2015-2016 Morehouse School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know of a good resource to find housing and roommate information?

The booklet they sent us had some suggestions for places to live. If you are in the FB group I would probably ask there as well.

Members don't see this ad.

So I got accepted as well. For those accepted, did you receive all your forms via email? My acceptance email only has the cover letter with it.

That happened to me too :/ I think they are sending it separately later tho? but i could be wrong...

Members don't see this ad :)
^^ i would also like to know how to hunt for apartments/roommates. What booklet are you talking about??
If u look at the previous pages on this thread there is some housing advice and some people seeking roommates. I would also search Atlanta apartments on apartments.com and read the reviews to determine if it's worth visiting.

Reactions: 1 user
There is an official Facebook group for the accepted students. Search for morehouse medical 2020.

Anyone else finding it to be extremely hard to access a judge of the highest court system for the county which you reside in order for them to sign the residency form?

Anyone else finding it to be extremely hard to access a judge of the highest court system for the county which you reside in order for them to sign the residency form?

I sent it in without filling out that part and it seemed to be okay.

Received an acceptance phone call last night at 630pm. It was a tough decision but declined the offer. Best of luck to those still waiting!

Reactions: 1 users
If anyone needs interim housing before signing a lease I'm subletting my place from ~June 15th-July 31st (you could renew the lease here as well)! 1 or 2 bedrooms each with a private bath less than 15 minutes to school and next to Walmart and Kroger on Howell Mill! PM for more and congrats everyone!

I'm from Gwinnett and just called the courthouse the day before and they said to come on up first thing in the morning... Another kid's mom was there with a copy of his license and they let her get it filled out on his behalf.

Believe it or not, its actually not very difficult. I live in Dekalb county and all I did was go to the courthouse and explained my situation without even call in advance. I think they get students who need forms filled out like this all the time (judging from the context clues)

Members don't see this ad :)
Has any OOS waitlisted applicants been accepted yet?

Reactions: 4 users
Believe it or not, its actually not very difficult. I live in Dekalb county and all I did was go to the courthouse and explained my situation without even call in advance. I think they get students who need forms filled out like this all the time (judging from the context clues)
I tried that in Paulding and it was not near as easy. All of the judges were in session and their secretaries would not set up an appointment, but I will keep trying. Hopefully, I just tried on a bad day and it is typically like the experience you had. Thanks!

I'm from Gwinnett and just called the courthouse the day before and they said to come on up first thing in the morning... Another kid's mom was there with a copy of his license and they let her get it filled out on his behalf.
I'll try that on Monday, Thanks!

Declined my offer to attend MSM as well. I hope it goes to one of you!

Reactions: 2 users
For those who were recently accepted. Did you send your parents tax forms to the school? The office of student affairs wasn't really helpful answering my questions

Got the acceptance email at 6:14. OOS. Really surprised, didn't think my interviews were great lol. Pretty excited!

Reactions: 4 users
Did anyone get a confirmation email after sending in all of their documents?

Did anyone get a confirmation email after sending in all of their documents?
I got one like a week ago (and like a month after turning in my stuff). I t seemed to be automated and they just checked off what you've turned in and said to get in what you hadn't turned in by the 1st. You can probably call and ask if you have anything missing though. See you at orientation!

I got one like a week ago (and like a month after turning in my stuff). I t seemed to be automated and they just checked off what you've turned in and said to get in what you hadn't turned in by the 1st. You can probably call and ask if you have anything missing though. See you at orientation!
Thank you!

Still waiting on OOS waitlist

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Starting to feel really discouraged. Does anyone know when Morehouse lets waitlisted applicants know their final decisions?

Starting to feel really discouraged. Does anyone know when Morehouse lets waitlisted applicants know their final decisions?
I spoke to the admissions office this morning to get similar information as I try to just plan my life (while remaining on the alternate list as an OOS applicant). lol. Basically, orientation is scheduled to start on 6/29. Applicants on the alternate list can be called anytime between now and then. It's not a ton more information but hopefully it is a little bit helpful.

Reactions: 1 users
I spoke to the admissions office this morning to get similar information as I try to just plan my life (while remaining on the alternate list as an OOS applicant). lol. Basically, orientation is scheduled to start on 6/29. Applicants on the alternate list can be called anytime between now and then. It's not a ton more information but hopefully it is a little bit helpful.

Thank you. That atleast gives me sort of a deadline. Waiting is so stressful. I'm trying to figure out my life lol. I'm not sure if I should apply for the next cycle or spend the next year bettering my application for the next one.

Hi, if it helps my husband just received an offer from MSM on Monday 6/6/16 from the wait-list. He first received an email that asked if he was still interested and about 2-3 hours later he received an email for an offer.
Good Luck Everyone!

Just got my financial aid package and I most likely will be withdrawing my acceptance.
Hi, my husband was just accepted and I am worried about finances. Did you withdraw because they did not offer financial aid, or because the aid offered (loans etc.) were not enough?

Hi, my husband was just accepted and I am worried about finances. Did you withdraw because they did not offer financial aid, or because the aid offered (loans etc.) were not enough?

Your husband should go. Getting an acceptance into a US MD program is already ****ing hard enough. And if he rejects the offer and applies to other US MD schools next year,
they will probably question that ( AND YES, they can see if you denied an acceptance) and it could hurt him as a reapplicant.

I have had this happen to a friend who wanted to go to UCSD so bad. He only got accepted to UCR and when he reapplied luckily.... (his stats were really high) he only got into 3 OOS MD schools compared to last cycle were he got 11 acceptances to US MD. IN the end, he matriculated to Albany Med.

I know, that the tuition at morehouse is on the high end of MD schools, but with public loan forgiveness programs, it makes managing the debt so much easier.

https://studentloanhero.com/featured/ultimate-student-loan-repayment-guide-for-doctors/

Or he could do the military scholarship, and that pays for everything..

On another note, I am neither URM or african american and luckily I got into morehouse.

I am currently on 5 waitlists at the moment and while morehouse was not the first choice for me (the high tuition is a huge negative factor), I am going to accept and run with it

The pain and MONEY and TIME, wasted on reapplying is NOT WORTH IT. I had to ****ing eat ramen for every meal for an entire month just to pay for hotels, flights and application fees. NEVER AGAIN.

And for my 6th interview, I ran out of money to fly there and stay in a hotel (I budgeted for 5 interviews and a hopeful 1 acceptance).. So I had to drive to the other side of the country, sleep in my car before the interview, attend the interview and then, four months later become waitlisted.. DO YOU KNOW how painful that is to experience? Your husband should know this pain very well.

Reactions: 10 users
@LastWinter
You know how to grind, props for that! :nod:

I remember driving 2.5 hours for an interview, then driving back the same day. People thought I was crazy. But you gotta do, what you gotta do, right?

Again, props to you!

Your husband should go. Getting an acceptance into a US MD program is already ****ing hard enough. And if he rejects the offer and applies to other US MD schools next year,
they will probably question that ( AND YES, they can see if you denied an acceptance) and it could hurt him as a reapplicant.

I have had this happen to a friend who wanted to go to UCSD so bad. He only got accepted to UCR and when he reapplied luckily.... (his stats were really high) he only got into 3 OOS MD schools compared to last cycle were he got 11 acceptances to US MD. IN the end, he matriculated to Albany Med.

I know, that the tuition at morehouse is on the high end of MD schools, but with public loan forgiveness programs, it makes managing the debt so much easier.

https://studentloanhero.com/featured/ultimate-student-loan-repayment-guide-for-doctors/

Or he could do the military scholarship, and that pays for everything..

On another note, I am neither URM or african american and luckily I got into morehouse.

I am currently on 5 waitlists at the moment and while morehouse was not the first choice for me (the high tuition is a huge negative factor), I am going to accept and run with it

The pain and MONEY and TIME, wasted on reapplying is NOT WORTH IT. I had to ****ing eat ramen for every meal for an entire month just to pay for hotels, flights and application fees. NEVER AGAIN.

And for my 6th interview, I ran out of money to fly there and stay in a hotel (I budgeted for 5 interviews and a hopeful 1 acceptance).. So I had to drive to the other side of the country, sleep in my car before the interview, attend the interview and then, four months later become waitlisted.. DO YOU KNOW how painful that is to experience? Your husband should know this pain very well.

Thank you for providing such a wealth of information! And yes, the struggle has been challenging for two rounds of admissions and he has worked so hard. I'll pass on this information to him. Thanks so much!

Thank you for providing such a wealth of information! And yes, the struggle has been challenging for two rounds of admissions and he has worked so hard. I'll pass on this information to him. Thanks so much!

Glad I could help. You really need to tell him to go, do not hesitate.