2015-2016 Duke University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ironically, now I'm too scared to check the mail.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Checked the mail. Two other schools sent me good news but still nothing from Duke.

waitlist email received this morning around ~10am

Officially wait listed - received the email this morning. Oh well! A huge congrats to all those accepted!!

Has anyone received a rejection email? I'm assuming that if I didn't get an acceptance call and didn't receive a waitlist email then the hammer is coming.... But why not send waitlist and rejection emails at the same time???

What is this game that they're playing?

Members don't see this ad :)
damn. i guess i should hop on the rejection train

WL today as well. I'm just glad to finally know my status. Congrats to those accepted and good luck to those still waiting!

Duke is training the non-admitted students better. They are learning patience and process of elimination.

Well, since I haven't received an acceptance call or waitlist email, I'm going to assume I was rejected. Bummer. :(

Reactions: 3 users
Nothing here... Really a rejection after all this...?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

WL this morning. I'll take whatever I can.

Good luck to those still in limbo. I'm a reapplicant who interviewed at Duke last year and was part of the limbo group that didn't hear back for a couple weeks, even after acceptance, WL, and rejection decisions came out. Hopefully that doesn't happen again this year. That was seriously the most stressful and depressing part of my application cycle. Anyways, I'm rooting for y'all who are still in limbo to hear back in a timely manner.

Reactions: 1 user
Huh. I guess this means I'm rejected. I thought I would be disappointed, but I just feel relieved! This is so bizarre. I can finally move on and order merch/look for apartments at the school I am going to.

Good luck to everyone on the WL!

Anyone in PCLT get a WL email? Please say yes so I can just move on lol.

I will never give up

So no news by now = rejection?
Well, the logic is that they called everyone accepted and emailed everyone who was waitlisted this morning. Considering how they forgot to contact me for my PCLT phone interview (I was only contacted after I followed up by email), I don't have too much confidence in what you would logically expect them to do.

Well, the logic is that they called everyone accepted and emailed everyone who was waitlisted this morning. Considering how they forgot to contact me for my PCLT phone interview (I was only contacted after I followed up by email), I don't have too much confidence in what you would logically expect them to do.
I applied to PCLT and got the WL this morning.

Same thing happened to me with my PCLT interview....I should've given up all hope back then

Does anybody know how many people are on the wait list and how far down it they usually go? Impossible to know for sure I realize, but anyone have any inside scoop?

Is there anyone else waiting for their rejection that felt really good about the MMI? I seriously studied so hard for that interview and walked away feeling like I beasted it. I'm just trying to figure out what could have possibly gone so wrong that I wasn't even offered a WL spot...

Reactions: 2 users
Is there anyone else waiting for their rejection that felt really good about the MMI? I seriously studied so hard for that interview and walked away feeling like I beasted it. I'm just trying to figure out what could have possibly gone so wrong that I wasn't even offered a WL spot...

you're not alone. walked away feeling like I earned myself an acceptance

I felt exactly the same way... Not sure what to think after last years debacle though...

Duke does a lot of screening after the interview. They don't even touch your LoRs until post-interview, as an example. The numbers on their website say that of 2500-3000 people who complete the secondary, they invite nearly a third to interview. I believe IIs are based almost entirely on the secondary essays, from what I heard on my interview and what's on the website. That's why even though I felt that I nailed the interview, I wasn't feeling great about my chances as a 3.3 sGPA ORM traditional applicant. There is simply too much competition.

It does kinda suck spending all that money to fly out to Durham, which isn't exactly a super accessible city, when they've only read half your application though.

Duke does a lot of screening after the interview. They don't even touch your LoRs until post-interview, as an example. The numbers on their website say that of 2500-3000 people who complete the secondary, they invite nearly a third to interview. I believe IIs are based almost entirely on the secondary essays, from what I heard on my interview and what's on the website. That's why even though I felt that I nailed the interview, I wasn't feeling great about my chances as a 3.3 sGPA ORM traditional applicant. There is simply too much competition.

It does kinda suck spending all that money to fly out to Durham, which isn't exactly a super accessible city, when they've only read half your application though.
I still wonder what was wrong with my application. I have an acceptance, so my LORs cannot have been that bad. I think I did OK on the MMIs, and if my essays were good enough to land me an II, they cannot have been atrocious, either. On my interview day, Dr Armstrong said, "We hope to find people capable of brilliance, and all of you are here because we saw glimpses of that in your applications and your essays." Oh, well. As I wait for my rejection to arrive, I'm thankful that I at least have one acceptance. That's one acceptance more than the last time I tried applying to medical school nine years ago.

Are you sure this is the case? I had a very personalized phone call inviting me to interview based on my application. I am an ORM, but I did have a 4.0 cGPA and plenty of research

Are you sure this is the case? I had a very personalized phone call inviting me to interview based on my application. I am an ORM, but I did have a 4.0 cGPA and plenty of research

You got an interview invite by phone? I didn't know that happened. I got a personalized email encouraging me to complete the secondary after I had sat on it for almost three weeks.

You got an interview invite by phone? I didn't know that happened. I got a personalized email encouraging me to complete the secondary after I had sat on it for almost three weeks.

I can confirm that they give out interview invitations via phone. I got a phone call from them 2 weeks after I turned in my secondary, stating that I was passionate in my essays and they wanted to get to know me more at an interview. I felt good after the interview and was in love with this school. Unfortunately it didn't work out and I'm waiting for my rejection as well.

I can confirm that they give out interview invitations via phone. I got a phone call from them 2 weeks after I turned in my secondary, stating that I was passionate in my essays and they wanted to get to know me more at an interview. I felt good after the interview and was in love with this school. Unfortunately it didn't work out and I'm waiting for my rejection as well.
Boy kind of ironic... Tough break

Boy kind of ironic... Tough break

Lol right. Have to laugh to keep from crying. It just wasn't meant to be I guess. I'm sure I will be ok and end up where I am suppose to be. I am just licking my wounds right now and waiting for this rejection to come in lol.

I'm so sorry to hear how everything is playing out, everyone. :( I wish Duke made the decision process a bit more streamlined (as stated on the website). I honestly wonder if the adcom actually knows what's written on their portal...

For those accepted, I received my letter today! I live in SoCal, so you all should be receiving yours soon!

For those accepted, I'm away from campus for spring break so I won't be able to get to my acceptance letter/packet for another week and a half. Could one of you wonderful human beings PM me with the specifics of what it states? When do we need to send in a deposit (if necessary)? Was anyone accepted to just the MD program that applied PCLT? Thanks!

For those accepted, I'm away from campus for spring break so I won't be able to get to my acceptance letter/packet for another week and a half. Could one of you wonderful human beings PM me with the specifics of what it states? When do we need to send in a deposit (if necessary)? Was anyone accepted to just the MD program that applied PCLT? Thanks!

4 pages:

1-2. Congratulations on your acceptance.
  • Official transcript needed by June 30, 2016.
  • Acknowledgement form (Statement of intent) due within 21 days (can be emailed)
  • $100 deposit due May 2. Can be sent early and if you decide to decline the offer before May 2nd they will destroy the check.
  • Mandatory orientation starts on August 1st.

3. "Securing your place". Same as page one (+ Health info) but with more details

4. "statement of intent" form.

:)

Last edited:
For those attending second look weekend, do you know if Duke will pay for flight and lodging? I wasnt able to discern that information from their email.

For those attending second look weekend, do you know if Duke will pay for flight and lodging? I wasnt able to discern that information from their email.

I didn't get the impression they would. But they do offer to set you up with hosting when you fill out the registration.

Does anybody know any stats about the WL (eg. how many people are on it, how many people usually come off it, the percentage of people who get off of it, or the percentage of the first year class that comes off of it)?

Does anyone know if/when decisions will be updated on the Secondary Portal? Like @Palindr0me, I am currently on Spring Break and won't have accessed to my mailbox?

How many of you that have been accepted did NOT receive phone calls? Just weighing out my chances here.

Does anyone know if/when decisions will be updated on the Secondary Portal? Like @Palindr0me, I am currently on Spring Break and won't have accessed to my mailbox?

How many of you that have been accepted did NOT receive phone calls? Just weighing out my chances here.
Pretty sure no one at this point. With SLW and WL emails already having gone out and letters arriving Friday/yesterday, we're assuming that no communication = reject