2015-2016 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How do we know if our transcripts have been received? It just says the word "References" in red under my "Document Status" tab.

Members don't see this ad.

just wondering--why did you have to be on campus July 1st? Do all students need to be on campus by then?

Because they told me I had to be a part of the EMT training which I did NOT volunteer for. I was volunteered by Admin.

What does a fair amount mean? Any numbers you can provide?

Ok well nearly half our class was from the waitlist and that has been pretty historical. Is that a good enough estimate?

Members don't see this ad :)
Because they told me I had to be a part of the EMT training which I did NOT volunteer for. I was volunteered by Admin.

Ok well nearly half our class was from the waitlist and that has been pretty historical. Is that a good enough estimate?

What led to mandated EMT training? That's odd.

Sounds interesting. Did you have a say in the matter? Or was it, participate or don't matriculate?

It was "You are coming to Augusta on July 1 or else" so while I never found out what "or else" means, I just made an assumption I had to be here within less of a week of that letter, which is what happened. Hence why I got a sketchy house in a sketchier neighbourhood because I had to move to Augusta with no notice.

I received my campus assignment this past Friday. I was accepted ED back in September. Yay Athens!

Reactions: 1 user
When did you receive your pounce ID after your acceptance? And was it by email?

You can look up your pounce ID by looking up your name in the directory. Last year, I got my pounce ID this way three days after acceptance. They sent it out 2 weeks later by email.

It was "You are coming to Augusta on July 1 or else" so while I never found out what "or else" means, I just made an assumption I had to be here within less of a week of that letter, which is what happened. Hence why I got a sketchy house in a sketchier neighbourhood because I had to move to Augusta with no notice.

That is strange, I thought the EMT program was strictly on a volunteer basis. I remember applying for it, and I believe that everyone that was in our class was there because they wanted to be apart of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is strange, I thought the EMT program was strictly on a volunteer basis. I remember applying for it, and I believe that everyone that was in our class was there because they wanted to be apart of it.

I was told by Jordan that I was going to be in it by phone call.

I asked for a calendar and more information, brought it to my mentor, had a discussion, decided that I probably shouldn't do it because I just could not get down there fast enough because I wanted to find a place to live that was safe, was called that Thursday before class started, and told I had to be in Augusta July 1st which was the following week.

I ended having to get into any house I could, so just grabbed the one place that approved me, since you know who I am (and I suspect I know who you are based on username) you know all hell broke loose with the repeated robberies, the sexual assault, the drug reactions to deal with the PTSD, etc. And you know I spent half that class still trying to move in from where I was living before.

I can't help but wonder what would happen if I had not bothered to ask for more information. Probably would have ended up in a safer location. Probably would not be on a LOA.

(Lesson to all you kids in 2020, under no circumstance move to anything around Harrisburg.)

I was told by Jordan that I was going to be in it by phone call.

I asked for a calendar and more information, brought it to my mentor, had a discussion, decided that I probably shouldn't do it because I just could not get down there fast enough because I wanted to find a place to live that was safe, was called that Thursday before class started, and told I had to be in Augusta July 1st which was the following week.

I ended having to get into any house I could, so just grabbed the one place that approved me, since you know who I am (and I suspect I know who you are based on username) you know all hell broke loose with the repeated robberies, the sexual assault, the drug reactions to deal with the PTSD, etc. And you know I spent half that class still trying to move in from where I was living before.

I can't help but wonder what would happen if I had not bothered to ask for more information. Probably would have ended up in a safer location. Probably would not be on a LOA.

(Lesson to all you kids in 2020, under no circumstance move to anything around Harrisburg.)

Dang... that really sucks.

Dang... that really sucks.

You have no idea. I was informed that I was volunteered even though that really isn't consistent with what happened.

What is true is that I asked about the program to admissions who sent out the information. That was pretty much it. The rest is history.

Let that be a lesson to me, never ask for more information... on anything.

Is there any formal support/guidance at MCG to prepare med students for the residency application process? I want to go out-of-state for residency and am wondering how difficult that will be if I go to MCG for med school.

Is there any formal support/guidance at MCG to prepare med students for the residency application process? I want to go out-of-state for residency and am wondering how difficult that will be if I go to MCG for med school.

Weird question, since pretty much every medical school has staff that performs exactly that function.

Also, this year's match list shows that 72% of MCG grads are going out of state for residency.

Weird question, since pretty much every medical school has staff that performs exactly that function.

Also, this year's match list shows that 72% of MCG grads are going out of state for residency.
I've heard that MCG is considered a regional medical school. I would like to go to California for residency, would I be at a disadvantage if I choose to go to MCG? My other school of consideration is Tulane. Thanks!

I've heard that MCG is considered a regional medical school. I would like to go to California for residency, would I be at a disadvantage if I choose to go to MCG? My other school of consideration is Tulane. Thanks!

Quick glance, around 26 matched CA programs from Tulane last year. MCG is a public school, and as a result, tries to focus students on practicing in-state, or at least in the southeast. Athens had 1 student match UCSF last year, and Augusta had 5 match CA programs.

Last edited:
Quick glance, around 26 matched CA programs from Tulane last year. MCG is a public school, and as a result, tries to focus students on practicing in-state, or at least in the southeast. Athens had 1 student match UCSF last year, and Augusta had 5 match CA programs.
This is probably more the result of selection bias though. People who want to live in Georgia tend to go to MCG and later on continue with an in-state residency. People who go to a private school like Tulane are less likely to be tied to that area and are probably more the type to move elsewhere for residency.

