2015-2016 Ophthalmology Ranking Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Take a few deep breaths. Have a beer or three. Plan your 4th year vacations. Match day will be here soon enough.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm spending this time finding the perfect whiskey for Tuesday. I suggest you do the same ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No Scotch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's your go to bourbon ?

I have inexpensive taste.

I just started Larceny, and I'm liking it. Knob Creek isn't bad either, IMO.

I was taught that Jim is my best friend.

Picked up a bottle of Blanton's today. Good luck guys!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just picked up a bottle of bourbon: Colonel E.H. Taylor, Single Barrel. I think it is funny that this ranking post became a whiskey and scotch ranking post.

Reactions: 4 users
congratulations on matching! can anyone post the link to the spreadsheet where people can post their match result? curious who my co-residents are :)

So I didn't match last year - worked my ass off for literally the last 364 days - matched today.

Can't overstate how relieved, excited and happy I am!!!

Reactions: 12 users
Congratulations!! What a huge accomplishment. I also spent an additional year trying to break into the field. I can't wait to find out where I matched! The minutes are going so slowly...

Haha, I honestly don't even care where I matched at this point. We're going to be ophthalmologists!

Congratulations!! What a huge accomplishment. I also spent an additional year trying to break into the field. I can't wait to find out where I matched! The minutes are going so slowly...

I'm glad I'm not the only one still waiting! Aaah losing my mind. So elated to have matched though!

in the same exact boat...

I matched at 8/11. **** happens, try and figure out why you may have matched where you did and move on. Nothing you can do about it now except accept where you are and be grateful that you matched. Imagine if you had matched at 12/11 AKA not matched.

If it's any consolation I know why I ended up where I did and I'm happy with my match in the end. Good luck guys. Congrats on your match its a huge accomplishment.

So I didn't match last year - worked my ass off for literally the last 364 days - matched today.

Can't overstate how relieved, excited and happy I am!!!

I could really use some advice. Any chance I could PM you? Thanks!

I don't mean to be a nag, but I gotta say this: if this year's anything like last year, ~30% of applicants didn't match at all, and if you're in that boat you'd give anything to match anywhere. It's quite painful to see people dissatisfied when they DO match to a program they willingly ranked...

Bonoz, or anyone else needing advice (on matching, not matching, or whatever really), feel free to PM me :)

I don't mean to be a nag, but I gotta say this: if this year's anything like last year, ~30% of applicants didn't match at all, and if you're in that boat you'd give anything to match anywhere. It's quite painful to see people dissatisfied when they DO match to a program they willingly ranked...

Bonoz, or anyone else needing advice (on matching, not matching, or whatever really), feel free to PM me :)

It won't let me PM you.. it gives me "ERROR..This member limits who may view their full profile."

Congrats to everyone who matched!! If you are unhappy with your match give yourself time to be unhappy. Then let it sink in that you are going to be an ophthalmologist (!!) and realize there are plenty of applicants who would GLADLY take your place. Vow to be a kick-ass resident at your future program. Matching in ophthalmology is a major accomplishment. Period.

Reactions: 2 users
weird, someone else was just able to PM me! click my name and then click "start a conversation"?

weird, someone else was just able to PM me! click my name and then click "start a conversation"?

Still gives me an error. Can you try and start a conversation with me? Thank you!

So happy to get that call this morning! Congrats everyone! I'm looking forward to working with all of you awesome people.

Matched and so happy where I got it! Thank you everyone for your advice and guidance!!! Best of Luck and congratulations to everyone today!

Congrats to everyone who matched!! If you are unhappy with your match give yourself time to be unhappy. Then let it sink in that you are going to be an ophthalmologist (!!) and realize there are plenty of applicants who would GLADLY take your place. Vow to be a kick-ass resident at your future program. Matching in ophthalmology is a major accomplishment. Period.

Couldn't have said this better myself. somehow everyone you meet will tell you they matched at their #1. I always found this curious. Also I've found that no matter how you rank things there are good and bad to every program and you will never know any different from where you train. You will have no comparison, as you are not able to train for 3 months here and 3 months there. And what you perceive about a program as a med student is different that actually training there.

So, put on a happy face. You have done something incredible. And this process, whether you got your number 1 or your number 10, or didn't match, doesn't define you. We jump through many hoops in medicine and this was another hoop/hurtle.

Congratulations to all of you. For those of you who didn't match, take some time to cry, scream, binge and then start talking to advisors, mentors, people on here and move forward. There are many paths to take, and even some decide to do a different specialty and end up VERY happy. So think it through and keep moving.

Good luck everyone

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
So does a designated mod usually start the match thread or one of us does it?

The volume at Emory is huge. I know specifically that Emory residents pull 12 hour days on a daily basis especially when working at the VA. Even the most enthusiastic residents say they are overworked, and really not for their benefit. I'd still stay Emory > Baylor overall, especially now, less so 15-20 years ago. Also, UT Houston is working hard to take the spotlight away from Baylor so you have to think about that as well whether it be volume, faculty, researchers etc.

I am a current Emory ophthalmology attending hoping to provide some insight to the comment above. I agree that here in Atlanta we have a lot of volume as we are the only academic institution. The typical VA day is 8am until 5pm. Rarely clinic can go until 6pm. At Grady (the county hospital) there is more variability regarding when clinic is complete. Residents learn by doing in a very hands-on method. In my opinion the residents graduating from Emory are as well-trained as any in the country. Residency is a time to work hard and see a large volume of patients. This is how you learn and becoming clinically competent. Emory is a not a program for those who want to be home by 4pm every day.