2015-2016 MD/PhD Secondaries (Alphabetical List)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Argle Bargle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It looks like the list of MD/PhD secondary prompts is a few years old at this point, so let's update it!

If a school isn't listed here, I haven't seen their secondary prompts. Feel free to either send me the prompts, or create your own thread and send me the link so that I can reference the thread here.

To keep these threads helpful and easy to navigate, please:
-Notify me of any mistakes
-Include all prompts and include the suggested word/character counts
-Ask relevant questions or provide useful information about these programs
-Feel free to ask specific admissions-type questions like "Does this school have a stated preference for X type of candidate?" Or, "My MCAT/GPA is below the average for this school. What could I do to increase my chances, especially for this program?"

Please do not:
-Ask generic "will I get in?" type questions. No one can even guess well without seeing your entire application, and even then it's not certain.
-Comment without substance. Friendliness is awesome (honestly), but comments take up a lot of space and I want to make sure it's easy for people to find information quickly. Feel free to wish people luck or say that it's your dream school, as long as it's part of comment that includes other useful information or questions.

The list from 2012 is here.

Other MD/PhD threads from this year:
Interview Invites
Acceptances
Rejections
Wait Lists

2015-2016 school list--will grow as secondaries arrive
Albert Einstein
Baylor
Boston University
Case Western Reserve
Columbia
Cornell (Weill)
Dartmouth (Geisel)
Duke
Emory
Johns Hopkins
Harvard
Mayo
Mt. Sinai (Icahn)
New York University
Northwestern
Ohio State University
Oregon Health and Science University
Stanford
Tufts
University of Arizona
University of California, Irvine
University of California, Los Angeles (Geffen)
University of California, San Diego
University of California, San Francisco
University of Chicago (Pritzker)
University of Colorado
University of Iowa
University of Michigan
University of Minnesota (no secondary)
University of North Carolina
University of Pennsylvania
University of Pittsburgh
University of Southern California
University of Washington (Note different application process)
University of Wisconsin
Vanderbilt
Washington University
Yale

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Wait MD/PhD secondaries are different from MD-only ones?

fml

(Hopefully this counts as a useful question.)

Reactions: 1 user
Wait MD/PhD secondaries are different from MD-only ones?

fml

(Hopefully this counts as a useful question.)
Hey, yes, definitely a useful question. Sorry, I'm not trying to scare people away from asking questions. I think anything except for those examples I listed are "useful."

My understanding is that MD/PhD programs often have questions that are often in addition to the MD only programs. See this link from 2012: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/md-phd-specific-secondary-prompts.896251/

Edit after seeing a few secondaries: It varies by the school. Some have no other secondaries. Some replace the MD secondaries. Some are in addition.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Got Michigan's --

Essay 1:
Briefly describe why you decided to apply to the University of Michigan MSTP. If you are interested in a specific department, program, or area of research for your Ph.D., please provide a brief explanation (we recognize that your interests may change).

Essay 2:
At the University of Michigan Medical School, we are committed to building a superb educational community with students of diverse talents, experiences, opinions, and backgrounds. What would you as an individual bring to our medical school community? Do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words).

Got Michigan's --

Essay 1:
Briefly describe why you decided to apply to the University of Michigan MSTP. If you are interested in a specific department, program, or area of research for your Ph.D., please provide a brief explanation (we recognize that your interests may change).

Essay 2:
At the University of Michigan Medical School, we are committed to building a superb educational community with students of diverse talents, experiences, opinions, and backgrounds. What would you as an individual bring to our medical school community? Do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words).

Great, thanks! I just created a thread for it, too. Is there a word/character limit for Essay 1?

Great, thanks! I just created a thread for it, too. Is there a word/character limit for Essay 1?
No but it says "briefly," then gives 250 for the second without saying "briefly," so I'd bet that less than 250 is best...

This isn't officially a secondary - University of Washington calls it their MSTP preliminary application (secondary is sent after review of AMCAS primary + prelim app) - but here are the questions from their prelim app (no word limits):

Indicate the area(s) of research in which you are interested.

Please use this space to supplement your AMCAS Personal Comments. (MSTP will consider information provided here as well as your AMCAS Personal Comments)

How did you find out about the University of Washington's Medical Scientist Training Program?

For those applying to UW, how are you approaching this second question? Supplement your AMCAS personal statements with what? Update on activities? Reasons for interest in UW's program? Other ideas?

This isn't officially a secondary - University of Washington calls it their MSTP preliminary application (secondary is sent after review of AMCAS primary + prelim app) - but here are the questions from their prelim app (no word limits):

Please use this space to supplement your AMCAS Personal Comments. (MSTP will consider information provided here as well as your AMCAS Personal Comments)

How did you find out about the University of Washington's Medical Scientist Training Program?

For those applying to UW, how are you approaching this second question? Supplement your AMCAS personal statements with what? Update on activities? Reasons for interest in UW's program? Other ideas?

Did you get an email with that or did you just find it on their website?

On their website. I think you can access it as long as your primary is verified
Weird, I just tried to login but it says "no application exists with that ID". I was verified Thursday... maybe their office has to process it first? I'll call tomorrow... I know my AMCAS ID is valid/verified as I've been getting other secodnaries

Thank you! I definitely had forgotten about the preliminary application. I'll start a UW thread now.

This is useful. Thanks OP!! Will contribute when my app gets verified and I start receiving secondaries.

Question for other MD/PhD applicants: are you addressing the non-research focused questions any differently than you think a regular MD candidate would? Like should our answers regarding questions on topics like diversity or adversity faced allude to our interests in research and how our challenges will make us better PhD candidates? Or focus more on the medical side of things for these questions?

Hey guys, just thought i'd say hello after a bit of a break from SDN. I applied MSTP last cycle and am matriculating at Yale. Let me know if you all have any questions as you go through this crazy process. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, just thought i'd say hello after a bit of a break from SDN. I applied MSTP last cycle and am matriculating at Yale. Let me know if you all have any questions as you go through this crazy process. Good luck!
Oh, great, thanks! Do you still have the secondaries from last year? I can start a Yale MSTP thread with them, if so. And I'll definitely be asking you questions at some point in the process.

Yeah I do. I don't have immediate access to them though because I'm actually on my way to new haven to find a house to rent. But I can send the prompts to you when I get back if you can remind me (I get back Saturday).

Yeah I do. I don't have immediate access to them though because I'm actually on my way to new haven to find a house to rent. But I can send the prompts to you when I get back if you can remind me (I get back Saturday).

Thanks! This year's actually arrived. I'll post them as soon as I get the chance.

Yes please! I haven't gotten Harvard's yet, so that sounds like a good deal to me.
So weird. Some people have Yale and some have Harvard, but few have both. Neither of them screen. Whyyyyyy what does this mean

University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine's MD/PhD Secondary:

1) Briefly describe your reasons for pursuing a combined M.D./Ph.D. degree and your most relevant research or scholarly experiences that have influenced your decision.

2) List of publications and papers submitted including one or two sentences describing your role on each publication.

3) Please provide the names of faculty at USC and Caltech with whom you would like to meet, if invited for an interview.

Any suggestions on how to answer #1 without basically copying and pasting my MD/PhD statement from my primary???

University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine's MD/PhD Secondary:

1) Briefly describe your reasons for pursuing a combined M.D./Ph.D. degree and your most relevant research or scholarly experiences that have influenced your decision.

2) List of publications and papers submitted including one or two sentences describing your role on each publication.

3) Please provide the names of faculty at USC and Caltech with whom you would like to meet, if invited for an interview.

Any suggestions on how to answer #1 without basically copying and pasting my MD/PhD statement from my primary???

Seriously??? The AMCAS MD/PhD secondary prompt is almost exactly the same thing. I would call them and simply say that you have answered exactly the question they're asking with your MD/PhD statement from the primary. What are they hoping from you now that's different? Maybe say it in a way that doesn't convey that you're annoyed because they're wasting your time unnecessarily...

Case Western just allows you to reference the primary application. Maybe USC does too.

Oh, do you have word/character counts for those?

All of these secondaries are basically asking for information we already exhaustively submitted through AMCAS. So frustrating.

In any news, has anyone heard back from any schools yet? I've only submitted 5/13 MD/PhD secondaries... dying slowly

I've been getting secondaries, but no II's yet.... Do you think they review MD/PhD applicants' secondaries differently than MD applicants? I noticed a lot of people who were applying MD are getting II's, but I haven't gotten a single one... Maybe it's too early in the game to sweat it?

University of Cincinnati literally asks for the exact same essays that you have to write for the primary. And tons of other info that could just be copied and pasted from the primary. Why do we even bother filling out the primary application in the first place? Can we just use the same essays?

University of Cincinnati literally asks for the exact same essays that you have to write for the primary. And tons of other info that could just be copied and pasted from the primary. Why do we even bother filling out the primary application in the first place? Can we just use the same essays?

My pre-med advisor told me to "allude to what you mentioned in your AMCAS application, while going into more depth on some things you couldn't elaborate on in your AMCAS essay because of the limit..."

Also, is anyone else here applying MD/PhD to UCSD or UCD and has received a secondary?

I haven't gotten any IIs yet either. Haven't submitted all of the secondaries yet, but most of the ones I care most about. Anyone?

I haven't gotten any IIs yet either. Haven't submitted all of the secondaries yet, but most of the ones I care most about. Anyone?

I haven't gotten any either but I would imagine I'm a pretty "middle of the pack" applicant.

