppose there's no guessing as to what our chances are if on the alternate list.

Great...
Does that mean that it will be a smaller list than normal?
Is that why they changed their terminology from wait list to alternate list?(did they change their terminology?)

Great...
Does that mean that it will be a smaller list than normal?
Is that why they changed their terminology from wait list to alternate list?(did they change their terminology?)

That's possible too I guess because I'm IS and still haven't received anything.

Rejection Email today :( IS, interviewed back in October, kinda frustrated it took this long to get this email but it is what it is, reapplication here I come.

Rejected OOS as well, bummer, this was my top choice. Good luck to everyone!

Based on last year's thread, the next batch of acceptances for Alternate List applicants might be released early-mid May. Can anyone confirm this?

Based on last year's thread, the next batch of acceptances for Alternate List applicants might be released early-mid May. Can anyone confirm this?
Based on previous years, acceptances from the waitlist start coming out in the first few weeks of May; however, the alternate list was released earlier this year than in previous years, so I'm hoping that means that a few more acceptances may go out by the end of April.

My status is the same... But, as the saying goes, no news is good news.
Yeah.. Still campus choice received
That doesn't make sense since UAB has already filled the entering class of 2016. From now on, it's either you're on the Alternate List or you've been rejected. If I were you guys, I would call Admissions and check on your status.

I've looked at everything and called everyone haha. It's such a rare process that nobody has a really good grasp of it. I think this bodes poorly for my chances.

No one really gives a clear answer on this. But apparently there have been both successful and unsuccessful reclassifications. It seems it may be pretty difficult if you don't have a spouse.

No one really gives a clear answer on this. But apparently there have been both successful and unsuccessful reclassifications. It seems it may be pretty difficult if you don't have a spouse.

Yes, I've got the same run around

Hey guys/gals, I was just curious because I just don't understand.. but looking at https://www.uab.edu/medicine/home/welcome/facts-figures ... I was just trying to figure out a few things. For 2015, it says that 265 were accepted, but only 186 matriculated. So about 80 students withdrew their acceptances? What happens if only 70 withdraw? Also, is it possible to predict how big the waitlist was last year from this link? Thanks!

Hey guys/gals, I was just curious because I just don't understand.. but looking at https://www.uab.edu/medicine/home/welcome/facts-figures ... I was just trying to figure out a few things. For 2015, it says that 265 were accepted, but only 186 matriculated. So about 80 students withdrew their acceptances? What happens if only 70 withdraw? Also, is it possible to predict how big the waitlist was last year from this link? Thanks!
It's tricky to determine the exact number of waitlist applicants from that data, but the MSAR states that from last year's cycle, approximately 100 students were waitlisted from which 36 were granted acceptance.

Thanks for your reply!

Sheesh..So it seems like they only made it through the upper third last year... It is interesting how much it varies, for example consider the 2010-2011 cycle: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2010-2011-university-of-alabama-thread.728313/page-22 . Seems like over half of the waitlist was accepted!

Also, for what it's worth, it seems like the "Current Applicants" webpage was edited yesterday.. maybe that means some movement soon? http://www.uab.edu/medicine/home/future-students/admissions/current-applicants . haha

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply!

Sheesh..So it seems like they only made it through the upper third last year... It is interesting how much it varies, for example consider the 2010-2011 cycle: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2010-2011-university-of-alabama-thread.728313/page-22 . Seems like over half of the waitlist was accepted!

Also, for what it's worth, it seems like the "Current Applicants" webpage was edited yesterday.. maybe that means some movement soon? http://www.uab.edu/medicine/home/future-students/admissions/current-applicants . haha
They should have movement after April 30th due to AAMC Traffic Rules.

Withdrew OOS loved the school and the city and wished I could have attended but OOS tuition is too high. Will be back for residency UAB!

Reactions: 1 users
Withdrew OOS loved the school and the city and wished I could have attended but OOS tuition is too high. Will be back for residency UAB!
Thanks for the timely withdrawal. Mind sharing your stats if it's not too much to ask?

Does anyone know if they will have alternate list people accepted starting tomorrow since its past the April 30th deadline? Or do you think they will take their sweet time as always?

Do we/should we wait until May 15 to send a letter to help us off the alternate list? Or could it be sent immediately?