2014-2015 Albany Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is Albany receptive to official transcripts pre-interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
any other accepted students not get a packet in snail mail yet? how long does that typically take?

I never got anything and I was accepted in December.

Though, I could have totally forgotten that I received something tbh. I doubt it, since it's my only acceptance lol.

is anybody getting accepted off of UC? it seems like I've been waiting forever..

Reactions: 1 users
is anybody getting accepted off of UC? it seems like I've been waiting forever..

you could be waiting until the cycle ends at the end of july... which is when i ultimately got rejected last year.
last year they formed the "alternate list" which was a trimmed down UC towards the end of may... and then it's just more waiting...
good luck to you all

Reactions: 1 user
you could be waiting until the cycle ends at the end of july... which is when i ultimately got rejected last year.
last year they formed the "alternate list" which was a trimmed down UC towards the end of may... and then it's just more waiting...
good luck to you all

yeah, there was just more movement prior to that in last years thread. was hoping we'd have the same

How do
good luck to you all
How does that fit with the traffic rules? Or do they admit a full class up front and UC really is just a wait list? I would think admitting so few people before the April 30th deadline puts them in a bad spot relative to the institutions they compete with for students.

i'm pretty sure they admit a full class and the UC is pretty much a waitlist. from now until the end of may, there will be people who get accepted off the UC and at the end of may, people will get rejected from the UC as they form their alternate list (official waitlist).

i remember them saying, they always interview for a spot in the class and not for waitlists no matter how late you interview in the season because they accept few people from each interview group. but you have to account for 40? people who get admitted through their program... forget what it's called.

this is at least what happened last year

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a bit confused. I distinctly remember the admissions director saying that only a small percent of the class is filled by immediate post-interview acceptances. Then the bulk of the class is accepted off the UC list and whoever's remaining gets put on the waitlist if you haven't already been rejected. He also said the UC list will probably start getting reviewed at the end of February, but he never said that that date was set in stone.

Was anyone else told this? I don't think forums from previous cycles are a good way to gauge these things as a lot of people don't actually post on here. But then again the UC email seems to contradict what the admissions director told my interview group.

UC since Nov. 10.. Please put me out of my misery Albany (preferably with good news)!!

I'm a bit confused. I distinctly remember the admissions director saying that only a small percent of the class is filled by immediate post-interview acceptances. Then the bulk of the class is accepted off the UC list and whoever's remaining gets put on the waitlist if you haven't already been rejected. He also said the UC list will probably start getting reviewed at the end of February, but he never said that that date was set in stone.

Was anyone else told this? I don't think forums from previous cycles are a good way to gauge these things as a lot of people don't actually post on here. But then again the UC email seems to contradict what the admissions director told my interview group.

UC since Nov. 10.. Please put me out of my misery Albany (preferably with good news)!!
We were told the same thing, where the "bulk" of the acceptances would be from the UC list in February. But if I've learned anything over these past months, it's that this application cycle is breaking all previous trends and that Adcom rules/expectations don't really apply. At this point I wouldn't be surprised to get an email Feb 2016 about UC movement

They explained the same thing on my interview day... Based on what they said on interview day and what I've gathered: they accept 10% of interviewees right away, reject a bunch, and then put the deferred candidates in rank order. Once they've finished the interview season they start accepting the deferred candidates (in rank order), then once they've finished those acceptances they'll waitlist the deferred candidates that weren't accepted. But I'm sure puddingbrainnation is right -- this cycle is so crazy I'm sure things will be different than expectations/previous years!

I was also told the exact same thing. I find it frustrating that we consistently get told things throughout this process that end up being completely untrue. if you don't know how the UC will work, wouldn't it be best to just say you don't know? lol I don't really understand, but still hoping for the best.

Last edited:
i didn't say any of the above based on last year's thread. i was an actual applicant last year, placed on UC in feb 2014, placed on alternate list at the end of may, rejected in july.

i'm not trying to freak everyone out but that really is what happened last year. this year i didn't even get an interview here so i have no reason to fabricate a theory. i was simply letting @kiwilemon961 know that the wait could last until july and that being on UC does not guarantee you a good chance of getting accepted.

waiting to hear back is the worst thing ever and i completely understand everyone's position... i was in your shoes last year after being on 3 waitlists and i hope all of you get an acceptance somewhere so as to not go through another cycle of misery. good luck!

Last edited:
My experience: Interviewed 11/04 - UC 11/20 - Accepted 1/15

Hi. I just received an interview invite to Albany. Can anyone tell me about their experience on interview day? What was the interview like? Can any current students tell me anything about the school? Thanks

When did you complete the secondary?

i didn't say any of the above based on last year's thread. i was an actual applicant last year, placed on UC in feb 2014, placed on alternate list at the end of may, rejected in july.

i'm not trying to freak everyone out but that really is what happened last year. this year i didn't even get an interview here so i have no reason to fabricate a theory. i was simply letting @kiwilemon961 know that the wait could last until july and that being on UC does not guarantee you a good chance of getting accepted.

waiting to hear back is the worst thing ever and i completely understand everyone's position... i was in your shoes last year after being on 3 waitlists and i hope all of you get an acceptance somewhere so as to not go through another cycle of misery. good luck!

Congrats to you on having a great cycle this year!

I'm actually thinking about getting a 3 bedroom place to share with one other person near the school. The third room would be a shared storage/study area. I have plenty of furniture for shared spaces. Message me if you're interested.

Any acceptances from 2/18?

Any movement from the UC list?

Rejected just now pre-II, was placed on hold earlier this cycle. Congrats to all of the accepted applicants!

Oy.... Finally finished the finaid app since they had some issues with some of the information that needed to be changed.

Does anyone know what the first day is for our class?

They explained the same thing on my interview day... Based on what they said on interview day and what I've gathered: they accept 10% of interviewees right away, reject a bunch, and then put the deferred candidates in rank order. Once they've finished the interview season they start accepting the deferred candidates (in rank order), then once they've finished those acceptances they'll waitlist the deferred candidates that weren't accepted. But I'm sure puddingbrainnation is right -- this cycle is so crazy I'm sure things will be different than expectations/previous years!

That's actually quite different than what I heard at my interview, but it wouldn't surprise me if that's the new policy. Then we won't expect significant uc movement until April, and maybe sporadically until then if someone who is accepted withdraws.

Is there a facebook group? Has anyone heard about financial aid? This school has been very quiet...

Accepted today via email! Interviewed 3/13. So excited - this is my first acceptance this cycle and I really enjoyed my interview experience and the school.

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted today through email! Interviewed 11/14. My first acceptance of this cycle so I'm feeling so relieved and excited right now!
My stats are 3.46 cGPA, 3.35 sGPA, 34, OOS. Good luck to those still waiting!

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted today through email! Interviewed 11/14. My first acceptance of this cycle so I'm feeling so relieved and excited right now!
My stats are 3.46 cGPA, 3.35 sGPA, 34, OOS. Good luck to those still waiting!

Congrats!!! I have identical stats. Still waiting from September. Were you ever put into the UC status?

Also accepted! :)

Interviewed back in Nov, will be withdrawing. GL

Reactions: 2 users
COngrats to the new acceptances. I am waiting for some movement from the UC list. April will be a very defining month.

Good luck to everyone in suspensse

Reactions: 3 users
gah this is tantalizing....interviewed 11/21 and on the UC list. hoping for good news soon!!

Congrats to all those who've been accepted already!

Did anyone get an aid packet? Mine was all loans. Freaking surprised as heck right now.