2015-2016 Florida Atlantic University (Schmidt) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
got invited to second look this morning! I'm on the alternate list so I guess this is a good sign

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just confirmed my spot on the alternate list (interviewed 02/12). When is second look out of curiosity?

My status still says review in progress. Any hopes for an interview invite at this point?

If on the wait list with no second look invite is there any hope left?

vL63jeP.jpg
EUCmHos.jpg

Last edited:
Alternate list from 2/26. Not a surprise considering they more or less told us their class was filled, but anybody know how much movement there is from the list? With that being said, congrats to anyone who did get in today!

Alternate list from 2/26. Not a surprise considering they more or less told us their class was filled, but anybody know how much movement there is from the list? With that being said, congrats to anyone who did get in today!

Interviewed on 2/26 and was placed on the alternate list as well.

With that in mind, I am also quite curious as to the movement on the waitlist from past years. Also wondering how often they give out acceptances to wait list applicants, on a weekly or monthly basis?

Best luck to all.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Any WL movement here recently? This thread has been really quiet.

Reactions: 1 user
Man this thread is so quiet... no waitlist movement or withdrawn acceptances in a while! May 2nd is coming though so I hope this thread starts to get some action

Any students here want to quickly touch on PBL and how they've felt about its enormous inclusion in the curriculum? Also, I can't find it published, but doesn't anyone know the average Step 1 and 2 scores?

Last edited:
Any students here want to quickly touch on PBL and how they've felt about its enormous inclusion in the curriculum? Also, I can't find it published, but doesn't anyone know the average Step 1 and 2 scores?

Hey! First year here. PBL is a big focus on the preclinical years, usually about 6 hours a week (3 two-hour blocks). The format of it actually evolves quite a bit over the course of the first two years, which stops it from getting too repetitive. First semester PBL involves learning about a case step-by-step, and preparing 5-minute presentations each day about group-generated topics. It is pretty fun, and a great way to get to know everyone in your class since they mix up the groups everyu ~6 weeks. After the first semester, PBL changes and becomes more discussion based, where there are no daily presentations, but every group member is required to learn about all the topics. I prefer this format now that I am in the second half of the 1st year, but I did learn a lot making presentations in the first part. As school goes on, PBL becomes more discussion based with less faculty involvement/oversight. The PBL material goes along with lecture, but often expands on slightly different subjects. To be honest, I probably have a more solid understanding of any topic covered in PBL than I do from lecture, and it is especially helpful in remembering how diseases present. The presentations can be a bit of a hassle at first, but you soon learn a good outline, and they only last one semester. I prefer PBL to lecture overall, though PBL is mandatory.

As far as Step 1, I really do not know averages. I do not believe they are published. I know the administration says we are consistently "Above The National Average," but I think I heard that at every medical school. From what I have heard/seen, the Step preparation is pretty good through the courses themselves, and everyone gets 6 weeks of dedicated study time for step 1.

Feel free to PM me if anyone has any more questions. I really love this school and I am very glad I chose to come here over some more traditional schools. I cannot express how great the small class size and focused faculty are.

Finally, I will say that we expect quite a bit of movement from the waitlist this next week after the deadline for multiple acceptances. I know a couple people in my class that were accepted in June, so don't give up hope. I obviously don't have numbers, but I would say we get a good bit of movement in May & June.

Thanks! That's exactly what I was hoping to read.

Just accepted from the waitlist here via phone call, after interviewing on their very first interview day back in September. Not sure if I will be attending, but hopefully others will see movement soon, as well.

Just accepted from the waitlist here via phone call, after interviewing on their very first interview day back in September. Not sure if I will be attending, but hopefully others will see movement soon, as well.

were you invited to second look?

No, but I never emailed them to accept my spot on the waitlist, so I don't know if that made a difference.
Are you in state or out of state? And what are your stats, if you don't mind me asking?

Oh man, really hoping to hear something from here. Good to know.

Are you in state or out of state? And what are your stats, if you don't mind me asking?
In state. Stats are all over the place: Low UG GPA, but from a top 10. High SMP GPA. MCAT was 95th percentile. No research experience but strong leadership experience. Also first generation in college.

When is a the seat deposit due for accepted students?

When is a the seat deposit due for accepted students?
Hey I noticed in an FIU thread that you denied FIU but you seem to be interested in FAU. Is there a reason for that? Just curious because I am in a similar predicament.

Hey I noticed in an FIU thread that you denied FIU but you seem to be interested in FAU. Is there a reason for that? Just curious because I am in a similar predicament.

hey BlobbyBoy92,

this decision was solely on personal preference. both schools seemed equivalent but I like FAUs location, campus, class size, and COA better than FIUs. I don't think you can go wrong with either school, FAU is just a better fit for me.

I have the exact same choice right now. It's difficult, because the schools are opposite in so many different ways, and it makes it hard to compare. It seems like the first two years at FAU would probably be better, because of smaller class sizes and more group work. However, I've heard some really good things about the hospitals that are affiliated with FIU (especially Baptist and MCH/Nicklaus), so I think I'd probably like years 3 and 4 better at FIU.

Are there any current students on here who could speak to FAU's affiliated hospitals?

I have the exact same choice right now. It's difficult, because the schools are opposite in so many different ways, and it makes it hard to compare. It seems like the first two years at FAU would probably be better, because of smaller class sizes and more group work. However, I've heard some really good things about the hospitals that are affiliated with FIU (especially Baptist and MCH/Nicklaus), so I think I'd probably like years 3 and 4 better at FIU.

Are there any current students on here who could speak to FAU's affiliated hospitals?
It is after year 4 when FAU is the best. Their matching is unmatched!!!

Does the 2020 class have a FB group?

Thanks!

How much of the class is accepted off of the alternate list? When should we expect more alternate list movement?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Any recent acceptances. The schools that I'm WL'ed at are dead silent.

Any recent acceptances. The schools that I'm WL'ed at are dead silent.

About as DEAD silent as this post! There has been no help/advice from anyone here lately. WL'ed at FAUCOM and I haven't heard a thing. A person that I know on the admissions committee, however, said that they haven't had their "wrap up" meeting yet. Idk what that means. Maybe that's why I haven't seen any movement. Maybe they have to vote on people first.

About as DEAD silent as this post! There has been no help/advice from anyone here lately. WL'ed at FAUCOM and I haven't heard a thing. A person that I know on the admissions committee, however, said that they haven't had their "wrap up" meeting yet. Idk what that means. Maybe that's why I haven't seen any movement. Maybe they have to vote on people first.

Hmmm... That's interesting. You would think their "wrap up" meeting would've been closer to traffic day. Who knows??? This process makes no sense lol. Just hoping to hear some good news soon because they apparently extend a good amount of WL acceptances normally.

I know right?! Seems like EVERY SCHOOL is ignoring the April 30th multiple acceptance deadline date. Anywho...I hope you hear that you're accepted soon!

A classmate from my SMP was recently accepted off the list. Not sure of his stats or when he interviewed
Great that he got in. However it's a blow for me. Thank you for your response. I hope there is more movement soon, and that I'm in it!

Does the 2020 class have a FB group?

Thanks!

Yes! The 2020 group is up. If you are accepted and would like to join, send me a message.

Also, in terms of the alternate list, I know there is still movement. A couple people were accepted this week, and more are coming. Everything takes time and we expect movement all the way through June and into July. I know it isn't what everyone wants to hear, but people do get in in July. If you are passionate about FAU, I would make sure you send update/interest letters from time to time. It can't really hurt.

Sorry if the FAU students have been dead on this forum, it's our finals week. If anyone has questions, please feel free to message me.

Seems to be what he indicated on Facebook.... Happy for him, but it's also one less spot/chance for me :unsure:
Good for him. Happy to have confirmed evidence of WL movement. Hopefully there is more to come!

Hello everyone. I just received the acceptance call! At first Monica asked me about interest for the waiting list, and when I expressed my intent to matriculate, she gave me the offer of acceptance right there. I feel so happy right now! I will definitely be matriculating to FAU.

She did mention they are definitely making moving on the alternate list, and my hope is that for those of you whom FAU is your first choice, that you are accepted.

Thank you everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
Hello everyone. I just received the acceptance call! At first Monica asked me about interest for the waiting list, and when I expressed my intent to matriculate, she gave me the offer of acceptance right there. I feel so happy right now! I will definitely be matriculating to FAU.

She did mention they are definitely making moving on the alternate list, and my hope is that for those of you whom FAU is your first choice, that you are accepted.

Thank you everyone!
Same thing happened to me today!! I will also be matriculating to FAU as well!! Wish you all well!!

Edit: For stats if anyone is interested (I know I usually frantically looked for the stats of those who were accepted as well) : In state, 32+ MCAT, 3.9+ GPA, interviewed around October/Nov if memory serves.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users