2015-2016 Ponce School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know how long after the primary app is submitted for Ponce to send out the supplemental app?

Do you know how long after the primary app is submitted for Ponce to send out the supplemental app?
Up to last year this school didn't require a secondary, but things might be different with the new administration.

On the website, it says there is no secondary app, but they'll request LORs and application fee after the AMCAS is received. My AMCAS has been verified for almost a month but I haven't been contacted by them yet. How long did it take for people to get contacted?

On the website, it says there is no secondary app, but they'll request LORs and application fee after the AMCAS is received. My AMCAS has been verified for almost a month but I haven't been contacted by them yet. How long did it take for people to get contacted?
I emailed them last week and they said they were not contacting anyone until September!

Reactions: 1 user
So do we wait to send in supplemental materials until they contact us? or can we go ahead and send them now?

I received an email today with instructions/

Reactions: 1 users
After sending our AMCAS application to Ponce SOM, what is next? Also, what email should I use to contact admissions? I sent an email on 7/24 to [email protected] with no response yet. +pity+
They'll send you an email requesting a $75 fee, transcripts and saying that you must speak, read, and write spanish. I don't know about the email. Maybe call?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am confused about Ponce's transcript request. Everyone needed to send AMCAS transcripts in order to be verified so shouldn't Ponce already have access to our transcripts? Basically, Is Ponce asking to send the same transcripts from AMCAS directly to their school? +pity+
Basically.

Has anyone received any communication from Ponce yet? I emailed them about 2 weeks ago and they said they would be sending out something soon but I have still not heard anything

Has anyone received any communication from Ponce yet? I emailed them about 2 weeks ago and they said they would be sending out something soon but I have still not heard anything
They sent an email acknowledging that they received my app. I spoke with them 2-3 weeks ago and was told that they usually begin reviewing applications late september but with the new MCAT it's taking them a bit longer. I wouldn't be worried. Did you already pay the fee?

I did not because I did not receive the initial email saying that my application was received, I only found out when I had asked. How much is the secondary fee? Thanks!

I did not because I did not receive the initial email saying that my application was received, I only found out when I had asked. How much is the secondary fee? Thanks!
I did not initially recieve it either..
I only noticed because a couple of friends were also applying and recieved the email. The fee is $75. Ask for that email, though. It has some important info in it like the fact that you also have to send in transcripts.

No actual secondary application, though! Just a fee.

Is this school strict about the Spanish requirement (classes)

Is this school strict about the Spanish requirement (classes)
Yep. Classes will be in both Spanish and English.

In their initial communication with the applicant they state:

"Classes are taught either in English or Spanish. You must be able to speak, understand, read and write both languages. If you do not comply, we kindly suggest that you discontinue your application process by replying to this email."

Anyone knows the new mcat minimum score?

I think the average this year should be 495-497.
They'll always take some people with lower or higher MCAT scores; it depends on your GPA.

When do you all think OOS applicants should start hearing from Ponce about interviews?

Does anybody know if out-of-state (mainland) applicants are interviewed in English or Spanish?

Does anybody know if out-of-state (mainland) applicants are interviewed in English or Spanish?
I have a friend that already interviewed. They do group interviews and, at least, his was all spanish. I'm going this tuesday and will be sure to let you know how it went!

I have a friend that already interviewed. They do group interviews and, at least, his was all spanish. I'm going this tuesday and will be sure to let you know how it went!
Éxito @malamia! I'm going this tuesday aswell, you going at the AM or PM?

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Éxito @malamia! I'm going this tuesday aswell, you going at the AM or PM?

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
AM! Gracias, igual! Te voy a enviar un mensaje ahora a ver si nos conocemos allí!

Got an interview for next month! OOS, kind of nervous because my Spanish is not perfect :/ Those who interviewed or are interviewing soon please let me know how it goes!

Last edited:
Got an interview for next month! OOS, kind of nervous because my Spanish is not that great :/ Those who interviewed or are interviewing soon please let me know how it goes!
Will do! And congrats on the II! I gotta tell you, your chances are looking very good. If you check MSAR, Ponce interviewed 16 OOS applicants of which 11 matriculated. Take into account acceptees that didn't matriculate and that leaves an almost 100% interviewee-acceptance rate.

They've just called me and I'm interviewing this Friday. Do I have to bring a portfolio or just my nervous self? :laugh:

They've just called me and I'm interviewing this Friday. Do I have to bring a portfolio or just my nervous self? :laugh:

Lol, just your nervous self. I called today and asked. I am bringing a small notebook.

Hi!!!
Just got my II today as well for this Friday!!
Nos cuentan como les va. Exito a todos!!

Reactions: 2 users
Got an II for this Friday as well!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys,

the interview went very well. Four of us (all puertoricans) got interviewed by a panel of three. Questions were English and Spanish but predominantly Spanish. To me it seems that if you are OOS they WILL test your spanish.

They will notify me and the whole first batch in Mid-November.. Hopefully with good news!!

Congrats to all interviewees and good luck!

Hey guys,

the interview went very well. Four of us (all puertoricans) got interviewed by a panel of three. Questions were English and Spanish but predominantly Spanish. To me it seems that if you are OOS they WILL test your spanish.

They will notify me and the whole first batch in Mid-November.. Hopefully with good news!!

Congrats to all interviewees and good luck!
So no portfolio? I ask again because I called today and asked. They told me they didn't require it, but some interviewers liked or asked if you had one... Please confirm :) thank you!