If you really want to go to residency in California (or anywhere else for that matter), you can make it happen!

Edit- I'd like to point out that I'm not biased towards MCG or anything. In fact I'm probably going to an OOS private school myself. I just don't think this is a valid reason not to choose MCG.

Yeah just thought I'd throw out some numbers. Ultimately, your step places you, alongside clinical grades, LORs, etc. Though if you truly want a CA residency, going to a CA school is your best bet.

Yes there is but for the first few years. I think that comes in 3rd year. Most MCG students have to go out of state if for no other reason than Georgia doesn't have that many resident spots in comparison to how many medical students graduate. People are basically forced out of state even if they want to remain instate.

So far the consensus is..everyone who interviews and is not accepted is on the waitlist..or at least the vast majority. As far as how many people come off the waitlist..someone above mentioned around half the class, but no definitive numbers. In addition, every year is different, but I would guess at minimum, 40-50 should be pulled off the waitlist.

So did everyone who got an interview and not accepted get placed on the waitlist... Also how many people did they accept off of the waitlist last year?

Pretty much everyone who interviews and was not accepted wis waitlisted. They apparently do reject people after interview but it seems to be rare.

A significant amount of 2019 was waitlist as far as I can tell since almost every single person I became friends with or spoke to were accepted after I was and I was accepted on traffic day. I met very few who were accepted outright.

Is anyone considering writing a letter of intent? Or does the admissions committee not take those into account

Is anyone considering writing a letter of intent? Or does the admissions committee not take those into account

The general consensus on SDN is that LOIs hold some weight if you have an acceptance elsewhere. But there's no way to confirm if the LOI will actually help. If you have no other school you would like to attend, I doubt it would hurt, just may not make an impact at all.

I was told by mcg that updates including LOI's are not accepted at this point in the process, also this was apparently stated in our post-interview emails

I was told by mcg that updates including LOI's are not accepted at this point in the process, also this was apparently stated in our post-interview emails

I was also told this. Only grade updates are allowed at this point.

It sucks but this happens at a lot of schools I've heard :/ I guess some people wait to withdraw until the very last second.
Hi! That someone was me lol. I interviewed in late February and was placed on the waitlist...was all set to go to another school when I got a call saying I'd been accepted. And MCG was my number one choice so I moved heaven and earth to make my way to Augusta. Bottom line is, don't give up hope

Hi! That someone was me lol. I interviewed in late February and was placed on the waitlist...was all set to go to another school when I got a call saying I'd been accepted. And MCG was my number one choice so I moved heaven and earth to make my way to Augusta. Bottom line is, don't give up hope
When were you accepted off the waitlist?

Any regrets?

Anyone know if Harrison scholarships have been chosen or notified? I feel like they did this around now last year

Does anyone know if MCG has a meet and greet for accepted students? I know the MCG dental school had one recently so people could find roommates and look for apartments in Augusta together, and other med schools I was accepted to are sending out their meet and greet dates.

Does anyone know if MCG has a meet and greet for accepted students? I know the MCG dental school had one recently so people could find roommates and look for apartments in Augusta together, and other med schools I was accepted to are sending out their meet and greet dates.

I think there was a second look last year, but since a large chunk get accepted off the waitlist I would assume that might be why I never heard of it.

However, if anyone on SDN is in Augusta and would like to meet with me and to see potentially rent a room in the rather large 3/3 2800 sq ft house my husband is purchasing for me, let me know by PM. I'm supposed to be closing very soon but I have the code for it.

Only pets not allowed will be birds (I'm allergic) and ferrets (they smell). I own a dog, a corgi who is overly friendly.

Any regrets?
None whatsoever....best decision of my life coming here. I may be a bit biased but we really have the best med school in GA outchea...the few concerns I had about MCG during the application process based on a previous perception of the school were quickly assuaged.

is anyone able to see their transcript status on the portal? In the waitlist email there were instructions on how to check it but mine has been blank when I click on "Document Status"

I thought they just needed a final transcript after graduation? Do I need to go ahead and submit last semester's grades?

is anyone able to see their transcript status on the portal? In the waitlist email there were instructions on how to check it but mine has been blank when I click on "Document Status"

Nope. I called a few weeks ago, and she told me they don't know why we can't see it, but they want to get it fixed. So hopefully we'll be able to see it on there soon.

Mine is now showing up as well. Guess they fixed it!

Saw Dr. Buckley at the Masters tournament today! Didn't get a chance to say hey tho.

Has anyone recently accepted received a campus assignment yet? I was accepted mid March and I've yet to hear anything.

does anyone know if harrison scholars have been picked/notified already?

Has anyone recently accepted received a campus assignment yet? I was accepted mid March and I've yet to hear anything.

Unfortunately, I was told by the admissions office that campus assignments usually aren't made until the May-June timeframe, regardless of when you were accepted or which campus preference you chose (with the exception being early decision applicants, according to someone who posted earlier in this thread). Still, fingers crossed for sooner rather than later; it would make things so much easier to know where we're going to end up ASAP.

Unfortunately, I was told by the admissions office that campus assignments usually aren't made until the May-June timeframe, regardless of when you were accepted or which campus preference you chose (with the exception being early decision applicants, according to someone who posted earlier in this thread). Still, fingers crossed for sooner rather than later; it would make things so much easier to know where we're going to end up ASAP.

I got my campus assignement on March 18th! I think I was accepted in January but at the time, I was told that they don't make them very often because it's a completely separate committee from admissions. So maybe they'll send out more soon!