2014-2015 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So apparently, the process of dividing Decision-Penders into accepted, rejected, or wait-listed will be carried out and communicated next week. Bout damn time, too. Of course, with that said I fully expect the following to happen to yours truly: wait-listed, then rejected on the last possible day. lolz.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So apparently, the process of dividing Decision-Penders into accepted, rejected, or wait-listed will be carried out and communicated next week. Bout damn time, too. Of course, with that said I fully expect the following to happen to yours truly: wait-listed, then rejected on the last possible day. lolz.

How do you know the process will happen next week? Did you call them and that's what they said? Thanks. I'm just curious

Members don't see this ad :)
It's what they said. Also, today is the deadline to withdraw for multiple acceptances, so next week they will have a clear view of how many people are gonna attend vs how many spots are offered.

My portal finally changed from "in process" to a final decision has been made. It says I should be receiving something in the mail. Guessing this is the pre-interview rejection. Glad to finally have some closure! Good luck to everyone still waiting on this school!

Update: I did get the letter in the mail on Saturday.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I'll be an incoming M1 at the Chicago site this fall and am looking for possible roommates. If anyone is interested please feel free to PM me!

Does anyone know if people have been finding out whether their appeal for change of campus location has been approved?

Got the official wait-list email just now! Happy that it's not a rejection, but will be preparing for a re-app just in case. Keeping my fingers crossed that this list moves! :nailbiting:

Got the official wait-list email just now! Happy that it's not a rejection, but will be preparing for a re-app just in case. Keeping my fingers crossed that this list moves! :nailbiting:
+1. Says I'm in the first quartile. Does that mean I'm at the top of the waitlist or the bottom?

Members don't see this ad :)
What are the odds that I would get into the chicago campus if I am in the 1st quartile wait list

It probably varies from year to year but I saw a few people last year get into the Chicago campus in June. Check out last year's thread.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if people have been finding out whether their appeal for change of campus location has been approved?
I couldn't find much about appeals in last year's thread. Anyone hear anything about a site change request yet?

Anyone else having difficulty accessing the application status website? I keep getting the message "Connection refused by messieruic.comd.uic.edu, please try again later."

What are the odds that I would get into the chicago campus if I am in the 1st quartile wait list

Assuming you're actually accepted, your odds of getting into Chicago off of the waitlist are better than getting into Chicago by receiving a regular acceptance anytime after December. Presumably, withdrawals from the class will be distributed more or less according to campus size. Since Chicago campus has more than 50% of the students, the odds of your waitlist acceptance being to the Chicago campus is also over 50%.

Btw, I also got the waitslist, 1st quartile. Seems like all the Decision Penders in this thread got waitlisted. Of course, this is a very small sample size, but on last year's thread a whole bunch of decision penders got outright acceptances in May and only a few were put on the waitlist. This makes me think it's a big hunkin' waitlist this year. I think basically everybody who didn't get accepted, got waitlisted. Just here on this thread we're all in the 1st quartile, and at the risk of sounding like a halfwit, there are 4 quartiles...

Anyone else having difficulty accessing the application status website? I keep getting the message "Connection refused by messieruic.comd.uic.edu, please try again later."

+1 I'm getting the same error message.

Assuming you're actually accepted, your odds of getting into Chicago off of the waitlist are better than getting into Chicago by receiving a regular acceptance anytime after December. Presumably, withdrawals from the class will be distributed more or less according to campus size. Since Chicago campus has more than 50% of the students, the odds of your waitlist acceptance being to the Chicago campus is also over 50%.

Btw, I also got the waitslist, 1st quartile. Seems like all the Decision Penders in this thread got waitlisted. Of course, this is a very small sample size, but on last year's thread a whole bunch of decision penders got outright acceptances in May and only a few were put on the waitlist. This makes me think it's a big hunkin' waitlist this year. I think basically everybody who didn't get accepted, got waitlisted. Just here on this thread we're all in the 1st quartile, and at the risk of sounding like a halfwit, there are 4 quartiles...

Congratulations on 1st quartile! I was actually placed in the 2nd quartile (and I think someone posted earlier that they were as well). So I'm definitely hoping that the waiting list isn't as big as we both think! Eek! Fingers crossed that the list moves, for all of our sakes!

Second quartile here. Trying not to get my hopes up...
+1 I'm getting the same error message.
I'm guessing they're compiling the waitlist of the 1st and 2nd quartile, judging by the small sample size in this thread. They may be working on the 3rd,4th quartile and rejections for the ones getting the error messages?

Pure speculations, but quartile does mean 4 ranks.

+1 . Called the office yesterday because I was trying to go on to check receipt of my transcript, she said that it's happening with a lot of people - doesn't mean anything. :)

Reactions: 2 users
I'm guessing they're compiling the waitlist of the 1st and 2nd quartile, judging by the small sample size in this thread. They may be working on the 3rd,4th quartile and rejections for the ones getting the error messages?

I'm getting the error message and I'm in the first quartile.

I hope not, since I was supposedly already accepted (and withdrew from other schools)! That would be a bad day for me D:

Reactions: 1 users

I spoke with admissions today. They are aware of the error message. For my fellow "decision pending" applicants, this error message has nothing to do with being rejected or placed into a lower quartile on the waitlist. It's a problem with the system.

I would advise anyone waiting to hear back from admissions to call them directly. You can speak to an admissions counselor in regards to your application status if you call today between now and 5pm CST.

Had a dream last night that I got in and was placed at Urbana. Curse you, brain!

Well then in that case all I know is they are starting to make a waitlist and those who are still pending are still being decided on whether or not they will make the list or get rejected.

It would be nice if the people that got 1/2 quartile notifications were very likely to get in, and that the 3/4 quartile would only get notified if the current 1/2 quartile waitlist was used up, which would mean that everyone who got waitlisted already would get in. Pure speculation though.

Does anyone know if this happened last year too?

Long time lurker here. So I have called the admissions office twice (yesterday and today) and have been confirmed by two different people that those who are "decision pending" are still in the running towards being accepted, rejected or wait listed.

One lady at admissions told me that we should hear back about what our status is by the end of the month

Long time lurker here. So I have called the admissions office twice (yesterday and today) and have been confirmed by two different people that those who are "decision pending" are still in the running towards being accepted, rejected or wait listed.

One lady at admissions told me that we should hear back about what our status is by the end of the month

Really? That seems to go against the verbiage in the waitlist email I received:

I would like to inform you that the application process for admission into the 2015 Entering Class of the College of Medicine has now been concluded. The Committee on Admissions has completed its review of all applications. Based on their evaluation you have been selected as an Alternate.

I wish to advise you that you have been placed in the 1st quartile.
The Alternate List is used to replace accepted candidates who withdraw their names from the entering class.

The wording here implies that all the acceptances have already been given out, and that the only additional admits will result from withdrawals of existing acceptees, i.e. via the waitlist. I can understand they haven't yet ranked everyone within the waitlist and thus there are still people in Decision Pending status, but it would be weird if they were still planning on possibly giving out additional outright acceptances beyond this point while already having a waitlist in place. Like a waitlist before the waitlist, or something.

Really? That seems to go against the verbiage in the waitlist email I received:

The wording here implies that all the acceptances have already been given out, and that the only additional admits will result from withdrawals of existing acceptees, i.e. via the waitlist. I can understand they haven't yet ranked everyone within the waitlist and thus there are still people in Decision Pending status, but it would be weird if they were still planning on possibly giving out additional outright acceptances beyond this point while already having a waitlist in place. Like a waitlist before the waitlist, or something.
^This, combined with the status website not working, is extremely stressful.

Trying to decide between SLU and University of Illinois (UPR track). Has anyone had to make this decision and could give me their opinion? Feel free to pm me. Thanks!

Update: Ended up choosing SLU. Hope one of you gets my spot!

Last edited:
Any progress with site changes/appeals? I'm waiting (im)patiently for the call...

Any progress with site changes/appeals? I'm waiting (im)patiently for the call...
+1

The wait is truly agonizing. Moreover, the later it gets, the worse an apartment situation is going to be to figure out.

Reactions: 1 users
Decision is still pending and site to check my status stopped working for me weeks ago. Not sure if this means I would be considered for even the waitlist. Any advice would help.

Last edited:
I've just been informed by email that the white coat ceremony is Friday, August 14.

Yea, I figured.
I can see what's going on now: They have still a few people they are hanging on to limbo via decision pending because they are not sure if the current waitlistees are going to accept being waitlisted. Once that's settled, then they'll change the waitlist respectively and send out the rejection mails to others.
Good strategy, all feelings aside.

Hey everyone! I'm a current M1 (or, rising M2 --- whatever) at UIC, and made an account today to hopefully answer some questions I saw.

The backend of the website which allows you to check your application status also runs the website which allows current UIC medical students to check their grades. The backend went down last Tuesday for us (we couldn't check our grades) --- and so the application status site went down for you guys too. I'm just telling you this to let you know that not being able to access the application status website is not indicative of your application status. Please, don't read too much into that.

Also, I know students in our class who were accepted in July, and one as late as August, two weeks before orientation. I'm not trying to give you unrealistic expectations, but it is possible to be accepted that late.

Lastly, I know it's beyond stressful if you're waiting to hear back, and I'm sorry you have to go through it. But, you will make it through, I promise!

Hey everyone! I'm a current M1 (or, rising M2 --- whatever) at UIC, and made an account today to hopefully answer some questions I saw.

The backend of the website which allows you to check your application status also runs the website which allows current UIC medical students to check their grades. The backend went down last Tuesday for us (we couldn't check our grades) --- and so the application status site went down for you guys too. I'm just telling you this to let you know that not being able to access the application status website is not indicative of your application status. Please, don't read too much into that.

Also, I know students in our class who were accepted in July, and one as late as August, two weeks before orientation. I'm not trying to give you unrealistic expectations, but it is possible to be accepted that late.

Lastly, I know it's beyond stressful if you're waiting to hear back, and I'm sorry you have to go through it. But, you will make it through, I promise!

Thanks for helping calm some people down. The way I figured it was that if we have to login to check our accounts, and we can't even log in, then the website being down has nothing to do with our personal accounts.

Also, would you happen to know if any of those people were in the 3rd quartile?

Ok, so this is going to sound really dumb, and it is dumb (because I'm dumb), but I'm pretty sure the background check email went to my spam folder and I didn't notice it. My spam has since been permanently deleted. Can someone PM me the link to certiphi or whatever and the amcas code. I'd really rather not have to call these people up on the phone.. Thank you!

Ok, so this is going to sound really dumb, and it is dumb (because I'm dumb), but I'm pretty sure the background check email went to my spam folder and I didn't notice it. My spam has since been permanently deleted. Can someone PM me the link to certiphi or whatever and the amcas code. I'd really rather not have to call these people up on the phone.. Thank you!

Dear Packersfan,

You have received this email because you have been waitlisted or conditionally accepted by one or more of the medical schools participating in the AAMC-facilitated program for performing criminal background checks on conditionally accepted applicants and waiting list applicants. Please note that the requesting medical school will be notified if consent is not provided, and that failure to provide consent may result in failing to meet the requesting medical school's admissions requirements

To provide consent, please follow the instructions below:
1. Paste the link below into your browser: http://www.applicationstation.com

2. Enter the Code: CERTAAMC2015 in the Application Station Code field.

3. If you have not already created an account for yourself, click the "SIGN UP NOW" button to do so. Otherwise, just click the "SIGN BACK IN" button to login using your Username and Password.

4. Follow the instructions on the Application Station web site to complete your Background Investigation Consent forms.

Please note that the requesting medical school will be notified if consent is not provided, and that failure to provide consent may result in failing to meet the requesting medical school’s admissions requirements.

*Please also note that during the Background Investigation process, Certiphi Screening, Inc. may contact you to obtain additional information if required.

For additional information about this service, including details regarding participating medical schools and the consumer report to be procured, go to http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/faq/background.htm.

If you have technical issues visiting the Application Station site, please contact Application Station Support at: 888-291-1369 x2006.

Thank You
Application Station – Student Edition

You can check your status now, the site is running again.
Still decision pending

So I received an email for being an alternate on May 5. When I checked the status, it said that I had a final decision additional correspondence on May 11. Is that "final decision" just me being on the wait list?

I've just been informed by email that the white coat ceremony is Friday, August 14.

Chicago campus white coat ceremony is during M1, right? Because I know that UPR does theirs during M2.