2014-2015 SUNY Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just put on HPA. Interviewed 2/4, OOS, LizzyM 73

Members don't see this ad.

has anyone that got waitlisted NOT been HPA? I feel like there's hundreds of people on it which concerns me lol

Reactions: 2 users
Is our deposit automatically refunded once we send a withdrawal email? Does anyone know we receive the refund (i.e. as a check or as a directly deposit into our bank account)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is our deposit automatically refunded once we send a withdrawal email? Does anyone know we receive the refund (i.e. as a check or as a directly deposit into our bank account)?
Yes! It took a couple weeks to get a check!

Reactions: 1 users
After weighing the pros and cons of attending Stony Brook vs Upstate, I have decided to attend Upstate. I'm really appreciative for all of the help students, faculty and staff have been in making this decision and I can't wait to meet my new classmates and get this party started!

Reactions: 3 users
After weighing the pros and cons of attending Stony Brook vs Upstate, I have decided to attend Upstate. I'm really appreciative for all of the help students, faculty and staff have been in making this decision and I can't wait to meet my new classmates and get this party started!
I just had to make the same decision myself. Looking forward to meeting my future class here in a few months!

Members don't see this ad :)
Aint that the truth, lol

But does anyone know a number? I tried posting on previous threads. I saw a number of 20 on another forum - not sure if that is true
I don't think that is true. I spoke with someone in the admissions office maybe a week ago. He wouldn't tell me how many are on the list but he did say that, on average, they reach out to a little less than half of this HPA list every year. I wish we had more to go on than that though haha

That's awesome that they get to approximately half. I'm on the HPA as well, praying for a possible spot. I think the administration is both friendly and accommodating( was apparent on interview day, which I loved!). It's wonderful that they provide the opportunity for us to call up in mid -may and gauge where we are on the list. It'd be an absolute blessing if they moved earlier than anticipated. Congratulations to those who have been accepted, you deserve it and worked hard for it :)

Thank you for the insight!!! Wishing you all the best!

Just in case some folks are interested, I found the following from an old thread (from 2008):

"I was told that of 160 students who matricaulate, about 25-35% of the class gets off the HPA list. So, if my math serves me correctly, thats between 40-56 people get in, but there must be twice the amount of acceptances becuase people will opt to attend other schools. So approximetly 80-112 offers, possibly more!"

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...priority-alternative-list-holds.492269/page-4

Just in case some folks are interested, I found the following from an old thread (from 2008):

"I was told that of 160 students who matricaulate, about 25-35% of the class gets off the HPA list. So, if my math serves me correctly, thats between 40-56 people get in, but there must be twice the amount of acceptances becuase people will opt to attend other schools. So approximetly 80-112 offers, possibly more!"

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...priority-alternative-list-holds.492269/page-4

that sounds promising! strange though because when I looked at last years thread it seemed like very little waitlist movement occurred (for SDN users at least).

I spoke to someone from the admissions office last year in early June and she had said that Upstate had had above average movement on their waitlist that year. Unfortunately the school I was waitlisted at (University of Colorado) did not, so I definitely know what you guys are going through. I think it just varies from school to school and year to year. Keep your heads up, never quit and good luck - I bet I'll be seeing a bunch of you in August!

Last edited:
Has there been any WL movement at all? No sound of it and im getting nervous.

I have to make a tough decision betweeen Upstate and Downstate: can any current students explain why they chose upstate over other schools (if accepted at more than one), what they like best, what they like least, what they find easiest/most diffivult about attending? Any advice would be appreciated

Reactions: 1 user
I have to make a tough decision betweeen Upstate and Downstate: can any current students explain why they chose upstate over other schools (if accepted at more than one), what they like best, what they like least, what they find easiest/most diffivult about attending? Any advice would be appreciated

After getting accepted to Upstate, I did not go to my Downstate interview because I did not want to live there for 4 years. I live in NYC and really desired a change. The areas are massively different- Brooklyn vs. Syracuse. One is not better than the other, they are simply different. Which did you prefer when you visited?

Another thing to consider: both schools send students to great places, but it seems Downstate is especially good for people who want to stay in NYC. If you definitely see yourself working in the city in the future, NYC hospitals really love Downstate students.

Just called Admissions, and they said the list is just going to start moving this week!
Thanks for letting us know!!! I was beginning to think there wasn't any movement yet because it was going to be one of those years with minimal movement!

I did. I'm more interested in the masters though. I'm actually headed to campus now for the interview tomorrow. Have u interviewed for it already?
Hey there, I just received an invite for this program. You can PM me with questions and I can give you more details.

Just got accepted off the High Priority Alternate list! Very excited since this is my first acceptance. I have been waiting on a few waitlists (including this one) and the decision from one other school for a little while now. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist, I hope it works out for you!

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted off HPA today!!!!!!!!! So excited. Hope it works out for everyone, movement has began!

Also got accepted of HPA! People may be wondering what position the admissions office is on the list; unfortunately, I don't know. What I do know is that I was in the top half (perhaps closer to the middle). I hope this helps folks assess how the list is moving! Wishing you all a spot!

congrats to those acceptances!! Did you get an email or phone call??? good luck to all of us hoping to get that call soon!!!!

Also accepted off the HPA list today! Congratulations to all the others who were accepted today :)
Does anyone know when they send us further information after we confirm that we are attending?

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting!

Long time lurker, first time poster, also accepted off HPA today! Got the call and email at 9:30 a.m.! Interviewed early February, HPA list early April, LizzyM ~70. Good luck to all those still waiting!