Hi! Anyone here applying to AECOM MD/PhD? The AECOM secondary first page asks us whether we have clinical research experience. Then the section of clinical research area shows a list of basic science research areas. This is quite confusing. Can anyone kindly advise?

Still veryyyyy quiet here. I have 16 apps in--all finished in the 5th-25th of July range. :scared:

Still veryyyyy quiet here. I have 16 apps in--all finished in the 5th-25th of July range. :scared:

I've got 26 in between July 22nd and today and have heard nothing. How long do schools normally take to review an application?

From what I've read it varies a lot depending on the particular school. I wouldn't start to worry yet, as I think the majority of schools don't start sending out IIs until Mid-August... so probably late next week or the week after we'll be hearing about more IIs.

I got UNC Chapel Hill today. Questions:

Prompt 1: We have all tried something and failed, whether it was something big or something small. Describe a situation or an experience you had when you realized that you were not up to the task, and tell us what life-lessons you learned from this experience.*

Prompt 2: Much of medical school education is based on team-learning. What important activity have you accomplished that required a team approach, what was your role in the outcome, and what did you learn from it?

Prompt 3: Give an example of how you made a difference in someone's life-whether it is a patient, friend, classmate, or a family member-and explain what this experience taught you about yourself.

I got UNC Chapel Hill today. Questions:

Prompt 1: We have all tried something and failed, whether it was something big or something small. Describe a situation or an experience you had when you realized that you were not up to the task, and tell us what life-lessons you learned from this experience.*

Prompt 2: Much of medical school education is based on team-learning. What important activity have you accomplished that required a team approach, what was your role in the outcome, and what did you learn from it?

Prompt 3: Give an example of how you made a difference in someone's life-whether it is a patient, friend, classmate, or a family member-and explain what this experience taught you about yourself.

I just got this one this morning as well. Turned it around in like 5 minutes. Think that was a record for me. I was beginning to think I had screwed up my primary somehow since I hadn't heard from them yet.

Can anyone please post Northwestern's prompts, including the MD-only as well? Thank you so much in advance!!!

Does anyone have any idea when MD/PhD secondaries should start going out (or have they already)?

Starting to get tired of all these MD-applicants with a bajillion interviews already :p

Can anyone please post Northwestern's prompts, including the MD-only as well? Thank you so much in advance!!!

Here you go:

Why did you choose your undergraduate major? How does the subject appeal to you? (200 words)

Name a scientific paper that you have read recently that had a strong impact on you and describe what impact it had. (200 words)

Discuss a current unanswered question in biomedical research that you find particularly interesting and what research you would like to see done to address it. (200 words)

What is the most gratifying research experience you have had to date and why? What was the greatest obstacle you had to overcome in research and how did you overcome it? (200 words)

If you wish, use this space to provide more detail about your selections above and how you would bring diversity to the Northwestern community. (250 words)

How do you envision your career after you complete your training, including residency and fellowship? What aspects of your life and career will be most satisfying? What frustrations can you envision in your future career, and how do you hope to handle them? (200 words)

Please describe your current research interest as you plan your research training. (400 words)

Has anyone received a secondary from UCSF yet? I know they're pretty selective with their secondaries and I haven't heard anything from them.

@Morpheo

Yes, I received my secondary 7/20. I was confirmed in AMCAS on 6/8 though. I know once they receive a swell of applications it can take 6-8 weeks for UCSF to finish their screen of your application. Hang in there, I'm sure it's coming soon. :)

@Morpheo

Yes, I received my secondary 7/20. I was confirmed in AMCAS on 6/8 though. I know once they receive a swell of applications it can take 6-8 weeks for UCSF to finish their screen of your application. Hang in there, I'm sure it's coming soon. :)

Same for UC Irvine?

Anyone have secondaries that I'm missing? I've now posted all of the ones I'm going to get myself.

Same for UC Irvine?

UC Irvine had a pretty quick turn around for me. All of the UC's have some sort of screen, but how thorough it is seems to vary quite a bit (with UCSF and UCSD having the most thorough screens, to my knowledge)

Anyone have secondaries that I'm missing? I've now posted all of the ones I'm going to get myself.

Below are the rest of the ones I have. Thanks for organizing this, @Argle Bargle!

Baylor
1) Primary Research Interest(s), Career Goals, and potential Baylor College of Medicine or Rice University faculty research interests. (Will not limit final research project or mentor selection). (2000 chars)
2) Include any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you feel would be helpful in evaluating you including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, prevailing over adversity. You may expand upon but not repeat AMCAS application information. (2000 chars)

Colorado [I think this is the same as for MD]
1) Please do not repeat content from your personal statement in this essay. To the extent that there is overlap in the personal statement to what you want to write here, please choose a different approach to discussing the issue(s), such as influence on your values and beliefs, changes you made in your life, reflections that are from a different perspective. The committee utilizes this important information in the interview process.
Part A. The School of Medicine regards the diversity of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school. Please write about things in your background that have been important to your development or that have been challenging to you on your path to a career in medicine. These could include your socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, sexual identity, and work or life experiences. Explain how these have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.
Part B. Please write about the “fit” between your experiences and goals and the University of Colorado School of Medicine
Please answer both parts in this single essay. Limit the essay to 1500 characters, including spaces (approximately 300 words).

NYU [I think this is the same as for MD]
1) If you have taken any time off from your studies, either during or after college, please describe what you have done during this time and your reasons for doing so.
2) The Admissions Committee uses a holistic approach to evaluate a wide range of student qualities and life experiences that are complementary to demonstrated academic excellence, strong interpersonal skills and leadership potential. What unique qualities or experiences do you possess that would contribute specifically to the NYU School of Medicine community? (2500 char)
3) The ultimate goal of our institution is to produce a population of physicians with a collective desire to improve health of all segments of our society through [the] outstanding patient care, research and education. In this context, where do you see your future medical career (academic medicine, research, public health, primary care, business/law, etc.) and why? Your answer need not be restricted to one category. If your plans require that you complete a dual degree program, please elaborate here. (2500 char)
4) Please answer only one of the following three questions (2500 char):
  1. The most meaningful achievements are often non-academic in nature. Describe the personal accomplishment that makes you most proud. Why is this important to you?

2. Conflicts arise daily from differences in perspective, priorities, worldviews and traditions. How do you define respect? Describe a situation in which you found it challenging to remain respectful while facing differences?

3. Describe a situation in which working with a colleague, family member or friend has been challenging. How did you resolve, if at all, the situation as a team and what did you gain from the experience that will benefit you as a future health care provider?
Mt. Sinai
1) If you are currently not a full time student, please briefly describe the activities you are participating in this academic year, if it is not listed on your AMCAS application.
2) How did you learn about the program you are applying to?
3) Provide a one sentence summary of your current research interest.
4) Please tell us about a passion (professional or personal) you have had thus far in your life (250 word)
5) Please tell us about a situation in which working with others has been challenging. (200 word)
6) Please describe how the characteristics of the Ichan School of Medicine at Mount Sinai’s MD/PhD program [will] help you to achieve your career goals. (200 word)

UC Irvine [I think this is the same as for MD]
1) What personal accomplishment are you most proud of and why? (1500 chars)
2) Please describe to the Admissions Committee a challenge you have overcome and what you learned about yourself from that experience (1500)

UCLA [pretty much the same as MD]
1) Specific areas of interest at UCLA: list your areas of interest on one line separating each by a comma. Include names of faculty at UCLA whose work is of interest
NOTE: the following 9 short answers all have the same 800 character limit
2) Describe involvement in the one most important non-academic activity that has been important in your life
3) What has been the one most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated?
4) What has been the one most important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaningful?
5) Has there been or will there be a gap between achieving your last degree and the expected time of medical school matriculation? (yes or no). If yes, please explain.
6) What is the one most important honor you have received. Why do you view this as important?
7) What has been your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities)? Describe one and give number of hours, dates and advisor
8) Describe a problem in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth.
9) List major paid work experience during (or since) college. Give dates, description, approximate hours worked (list the most recent first)
10) Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What experiences have led you to this goal?

UCSD [pretty much the same as MD]
This should be a true autobiographical statement. Topics to be included are family, childhood, primary and secondary school years, undergraduate years, and, if applicable, what you’ve done since completing your bachelor’s degree. You should also discuss the motivational factors which led you to a career in medicine including any disadvantages or obstacles which might put your accomplishments into context. A repeat of your AMCAS statement will not be acceptable. Please note: if you are applying to the MD/PhD program, please include why you are seeking the MD/PhD training at UCSD. (6000 chars)

UPenn [same as MD]
1) Please explain your reasons for applying to the Perelman School of Medicine (1000 chars)

WashU
1) (Optional) Describe a time or situation where you have been unsuccessful or failed. (3000 chars)
2) (Optional) Do you have unique experiences or obstacles that you have overcome that were not covered in your application about which you would like to inform our Admissions Committee? (3000 chars)
3) If you have already completed your education, if your college or graduate education was interrupted, or if you do not plan to be a full-time student during the current year, describe in chronological order your activities during the time(s) when you were not enrolled as a full-time student. (1800 chars)
4) Briefly describe the area of research [you] would like to explore in graduate school (1800 chars)

Below are the rest of the ones I have. Thanks for organizing this, @Argle Bargle!

Hey, thanks for posting all of those. What are the MD/PhD-specific secondary prompts for UCLA? I was able to mostly confirm for the others.

And wow, I should have applied to Penn. Best (easiest) secondary aside from Mayo and Minnesota.

Status
Not open for further replies.