2015-2016 Albany Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
congrats to all accepted and continued good luck to those still UC.

Does anyone know how long after submitting the required 3 forms and deposit it took to receive any other information? Any information like when classes start, orientation schedule, class registration, physicals, health insurance, or really anything. I've only heard from financial aid, and I called them...

Thanks for the help!
Which 3 forms?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted today off the UC list! Will likely be withdrawing - good luck to all!

Reactions: 4 users
I was also accepted off the UC list, but will be withdrawing. Best of luck to those that are still in the running!!

Reactions: 2 users
Those who wish to withdraw please do it quickly, it will help those of us who are still in UC.

Withdrawing from the UC list. Good luck to those who are still waiting!

Hi guys. I just withdrew from the UC list, as I was just accepted to my top choice, FAU. I hope that someone gets the seat here that they were hoping for. Best wishes.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I was just accepted- I forgot I was on the list here. Will be withdrawing. Good luck everyone!

Did the people who withdrew do so via email? I emailed them to withdraw and I did not get a response and it stills says I was accepted on the portal. Then I got an email from my other school about how I'm violating traffic rules by holding multiples acceptances and need to immediately decide on a school....

Who else is UC and chomping at the bit to hear some news?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
UC and getting anxious here...doesn't seem to be much movement at all

Was accepted yesterday. Received an email. Good luck to everyone else that's waiting... Happiest day of my life.

Was accepted yesterday. Received an email. Good luck to everyone else that's waiting... Happiest day of my life.
Congratulations! It would be mine as well. For those of us still on UC and looking for a sign of where we stand, do you mind sharing stats? gpa, mcat, is/oos, and if you had significant clinical experience?

I'm on UC, stats:
3.9 GPA, 30 MCAT (bleh), IS, not a lot of shadowing but I'm an EMT

Masters degree and a lot of research experience and shadowing.

Reactions: 1 user
I JUST GOT ACCEPTED!!!

Is there an accepted students Facebook?!?

Are there any successful applicants still poking around this thread? If so, I would love to ask a quick question about one of the secondary questions.

In the “Work and Activities” section on your AMCAS application, you provided the following list of experiences. Please select the experience that you feel has been the most meaningful in influencing your desire to pursue a career in medicine, explain why, and also describe what aspect of that experience best equips you to make an impact in the medical profession. (1000 char)

It seems like we already did this exact thing on the main part of AMCAS. Did you guys choose one of the 3 you already wrote about on AMCAS, or did you choose something else? I feel like it would be wise to choose something different such that I can highlight a 4th experience, but I also think that would look strange, as either something is most meaningful or it isn't....

Are there any successful applicants still poking around this thread? If so, I would love to ask a quick question about one of the secondary questions.

In the “Work and Activities” section on your AMCAS application, you provided the following list of experiences. Please select the experience that you feel has been the most meaningful in influencing your desire to pursue a career in medicine, explain why, and also describe what aspect of that experience best equips you to make an impact in the medical profession. (1000 char)

It seems like we already did this exact thing on the main part of AMCAS. Did you guys choose one of the 3 you already wrote about on AMCAS, or did you choose something else? I feel like it would be wise to choose something different such that I can highlight a 4th experience, but I also think that would look strange, as either something is most meaningful or it isn't....

I chose one of my 3 most valuable from AMCAS. Sometimes you will have to repeat things from your primaries in your secondaries. It gives you a chance to basically get extra space to explain the single most valuable. Try to like explain it from a different angle.

I JUST GOT ACCEPTED!!!

Is there an accepted students Facebook?!?

Congrats!! Are you looking for accomodation in Albany? I am looking for a male room-mate in a new apartment building. Please let me know

Congrats!! Are you looking for accomodation in Albany? I am looking for a male room-mate in a new apartment building. Please let me know

I'm a female and I'm looking for a 1 BR, but thank you! Look forward to being your classmate!

I am super confused/frustrated with AMC. This time last year (early May actually), applicants knew if they were on the alternate/waitlist. I emailed admissions and they said they'd ask the dean of enrollment for a timeline and then get back to me. Starting to feel like I am in UC purgatory...

I am super confused/frustrated with AMC. This time last year (early May actually), applicants knew if they were on the alternate/waitlist. I emailed admissions and they said they'd ask the dean of enrollment for a timeline and then get back to me. Starting to feel like I am in UC purgatory...

I would like to know where I stand as well, but more so on a percentage chance of acceptance or where I am in the queue.
Realistically, the name used for the list doesn't matter all that much.
If we knew how many people were on UC that would make the AL and it were a small number of students, with a fairly decent likelihood of acceptance, then I would be hoping to hear back soon about making that list. Regardless, right now we are hoping for either acceptance or that list. Then, if we make it, just hoping for students to drop and to gain acceptance.
At this point in time with the class not being settled/filled (hence us being UC and not AL), I would believe we have a greater chance of acceptance (more spots and possible dropouts) and therefore I am content with waiting.

Hopefully this rationale is comforting to some others still on UC.

I would like to know where I stand as well, but more so on a percentage chance of acceptance or where I am in the queue.
Realistically, the name used for the list doesn't matter all that much.
If we knew how many people were on UC that would make the AL and it were a small number of students, with a fairly decent likelihood of acceptance, then I would be hoping to hear back soon about making that list. Regardless, right now we are hoping for either acceptance or that list. Then, if we make it, just hoping for students to drop and to gain acceptance.
At this point in time with the class not being settled/filled (hence us being UC and not AL), I would believe we have a greater chance of acceptance (more spots and possible dropouts) and therefore I am content with waiting.

Hopefully this rationale is comforting to some others still on UC.

Thanks for this insight. I didn't think of the UC in this way. Gives me a little hope.

Reactions: 1 users
So just for those of you still waiting to maybe give you a little bit of insight...I looked at the group member list of the accepted students Facebook, and about 16 people were added to the group within the last week. Now, by no means does it guarantee we were all accepted within the last week, but from the other dates of people being added it seems like it might give some indication that the UC list is definitely still moving at a reasonable pace, from what I can tell.

I don't know if this helps anyone, but I thought I'd share because I know how much the waiting game sucks. Best of luck!

Did the enrollment dean respond with a timeline or any helpful information for the UC list?

Did the enrollment dean respond with a timeline or any helpful information for the UC list?

Nope! I will probably call the office sometime this week and report back.

Reactions: 1 users
Do we just assume we are all rejected?? (Those that are still waiting) Has anyone ever gotten in this late?

Anyone who applied know if they accept AP credits? I wasn't able to find any info anywhere except an old PDF from 2010 someone compiled saying they do.

Ju

Just wondering, how do you know they accepted your AP credit? I don't remember entering it anywhere.

I added mine on the primary application "Coursework" section. I think it was in my first quarter as a freshman.

Ju

Just wondering, how do you know they accepted your AP credit? I don't remember entering it anywhere.

Yeah mine I added on the primary app. Also they definitely took it because I was accepted haha

anyone else try to register to be on the alternate only to have the portal say the deadline has passed....?

anyone else try to register to be on the alternate only to have the portal say the deadline has passed....?

This is happening to me too, I'm gonna call tomorrow if it's still not working

Late post but was accepted off UC on 6.10.16

any idea on how many people have gotten accepted off the alternate list in past years??

MSAR says last year 300 people reported being waitListed and 97 reported being taken off the waitlist. No idea how many came off UC vs. alternate, though.

Rejected this AM. Disappointed by this process tbh but onwards and upwards I suppose.

Rejected this AM. Disappointed by this process tbh but onwards and upwards I suppose.

That's similar to the way I am looking at it as well.

For those of us on the alternate list and for those unfortunately cut from the UC list, this year has been a long process that teaches patience as well as pushes us to learn more about ourselves. I believe that all of us are better off having gone through it, and that we have a better chance for reapplication next year if we do not get in this time around.

Anyone have any ideas at why the waitlist came out soooooo much later this year than last year??

Anyone have any ideas at why the waitlist came out soooooo much later this year than last year??

I'm guessing because they were still filling spots in their class. My guess is that they want their class to stay static for a certain period of time and then once they hit that point they move from UC to waitlist.