New acceptees, feel free to join us all over on the Facebook group!

guess us other HPA-ers missed the boat here :( congrats all!

I am looking for one roommate to share a two bedroom Madison apartment, which is walking distance to campus and much cheaper than Geneva. If you are interested please send me a message :).

Accepted of the HPA yesterday morning! Prior to acceptance I was committed to Albany Med, but now I'm really leaning towards Upstate. Having a tough time deciding what to choose - can any current students or incoming students tell me why they ultimately chose Upstate? Thanks in advance!

Accepted of the HPA yesterday morning! Prior to acceptance I was committed to Albany Med, but now I'm really leaning towards Upstate. Having a tough time deciding what to choose - can any current students or incoming students tell me why they ultimately chose Upstate? Thanks in advance!

First off, congratulations! I'll be an incoming student (hopefully with you) at Upstate in August. I did not get an interview at AMC this year, but I live in the Albany area and work as a paramedic so I'm very familiar with the hospital and somewhat familiar with the medical school. It would have been a tough decision had I gotten into AMC as well, but I think in the end I still would have chosen Upstate over AMC. If you're in-state, Upstate will definitely be less expensive, and even if you're out of state, it may still be less expensive if you can get residency after the first year. I like the way the new curriculum is set up at Upstate and all of the students I've talked to seem pretty happy with it. I believe AMC's is more traditional, which may or may not be good for you. When I visited Upstate, I felt like the students were really enjoying medical school, whereas some of the students I have met at AMC have been slightly less enthusiastic, although certainly not negative about their school. I have spent less time around Upstate students though, so this may be a sampling bias. Campus wise, I think both schools are pretty similar and their respective hospitals are good facilities. Upstate does have a burn center, hyperbaric chamber and poison control center, whereas AMCH does not. Both hospitals are referral centers for large and diverse populations. I will say that AMC has a pretty nice simulation center and some really good standardized patient actors. I know Upstate has a simulation center associated with their Emergency Department, but I haven't seen it and I haven't had the chance to interact with their clinical skills center staff, so I can't comment on how they compare. Another thing you might consider comparing is the match lists of both schools - I'm not sure what AMCs looks like, so I really can't comment on how they compare there either.
This year I had to choose between Upstate and Stony Brook, and the most helpful piece of advice somebody gave me was that I really couldn't go wrong with either one. After going back and forth for a while, I came to the same conclusion and went with my gut feeling. At this point I feel pretty good about my decision, and we'll have to see, but I doubt I will ever regret it. I think you're in the same position- you really can't go wrong with either school, so think things over, but don't feel bad about going with your gut feeling in the end. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk things over or have more specific questions about AMC. Again, congratulations, good luck and hopefully I'll be seeing you in the fall!

So, if we got the call and the email saying that they've reached our name on the HPA list, is it an outright acceptance?

Last edited:
First off, congratulations! I'll be an incoming student (hopefully with you) at Upstate in August. I did not get an interview at AMC this year, but I live in the Albany area and work as a paramedic so I'm very familiar with the hospital and somewhat familiar with the medical school. It would have been a tough decision had I gotten into AMC as well, but I think in the end I still would have chosen Upstate over AMC. If you're in-state, Upstate will definitely be less expensive, and even if you're out of state, it may still be less expensive if you can get residency after the first year. I like the way the new curriculum is set up at Upstate and all of the students I've talked to seem pretty happy with it. I believe AMC's is more traditional, which may or may not be good for you. When I visited Upstate, I felt like the students were really enjoying medical school, whereas some of the students I have met at AMC have been slightly less enthusiastic, although certainly not negative about their school. I have spent less time around Upstate students though, so this may be a sampling bias. Campus wise, I think both schools are pretty similar and their respective hospitals are good facilities. Upstate does have a burn center, hyperbaric chamber and poison control center, whereas AMCH does not. Both hospitals are referral centers for large and diverse populations. I will say that AMC has a pretty nice simulation center and some really good standardized patient actors. I know Upstate has a simulation center associated with their Emergency Department, but I haven't seen it and I haven't had the chance to interact with their clinical skills center staff, so I can't comment on how they compare. Another thing you might consider comparing is the match lists of both schools - I'm not sure what AMCs looks like, so I really can't comment on how they compare there either.
This year I had to choose between Upstate and Stony Brook, and the most helpful piece of advice somebody gave me was that I really couldn't go wrong with either one. After going back and forth for a while, I came to the same conclusion and went with my gut feeling. At this point I feel pretty good about my decision, and we'll have to see, but I doubt I will ever regret it. I think you're in the same position- you really can't go wrong with either school, so think things over, but don't feel bad about going with your gut feeling in the end. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk things over or have more specific questions about AMC. Again, congratulations, good luck and hopefully I'll be seeing you in the fall!

Thanks so much! I too am from the Albany area, and ultimately came to the conclusion that you did - I really can't go wrong with either. I decided to commit to upstate so I will be seeing you in the fall! Thanks again :)

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone know if they give us tablets/laptops?
Laptops are required, but I don't think they will give you one. I think they will check the laptop you bring in to see if it is good enough to run some of the softwares and stuff.

Anyone on the HPA list that hasn't taken statistics which is a requirement for upstate?

Anyone on the HPA list that hasn't taken statistics which is a requirement for upstate?

I was accepted off the HPA without having stats. I'm currently enrolled in a course now so it will be fine, but they did accept me before having started the course.

Also on HPA list. Hoping for some movement soon.