2014-2015 Albany Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Given that I was on fap and my parents have no real finances so to speak, yes.

sorry to hear that. seems like albany is known for not giving much help. it really hurts applicants like us

Members don't see this ad.

Few applicants can really make a dent in tuition. Most of the people I know, myself included, are living entirely off loans.

My point was that I thought there would be atleast some grants offered by the school, but that's apparently not the case.

Wonder how much that has to do with them knowing I don't have other acceptances. I guess the only way to find that out would be to know if others got anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
My point was that I thought there would be atleast some grants offered by the school, but that's apparently not the case.

Wonder how much that has to do with them knowing I don't have other acceptances. I guess the only way to find that out would be to know if others got anything.
Med students typically live entirely off their loans and med schools generally hand out very few grants, if any. Federal aid can help a bit if you qualify but generally students walk out hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt, unless you're loaded. That probably sounds intimidating but I've never met a physician that's had trouble paying back their loans. You can usually defer it until after you finish your residency and the low interest rate and long payback period make it totally manageable.

If you are really wanting to find yourself some other type of funding, I would recommend applying for privately funded scholarships. You will have to do a lot of digging and apply apply apply year round, but it's an opportunity to pick up a few thousand dollars here and there. Personally, I don't think it's worth taking time away from focusing on school, but it all depends on you.

Hope this helps!

I realize that most funding is loans, however the average indebtedness art schools like Albany are around 150k. I should have realized that the number came from those who were able to fund their education themselves or with the help of their family.

I'm not afraid of the debt so to speak, just trying to figure out how to minimize it, ie how much is actually needed for cost of living. I can likely turn down more money second semester onwards side I'd prefer to not borrow too little the first time around.

It is awfully quiet around here

Any movement on UC? Are interviews still going on?

I was reading last years thread and it seems like there was sporadic movement in April but they started pulling people from UC in May. Looks like we are in for more waiting.

Accepted this morning! Interviewed mid-late March

Reactions: 3 users
Just FYI, I was told that with federal funding you can always request more or less on your next dispersenent, so you're not stuck with the exact amount you request. You just can't exceed the annual cost of attendance (including rent, books, living expenses, etc), which is determined by the university.

I realize that most funding is loans, however the average indebtedness art schools like Albany are around 150k. I should have realized that the number came from those who were able to fund their education themselves or with the help of their family.

I'm not afraid of the debt so to speak, just trying to figure out how to minimize it, ie how much is actually needed for cost of living. I can likely turn down more money second semester onwards side I'd prefer to not borrow too little the first time around.

Highly likely that I will be turning down this acceptance after I got another offer as i don't expect aid to be worse at the other school.

Hope it comes to one of yall when it happens in the next week or so!

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know when the AMC revisit is? Is there even a revisit?
Thanks!

Just FYI, I was told that with federal funding you can always request more or less on your next dispersenent, so you're not stuck with the exact amount you request. You just can't exceed the annual cost of attendance (including rent, books, living expenses, etc), which is determined by the university.

I was really disappointed to learn that if you want to buy health insurance off of an exchange, that amount has to come from the school's cost of attendance. Kind of ironic that I'll be a med student with very little real coverage, if any. It seems most schools will only increase what they give you if you buy THEIR insurance.

I'm interviewing next week and I have a quick question for those who have interviewed. Do the interviewers have a copy of your AMCAS?

I'm interviewing next week and I have a quick question for those who have interviewed. Do the interviewers have a copy of your AMCAS?

it's an MMI that's not really focused on you as an individual applicant. they don't have info on you

Members don't see this ad :)

I can't believe they're still interviewing to be honest! They go super late. I thought jeff was late with an april 8th interview day.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I can't believe they're still interviewing to be honest! They go super late. I thought jeff was late with an april 8th interview day.
I know! It must be the last interview date of the cycle (I didn't have any options on the date). When I got the email I was pretty shocked and thought it was a rejection saying thanks for applying.

I know! It must be the last interview date of the cycle (I didn't have any options on the date). When I got the email I was pretty shocked and thought it was a rejection saying thanks for applying.

Good luck! Be yourself. The MMI wasn't all that 'hard' but gave lots of opportunities to talk about things you care about that weren't related to medicine. I spent a few of the stations talking about non-medically related things and it bode well for me.

I actually enjoyed the interview.

Good luck! Be yourself. The MMI wasn't all that 'hard' but gave lots of opportunities to talk about things you care about that weren't related to medicine. I spent a few of the stations talking about non-medically related things and it bode well for me.

I actually enjoyed the interview.

Thanks! I've done MMI at 2 other schools (Upstate and NYMC) and they were pretty enjoyable. We'll see! I love talking about non-medically related things... it's nice to see that we're not just pre-med robots haha.

Thanks! I've done MMI at 2 other schools (Upstate and NYMC) and they were pretty enjoyable. We'll see! I love talking about non-medically related things... it's nice to see that we're not just pre-med robots haha.

Do you have feedback from those two schools? I.e. decisions?

i found the upstate/albany MMIs to be pretty similar. i enjoyed both

I always check this thread to see if there's movement on the list. NOPE.
They are still interviewing. Sighs. More waiting.

Reactions: 1 users
I know that feel bro....just hang in there it's almost over !

I'm pretty grateful that April 30th is the new deadline. I was looking at last year's thread, and subtracting two weeks from the posting of each UC acceptance haha. Does anyone know how much interview performance vs. Numbers and EC's are factored into our rankings post-interview?

I'm pretty grateful that April 30th is the new deadline. I was looking at last year's thread, and subtracting two weeks from the posting of each UC acceptance haha. Does anyone know how much interview performance vs. Numbers and EC's are factored into our rankings post-interview?

What do you mean April 30th is the new deadline? Deadline for what? Did I miss something?

What do you mean April 30th is the new deadline? Deadline for what? Did I miss something?
April 30 is the deadline for accepted students to accept or decline their offers to medical schools....so that means after April 30 all of us UC'ers can hear potentially good news!

April 30 is the deadline for accepted students to accept or decline their offers to medical schools....so that means after April 30 all of us UC'ers can hear potentially good news!

Thank you

This gives me something to look forward too instead of watching my email NOT boil lol

That's pretty nuts... decisions decisions... so much to think about.

Given that I was on fap and my parents have no real finances so to speak, yes.
how long after you were accepted/completed the aid forms did you hear back? i still haven't gotten my aid packet yet (though i'm expecting all loans anyway)

how long after you were accepted/completed the aid forms did you hear back? i still haven't gotten my aid packet yet (though i'm expecting all loans anyway)

I think it was around a week if not a hair longer, but I had stuff in around the priority deadline.

You can't be excused from it, no. We couldn't, anyway. The laptop we got is pricy, but we paid approximately MSRP and got a full copy of Office thrown in. You can't get anything equivalent in terms of performance, size, battery life, and build quality for significantly less, though you can certainly get by with a different machine. A number of people in our class sold theirs right away.

Just to be sure, there's absolutely nothing we can do at this point to help our chances off the UC/alternate list, correct?

Can any UC people fill out the financial aid app? Seems we need a log in...

i thought i remember from the interview day that albany was pass/fail -- does anyone know? i'm reading this: http://www.amc.edu/Academic/Undergraduate/EvaluationStudentPerformance.cfm

Medical students at Albany Medical College are graded utilizing a modified pass-fail system. The grades Excellent, Good, Marginal and Unsatisfactory may be awarded as described below. Distinguished performance is recognized by awarding the grade Excellent with Honors. Students whose performance is below the Good level may be given the opportunity to bring performance up to a passing level through individually arranged remedial exercises followed by re-evaluation.

...and that does not sound like pass/fail.

The vast majority of students get a G for a given theme. A small handful at the top get an E or EH, a few get an M, sometimes someone gets a U. It's not really pass/fail but it's close.

I decided to withdraw my acceptance from AMC last week to attend another school (Medical College of Georgia). Hopefully one of you can take that spot!

Hey guys! Just curious how long an offer of acceptance off the waitlist is valid after April 30th? I'll be out of the country and contact from May 1st through May 12th so I wanted to let my brother know what to expect if a call or email comes! Thanks and good luck to all!

Hey guys! Just curious how long an offer of acceptance off the waitlist is valid after April 30th? I'll be out of the country and contact from May 1st through May 12th so I wanted to let my brother know what to expect if a call or email comes! Thanks and good luck to all!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been hearing three days? any confirmation on this would be great though =P

i thought i remember from the interview day that albany was pass/fail -- does anyone know? i'm reading this: http://www.amc.edu/Academic/Undergraduate/EvaluationStudentPerformance.cfm

Medical students at Albany Medical College are graded utilizing a modified pass-fail system. The grades Excellent, Good, Marginal and Unsatisfactory may be awarded as described below. Distinguished performance is recognized by awarding the grade Excellent with Honors. Students whose performance is below the Good level may be given the opportunity to bring performance up to a passing level through individually arranged remedial exercises followed by re-evaluation.

...and that does not sound like pass/fail.

In the interview I heard that these grades and INTERNAl system, for the purpose of transcripts and residencies it's all pass or fail. But INTERNALLY they use the system explained above, in order to keep track of honors and who needs help.

In the interview I heard that these grades and INTERNAl system, for the purpose of transcripts and residencies it's all pass or fail. But INTERNALLY they use the system explained above, in order to keep track of honors and who needs help.
hm, but the fact that it's tracked makes me wonder whether the dean/whoever mentions it in the letters to residency directors. any insight, @jonnythan ? also, while we're here (and i know second look was today, but i couldn't make it)

is lecture attendance mandatory?
are lectures recorded so we can re-watch at home?

i swear i made notes of this kind of stuff at my interview day, but i can't find it now

I don't really know. Grades count for AOA, and I think there's something about finishing in the top third of your class that goes in your letter or something, but that's just something I heard. It's not like it really matters. Study and do your best and your grades will be what they will be.

Lecture attendance is not mandatory, though certain lectures and classes are. They're not frequent; maybe once a week or so. All lectures except patient presentations are generally recorded in video and audio, as well as livestreamed.

Accepted today via e-mail off the UC list!

First acceptance, I'm losing my mind right now!!

Reactions: 12 users
Congratulations to you!!! Do you mind sharing your stats please?

Yeah no problem. OOS. Interviewed Oct. UC in January. Undergrad GPA 3.6. MCAT 35. Current Master's in Biomedical Sciences student and sent in my current grades in December.

Thank you everyone! Good luck to you all :].

I was waiting to hear about UC movement, but withdrew my app today as I have an acceptance elsewhere and don't want them considering my app when the spot could go to someone without an acceptance. Best of luck to you all!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Withdrew today. Good luck to everyone waiting!

Reactions: 3 users