2014-2015 Indiana University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Where's the hope at people! People are accepted after others have been waitlisted! It happens all the time, you just don't know it... You know what they say about assuming... o__o
Exactly!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected! You'd think they would have figured it out sooner. Geez.

Sorry to hear about all the rejections here today guys :( Congrats to those of you that have been accepted elsewhere! And for those of you who haven't, don't forget that a rejection (even a bunch of them) does not indicate the end of the road to becoming a doctor! Good luck to you all!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I agree with that statement and good luck to you all. I had seen some bumps in the road which people have turned into their biggest success. Hang in there

Anything sent out in the mail for alternates? Or would they do phone calls?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anything sent out in the mail for alternates? Or would they do phone calls?

I get the impression that with the alternate list they will just be sending emails. Hoping for some movement this week!

Does anyone know if the alternate list has moved at all this week?

Alternate here. I haven't heard anything.

They did update my portal to reflect some coursework I submitted (I was missing prerequisites), if that means anything.

Hmm. Well I guess we know they haven't forgotten us. I was expecting there to be more movement by now, but it seems like IUSM and a lot of schools have been relatively quiet this year for their wait lists. o_O

It is with eyes filled with tears that I withdraw my acceptance at this awesome institution (Indianapolis Campus). I hope this brings tears of joy to one of you awesome people:)!

Hmm. Well I guess we know they haven't forgotten us. I was expecting there to be more movement by now, but it seems like IUSM and a lot of schools have been relatively quiet this year for their wait lists. o_O
Look at the last few years when they gave wait-list assignments and when they actually started taking people off of it.

Look at the last few years when they gave wait-list assignments and when they actually started taking people off of it.

Do you mean look at last year's threads? If you already have, what does the time frame look like?

Do you mean look at last year's threads? If you already have, what does the time frame look like?

It varies but for the past few years waitlist movement didn't appear to start until towards the end of June :(

Has anyone on the alternate list spoken to the admissions office about a possible timeframe for WL movement? When does second lottery occur for accepted students?

Lastly I know IUSM says they don't rank, but I'm confused then as to how they start pulling from the WL. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Neurotically stalking this thread/past threads looking for any sort of information...! The things applying to med school will do to you...

I'm on the alternate list and I talked to someone in the admissions office on Tuesday to talk about what I can do to improve my application for next year if need be. He said that he thinks it will move at the beginning of June and said some years it's as little as 20 people and some years as high as 80 people so there is hope. I just wish we knew sooner so I can figure out what to do with my life.

It varies but for the past few years waitlist movement didn't appear to start until towards the end of June :(

Has anyone on the alternate list spoken to the admissions office about a possible timeframe for WL movement? When does second lottery occur for accepted students?

Lastly I know IUSM says they don't rank, but I'm confused then as to how they start pulling from the WL. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Neurotically stalking this thread/past threads looking for any sort of information...! The things applying to med school will do to you...

I'm on the alternate list and I talked to someone in the admissions office on Tuesday to talk about what I can do to improve my application for next year if need be. He said that he thinks it will move at the beginning of June and said some years it's as little as 20 people and some years as high as 80 people so there is hope. I just wish we knew sooner so I can figure out what to do with my life.

Yeah it's a rough process for sure. I know IUSM is notorious for lagging on their WL movement and then calling people in the later summer. So end of June doesn't really surprise me if that's when movement is expected to happen. If you follow the WL support group thread on here it looks like movement has been remarkably slow this year for a lot of schools. In the meantime I feel like all there is to do is fill out the next AMCAS just in case. Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

Thanks for the info/support, and good luck to my fellow alternates. IUSM is my dream school but I will say I'm so bummed out about the timing of this admissions process :( Hoping 12 months of waiting will soon pay off...

Could any current med student (or anyone) please comment on the Fort Wayne campus? If they could comment on housing opportunities also that'd be great. Thanks!

Yeah it's a rough process for sure. I know IUSM is notorious for lagging on their WL movement and then calling people in the later summer. So end of June doesn't really surprise me if that's when movement is expected to happen. If you follow the WL support group thread on here it looks like movement has been remarkably slow this year for a lot of schools. In the meantime I feel like all there is to do is fill out the next AMCAS just in case. Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
I second what lynnIU said. I know it sucks but there is no true rhyme or reason for when the WL moves only the committee knows. I have a hunch that next week will see some movement. Hang in there guys! BTW they will never give u a concrete answer on how many or when because they are afraid of WL drop outs.

I talked to one of the professors who said don't give up about 50% sometimes

They mean that they don't give you your position on the waitlist, they just say you're waitlisted. But yeah of course they rank the waitlist and don't pull ppl off randomly.

Thanks for all the replies! I called admissions today but (as expected) I didn't get any sort of information about where they are in the WL process. Hoping next week brings us some good news.

Hey guys just from past experiences with my peers... The longer you're on the wait list the better! Sounds strange but IU typically sends rejections in the first two weeks of June. They'll start rejecting wait list ppl then but if you make it till the end of the month you have a really good shot at acceptance

Hey guys just from past experiences with my peers... The longer you're on the wait list the better! Sounds strange but IU typically sends rejections in the first two weeks of June. They'll start rejecting wait list ppl then but if you make it till the end of the month you have a really good shot at acceptance
You can get rejected from a waitlist?

You can get rejected from a waitlist?

Yeah I thought that once you are on the wait list they just keep you on file, until after the first week of classes when they have the class completely set. My understanding was that the WL was basically a "we like you but we don't have room for you right now" list.

Yeah I thought that once you are on the wait list they just keep you on file, until after the first week of classes when they have the class completely set. My understanding was that the WL was basically a "we like you but we don't have room for you right now" list.
That's how I always heard it as well.

Looking at last years thread, no one heard anything until the end of June but they were also waitlisted at the beginning of June. Maybe being waitlisted earlier means we'll hear soon? A lot of people needed to make decisions by May 1st! Anyway, just feeling anxious haha

Agreed to all above replies, I had two friends on the waitlist last year - one got in July, one stayed on it the whole summer and ended up reapplying, but never received a formal rejection.

We are rapidly approaching mid-June without any sort of movement :cryi:

Has anyone heard of any acceptances off the WL? I check this thread daily but I imagine there are plenty of WLers who don't post on here.

Yes they'll reject those one the wait list according to rank then as the summer progresses more will be accepted and denied
Then what's the point of the wait list? When it was ranked (I assume as they put it together) if people fell below a certain number why even waitlist them. Would they not just reject them outright?

Then what's the point of the wait list? When it was ranked (I assume as they put it together) if people fell below a certain number why even waitlist them. Would they not just reject them outright?

For the April 30th drop out date. After then ppl typically only give up their seats for emergencies

For the April 30th drop out date. After then ppl typically only give up their seats for emergencies
Interesting, I know that's what the waitlist is for in general, but I've never heard of a person being rejected from it. You just never get off of it, if no spot opens for you. Weird

I GOT ACCEPTED OFF THE ALTERNATE LIST!!!

Well I was told my acceptance letter was in the mail. I am on vacation for the next week or so and so this morning I sent a message through the portal telling them and saying they could contact me via email or my cell. So then I got an email saying to call the office. And I was told an acceptance letter was mailed to me, and there is a seven day period in which to respond and that I can do it via email. So yeah. The first round is in the mail guys.

Reactions: 4 users
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! That's amazing!

Crossing my fingers I receive a letter soon!

I checked my portal status and I'm still an alternate, but I'm really happy to hear the WL is moving.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! That's amazing!

Crossing my fingers I receive a letter soon!

I checked my portal status and I'm still an alternate, but I'm really happy to hear the WL is moving.

Yeah my portal status still says alternate too. I am assuming it will change on Monday or Tuesday. Sending good vibes to all of you!

Did anybody receive letters or call admissions to see if they were sent out?

Just called admissions. Lady was nice but did say "That's not information we release."

Lol I expected as much but figured I'd at least give it a shot.

If anyone has better luck please post on here!! Getting sooooo anxious. Traveling soon and if I were to gain acceptance I would have VERY little time to lease an apartment, move, etc.

Did anybody receive letters or call admissions to see if they were sent out?

I don't know if it was a batch of them, but I was told my letter was sent out on Friday.

I don't mean to complain or anything and this is not a malicious post. Just curious as to why they can't let alternates know once the waitlist starts to move? Is there an administrative reason for this?

Last edited: