2015-2016 University of Alabama Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sure thing man! MCAT 30. Undergrad GPA 3.39 (why they kept out). Grad GPA 3.9 (why I think they let me in). Also in state.

Members don't see this ad.

Did y'all both interview 2/18? I still haven't heard of any 2/25 or 3/3 interviewees being accepted yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure thing man! MCAT 30. Undergrad GPA 3.39 (why they kept out). Grad GPA 3.9 (why I think they let me in). Also in state.
Did you get an interview with your first attempt? and CONGRATS!!!

Thanks! And yea, this was the third interview with UAB. I'd just been languishing in the wait-lists until this year.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it fate that I've met my traditional interviewer in person on three separate occasions after my interview day?

Reactions: 2 users
Do we have to be rejected before we can call to see what our application lacked and how to improve it for reapplication? Still hope to gain acceptance, but I want to start preparing for worst case scenario earlier rather than later.

Do we have to be rejected before we can call to see what our application lacked and how to improve it for reapplication? Still hope to gain acceptance, but I want to start preparing for worst case scenario earlier rather than later.
I think people can get feedback starting May 1 once the wait list is finalized.

Just pulled my application, was accepted OOS. Hoping that one of you gets my spot! Hate to let go of this great school, but OOS costs compared to in-state was the main motivation

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just pulled my application, was accepted OOS. Hoping that one of you gets my spot! Hate to let go of this great school, but OOS costs compared to in-state was the main motivation

Stats please? OOS as well

Thank you for making a timely decision. Good luck at your school of choice!

Nice! Stats?

I'm a non-traditional in-state student, second application. I'm overloaded with extracurriculars to offset my first degree. So don't let my overall GPA throw you off too much.

3.2 overall (bad economics degree at UA)
3.84 over the last 69 hours (biology degree at UAB)
Which gave me a 3.7 BCPM

508 MCAT

2000+ hours as a tech in an ER
2000+ hours as a tech in a surgery center
Anatomy lab TA for about 15 labs
Undergrad research for a couple semesters
Lot of hours shadowing

Edited for correct overall gpa

Last edited:
Dang, just got the waitlist email. No tier information

I'm IS and haven't got an e-mail yet.
Could you share your stat possibly?

I find it strange no one else has gotten anything yet. Maybe they can't get on sdn during work hours

Last edited:
Yeah I find it strange no one else has said anything yet. Maybe they can't get on sdn during work hours

34 and 3.7

Dang if u got wait listed with those stats then I'm getting rejected lmao

Possible they are forming the top-tier waitlist?

My understanding is that they don't waitlist out of state students.

This means I should know very shortly of my fate, and I don't feel great about it.
Did you hear this from the school? Just curious because I'm OOS as well.

Does anyone know anything about the Residency Reclassification process and if it's possible? The process seems difficult but am willing to do what it takes. I want to come to UAB but cant justify an extra $180,000 over four years :(

From Dr. Smith. He said that they typically have no OOS on waitlist so I guess it's not a definite.
I believe that he is a pretty solid source. Haha. Best of luck to you other OOSers. I'll keep my fingers crossed for us.

Does anyone know anything about the Residency Reclassification process and if it's possible? The process seems difficult but am willing to do what it takes. I want to come to UAB but cant justify an extra $180,000 over four years :(

All I know is that you have to be an Alabama resident prior to matriculating. (ex. physically living in AL for years prior to matriculating). I think there is a PDF file about the reclassification. Have you looked at that?

All I know is that you have to be an Alabama resident prior to matriculating. (ex. physically living in AL for years prior to matriculating). I think there is a PDF file about the reclassification. Have you looked at that?

I've looked at everything and called everyone haha. It's such a rare process that nobody has a really good grasp of it. I think this bodes poorly for my chances.

Dang if u got wait listed with those stats then I'm getting rejected lmao

I think what is holding me back is a downward trend in my gpa. Not an outright nosedive, but a slight downward trend.

Would like to hear of other people getting a waitlist email too though. kind of strange

Here are some relevant quotes from the email I got today--should clarify some things:

The UAB School of Medicine Admissions Committee recently filled the remaining places for the 2016 entering class. Although you were not selected for one of these positions, you were placed on the Alternate List and are among those individuals who will be given further consideration for a position should places become available in the class.

While your specific place on the list will not be revealed, we can inform you that the class is not over-subscribed and as accepted applicants withdraw, individuals will be accepted from the Alternate List.
We do not have any additional information about your status other than what is contained in this letter. Please monitor the “Information for Current Applicants” web page for information about the status of acceptances from our Alternate List.

Waitlisted with a 4.0, 520 MCAT in state...... Anybody know how long before they'll release tiers/start to accept off the wait list?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Waitlisted with a 4.0, 520 MCAT in state...... Anybody know how long before they'll release tiers/start to accept off the wait list?

Something tells me they used yield protection on you. If you don't have any other acceptances, I'd write a letter of intent

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Something tells me they used yield protection on you. If you don't have any other acceptances, I'd write a letter of intent

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

What exactly does that mean? I've never heard of that before..... I have an acceptance to South that I'm hanging onto as a plan B, but is that hurting my chances of going where I actually want to go?

What exactly does that mean? I've never heard of that before..... I have an acceptance to South that I'm hanging onto as a plan B, but is that hurting my chances of going where I actually want to go?

It means that you have such high stats that they were hesitant to offer you an acceptance because they felt you'd probably end up declining it for a higher tier school.