2014-2015 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got Athens as well. Super stoked! I am wondering if anyone is taking the pre-matriculation program in Augusta? I am all signed up but the details are sparse.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
If accepted off the waitlist are we still eligible for need based scholarships or grants?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got Athens as well. Super stoked! I am wondering if anyone is taking the pre-matriculation program in Augusta? I am all signed up but the details are sparse.

I'm not to me it seemed like it was mostly for people who had been out of school for a while and needed a refresher on getting back into the routine of things. You share a room with someone, college freshman style and apparently are extremely busy the entire time. However, you can make connections while you're down there and get a head start. For me, I'd rather spend my last summer relaxing and enjoying this time since I'm not taking a year off between a 5-year undergrad and med school.

The prematriculation program wasn't offered to my class, but I know some students that attended. They found it very helpful for the transition into medical school. No matter how rigorous your undergraduate program, no one says, "wow, medical school really takes it slowly"

You probably know what will be most useful for you. Whether you attend the pre-matriculation program or relax and recharge during the summer, it should be the right decision for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Is the Harrison scholarship minimum 3.5 cumulative gpa? Or do you have to have a 3.5 every semester?

Withdrew from MCG and the Harrison Scholars Program. Good luck to you all!

Last edited:
Long time lurker here, just made an account to post that I was accepted today off the waitlist!

Congrats! Was it by phone or email/what time did you hear?
Thanks so much! I got an email at 11:37 this morning, I honestly hadn't expected to hear anything before April 30 so I was shocked to say the least haha.

Thanks so much! I got an email at 11:37 this morning, I honestly hadn't expected to hear anything before April 30 so I was shocked to say the least haha.

Congratulations! Would you mind posting stats? Were you expecting to get pulled off of the waitlist? I'm so curious! MCG is my dream, and I hope to hear soon!

Congratulations! Would you mind posting stats? Were you expecting to get pulled off of the waitlist? I'm so curious! MCG is my dream, and I hope to hear soon!
Not at all, I had a 3.7 cum GPA and a 3.8 science and a 32q on the MCAT. I have about 150 hours of shadowing various physicians as well as 2 years of research that includes 2 papers and 2 presentations to conferences. I was wait listed last year and devastated when I found out I had to apply again but I felt like this years interview was much better. I was confident I had a good shot at getting in off the wait list, was just surprised it came so soon was all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, speaking from last years experience this is very early to hear about wait list movement so there is still plenty of hope!

Last edited:
And for the recording I was emailed at 6:14 pm then had a phone call just now.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm glad you told us that without me having to ask

Accepted tonight at 6:13! Just now reading my email, and was so pleasantly surprised.

Thank you and sure! 3.3 cumulative, 29 MCAT, ~70 hours of shadowing/hospital volunteering, ~300 hours of other somewhat medically related volunteering. I was a psychology major at GT, and was a biomedical engineer major for two years prior to switching.

Last edited:
Just withdrew my acceptance here. I really liked the school, the community, and the campus but unfortunately I had to let it go. I'm an OOS resident and so it wasn't as easy to just choose MCG as it would have been if I was a Georgia resident. I hope my spot can go to one of you guys who are IS though.

Good luck to everyone who is on the waiting list for this school and who really have MCG as their first choice!

Reactions: 4 users
Got an acceptance around 6pm yesterday as well! Super excited about this place. I think it's going to be a really good class. Have y'all heard anything from financial aid?

Does anyone know anything about when we will receive our pounce Id or the technical standards form? Wasn't sure if they would wait for our acceptance form and deposit to arrive first.

Accepted! *has heart attack*
OMG, I don't even know you, but I've seen your posts over on the Nontrad and LBGT threads, and I am mad excited for you, awesome internet stranger!

Hope the tuition does not go up too much in four years.

Last edited:
So do they simply go down the alternate list calling whoever is next, or is there discussion involved?

Also, when did those who have been accepted get their waitlist email, specifically at what time? It seems irrelevant, but I would like to try to find a pattern!

So do they simply go down the alternate list calling whoever is next, or is there discussion involved?

Also, when did those who have been accepted get their waitlist email, specifically at what time? It seems irrelevant, but I would like to try to find a pattern!
As quickly as it seems to be moving, I think they're just going down their list.

I feel like if I remember correctly they hit the button and we pretty much all seemed to get the WL email around the same time.

OMG, I don't even know you, but I've seen your posts over on the Nontrad and LBGT threads, and I am mad excited for you, awesome internet stranger!
Accepted! *has heart attack*

familyaerospace,

I have also followed your story from reading MCG and Mercer's previous years' threads. Congrats. I commend your perseverance and fortitude. You will definitely add to the diversity of this class. :)

I posted my time (it was after 6 pm) and I was called around 8 pm to confirm.

Thank you! I have freaked out everyone who I have told so far, except for my partner who is the only one sad. I think he is scared that I am going to make him go tot he doctor's at gunpoint now.

familyaerospace,

I have also followed your story from reading MCG and Mercer's previous years' threads. Congrats. I commend your perseverance and fortitude. You will definitely add to the diversity of this class. :)

Thank you. Trust me, I will be easy to pick out for those all wondering who I am. :) No one is this diverse. LOL!

I posted my time (it was after 6 pm) and I was called around 8 pm to confirm.

Thank you! I have freaked out everyone who I have told so far, except for my partner who is the only one sad. I think he is scared that I am going to make him go tot he doctor's at gunpoint now.

Thank you. Trust me, I will be easy to pick out for those all wondering who I am. :) No one is this diverse. LOL!

No, I meant the time you received your 'waitlist email'.

No, I meant the time you received your 'waitlist email'.
This will help in ZERO way. I'm pretty sure whatever they've decided, they've ALREADY DECIDED. Just sit back and relax. We've all waited this long, what's a few more weeks? Have a beer my friend, go watch the MayPac fight tomorrow and chat with someone at the bar haha.

This will help in ZERO way. I'm pretty sure whatever they've decided, they've ALREADY DECIDED. Just sit back and relax. We've all waited this long, what's a few more weeks? Have a beer my friend, go watch the MayPac fight tomorrow and chat with someone at the bar haha.

Good Call

Hey, everyone! I've posted on this thread multiple times. I just wanted to excitedly announce that I was accepted today at 3:23 P.M. via email. I am so beyond excited for this opportunity. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting. Here are my stats: Non-traditional student (24), 32 MCAT, 3.8 sGPA, 3.9 cGPA, over 150 shadowing hours, 1 year of research with 2 abstracts, some volunteering and I have also been working as a patient care coordinator for a plastic surgeon for the past two years. I look forward to meeting everyone this August!!

Can someone who went to Second Look Day gives us more details about the revamped curriculum at the Augusta campus?

Omg congrats everyone!!!

@peterpan7 ... To be honest they didn't cover the curriculum any more in depth than they do on the website. Essentially, it's systems based. Do you have specific questions? It's been too long for me to remember specifically.

Omg congrats everyone!!!

@peterpan7 ... To be honest they didn't cover the curriculum any more in depth than they do on the website. Essentially, it's systems based. Do you have specific questions? It's been too long for me to remember specifically.

I heard the Augusta campus started to implement problem-based learning sessions (once per week) last semester and have other small group sessions. Can you tell me anything about those non-lecture sessions? Also, what is the grading system for the pre-clinical years and for the clinical years? Thanks.