2015-2016 Ponce School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So no portfolio? I ask again because I called today and asked. They told me they didn't require it, but some interviewers liked or asked if you had one... Please confirm :) thank you!
One girl brought one and it remained on the table the whole time. No one asked for portfolios. I can't speak for other interviewers, though, and you are better safe than sorry so if you have one, bringing it will definitely not be an issue.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

the interview went very well. Four of us (all puertoricans) got interviewed by a panel of three. Questions were English and Spanish but predominantly Spanish. To me it seems that if you are OOS they WILL test your spanish.

They will notify me and the whole first batch in Mid-November.. Hopefully with good news!!

Congrats to all interviewees and good luck!

Where there questions about current situations? Or just personal ones? Thanks for the information!! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Where there questions about current situations? Or just personal ones? Thanks for the information!! :)
I'd rather not give too much info about the interviews, but from what I've seen and heard, they are very varied. Different interviewers with very different questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd rather not give too much info about the interviews, but from what I've seen and heard, they are very varied. Different interviewers with very different questions.

I understand. Thanks :)

Buenos días! How did it go for those of you who interviewed yesterday?

Buenos días! How did it go for those of you who interviewed yesterday?
Hi!
It actually went very well, better than I thought. It was also a group interview 4 students with 2 panelists. Now just waiting on the notification in November. Exito a todos!!

Buenas - I am an MS1 OOS student wanting to offer a place to stay for anyone that is coming through and interviewing. As an applicant last year, I had 0 information pre-interview about places to live (if accepted), places to stay during your time here, etc. and I don't think there is currently information available for applicants in this regard. Also important to say, I am not on here to give you advice about which school to chose, who matches where, academics or statistics of any kind. Any OOS or IS applicants that want to stay the night in town and don't want to use Airbnb or stay at the Hilton; - We have a blowup mattress and couch available for those who are cutting costs very close to school. Also, if you need a little extra information to soothe the mind (again non-academic), feel free to DM me. Como siempre, exito and suerte a todos! Fuerzaaaa throughout the whole application process!

Nothing yet! I hope we hear from them this week.
Did they say when they would contact you and how? I was told mid-november. My anxiety levels are way to high right now!

Did they say when they would contact you and how? I was told mid-november. My anxiety levels are way to high right now!
They told us two to three weeks after the interview, and the contact would be by email and then letter by mail. I know how you feel!!

Has anybody called to know the status?

They told us two to three weeks after the interview, and the contact would be by email and then letter by mail. I know how you feel!!

Has anybody called to know the status?
A friend of mine called today but they were out of the office. I called the 5th and was told the admissions committee hadn't met yet.

I called today and they said that the committee has not met yet, they expect to have the notifications by the end of this month. I guess we'll just have to be patient and wait.

Members don't see this ad :)
mep2.jpg

Local here.

Got an email asking to pay for a secondary fee and the admission requirements in order to proceed evaluation. Is this the secondary? How soon would I hear from them after?

Yeah. It's not really a secondary application, though; just the fee.
It's hard to tell when they will get back to you. I think they are dealing with a pretty high volume right now. ¡Éxito!

Last edited:
I have to ask, though. Since this is no secondary, did I pass a screening or do they send this out to all apps? It doesn't look like it was screened. It just mentions that in order to proceed with app processing I have to meet some requirements, which I do, but it's not like I'm the super best candidate out there...

I'm just a little concerned for the time and money I'll put into sending more transcripts and fees, when I could just skip that and know I'm not getting in altogether.

I have to ask, though. Since this is no secondary, did I pass a screening or do they send this out to all apps? It doesn't look like it was screened. It just mentions that in order to proceed with app processing I have to meet some requirements, which I do, but it's not like I'm the super best candidate out there...

I'm just a little concerned for the time and money I'll put into sending more transcripts and fees, when I could just skip that and know I'm not getting in altogether.
Well, thats your call.The minimum MCAT score they are willing to accept is 494 or ~22 and avg cGPA is ~ 3.6 if I'm not mistaken.

As far as the secondary fee email, I'm pretty sure everyone gets one but I could be wrong. You should give them a call.

check your emails!!! :soexcited:

check your emails!!! :soexcited:
Just did! Lol i have nothing from Ponce. Did you get something? I called them today to see if someone there could give me an update on my app but I had to leave a voicemail.

Me too and nothing. Did you get accepted? If so, congrats!!
Yes, I did. Thanks! But it says that they will be sending the formal letter later, so maybe that's why you guys haven't received anything

Yes, I did. Thanks! But it says that they will be sending the formal letter later, so maybe that's why you guys haven't received anything
I certainly hope so! Por lo menos ya tu puedes estar tranquilo/a sabiendo que vas a ser doctor/a :D

That's awesome felicidades! Still haven't heard anything from them yet fingers crossed though.

Congrats to those accepted!!
Does anyone know when the next round of decisions will be? Im guessing January.

Congrats to those accepted!!
Does anyone know when the next round of decisions will be? Im guessing January.

I called today and they said the committee will meet again the 3rd week of January. Then my face went: :(:dead::nailbiting::bang: !!!!

& the wait continues...

Tagging @malamia because he might know the answer!

Preface: I have no ties to PR (TX resident) and have only basic knowledge of Spanish (took 3 years of the language in high school).

This might be a question that I should ask the admissions people at these schools directly, but SDNers might know the answer!

I'm currently enrolled in Spanish I for the upcoming spring semester at a community college to satisfy the requirements of the PR schools that take OOS students . I understand that I'll need to take more than one semester of Spanish in order to be fluent, and I know that most of these schools need more than 3 credit hours, but my question is, would this school accept a student on the basis of "good faith," in that the student would continue to learn Spanish throughout medical school?

For instance, Ponce require students to have at least 3 credits of Spanish on their transcript - after the application cycle would have started in 2016, I'd have 4, with the intent to sign up for Spanish II (either in the summer or fall semester); would Ponce even consider me?

If somehow granted an interview after meeting prereqs / criteria, I'm obviously in no position to have an entire interview conducted in Spanish (unlike most of you!), but I wouldn't be averse to continue with learning Spanish either. I'm just wondering if it's worth spending the time and effort into taking Spanish, because I have no idea about school policies. (Not that there aren't any merits in taking Spanish - but the sole reason for me taking it is to get into a PR school!)

Also, does anyone have ratios on IS:OOS students that Ponce takes? I couldn't find any data on their website.

Last edited:
Tagging @malamia because he might know the answer!

Preface: I have no ties to PR (TX resident) and have only basic knowledge of Spanish (took 3 years of the language in high school).

This might be a question that I should ask the admissions people at these schools directly, but SDNers might know the answer!

I'm currently enrolled in Spanish I for the upcoming spring semester at a community college to satisfy the requirements of the PR schools that take OOS students . I understand that I'll need to take more than one semester of Spanish in order to be fluent, and I know that most of these schools need more than 3 credit hours, but my question is, would this school accept a student on the basis of "good faith," in that the student would continue to learn Spanish throughout medical school?

For instance, Ponce require students to have at least 3 credits of Spanish on their transcript - after the application cycle would have started in 2016, I'd have 4, with the intent to sign up for Spanish II (either in the summer or fall semester); would Ponce even consider me?

If somehow granted an interview after meeting prereqs / criteria, I'm obviously in no position to have an entire interview conducted in Spanish (unlike most of you!), but I wouldn't be averse to continue with learning Spanish either. I'm just wondering if it's worth spending the time and effort into taking Spanish, because I have no idea about school policies. (Not that there aren't any merits in taking Spanish - but the sole reason for me taking it is to get into a PR school!)

Also, does anyone have ratios on IS:OOS students that Ponce takes? I couldn't find any data on their website.

If you have the pre-reqs before matriculating you'll be fine but you should be able to carry at least a simple conversation in Spanish. I've interviewed in Ponce and SJB so far and both were very heavy on Spanish; regardless of the interviewee's nationality. One of the students at SJB, however, told us that his Spanish was really poor when he matriculated and it wasn't a huge problem. I think that the admisions office will have the best answer for you.. give them a call and good luck!

As for the IS/OOS ratio, according to the MSAR, last year's class was 59IS/11OOS.

Does anybody know what the email from certiphi background check means, if one has not received any word of acceptance, rejection nor wait list?

Does anybody know what the email from certiphi background check means, if one has not received any word of acceptance, rejection nor wait list?
I received it too, and I have the same question. Im guessing it means we'll be receiving an answer soon.

I received it too, and I have the same question. Im guessing it means we'll be receiving an answer soon.
I read in last years' thread that people who received the background check email were not on the waitlist. I received the email as well and I'm hoping for the best. Good luck!

Hi!!
Llamé hoy y me dijeron que estaba Aceptada!!!! Tuvieron unos problemas con los emails y por eso no llegó. Les recomiendo que llamen, ya las cartas las enviaron por correo. Éxito!!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi!!
Llamé hoy y me dijeron que estaba Aceptada!!!! Tuvieron unos problemas con los emails y por eso no llegó. Les recomiendo que llamen, ya las cartas las enviaron por correo. Éxito!!
Felicidades ! A mi también me aceptaron!! Nunca recibí el email pero si la carta de aceptación :)

I am IS as well! I interviewed in November and was accepted in January. I'll be more than happy to answer any questions anyone might have. Good luck to all!

Is there a facebook page for the people that are going to ponce?

I just got an email asking to pay for a secondary fee last week and the admission requirements in order to proceed evaluation. I know this is not secondary app just a fee, however How soon would I hear from them after? and Why so late to send me this!!!

Accepted! OOS. Interviewed early December*.

*There was a scheduling error so the person who was supposed to interview me wasn't available when I arrived for my interview. I met with a couple unscheduled faculty/staff and had a second interview via Skype last week.

How do I know if I'm placed on the waitlist? I haven't received any notification of rejection.

I got an invitation for an interview for next week, which seems very late in the cycle. Does anyone know why that might be? Also, what is the interview format like at Ponce?

I got an invitation for an interview for next week, which seems very late in the cycle. Does anyone know why that might be? Also, what is the interview format like at Ponce?
I have no idea why they would invite so late, but what does it matter, you just got an interview invite! Congratulations!!! The format is group interview( on my day it was 2 OOS and 4 IS). It was all very calm and each person was given general questions. Good luck if you decide to go!

If any girl is looking for roommates please let me know!

I have no idea why they would invite so late, but what does it matter, you just got an interview invite! Congratulations!!! The format is group interview( on my day it was 2 OOS and 4 IS). It was all very calm and each person was given general questions. Good luck if you decide to go!
Good to know! Thanks Doc2beApril93... I am going, so I hope all goes well!

Maybe you were waitlisted, someone dropped out, and you were the next on the list that fulfills the requirements. I've heard these late interviews can go on up till June or maybe even July.

Good luck.

Maybe you were waitlisted, someone dropped out, and you were the next on the list that fulfills the requirements. I've heard these late interviews can go on up till June or maybe even July.

Good luck.
Yeah that seems likely. I think the interview went well. Let's see what happens!