2015-2016 Charles Drew/UCLA Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

parachichi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The prompts look the same as previous years. The app comes as an attachment in an email. You email back your app and snail mail your payment.

1. Have you completed all of the prerequisites? (Yes/No)
2. If not, list the specific prerequisite you are missing and your projected time for completion.
3. Have you experienced any uneven performance in grades and academic achievement? If so, please explain. (Response limited to 800 characters)
4. If you are currently not a full time student, please list and describe your current activities.
(Response limited to 800 characters)
5. Describe the role you play in your immediate family.
6. Describe your community and socioeconomic environment.
7. List the most significant community, public service, and leadership activities you have been involved in over the last six years. (Response limited to 800 characters) (Table with "Dates," "Activity," and "Hours/Week" columns)
8. Describe how your experience, your community, and family background impact your understanding of the underserved communities. (Response limited to 800 characters)
9. Other than healthcare access, what are some of the most important health care issues confronting underserved communities? How would you address them? (Response limited to 800 characters)
10. Please describe how your experiences and personal attributes contribute to the mission of Charles R Drew University. (Response limited to 800 characters)
11. Have you ever been convicted of a crime other than a minor traffic or parking violation? If the answer is yes, please explain. (Response limited to 800 characters)
12. Please provide any additional information which will give the Admissions Committee greater insight into you as an applicant. (Response limited to 800 characters)
13. How did you hear about our program?

Email also stated, "You are strongly advised to complete this application form and turn in as soon as possible, as we are experiencing DOUBLE the amount of primary applications." :arghh:

Best of luck to all applicants!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
do you guys think I have a chance of getting the DREW/UCLA after getting the UCLA David Geffen? is the DREW/UCLA very selective? :(

Yeah, they are independent of each other so one does not influence the other's decision. Drew has specific people they are looking for.

tell us when you were complete parachichi

I was AMCAS verified on June 4, in-state applicant.

Received the Drew secondary today! If we received AMCAS FAP, is the fee waived for this secondary?

Congrats as well! Are you IS?

Yeah, I'm in-state. LizzyM ~69.

P.S., why am I getting so many congrats for this secondary? Is it supposed to be really competitive? When I got it, I sighed to myself and thought "Not another secondary." :(

Yeah, I'm in-state. LizzyM ~69.

P.S., why am I getting so many congrats for this secondary? Is it supposed to be really competitive? When I got it, I sighed to myself and thought "Not another secondary." :(

Well they do screen and given that they pick only a very small amount of people for the program, they are probably very selective in who they give secondaries to. Think of it as....you are not rejected. So yeah, congratulations are in order.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well they do screen and given that they pick only a very small amount of people for the program, they are probably very selective in who they give secondaries to. Think of it as....you are not rejected. So yeah, congratulations are in order.

LOL thanks. I guess I wouldn't have minded getting it later, though. Didn't expect to get it until September, since that's when I thought they would be sending them out, based on last year's thread. Anyway, hopefully you get yours soon!

I just got this secondary as well! Funny because I did not get a secondary from David Geffen, yet. LizzyM ~67-68

I can't hang with these 800-character limits, UGH.

I can't hang with these 800-character limits, UGH.

Especially for this question!

• Describe how your experience, your community, and family background impact your understanding of the underserved communities.
How can we possibly write about our experience, community, and family background in 800 characters! I think I'm just going to talk about one of them, but then I will worry that I didn't answer the prompt. :(

Especially for this question!

• Describe how your experience, your community, and family background impact your understanding of the underserved communities.
How can we possibly write about our experience, community, and family background in 800 characters! I think I'm just going to talk about one of them, but then I will worry that I didn't answer the prompt. :(
Yeah I think I only talked about experiences. And question 9 is basically asking, "How are you going to save the world? 800 characters - GO!!"

Is the following question a Why Drew question in disguise?: How did you hear about our program?

Can I just say MSAR search, internet search, premedical advisor, etc? Or should I espouse how much I love the program and how it will help me accomplish my goals?

Is the following question a Why Drew question in disguise?: How did you hear about our program?

Can I just say MSAR search, internet search, premedical advisor, etc? Or should I espouse how much I love the program and how it will help me accomplish my goals?
Yeah...I went half and half "How did you hear"/"Why Drew". My response was shorter than the others, but I mentioned things that vaguely tied to their mission.

Just submitted! CDU looks like a great program! Fingers crossed. :)

I would love a secondary from here! Anyone OOS got a secondary?

Just got confirmation that my secondary application and payment are received! The email says I can expect to hear back in 4-6 weeks! Hopefully the turnaround here is quick. :)

No secondary yet. When should we start to assume we got pre screened out?

I didn't answer it. They ask so many questions already.

First II today :) by phone! I'm trembling. They interview one Saturday every month, and I was so dumbstruck that I scheduled my interview for the day after my birthday! Guess that means me and my friends will be roadtripping to LA!

Reactions: 3 users
First II today :) by phone! I'm trembling. They interview one Saturday every month, and I was so dumbstruck that I scheduled my interview for the day after my birthday! Guess that means me and my friends will be roadtripping to LA!
Congrats!!!! Wish you the best of luck, and let us know how it went!

OMG i got the call!!@@ OMG IT WAS SO UNEXPECTED. II!!!!! @@GJAGSA :oops: :oops:

Reactions: 1 users
OMG i got the call!!@@ OMG IT WAS SO UNEXPECTED. II!!!!! @@GJAGSA :oops: :oops:

Congrats! When did you submit your secondary?

II AS WELL! SO EXCITED!!! Submitted 8/11, got a call today!

Do you guys know how the interview process is like? Is it typical 1 on 1 with faculty ?

Did everyone get a confirmation email that CDU got your app?

Last edited:
yea I'm not sure either... When is your interview parachichi? Mine isn't until October.

Mine's on September 26, so I'll let you all know how it goes!

Hey all! MS1 here! If you have any questions feel free to ask and I'll answer them to the best of my abilities.

Congrats to you all for making it this far!

Hey all! MS1 here! If you have any questions feel free to ask and I'll answer them to the best of my abilities.

Congrats to you all for making it this far!
Hi! Thanks for doing this, I really appreciate it.

Could you tell me a little about your class profile? Where are people from, what their background was etc.
Also, what are your general impressions about the program?

Does anyone know the stats for applied/secondary granted/interviewed/matriculated?

Drew's stats are factored into UCLA's stats.

Last edited: