2015-2016 The Commonwealth Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello everybody

Yesterday I received a call from TCMC telling me I have been accepted!!
I am very NEW to the area. I am from Miami, FL and this will be a HUGE change but I am fine with it
even excited!

I have a question for all the PA people.

My boyfriend works in King of Prussia and so we have to find a middle point to live sort of half way between Scranton and KOP.

Does anybody have a recommendation?

Thanks and good luck!
The Lehigh Valley is just about in the middle. Bethlehem, PA is a cool little city. A lot of nice bars and restaurants.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everybody

I am very NEW to the area. I am from Miami, FL and this will be a HUGE change but I am fine with it
even excited!

My boyfriend works in King of Prussia and so we have to find a middle point to live sort of half way between Scranton and KOP.

Thanks and good luck!
Ahh! That is awesome, I'm really happy for you :) Hopefully I can get some love soon also

Hello everybody

even excited!

Thanks and good luck!
One other possibility (if your biggest concern is convenience and reduction of traffic related headaches) is to get a place near the Allentown exit of the Pennsylvania turnpike. That would be pretty convenient for both of you. Towns near there are Wescosville, Allentown (west end), Dorneyville. Good luck and congratulations!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everybody

even excited!

Thanks and good luck!

Congrats on you acceptance! Just throwing it out there, halfway is Allentown which is still an hour-hour and 15 min drive to TCMC! But as the others have said above, it is a nice town and there's a nice bar scene in Bethlehem since there is Lehigh University which is a pretty big school!

Hello everybody

even excited!

Thanks and good luck!

First, Congrats!

Second, Luckily 476 is more or less a straight shot between Scranton and Philly. The only real city between the two is Allentown, it's a bit closer to Philly than Scranton but it's close to half way. However both of you will most likely have over an hour commute every day. Him probably more (a lot more) due to the 476 traffic getting close to Philly.

Also completely unsolicited advice that you are more than welcome to completely ignore, depending on what he does for a living you might want to talk about him trying to relocate to somewhere closer to Scranton. With all the hours and stress already anticipated from school I would hate to have to commute an hour each way, every day. That being said, since all the lectures are casted gives you time to listen to them while you drive and get some passive studying done.

Hello everybody

even excited!

Thanks and good luck!

Not to have a dissenting opinion, but I like 20 minutes away from KOP now and have seen people doing the Bethlehem/Allentown route to Scranton 100 times.

I would first start to examine if there would be anyway to move closer. The amount of study time and meetings through school which will have to be done could impede you if you are traveling more than an hour each way everyday. Bethlehem is easily 1:15 min drive one way.

I would see, if it's that important, to move your boyfriend up or try distance. My girlfriend is going to Drexel med and we knew that it would be tough but being present at school and moving into each community fully is very important. Just one opinion though.

Not to have a dissenting opinion, but I like 20 minutes away from KOP now and have seen people doing the Bethlehem/Allentown route to Scranton 100 times.

I would first start to examine if there would be anyway to move closer. The amount of study time and meetings through school which will have to be done could impede you if you are traveling more than an hour each way everyday. Bethlehem is easily 1:15 min drive one way.

I would see, if it's that important, to move your boyfriend up or try distance. My girlfriend is going to Drexel med and we knew that it would be tough but being present at school and moving into each community fully is very important. Just one opinion though.

Yeah it will definetely be tough driving 1hr or more.
Thank you for your honest response

One other possibility (if your biggest concern is convenience and reduction of traffic related headaches) is to get a place near the Allentown exit of the Pennsylvania turnpike. That would be pretty convenient for both of you. Towns near there are Wescosville, Allentown (west end), Dorneyville. Good luck and congratulations!
Thank you for your response

First, Congrats!

Second, Luckily 476 is more or less a straight shot between Scranton and Philly. The only real city between the two is Allentown, it's a bit closer to Philly than Scranton but it's close to half way. However both of you will most likely have over an hour commute every day. Him probably more (a lot more) due to the 476 traffic getting close to Philly.

Also completely unsolicited advice that you are more than welcome to completely ignore, depending on what he does for a living you might want to talk about him trying to relocate to somewhere closer to Scranton. With all the hours and stress already anticipated from school I would hate to have to commute an hour each way, every day. That being said, since all the lectures are casted gives you time to listen to them while you drive and get some passive studying done.

Thank you for your reply

Is there a FB group for 2016 incoming class?

Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely loved this school during my interview. But today I chose to withdraw my acceptance, so I hope one of you guys get my spot. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    98.2 KB · Views: 508
Last edited:
Pulled off the wait list today!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 6 users

Last edited:
I thought I remembered on interview day hearing that we needed to get first aid and/or cpr certification before matriculating, but I'm not seeing any info about it in the pre-matriculation material. I could be confusing it with another school. Anyone know?

I never remember hearing anything like that. And if it was required I would assume it would be on the pre-matriculation checklist.

If you're unsure I would call or send an email to the admissions people and ask.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

IS and Currently still on the waitlist, I just got an email about the guaranteed acceptance to the MBS program. I was wondering if this means I am rejected or is this something everyone receives?

IS and Currently still on the waitlist, I just got an email about the guaranteed acceptance to the MBS program. I was wondering if this means I am rejected or is this something everyone receives?

I'm pretty sure everyone on the waitlist gets that. I love how it started off with "I am pleased to inform you..."

Reactions: 6 users
I'm pretty sure everyone on the waitlist gets that. I love how it started off with "I am pleased to inform you..."

Just got that today. Actually started to cry at work because I was so happy to get an acceptance.... And then I realized it was for a program that I just completed at another school...

has anyone observed any further OS waitlist movement prior years after this letter? I have heard some waitlist movement happen in early June as well.

And the subject was misleading too. I was unhappy.

Last edited:
Do NOT commute from Allentown to Scranton for years 1 & 2. Big big mistake. On a good day, it takes one hour... In the snow, or on a day with an accident, or construction (happening now), it could be upwards of 1.5-2 hrs.

Almost all classmates lived within a 20 minute drive, and most live within walking distance. Scranton has very cheap rent, and there is one landlord (michelle Wilkes? I believe thats her name... Should be on the facebook group) that offers very good housing for tcmc med students.

One thing that tcmc did that pissed me off alot was changing their schedule literally the hour before the class started. This happened quite frequently during my first 3 years.

does anyone know if TCMC is LGBT friendly?

how diverse is the student body?
Tcmc students are pretty lgbt friendly from what ive seen during my time.

The student body is probably less diverse than other schools, given the fact that they have a preference for NEPA peeps (who, by chance, are white). Haven't seen or heard of student-student racism, but there have been instances of racism, sexism from non students to students

Hello everybody

even excited!

Thanks and good luck!
I'm going to give you a very blunt and honest answer: Don't commute that far. I'm not sure what your boyfriend does, but it might be worth it to either see if he can relocate to Scranton or Wilkes-Barre or just live separately. Even with the best possible circumstances you're looking at a minimum of a 1 hour each way. If there is snow (2 winters ago was BRUTAL) or an accident or construction you're easily looking at 2 hours each way. During 1st or 2nd year many classes start at 8am or end as late as 6. Other events that you might want to attend can be even later. With as much stress and little free time that you're going to have just from being in medical school, losing 2-4 hours a day in commuting time is a terrible idea. Obviously it's possible, but it's not the best choice. Plus, the school has a bad habit of only giving like an hours notice that classes are delayed or cancelled because of bad weather (which means you would have already left). I'm in a long distance relationship right now, and so are a lot of other people (and mine is over 5 hours away), it's definitely not a relationship breaker to not live together.

Last edited: