2015-2016 Duke University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dang, it's sorta crazy how they go from trying to woo us so much at the interview to just completely not giving a **** about us anymore once we're not accepted. I guess it makes sense though- what incentive do they have now to care about making us happy?

Argh, I really don't want to be this salty. I'm going to a great school next year, but I can't help but be a leetle disappointed!

Reactions: 1 users
And despite all this I'd probably still sit on their waitlist till the bitter end :D

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Dang, it's sorta crazy how they go from trying to woo us so much at the interview to just completely not giving a **** about us anymore once we're not accepted. I guess it makes sense though- what incentive do they have now to care about making us happy?

Argh, I really don't want to be this salty. I'm going to a great school next year, but I can't help but be a leetle disappointed!
I'm gonna be reeeaaalll salty if I have to wait until next week to find out about WL vs rejection. I JUSS WANNA KNOWW:angelic:

Reactions: 2 users
They just released emails about second look weekend for accepted students and opened the facebook group.

so this means for sure all accepted students have been notified? I read last year some students didn't get a phone call.

Well Google I tried to go to Duke but they shot me down ...

Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 11.11.47 AM.png

Reactions: 5 users
Not trying to give everyone (including myself) any false hope, but I have heard from a reliable source that there is a chance for some people to get notified by email or snail mail. Not necessarily all acceptance notifications are made over the phone.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Not trying to give everyone (including myself) any false hope, but I have heard from a reliable source that there is a chance for some people to get notified by email or snail mail. Not necessarily all acceptance notifications are made over the phone.

Yeah, I no longer expect the truth from Duke or from anyone in this thread. Thankfully, no other medical school I applied to has such a shoddy admissions process.

Why would they do this though?

Well, I'd think that they'd at least get that second look email, so they would know by now.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I'd think that they'd at least get that second look email, so they would know by now.

Yeah I think last year some people who were in limbo got a second look email and that's how they found out they were accepted.

Quit playing with me Duke, we already broke up

Can any other accepted people verify that they have received second look emails?

At this rate.

People that didn't get an acceptance phone call (but were accepted) will probably have 2 rough days.

They already think they aren't accepted. Then tomorrow/wed. when the waitlists comes out, they won't get an email, so they'll think they're rejected.

Then when the rejection emails come out, they won't get those and think they're rejected or just totally forgotten and still be unsure.

Then they'll randomly check their mail and get an acceptance package.

That's rough man, haha.

EDIT: Has anyone tried calling to inquire about their application status?

Last edited by a moderator:
I really hate to say this, but I think this admission game won't end for at least another week or so. So far, everything happened just like last year. I wouldn't be surprised if some of us get acceptance packages or phone calls next week or even few days before second look weekend!

I just called their admissions office, they said they would be emailing out waitlists and rejections today.

I really hate to say this, but I think this admission game won't end for at least another week or so. So far, everything happened just like last year. I wouldn't be surprised if some of us get acceptance packages or phone calls next week or even few days before second look weekend!

damn. i hope i don't get an email today then. My mmi interview guy station guy was a nice old gentleman, so I'm praying he doesn't call anyone and the snail mail acceptance comes in. I'm that desperate

damn. i hope i don't get an email today then. My mmi interview guy station guy was a nice old gentleman, so I'm praying he doesn't call anyone and the snail mail acceptance comes in. I'm that desperate
This is literally me. I'll forgive everything Duke, just take me back pleeeeease!! :(

I doubt that'll happen considering 2nd look emails went out today, and if you didn't get one, you're probably not accepted.

Last year was weird because of power outages and snow days, I think. This year, they're just a little slower with getting everything out.

I doubt that'll happen considering 2nd look emails went out today, and if you didn't get one, you're probably not accepted.

Last year was weird because of power outages and snow days, I think. This year, they're just a little slower with getting everything out.
Away with your brutal realism!

I just called their admissions office, they said they would be emailing out waitlists and rejections today.
So it's kind of like what HR departments do to reduce the likelihood of violence in the workplace.... If you gotta fire 'em, do it super late on a friday afternoon to give them the weekend to cool off.

Well, if that's the case, I think Duke is grossly underestimating how long all us WL/rejected applicants will be bitter about how this went down.

Unless any one of us gets an acceptance, then we'll literally forget it ever happened.....

if someone gets an email, please god let us tortured souls know

I swear I got 10 emails from Best Buy today :bang:

I swear I got 10 emails from Best Buy today :bang:
At this point, I'd probably accept an offer to attend the Best Buy School of Medicine. Geek Squad, class of 2020 baby!!!

At this point, I'd probably accept an offer to attend the Best Buy School of Medicine. Geek Squad, class of 2020 baby!!!

the key was to set up an email address solely for med school admissions. only have push notifications on that. prevented 10x the mini heart attacks i otherwise would have had. Let's gooooo BBSOM

I can't imagine it would take much time or manpower to send out automated WL or rejection emails...This is pretty annoying.

Reactions: 4 users
just got an email....from tulane about their scam master's of biomedical sciences program. end the pain duke, end the pain.

Reactions: 5 users
Hahahaha me too! ... After they rejected me a week after I submitted my app
just got an email....from tulane about their scam master's of biomedical sciences program. end the pain duke, end the pain.

Their office closes in 12 minutes. When is this email coming out?! I just want to know and be done.

This situation reminds me of the good old series "LOST", you wonder what's going on. Maybe we are all dead?

We are now entering the Twilight Zone...

im guessing that big packet will be acceptance, small letter rejection/waitlist?

Edit: whenever the hell it comes in the mail

Or maybe to mess with us even more they'll switch those sizes.

May the postman deliver us all to the promise land this weekend

If duke sent out ~120% offers I don't think there will be much movement on the WL

If Bernie Sanders is no longer idealistic we are really screwed

Reactions: 4 users
FYI - acceptance letter received in the mail today (small envelope) and I'm not in the immediate vicinity of Durham, so I imagine others will be getting mail very soon.

FYI - acceptance letter received in the mail today (small envelope) and I'm not in the immediate vicinity of Durham, so I imagine others will be getting mail very soon.
East coast? West coast?

Has anyone who did not receive a phone call gotten a second look email?

East coast? West coast?

500+ miles away.

Also, no mention of a financial award. So I can't comment on whether or not that will be offered with admission.

500+ miles away.

Also, no mention of a financial award. So I can't comment on whether or not that will be offered with admission.
I honestly could not care less about scholarship money at this point :D. I guess it's going to be a loooong wait for us West coasters...

Thanks for the info.

From the West coast and received my official letter today!!!!!