2014-2015 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Was accepted earlier today at Chicago campus as well! Super excited and best of luck to everyone else

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
So I guess there is a waitlist before the waitlist after all.

UIC...eh, whatever. lol.

I was placed in the 1st quartile on the waitlist a few weeks ago when everyone was though, so it appears the waitlist is moving

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I apologize if this question has already been asked long ago, but does UIC accept letters of any sort from people on the waitlist? I feel like I read somewhere that UIC does not accept any extra letters or correspondence, but it did not say anywhere on my waitlist letter that they would not accept them. I just feel weird sitting by the phone and hoping, and I would rather do something proactive to tell UIC how hopelessly in love I am with their school!

If I am on the waitlist, how long should I wait before resubmitting my AMCAS for next year's cycle?

Hey guys. I got in off the first quartile of the waitlist yesterday. They asked me what campus I wanted, and I said Chicago, which they said they could do. But they gave me until tomorrow at noon to decide, and after talking it over with my partner last night (who is having a horrible time finding a job near the acceptance I'm already holding, so I wanted to discuss the option), I'm declining the spot today. This was the hardest call I've had to make so far, and I'm actually feeling kind of bummed today. I feel selfish for taking the acceptance that's better for me while my partner is making years of sacrifices for my benefit. (He is the best!) But the good news for you guys is that there's still waitlist movement to be had! Good luck!

Hey guys. I got in off the first quartile of the waitlist yesterday. They asked me what campus I wanted, and I said Chicago, which they said they could do. But they gave me until tomorrow at noon to decide, and after talking it over with my partner last night (who is having a horrible time finding a job near the acceptance I'm already holding, so I wanted to discuss the option), I'm declining the spot today. This was the hardest call I've had to make so far, and I'm actually feeling kind of bummed today. I feel selfish for taking the acceptance that's better for me while my partner is making years of sacrifices for my benefit. (He is the best!) But the good news for you guys is that there's still waitlist movement to be had! Good luck!

Thank you so much for information that the waitlist is still moving. I've been worried that last week's surge was the last of it.

Also thanks for another person moving up on the list =D

I'm in a really tight spot. I'm in the 1st quartile but I'm hoping to not get accepted. I had been planning to defer this year all along, but as far as I can tell you cannot defer off of the waitlist, so if they offer me a spot I'd have to turn it down, with all the negative repercussions that would entail for my future (ie this week's lol) reapplication.

At the same time, UIC is my top choice as well as the school I am far most likely to be accepted to, as evidenced by the fact it was the only school to give me an interview this cycle. If I withdraw from the waitlist, I feel like I'd be severely damaging my chances at getting another interview/acceptance here when I reapply.

My wishful thinking would be to get accepted here and be allowed to defer. Failing that, I'd prefer to never get off the waitlist and just reapply this cycle. Apparently the list is moving quite steadily at this point, so while it may slow down as the summer advances and the dust from movements at other schools settles, I am worrying that I may get pulled since I am first quartile. For all I know I may receive a call offering an acceptance tomorrow, and I'd be screwed if they don't allow me to defer. What do you guys think I should do, withdraw from the waitlist?

If I am on the waitlist, how long should I wait before resubmitting my AMCAS for next year's cycle?

I would not wait at all! At least I'm not waiting. Submit AMCAS so you can be verified as early as possible, and best case scenario, you get called off the list and you can just withdraw your new app. Secondaries don't come out until July anyway, so you might get pulled before you have to even complete any. I just think (personally) that it is prudent to prepare for the worst case scenario, even though it seems like the list is moving and you probably have a decent shot of getting off. :)

I'm in a really tight spot. I'm in the 1st quartile but I'm hoping to not get accepted. I had been planning to defer this year all along, but as far as I can tell you cannot defer off of the waitlist, so if they offer me a spot I'd have to turn it down, with all the negative repercussions that would entail for my future (ie this week's lol) reapplication.

At the same time, UIC is my top choice as well as the school I am far most likely to be accepted to, as evidenced by the fact it was the only school to give me an interview this cycle. If I withdraw from the waitlist, I feel like I'd be severely damaging my chances at getting another interview/acceptance here when I reapply.

My wishful thinking would be to get accepted here and be allowed to defer. Failing that, I'd prefer to never get off the waitlist and just reapply this cycle. Apparently the list is moving quite steadily at this point, so while it may slow down as the summer advances and the dust from movements at other schools settles, I am worrying that I may get pulled since I am first quartile. For all I know I may receive a call offering an acceptance tomorrow, and I'd be screwed if they don't allow me to defer. What do you guys think I should do, withdraw from the waitlist?
That's hard, I'm sorry to hear you're in this spot. :( Unfortunately, if you're not able to defer and you withdraw from the waitlist, your chances at UICOM are shot for the future - unless you have a good reason as to why you're deferring, e.g.-family emergencies requiring your time.

Hi everyone! I just got an email saying my rejection letter was sent in error, and I've been invited to interview next week. Has anyone else gotten this? Not sure how likely this kind of administrative error is, so I'm trying to figure out if it's truly an error or if it's just that not enough students have matriculated...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I just got an email saying my rejection letter was sent in error, and I've been invited to interview next week. Has anyone else gotten this? Not sure how likely this kind of administrative error is, so I'm trying to figure out if it's truly an error or if it's just that not enough students have matriculated...

Wow, that's crazy. I think it probably is an error. I doubt they're getting so panicked that they're launching a whole 'nother round of interviews this late in the game. There must be well over a hundred people in the waitlist they can potentially draw on. I'm in the first quartile and I haven't heard a peep from them yet, so I'm pretty sure they're not worried about the number of warm bodies.

That's just happened to me too. So weird.......

That's just happened to me too. So weird.......

This HAS to be an error right?? I tried to call the office and they say they're not accepting calls at this time so I'm guessing they mustve had a glitch and sent it to all the rejected people?? I'm so confused...because the email seems so legitimate and even when i sign onto my application portal it shows the interview dates.....

OMG i got in contact with the office... it's real...I'm interviewing for UIC!!!! I got rejected from ALL MD schools thus far so idk where this is coming from but I'm so grateful for this opportunity!!

Reactions: 5 users
OMG i got in contact with the office... it's real...I'm interviewing for UIC!!!! I got rejected from ALL MD schools thus far so idk where this is coming from but I'm so grateful for this opportunity!!

I guess it's easy to say this now that I'm holding an acceptance but I kind of appreciate the serendipity in this whole medical school application process. Congrats!

This schools admissions process is so weird....Looks like I made the right choice in coming here :)

Are there any other students pursuing an HPSP for UIC? I'll be in Urbana this upcoming year and wondering how many others/which military branch people will be in?

With a bunch of people getting interview offers, I guess we shouldn't expect any movement in the waitlist until those interviews are concluded. My assumption is that these guys are interviewing for outright acceptances rather than a spot on the waitlist.

My intuition is leaning towards this: As seen on the forum, there has been an abnormal amount of students withdrawing from the school compared to the past few years. As a result of this, the number of acceptees actually accepting is grossly less than what the admissions committee had estimated. Because of this, they are inviting people for interviews in order to fill the spots that are still open even after the waitlist is accepted. This is something that the admissions committee could not predict, and they are now trying to fill those spots with qualified applicants who lucked out in the screening process.
On the other hand, there could have been a glitch and qualified applicants may have been wrongly rejected pre interview. I don't know how this would change the alternate list, but I assume that it would be similar to rekrul's post. I hope that isn't the case, as it would be truly unfortunate for applicants like invisibleman023. But always prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
Best of luck to everyone, and keep your heads up!

With a bunch of people getting interview offers, I guess we shouldn't expect any movement in the waitlist until those interviews are concluded. My assumption is that these guys are interviewing for outright acceptances rather than a spot on the waitlist.

My intuition is leaning towards this: As seen on the forum, there has been an abnormal amount of students withdrawing from the school compared to the past few years. As a result of this, the number of acceptees actually accepting is grossly less than what the admissions committee had estimated. Because of this, they are inviting people for interviews in order to fill the spots that are still open even after the waitlist is accepted. This is something that the admissions committee could not predict, and they are now trying to fill those spots with qualified applicants who lucked out in the screening process.
On the other hand, there could have been a glitch and qualified applicants may have been wrongly rejected pre interview. I don't know how this would change the alternate list, but I assume that it would be similar to rekrul's post. I hope that isn't the case, as it would be truly unfortunate for applicants like invisibleman023. But always prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

I agree with sublime. If they were interviewing for outright acceptances (as rekrul suggests), then they wouldn't have already drawn from the waitlist.

In addition, I don't think the 3rd or 4th quartile have been done yet. I think they're trying to fill those quartiles.

I agree with sublime. If they were interviewing for outright acceptances (as rekrul suggests), then they wouldn't have already drawn from the waitlist.

In addition, I don't think the 3rd or 4th quartile have been done yet. I think they're trying to fill those quartiles.

Do you happen to know if they've actually gotten to those quartiles before? I just kind of assumed a school like UIC never even made it past the 1st quartile of their waitlist

Do you happen to know if they've actually gotten to those quartiles before? I just kind of assumed a school like UIC never even made it past the 1st quartile of their waitlist

I've done my fair share of asking both admissions and current students, and admissions won't say and current students don't remember what quartile they were in, just that they got in in July.

Are you on the waitlist?

I would also imagine that they pay attention to diversity (gender, age, race, out of state vs in state etc.) when it comes to deciding who to pull from the waitlist and offer interviews to. Keeping the class balanced as people decline offers probably affects how the waitlist moves.

With that being said, I wonder if there are waitlists within the waitlist. For instance, if they want to fill a number of spaces with African Americans, or out-of state students then they could have a list of students meeting that criteria to pull from if necessary. So the quartiles could be a little more complicated than they're letting on.

Last edited:
I've done my fair share of aaking both admissions and current students, and admissions won't say and current students don't remember what quartile they were in, just that they got in in July.

Are you on the waitlist?
Yes I am, first quartile. I guess my expectations are pretty low, but I am still looking for signs of hope haha

I'm not sure how that would work out. There are a bunch of people in this thread (myself included) who are in the first quartile of the waitlist, and we haven't been contacted with offers of a seat at this point. Presumably, this means that UIC currently has people to fill all ~320 seats. Some of them may drop off as the summer progresses, but I don't see a reason to expect the number to be so high as to deplete the entire waitlist.

Judging by last year's thread, there are two big episodes of waitlist movement: the first one in late May and early June, and the second one in July. We are already past the first episode, and I doubt we've even gone through half of the first quartile. It seems a stretch to expect that the last episode in July will eat through the remaining 3.5 quartiles and want more for dessert, requiring an expansion of the current waitlist. It's possible of course, but why would UIC randomly become so worried about this eventuality to all of a sudden start interviewing again?

So while UIC making an "error" of sending out rejections instead of IIs is hard to believe, I think it's more likely than them being terrified of not having enough bodies. Also, those of us who are already on the waitlist are on it because UIC didn't like us enough to give us an acceptance. It's very possible the new batch of interviewees will be more to their liking and either get outright acceptances for any open slots UIC may currently have, or get appended to the top of the waitlist. Either way, I don't expect any movement from the waitlist until those interviews are completed.

I can't imagine a school sending out interview invites 2 months before class starts is a good sign. It seems like people are not confident in the school and are withdrawing/choosing other schools in large numbers and now the administration is scrambling to get good students into their class so they don't look bad.

Just got a call about acceptance from first quartile wait list. I'll be withdrawing though. I hope one of you still waiting will get the good news soon.

Reactions: 4 users
Just got a call about acceptance from first quartile wait list. I'll be withdrawing though. I hope one of you still waiting will get the good news soon.

Which campus did they offer you, if I may ask?

AAHHHAHAHAHADSL;FHAKSDFL;

I JUST GOT ACCEPTED TO CHICAGO CAMPUS.
POST-REJECTION INTERVIEW EMAIL ON JUNE 4TH
INTERVIEW ON JUNE 12TH
ACCEPTANCE ON JUNE 22ND

I'M GOING TO BE A DOCTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 7 users

INTERVIEW ON JUNE 12TH
ACCEPTANCE ON JUNE 22ND

Congratulations!

When you interviewed at UIC, did they mention why they re-opened the interview cycle? I'm just curious since I'm on the wait-list and unable to get any information from the admissions office. Thanks.

Congratulations!

When you interviewed at UIC, did they mention why they re-opened the interview cycle? I'm just curious since I'm on the wait-list and unable to get any information from the admissions office. Thanks.

Hey so as to why they re-opened interview...here's what we think.

The admissions office during interview day kept saying the same thing in the email and how it was about some "error" in the system that rejected us. None of us interviewees really bought it and it became very clear that they were looking for out of state candidates during the interview day as ALL of us were from out of state. So here's what we/I concluded:

UIC had matriculated too few out of state people and they need a certain amount every year (more $$$$$$$..its nearly double tuition and total COA is 400k ballpark for OOS). So they basically decided to interview more candidates from out of state to fill their remaining spots. And as to why not pull those OOS candidates from the waitlist? I have no idea honestly...maybe it was a qualification thing? But I'm not even that great of a candidate clearly lol didn't even receive any other MD acceptance so I have no idea how this happened but I'll take it!!

And if anything, my story should serve as a reason to never give up!! You're on the waitlist for a reason (lol i was straight rejected and got in) so keep fighting for a spot, I know people who have gotten in in August...

Reactions: 3 users

INTERVIEW ON JUNE 12TH
ACCEPTANCE ON JUNE 22ND

This post wins this thread.

By the way, did you also get the OOS tuition waver?

The admissions office during interview day kept saying the same thing in the email and how it was about some "error" in the system that rejected us. None of us interviewees really bought it and it became very clear that they were looking for out of state candidates during the interview day as ALL of us were from out of state. So here's what we/I concluded:

UIC had matriculated too few out of state people and they need a certain amount every year (more $$$$$$$..its nearly double tuition and total COA is 400k ballpark for OOS). So they basically decided to interview more candidates from out of state to fill their remaining spots. And as to why not pull those OOS candidates from the waitlist? I have no idea honestly...maybe it was a qualification thing? But I'm not even that great of a candidate clearly lol didn't even receive any other MD acceptance so I have no idea how this happened but I'll take it!!

And if anything, my story should serve as a reason to never give up!! You're on the waitlist for a reason (lol i was straight rejected and got in) so keep fighting for a spot, I know people who have gotten in in August...

Thanks! And Congratulations, again :)

You're most likely correct, as it's apparently not the first time it's happened in terms of going back and interviewing "rejected" candidates when demographics were skewed (talked with some other people who encountered it in the past). What an incredible turn of events -- SO SO happy for you, congrats, and can't wait to graduate as fellow UICOM physicians in 2019!! :)

Was just accepted off the alternate list (2nd quartile). Offered spots in Champaign for all four years or Peoria after a year in Champaign. Will be declining the offer though. Best of luck to everyone!

Ditto to Footballfan8001. I was accepted from 2nd quartile today with offer of Champaign all four years or Peoria then Champaign. I'll be declining, as well. Best of luck!

Thanks for letting us know what's up with the wait list! Can anyone tell me when orientation starts so I know when to stop jumping at every phone call? ;)

Wow, people are getting accepted from the 2nd quartile and here I am, still languishing in the 1st quartile with no love being shown. This school is crazy, in the sense that if you're gonna go through the trouble of establishing quartiles-and communicating them to applicants!-you should honor them. Otherwise, you're misleading people and throwing their planning out of whack. I personally don't care because I submitted my AMCAS for 2016 cycle a long time ago, but it's the principle of the thing.

Last edited:
Ditto to Footballfan8001. I was accepted from 2nd quartile today with offer of Champaign all four years or Peoria then Champaign. I'll be declining, as well. Best of luck!
Just to get an idea of how the UofI Admissions folks think, can you advise if you are: In state or out of state, and other details? Lots of folks on the 1st quartile would probably want to evaluate

Was just accepted off the alternate list (2nd quartile). Offered spots in Champaign for all four years or Peoria after a year in Champaign. Will be declining the offer though. Best of luck to everyone!
Just to get an idea of how the UofI Admissions folks think, can you advise if you are: In state or out of state, and other details? Lots of folks on the 1st quartile would probably want to evaluate

In state

Wow, people are getting accepted from the 2nd quartile and here I am, still languishing in the 1st quartile with no love being shown. This school is crazy, in the sense that if you're gonna go through the trouble of establishing quartiles-and communicating them to applicants!-you should honor them. Otherwise, you're misleading people and throwing their planning out of whack. I personally don't care because I submitted my AMCAS for 2016 cycle a long time ago, but it's the principle of the thing.

I'm really confused as well as another 1st quartile applicant that hasn't gotten a call. What is the point of quartiles if you are going to bypass the 1st quartile applicants and accept 2nd quartile applicants before them?? I'm happy for the people that got accepted, but I'm a bit frustrated with the lack of clarity about this whole process...

Haha that's interesting. I'm also in the first quartile and in state and did not get an acceptance.

As i mentioned earlier in this thread I'm hoping not to get accepted off the waitlist, but I do wonder what their criteria is for passing over people at this point? It doesn't seem to be in state status or gender, so I guess that leaves race?

Yeah, I guess they may be trying to have a racially diverse class. I'm ORM though and accepted off waitlist from 2nd quartile, so I don't really know.

Ok, so let's play a little detective game and try to figure out exactly what happened here. We already know the following:

1) People were not passed over because of in-state status, since we have members here in the 1st quartile who are in state and did not get a phone call, while some in-state people who were in the 2nd quartile did.

2) It's not because of gender, since we have people from 2nd quartile of both genders getting the call.

3) It's not URM status, since we have at least 1 ORM getting the call.

So, could it be specific racial preference? Let's try to get some more data points, either from the lucky peeps who got the call or from 1st quartile peeps who did not, or preferably both. I'll start:

Quartile: 1st
Got acceptance: No
Parameters: White, male, in-state

Ok, so let's play a little detective game and try to figure out exactly what happened here. We already know the following:

1) People were not passed over because of in-state status, since we have members here in the 1st quartile who are in state and did not get a phone call, while some in-state people who were in the 2nd quartile did.

2) It's not because of gender, since we have people from 2nd quartile of both genders getting the call.

3) It's not URM status, since we have at least 1 ORM getting the call.

So, could it be specific racial preference? Let's try to get some more data points, either from the lucky peeps who got the call or from 1st quartile peeps who did not, or preferably both. I'll start:

Got acceptance: No
Parameters: White, male, in-state

Acceptance: No
Parameters: White male in-state