2014-2015 Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lyyj

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, anybody applying for the current 2014/2015 Duke-NUS intake?:)

I'm a first time applicant and taking my MCAT soon! Anyone else doing the same?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello :) I am a first time applicant too. Thanks for starting a new thread! Hope your preparation is going well :)

Hello ppl! I am a first time applicant too. Currently still consolidating my application for submission and taking my 2nd MCAT in 2days!

Anw have you guys submitted ur application? I am still waiting for my last 2 rec letter. i heard that admission is on a rolling basis so i am not sure if i shld be anxious about this.

Members don't see this ad :)
All the best for your MCAT! Waiting for rec letters too.. :)

All the best for your MCAT! Waiting for rec letters too.. :)
Thanks! I just finished it. Feels better than my first time haha. Anyway have you finish doing up ur application?

It say one of the rec letters must come from an academic professor. Does it mean someone who has actually taught me or just any professor of the institution say the director of a programme?

I just got started on my application... Will probably get to the rest of the stuff after my MCAT. Hmm i'm not too sure but i guess someone who can testament to your academic ability? I don't really have a referee who has personally taught me too... but im asking a prof whom im working w in a lab.

Are you guys local applicants?

yup local here. I did a rough draft of the essays, probably will amend them from time to time as I wait for the rec letters. Other than that, have done rest of the application. You?

I have a friend who once sought rec letters from a prof who taught him and a prof who is the head of the sch. The prof who taught him was able to give him a testimony based on his results and performance in the course while the prof who is the head told my friend to look for other profs, since this prof has never taught him before and couldn't write anything personal.

I think the requirement just meant any profs, but you would want someone who could say something about your ability!

Hey guys, I'm an American and I just wanted to know about the repayment option. I was wondering if I did my residency in Singapore would that harm my chances of coming back home to the US to practice?

Thanks,

What does NUS-Duke look for in applicants? What is the range of MCAT/GPA?

Base on my understanding from the open house and info sessions, if you're considering practicing in the US, you are better off applying to med school in the US since you're american anyway.

Im also an applicant this year!!! Good luck to us all!!! taking my MCAT in september!!! >.<

Last edited:
I just got started on my application... Will probably get to the rest of the stuff after my MCAT. Hmm i'm not too sure but i guess someone who can testament to your academic ability? I don't really have a referee who has personally taught me too... but im asking a prof whom im working w in a lab.

Are you guys local applicants?

Yup local applicant here too! :)

T
yup local here. I did a rough draft of the essays, probably will amend them from time to time as I wait for the rec letters. Other than that, have done rest of the application. You?

I have a friend who once sought rec letters from a prof who taught him and a prof who is the head of the sch. The prof who taught him was able to give him a testimony based on his results and performance in the course while the prof who is the head told my friend to look for other profs, since this prof has never taught him before and couldn't write anything personal.

I think the requirement just meant any profs, but you would want someone who could say something about your ability!

Thanks:) coz I have already planned out who to seek my letters from. Luckily I won't have to make changes

Hey everyone,

My name's Brian. I've just finished my first year at Duke-NUS and will be starting clinical rotations in the fall. Let me know if you have any questions regarding the application process or med school in general. I can also be reached at [email protected].

All the best.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Brian, quick question... in the US, the USMLE Step 1 , 2 and 3 dictates what residency programs you will be eligible/competitive for... how does this work in Singapore Med System?

Hi, I'm a first time applicant as well, good luck with the application process everyone :)

Hi all, any Masters/PhD holder here applying or have applied for Duke-NUS? Wonder what is the success rate? And will such successful applicant receive subsidised or sponsorship for tuition fees?

I am a Singaporean doing my graduate studies in UK. I have worked in both science and medical field before, and has published in medical journals. I am worried about the costs incurred by studying

Hi Brian, quick question... in the US, the USMLE Step 1 , 2 and 3 dictates what residency programs you will be eligible/competitive for... how does this work in Singapore Med System?

Things are a tad complicated when it comes to residency applications in Singapore. The reason being that two of our medical schools (Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine at NUS and Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine at NTU) are modeled after the British undergraduate system while Duke-NUS takes the American post graduate path. Each school assesses their students in slightly different ways. A common means of assessing all medical graduates from Singapore institutions is in the works.

As students of Duke-NUS, we need to take several of NBME's standardised examinations, in addition to other examinations. At the end of the first year, we take the CBSE. At the end of the second year, the CBSE again as well as the CCSE. These examinations are used to gauge how prepared we are for the USMLE step 1, which is taken in the third year. Step 2 CK is taken at the end of third year or beginning of fourth year. Step 2 CS and 3 are not offered outside the US if I'm not mistaken, though if one is keen on pursuing further training there, they are advised to take those as well. The Duke-NUS practical exam (CPX4) taken in our final year is meant to simulate Step 2 CS. And Singapore residencies have their own local equivalent of Step 3 for interns.

Out of all these, the Step 1 score is the most important when it comes to applying for residency.

I will be reapplying again this cycle. Good luck to everyone.
I think my MCAT score is probably good enough, so I am trying to work on other aspects of the application? Anyone has any tips to share?

Hi all, any Masters/PhD holder here applying or have applied for Duke-NUS? Wonder what is the success rate? And will such successful applicant receive subsidised or sponsorship for tuition fees?

I am a Singaporean doing my graduate studies in UK. I have worked in both science and medical field before, and has published in medical journals. I am worried about the costs incurred by studying

Im currently finishing up my PhD, Im also worried about the success rate of applying since rejection= 1 year of waiting/re-application. Further, given the long training process, time isnt exactly on our side (since we will already be in our late 20s, Im assuming here)

However, I am currently more concerned/focused about getting accepted rather than the opportunity cost incurred by going back to sch to study etc... med school is a long journey, after the 4 years, theres still at least 5 years of residency training, so its prob better to carefully consider this and be super sure this is what you want

Reactions: 1 user
Has anybody completed before July heard back from them?

Hi guys, I was wondering if it is advisable to put home activities down like swimming weekly etc, as well as short time non-medically related activities in the application. Thank you.

Yes you can apply to both. They have different requirements though .

Hey guys, the application process is a great time for you to reflect on and learn from your experiences. Do learn from them and discover more about yourself!

All the best in your applications! :)

Hey I just received the invite for applicant day!! 8th September!:) Brian I will be needing your help soon.:)

Are you attending the applicant day in Singapore?

All the best on Monday! It's been quite a journey till this point :thumbup: Hopefully we'll get the chance to talk!

Of course!! Look out for a super tall guy during applicant day:) hahaha
All the best on Monday! It's been quite a journey till this point :thumbup: Hopefully we'll get the chance to talk!

Congrats! I assume you are a local applicant then. I wonder when they are going to send out IIs to US applicants :(

I am n
Congrats! I assume you are a local applicant then. I wonder when they are going to send out IIs to US applicants :(
i am
Not sure too but I can ask around and let u know if I can

Last year,they have one of the earliest invitation during the end of October and beginning of November, the first applicant day was sometimes around the 20th of November in Durham, NC.

Hope the first batch of applicants had a good time (albeit stressful) during applicant day. Have a good break because you definitely earned it and continue to do the great things you have been doing!
All the best! ;):thumbup:

Thanks leonghart! The students were all very friendly, as with the staff and faculty. A very welcoming environment :))

In case anyone wants to know more about applicant day, the TeamLEAD session was not as intimidating or demanding as initially thought. The discussions would be based on the questions provided, so don't need to think too hard on what to say, just follow the questions and the flow of the group. The interviews are not as structured as those medical interviews tutorial found in Youtube, where you first shared about yourself, your activities then some ethical issues. The questions I had were mostly based on my activities listed in my application. I thought I was rather defensive and keep trying to prove myself, which wasn't very good. So yup, do stay calm and be confident of yourself, because if you are shortlisted for interview, it shows you are pretty good already.

All the best everyone :))

Feel free to ask questions here! We'll do our best to help you guys learn more about the school! :woot:

hi everyone! i am contemplating whether to retake my mcat. Took it twice but didn't score well. scored 26.
I have done my masters and have a first author publication. What are my chances of getting in if I apply with my low mcat score?

They sent me 2 choices, in Durham or in San Francisco; Singapore was not an option. I picked SF :D

Too bad I won't see you I picked the earlier date. Can someone who interviewed at Duke before comment on what the applicant day is like? How many applicants will be there?

Hi everyone, is there anyone going for the upcoming Applicant day on 10th october?

Too bad I won't see you I picked the earlier date. Can someone who interviewed at Duke before comment on what the applicant day is like? How many applicants will be there?

The one I went has 17 applicants. Think it ranged from 16 to 20 applicants each session. There will be presentations by faculty members to introduce the school, teamlead sessions (which are quite fun, interesting and insightful), 2 -4 interviews (depending on MD or MD/PhD) and essays, and some more presentations.

The staff and faculty are very friendly, so it seems to be more of a get to know you session than a typical interview.

Thank you very much for the information :)

Has anyone already interviewed heard back from them?

Has anyone already interviewed heard back from them?

Hi guys, new here! Been following this thread for sometime and just finally decided to reply because the wait is agonizing!!!
Interviewed in September, follow up interview in October, haven't heard back. This is killing me!
How about you likeplum?

Hello, I got interviewed in October. Yes the wait is agonising! Hope for the best :)

Quick question: is this program easier to get into than most medical schools in the US?