2015-2016 Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowpeach

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone applying this year to Duke-NUS?

Members don't see this ad.

I see their spam emails are working! Have they even published GPA and MCAT averages? How are people supposed to know where they stand?

Reactions: 1 user
I see their spam emails are working! Have they even published GPA and MCAT averages? How are people supposed to know where they stand?

Don't really understand what you mean by "spam emails"? You mean emails from Duke-NUS? And nope there's no average GPA or MCAT scores. I think that's good in a way? Lessens the emphasis on academics and more on applicants' whole package.

I will be applying this year! First time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't really understand what you mean by "spam emails"? You mean emails from Duke-NUS? And nope there's no average GPA or MCAT scores. I think that's good in a way? Lessens the emphasis on academics and more on applicants' whole package.

I will be applying this year! First time.
I say spam because I get them but never signed up for any such thing. You think they'd want people to know whether they were a good shot with their app or what thoigh! Like a 10-90 range like MSAR has.

No worries for you because you'll be competitive everywhere :)

I say spam because I get them but never signed up for any such thing. You think they'd want people to know whether they were a good shot with their app or what thoigh! Like a 10-90 range like MSAR has.
No worries for you because you'll be competitive everywhere :)

Hopefully it's something more than...

.... just a dream :cool:

Reactions: 2 users
I'm applying this year as well, still struggling with my MCAT. Hope to get a higher score on August.

I used to save all my podiatry school spam just in case med school decided to hate me . . .

Oh I see. Maybe you've been handpicked to try out for the school! Yeah that's true......

I got a bunch of emails from Duke-NUS over the past year too. It became a running joke between my friends and I.

(Not implying it's a bad program - I know next to nothing about it. We just joked about how aggressive they were about emailing people)

I got a bunch of emails from Duke-NUS over the past year too. It became a running joke between my friends and I.

(Not implying it's a bad program - I know next to nothing about it. We just joked about how aggressive they were about emailing people)
I feel like the lack of median MCAT and GPA cannot possibly be a good sign. I'd say the advertising seems desperate too but I know some great schools like Vandy send spam too

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who have already submitted, have you heard back from the school yet?

For those of you who have already submitted, have you heard back from the school yet?

Hey I've submitted but still waiting for 1 more recommendation letter to get submitted so I guess my app isn't considered complete yet. Hopefully will be done by end of this week. What about the rest of you?

Completed in June, but haven't heard back anything yet. Hopefully soon!

My application has just been rendered complete. The waiting begins :)

What, you mean Duke NUS in general? What makes it such a bad idea?

Based on what I read, the duke affiliation means nothing. The school lacks LCME accreditation and you still apply for residency as an IMG. Am I missing something?

I don't know anything about this program, but when I see Duke - Singapore I immediately think politics. Singapore has done well in recent decades but there is talk about a demographic collapse ensuing due to a really high elderly population and an extremely low birth rate that is in great part attributed to women not combining motherhood and career. On a first glance this looks like an attempt to remedy that problem.

Based on what I read, the duke affiliation means nothing. The school lacks LCME accreditation and you still apply for residency as an IMG. Am I missing something?
Fair point. But i have a hard time believing duke would allow their name be lent to a bad program...what are they getting out of it?

Fair point. But i have a hard time believing duke would allow their name be lent to a bad program...what are they getting out of it?
Haha money of course. And marketing. And maybe research funding.

I'm sure the program itself is fine for whatever standards they have in Singapore. I feel like people are assuming the Duke affiliation makes them a U.S. graduate somehow. I actually recall seeing that they aren't interested in matriculating students who don't intend to practice in Singapore. I'm also on a bunch of Dilaudid right now though so I might be making that up.

hi all, I am trying to get in this year too. anyone has been invited for applicant days?

good luck everyone! :)

hi all, I am trying to get in this year too. anyone has been invited for applicant days?

good luck everyone! :)

Haven't got one yet. But i think it is bound to be soon since the first applicant day is on September 17 in Singapore!

Haven't got one yet. But i think it is bound to be soon since the first applicant day is on September 17 in Singapore!

I see! My stats is not very fantastic and I am not sure if I would be invited. So it meant chances are still open :) Good luck snowpeach!

Yep they said they will inform 1-2 weeks in advance so hopefully the invites go out within the next couple of weeks :) Exciting!

Hey snowpeach! How did you know about the exact date of the applicant day? What are the other dates? :)

I'm also applying but still waiting for my MCAT result plus the WES ICAP thing.

Hey snowpeach! How did you know about the exact date of the applicant day? What are the other dates? :)

Hello! It's on the Admissions website under "How to Apply --> 4. Applicant Day". There is a PDF file of the dates :)

As bearwhiz said below, there is a pdf file of the list of dates for applicant day. :)

I see! My stats is not very fantastic and I am not sure if I would be invited. So it meant chances are still open :) Good luck snowpeach!
My stats are ok, not the best for sure, so we are on the same boat. :) All the best to you!

My stats are ok too. Good luck to all :)

Last edited:
This program is a complete joke. For a whopping 10% tuition reduction they want to force you to practice in Singapore in undeserved areas for 5 years. What is this?

disclaimer: I'm going off of my memory when I was first interested in this program. If it has changed please ignore me!

Hmm I don't think they've started sending out the invites. I personally know some pretty strong candidates and they haven't heard anything either. We still have until Thursday to make it one week before 17th September so no worries!

This program is a complete joke. For a whopping 10% tuition reduction they want to force you to practice in Singapore in undeserved areas for 5 years. What is this?

disclaimer: I'm going off of my memory when I was first interested in this program. If it has changed please ignore me!
I don't think this is a program aimed at people with good US MD alternatives....

I don't think this is a program aimed at people with good US MD alternatives....
Or DO alternatives for that matter. It makes no sense. I remember me and my dad laughing about it when I introduced him to it. The numbers are absolutely nuts.

It's intended for people who want to practice in Singapore, not the U.S. I believe they use our lecture videos.

Ugh I had a close friend who chose to go to Duke-NUS despite my warnings. His stats were cGPA 3.6 sGPA 3.5 with an MCAT of 32. He wants to practice in the US...

Haven't heard back yet either. But I am in the US, so if the school invite me for Applicant Day, it will be after you all get invited. Keep me posted on your invites and applicant day experiences. :)

Oh yes the applicant days in the US start in November. Will keep you posted! :)

I got poor MCAT score on 8/6 test.... But I'll still apply for it.