2015-2016 The Commonwealth Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

This is one of my top choices! It's relatively close to where I grew up and I really wouldn't mind returning to the area. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't this school on probation?

They were taken off probation in 2012....
Current schools on probation are Baylor and Rosalind Franklin

I got accepted to this school last year and will be attending TCMC this coming August. I don't have much experience regarding what it's like as a student in TCMC, but let me know if you have any questions regarding interview, supplemental, etc. I was just in your shoes last year :) Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know if there is a maximum number of LOR you can send?

Secondary received! @Ismet

1. Given TCMC's unique mission and values, please tell us why you feel you are a good fit for our institution. (1500 characters).
2. List the five most important attributes you feel a physician should possess. Please choose one attribute and describe one personal experience that best exemplifies that attribute (1500 characters).
3. TCMC values diversity and is committed to maintaining an inclusive environment. How do you think you can contribute to our commitment to diversity and inclusion? (1500 characters)
4. If you have previously applied to TCMC’s Doctor of Medicine program, please describe your significant experiences between this year’s application and your previous application. If you are not a previous applicant, please type, “N/A” in the response area. (1500 characters)

Secondary received. Excited about applying locally.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else a bit discouraged over the number of OOS applicants invited to interview vs how many matriculated (6%)?

Is anyone else a bit discouraged over the number of OOS applicants invited to interview vs how many matriculated (6%)?

Not really, no. They interviewed 7.2% of OOS applicants, which is on par with many OOS-friendly public schools. Their matriculating class is 22% OOS, which is comforting. I think any schools whose matriculating class is over 20% OOS is fairly reasonable to apply to.

"Please choose one attribute and describe one personal experience that best exemplifies that attribute (1500 characters)."

Is everyone taking the "one personal experience" literal as in one event (i.e. 1 patient experience)? Or the accumulation of events in one overall experience (i.e. scribing)?

Thanks!

are you all verified? i still haven't received my secondary but i'm not verified yet :(

"Please choose one attribute and describe one personal experience that best exemplifies that attribute (1500 characters)."

Is everyone taking the "one personal experience" literal as in one event (i.e. 1 patient experience)? Or the accumulation of events in one overall experience (i.e. scribing)?

Thanks!

I would talk about one specific personal experience and how it ties to a whole overall experience. You can then relate the overall experience to an attribute. This is how I would approach it.

When they say that LORs have to be from "faculty" do they specifically mean professors that you took a class from? My PI is technically faculty at my school, although I didn't take a class from him, and I'm wondering if that would be a valid letter to submit

yo is this 1500 characters total? or without spaces (like GW)?

I just submitted my secondary, however, the TCMC website notes they have not received my LOR. I have all LOR uploaded to AMCAS. I assumed they would be sent with my initial primary application. any idea of the delay?

I just submitted my secondary, however, the TCMC website notes they have not received my LOR. I have all LOR uploaded to AMCAS. I assumed they would be sent with my initial primary application. any idea of the delay?
Did you select them for each school?

I just realized I wrote about the same experience in the first two prompts. That's unwanted, no?

I just realized I wrote about the same experience in the first two prompts. That's unwanted, no?

I would write about something else for one of them..

Secondary submitted!!!
Glad that's finally done.

4th year TCMC med student here. I interviewed back as a 2nd year student and will never forget how difficult applying to medical school was (in the process of getting my residency application together now. Time flies). Ask me anything.

I see TCMC is a private school, is there any specific reason why they grant so many more interviews to in-state students?

They actually give preference to those in NEPA who have a desire to return to the area to practice. It's part of their mission.

I see TCMC is a private school, is there any specific reason why they grant so many more interviews to in-state students?

I don't know the official answer to that question however the school was built to bring physicians to northeastern Pennsylvania. there is definitely a trend that students who grow up in the area or nearby are more likely to stay… which is what they want. I guess since they're private they can do what they want.

4th year TCMC med student here. I interviewed back as a 2nd year student and will never forget how difficult applying to medical school was (in the process of getting my residency application together now. Time flies). Ask me anything.

What is the campus community like at TCMC?

What is the campus community like at TCMC?

As far as relationship between faculty and classmates? It's amazing. Faculty members have open door policies and are easy to approach. Since the first two years are pass-fail, there is less competition between classmates. I've heard of other schools that have to deal with students sabotaging other student's notes and so forth, nothing like that at TCMC. There's friendly, healthy competition. A close friend and I would try to beat each other's scores on Step 1, Step 2CK, and our shelf exams (and even practice tests), but that's what we used to drive ourselves to succeed. Also the class size is being capped at 100ish students so you'll know everything about everyone (for better or worse).

They have a mission to serve the rural and underserved areas of Pennsylvania correct? Cannot quite decipher that from the website and MSAR

Not really, no. They interviewed 7.2% of OOS applicants, which is on par with many OOS-friendly public schools. Their matriculating class is 22% OOS, which is comforting. I think any schools whose matriculating class is over 20% OOS is fairly reasonable to apply to.

I find nothing comforting about those stats. They had 5027 OOS applicants and 22 ended up matriculating, a whopping half of one percent, if you round up. Not great odds. I have no idea why they would go through all the effort to interview 362 OOS people if they never planned to take more than a handful. This is a private school, too.

Lol then don't apply. As you said, it's a private school. They can do whatever they want. No one here is going to argue with you about their OOS matriculation percentage. You either think it's worth applying or you don't.

Edit: I will caution you though about the way you're analyzing this information. You want to give more weight to the interviews offered than the matriculation percentage. Once a seat is offered, it's up to the applicant whether or not they matriculate. There's a large number of reasons why less OOS applicants choose to matriculate than IS (tuition, distance from family, etc). Of the interviews offered, almost 50% were to OOS students. Over 20% of the class is OOS. That's good enough for me to apply.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
anyone know if 3 LOR is the maximum?

MSAR doesnt specify

When they say that LORs have to be from "faculty" do they specifically mean professors that you took a class from? My PI is technically faculty at my school, although I didn't take a class from him, and I'm wondering if that would be a valid letter to submit

I am also curious about this. I am in the same situation. Did you find an answer?

I am also curious about this. I am in the same situation. Did you find an answer?

Faculty the overwhelming majority of the time means someone who taught your class.

Of course there a exceptions made and/or varying policies.

Just got an interview invite so I wanted to post my stats to help others better figure out where they may stand.

In-State, undergrad cGPA: 3.72, grad cGPA: 4.0, MCAT: 31 (So LizzyM around 68 / 69)

Secondary received: July 2nd
Secondary submitted: July 12th
Interview offered: July 27th

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
Just got an interview invite so I wanted to post my stats to help others better figure out where they may stand.

In-State, undergrad cGPA: 3.72, grad cGPA: 4.0, MCAT: 31 (So LizzyM around 68 / 69)

Good luck everyone!

Congrats, and thank you very much for posting this information.

Good luck everyone!

Congrats! Did you get it via e mail?

I have all 4 green check marks under the Status tab but have not received any more emails - confirmation or otherwise. Secondary/fee submitted 7/3, letters received 7/20.

Is there anything else I need to do ?

Just logged into the app portal and realized I never actually clicked "submit". I paid and had everything complete on 7/13, just sitting there for no one to see. :bang: