2015-2016 Columbia University College of P&S Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This thread and the waitlist support thread seems to indicate there was none.

gyngyn just reported some movement that probably reflects any offers made yesterday...? le sigh

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
cmon columbia aksjdfhajklfhdjklasfhjksh

went there for undergrad, dying to go back. TAKE ME BACK

Reactions: 1 user
What do we say to the god of waitlist?

EPsp52b.png

Does anybody know if there was movement this week? Some conflicting reports from the WL support group.

How long are you guys going to wait before getting housing at other schools? Also, have we heard anything about high or low priority waitlists this year like it seems they did last year?

I was wondering if current students could give their thoughts on living in Harlem vs. Morningside heights vs. Upper West Side? Thanks!

Most likely. However it seems that waitlist movement has slowed down a bit at top tier schools. It may be that students who get in off lower tier school waitlists with better finaid packages/scholarships may turn down acceptances at top tier schools and clear up some space. Columbia admissions rep has cofirmed that there is usually movement up until orientation.

I was wondering if current students could give their thoughts on living in Harlem vs. Morningside heights vs. Upper West Side? Thanks!
My thought:
1. Bard is great.
2. The Subway, while great, is a hassle to take every day.
3. The further away you live, the earlier you have to wake up/the more you have to plan your life around commuting. If you're living in a 3 block radius of the hospital, you can roll out of bed and be in lecture 3 minutes later.
4. I think in terms of general living costs: UWS > Morningside > Harlem ~ WaHi. For whatever that's worth.
5. Seriously, I think living nearby is such a relief. Unless you're really opposed to WaHi/Bard (and if you are, you should take a sec and think about why you're so opposed..), I'd highly highly recommend living in the area. Backup plan would be Hamilton Heights (~20 blocks south, closer than Morningside and UWS and west of Harlem). Backup backup plan would be a condo in West Village cause at that point ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

When can we start making requests for housing? Is that something that we should have done already? :ninja:

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you recommend having an iPad, a laptop or both for first year?

When can we start making requests for housing? Is that something that we should have done already? :ninja:

I think it's when you submit your housing application form and possibly some sort of deposit. Not entirely sure.

Would you recommend having an iPad, a laptop or both for first year?

Definitely laptop. Ipad is hit or miss - not necessary at all, but can be marginally helpful

I called around half an hour ago and they said that they're still working to fill the class but it's hard to say when movement will be.

Reactions: 1 users
I called around half an hour ago and they said that they're still working to fill the class but it's hard to say when movement will be.

as much as i want to hang onto hope a big part of me feels that this is a canned response :/

Just got an email from Dean Nicholas saying that the class is currently full and in the unlikely event of a late withdrawal, they'll continue to consider my candidacy. I think I'm calling it.

same. idk what to think. i assume the chance of getting in is close to 0 at this point. move on?

same. It's time to move on. Good luck everyone! Things happen for a reason.

This is addressed more toward existing P&S members but has anyone heard of/been accepted to P&S from mid-June to mid-August?

Question for current students: What is your schedule first year like - like what does your typical week look like (lecture/lab hours etc)?
(Sorry if this was already answered)
Thanks!!

Question for current students: What is your schedule first year like - like what does your typical week look like (lecture/lab hours etc)?
(Sorry if this was already answered)
Thanks!!

First semester you have so much free time. Class is usually 8-12 and then 1-2 with anatomy lab once a week from 2 until whenever you're done. That's about it. Also class is optional.

Second semester is ramps up with class from 9-12 and then generally 1-2 or 1-5 depending on the day.

I'm not a current student at P&S yet, but I did my masters for a year at CUMC (lived at Georgian residence on 168th) and then worked on campus for a year (lived in Morningside heights).

From my apt in morningside, I have an average door-to-door time of 20-25 minutes (11 minute subway ride from 116th stop). So the commute time is minimal, and it's not a cramped morning ride like the downtown trains.

I've gotta say, my QOL is definitely better in morningside- the proximity of restaurant options, the accessibility to good grocery stores, closer to the rest of Manhattan, the overall cleanliness, feeling comfortable walking alone at night- esp if you're a girl (compared to the bombardment one gets outside the homeless shelter on 168th).

That said, it is much much cheaper to live in wahi. Most expensive to live in UWS or morningside. Harlem is somewhere in between. I also know people with super nice apartments, equipped with dishwasher and W/D in-unit, in the 140s and upper 130s for just as cheap as wahi.

In the end it comes down to what's most important to you- when I was an MS student and didn't know the area or all of my options, being right next to school was best case scenario, and I don't regret it one bit. But with my experiences, the improved QOL in Morningside beats convenience of wahi for me.

since this cycle is finally done, congrats to everyone :)

I've been following these threads since @WedgeDawg applied :p

What is the latest anybody has heard for someone getting pulled off the waitlist?

(Sorry, tried to erase this and apparently don't know how to use SDN)

Last edited:
(Sorry, tried to erase this and apparently don't know how to use SDN)

Last edited:
You will be 100% fine if you don't take PChem, don't worry. As long as your scores in Orgo/Biochem are strong, you'll have nothing to worry about.

Their requirements say nothing about taking advanced classes if you use AP credit for English, so I'm guessing that means AP is okay for that? @WedgeDawg

Anyone willing to talk to me about what they did to get in off the waitlist?

Can someone explain to me why the secondary application would ask us to re state extracurricular activities? I feel like that info is in AMCAS already and I am uncomfortable repeating myself.

Can someone explain to me why the secondary application would ask us to re state extracurricular activities? I feel like that info is in AMCAS already and I am uncomfortable repeating myself.
Agreed. Maybe they want it in a succinct way, and not have to go through your whole app for something they want in a few sentences, summarized. If they want more info, they know it'll probably be on your primary.