2013 Public Health Associate Program (PHAP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
After weeks of waiting and actually I cried about this knowing I won't get it-- I finally got the call.
SF location but didn't specify where.
MONEY matters for me for the relocation even if I do move just at the outskirts of the city...

Input please of ideas where I may be assigned in SF... Thank you!

I was placed in SF too! I'll be working in south san francisco. Have you found any places/areas that you are considering to stay?

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of my friends from college that ended up working in SF live in the East Bay (Oakland, Berkeley, Hawyward, etc). It's cheaper and the BART system makes it a commute where you can zone out or take a nap for the half hour. It's not uncommon for working professionals to be thrown together as roommates to split the cost if you're looking to live in the city (SF) so I'm sure you'll find something that suits you! :)

As for where, most likely in the downtown area. Look up the city/county health department (one in the same). There are a lot of smaller health agencies around due to the diversity of the city's population so there could be a few other options as well.

Thank you so much for your input! I accepted the offer and now, I'll just research the area of affordable living space. I hope to connect with other people who are assigned in SF so we can plan some living arrangements together.

The CDC person who contacted me only said "San Francisco". I don't know where exactly I've been assigned to... Another set of waiting, I think, hahaha!!
So far, I'm just looking around the outskirts of the City and utilize the BART system.
Congrats to us!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was placed in SF too! I'll be working in south san francisco. Have you found any places/areas that you are considering to stay?

The CDC person who contacted me only said "San Francisco". I don't know where exactly I've been assigned to... Another set of waiting, I think, hahaha!!
So far, I'm just looking around the outskirts of the City and utilize the BART system.
Congrats to us!!!

Thanks so much... I hope so. What will be will be I guess! Either way I have to keep it positive. If I'm selected or not I love the support on here!

I wish you the best during your fellowship by the way!
I don't think they would bother calling people to turn them down ;) I hope you're able to get in contact with them soon so you'll know where you were matched! good luck and keep us posted! and thank you!

So glad to hear that people are still hearing back from PHAP!

I'm personally very disappointed to have not heard anything back yet. I know that it is a very competitive program, but I really thought my phone interview went really well (lasted about an hour, my contact was really friendly and engaging and it was really fun answering the situational questions). I just finished my BS in Health Studies and Biological Anthropology, and I have a pretty solid background in public health coursework, as well as experience doing research and workshop coordination for family health centers around campus, and 2 years of volunteer experience as a sexual health educator. I thought for sure I might have been placed on the waitlist, but so far, no news from PHAP.

It's a busy time for all of you right now, but if anybody who was accepted into the program right out of undergrad would be kind enough to give me advice on what I could do in the next year to make myself a more competitive candidate, I would really appreciate it!

Best of luck to you all with moving, and congrats once again!
wow! you are already an extremely competitive candidate, don't give up hope just yet :) I wish you all the best!

so glad to hear that people are still hearing back from phap!

I'm personally very disappointed to have not heard anything back yet. I know that it is a very competitive program, but i really thought my phone interview went really well (lasted about an hour, my contact was really friendly and engaging and it was really fun answering the situational questions). I just finished my bs in health studies and biological anthropology, and i have a pretty solid background in public health coursework, as well as experience doing research and workshop coordination for family health centers around campus, and 2 years of volunteer experience as a sexual health educator. I thought for sure i might have been placed on the waitlist, but so far, no news from phap.

It's a busy time for all of you right now, but if anybody who was accepted into the program right out of undergrad would be kind enough to give me advice on what i could do in the next year to make myself a more competitive candidate, i would really appreciate it!

hey that kind of the same way i feel i have some of the same experince too.

Im still hopeful but i've found another fellowship (nothing as cool as phap in dc...) but i really want to apply myself ugh....i love it so im just going to keep adding to my professional dev. While i wait it out .....i want to move in the process so something will workout!

obraumuller:

You might be eligible for a PhD program, but then again you might not. Depends on which program you apply to and what your academic qualifications are. Much more likely that you could skip the MPH portion of a program if you already have a professional level degree: RN, MD, etc.

Zero guarantee of a federal job at any level after the program. You'll eventually get a job somewhere. What constitutes decent pay is totally up to you. I think GS9 equivalent pay outside the federal govt in a nonsupervisory position is extremely optimistic. I have 10+ years of experience a public health supervisor. I've had an interview to be a county health director where the starting salary range was $91-106K: the county had a nuclear reactor and I would have been responsible for the emergency management plan. That reactor ended up having a minor incident last year. I've also had interviews for similar non-potential nuclear disaster jobs where the salary was only $51-65K. GS9 in most of the US is about $50,000. So if that's all the agency director is getting paid in some locations, the other people working there are getting paid a whole lot less.

I'm not doing anything about housing until if/when I show up at the host site. There's absolutely no way I would rent anything sight unseen: disaster waiting to happen. It seems like half the litigants on Judge Judy/Mathis/Joe Brown rented their apartment/found roommates on Craigslist without the necessary due diligence. Not gonna be me:shrug:

You are at the host site for the entire two years; you can't transfer.

There's usually a 1 year service commitment with a federal agency if they pay for your moving expenses or give you a signing bonus. Since CDC isn't offering any of this, you should be free to leave at any time if you decide the job isn't for you.

I don't know how well known the PHAP program is. But having been a CDC employee makes you stand out in the public health job market. At the end of the program, you get to say that you worked for the CDC: that is all.

You can definitely work in public health without a graduate degree. However, If you want to be a supervisor, you will probably have to get a MPH. It's been a mandatory/preferred qualification for almost every job I have ever even considered applying for.

If I were younger and just out of undergrad, taking the fellowship would be a no-brainer for me: graduate school is still going to be around in 5-15 years. You could also work on the master's and do PHAP at the same time, although I don't know where you would get the tuition money. Spoken as the single, childless person that I am: I don't really have the needs/wants of other people influencing my decisions. What works for you might be totally different.

You are impeccable! Thank you for this.
And I have another question about the acceptance on fms.. For the travel info.. Do we put down our home point of location or our host site location?

I have stalked this forum for months.Currently, I am a research fellow through a NIH funded program and I'm stationed in Rheine, Germany. When I got to Germany I checked my email EVERYDAY, as well as the status of my application, and nothing changed. I even postponed changing the SIM card in my mobile device because I didn't want to miss the call. After a while, I just figured...."well maybe I didn't get the position" :( I was hurt, and distraught but I just continued my studies. :mad:

Yesterday I checked my email, and there it was my PHAP offer! This goes out to everyone that has lost hope! STAY ENCOURAGED! I'll be relocating to Hillsborough, North Carolina and I am excited! Well wishes to everyone and I cannot wait to meet you all in Atlanta.

I've also been placed in New Mexico! I'll be relocating to Albuquerque from Minnesota. Can't wait!

I just received an email that I have been assigned to work at--
San Francisco Department of Public Health!

Has anyone sent in their transcripts yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone been placed in Idaho? Or have any tips of where to live? I got placed in Caldwell ID, about a 40 min drive from Boise... I'm having a hard time trying to find an apartment! :confused:

Hi I just found this blog and I got an offer in Reno, Nevada. I was wondering if anyone else received an offer from there. I am originally from CA Bay area and unfortunately I did not receive an offer for CA.

Please let me know

I'm personally very disappointed to have not heard anything back yet. I know that it is a very competitive program, but I really thought my phone interview went really well (lasted about an hour, my contact was really friendly and engaging and it was really fun answering the situational questions). I just finished my BS in Health Studies and Biological Anthropology, and I have a pretty solid background in public health coursework, as well as experience doing research and workshop coordination for family health centers around campus, and 2 years of volunteer experience as a sexual health educator. I thought for sure I might have been placed on the waitlist, but so far, no news from PHAP.

It's a busy time for all of you right now, but if anybody who was accepted into the program right out of undergrad would be kind enough to give me advice on what I could do in the next year to make myself a more competitive candidate, I would really appreciate it!

Seems like we were fairly similar candidates, right out of school, but I was a bit more science focused. The only major difference that I could figure out is that had a study abroad that put me in contact with people from different cultures and backgrounds. Good luck in the future and I hope you still get a call!

I've also been placed in New Mexico! I'll be relocating to Albuquerque from Minnesota. Can't wait!

AH! Congratulations! Im going to be in Santa Fe alllll the way from North Carolina! Hooraay #TeamNewMexico

Yes, the lady who called me from Atlanta told me to send my transcripts to the PHAP address asap
That's so weird, it seems we're all getting mixed messages, I emailed the phap email address and they told me to wait for HR to contact me before sending anything, on the phap website it says transcripts will need to be sent by July 26, but I think it said July 1 before... ?

OMG, i got a call yesterday. i'm placed in Long Island, NY!! i only chose DC and NY for geographical preference and i'm so happy to be placed in NY (i have to tell you, my family lives in Long Island :))). Congrats everyone!!!

That's so weird, it seems we're all getting mixed messages, I emailed the phap email address and they told me to wait for HR to contact me before sending anything, on the phap website it says transcripts will need to be sent by July 26, but I think it said July 1 before... ?

Same here, I was told to wait until contacted by HR because they will give us a specific address.

I do not know if this is too much, but something to think about. Air Force has a need of Public Health Officer, been a veteran will give you 5 points preference over other people. Personally, I got 108 rating, but I am a disable veteran, and I have MPH. I think a master will help you for sure. Additionally it will qualify you for a GS 9 position.
Good luck

Air Force has a need of Public Health Officer, been a veteran will give you 5 points preference over other people.

I was an Air Force public health officer: they prefer that you be a veterinarian. They will take other professions, but require all the non-veterinarians to have an MPH or MSE. Those not meeting either of these requirements need not apply. Air Force medical command generally meets it retention/recruitment goals without too much difficulty: they can be selective about who they choose.

Hi!
I've been following this thread religiously (but silently) from the beginning! I was accepted and placed in New Orleans so I'll be moving there from NYC. I was wondering if anyone else was placed there or knows anyone there? I'd like to find a roommate ☺

I also wanted to thank everyone- this thread has been such an important place of support and hope through this process. I wish you all luck!
Hey!!! I actually got accepted and I am going to New Orleans as well and looking for a room mate!!! We should definitely link up.

Has anyone received notification that they have NOT been selected?

This may sound insane but believe it or not I received an email on June 28th. It stated that they had notified me on April 18th for the second round. This being the request for a personal statement. They gave me until July 10th to submit it. I thought it was over and that there was no way.... I was going to get in but that email brought some hope. One must consider the fact that relocation isn't as easy as it may sound. I am sure a lot of applicants turned down their offer because of the fact that they don't want to relocate. There may have been 4000 applicants but due to each person's special circumstances the odds of getting a position is way higher than you may think. I would go anywhere! lol :) It's probably one of those year! #keepingmyfingerscrossed
Wow, that's interesting how they are giving you until the 10th to submit your personal statement. I wish we knew how many have accepted the offer so far or how many spots are left. I wonder I'd by Sunday, which is the last day of June, will be the last day of offers since it's supposed to only be through this month.

When did you submit your personal statement and what came next? The Interview? I don't know what are the odds of me getting in still because it is way past....... April 18th. But the fact that they still want to consider me may mean that spots are still available! By now there may be like 5-10 lucky spots with at least 100 highly qualified applicants, waiting for a response or in my case waiting for that interview! Who knows maybe there's 2 more positions and it between me and you lol :p Thank God I applied to grad school as my back up plan. Btw I'm from Boston!

I submitted my personal statement on March 22nd and had my interview the last week of May. I think you have a chance since they are letting submit your personal statement now instead of March. Let's just keep on hoping for the best! :)

I recognized from the most recent post, applicants have recently been accepted to sites on the east coast.

That's good. I'm on the east coast!

Last edited:
I'm just wondering if anyone else has gotten an offer this week?

I'm fustrated I'm beganing to think of letting go! ....but I can't! I havent heard from PHAP or the Other VA office that contacted me recently. Federal hiring is overwhelming & lengthy as I have been "close" to being hired only to never get any follow-up or have the whole thing fall apart. I'm applying other jobs & fellowship! If anyone knows of any opening or fellowships I'd appreciate the infomation. I can work with any population; I work with seniors & children now. I'm in Southern California but more than welling to relocate.

AS ALWAYS IF I HEAR ANYTHING FROM PHAP ILL POST IT HERE

I went to school in Virginia and I was placed in Manassas. I live in northern Virginia so it worked out pretty well for me.

This may sound insane but believe it or not I received an email on June 28th. It stated that they had notified me on April 18th for the second round. This being the request for a personal statement. They gave me until July 10th to submit it. I thought it was over and that there was no way.... I was going to get in but that email brought some hope. One must consider the fact that relocation isn't as easy as it may sound. I am sure a lot of applicants turned down their offer because of the fact that they don't want to relocate. There may have been 4000 applicants but due to each person's special circumstances the odds of getting a position is way higher than you may think. I would go anywhere! lol :) It's probably one of those year! #keepingmyfingerscrossed

I have a master's of public policy. If this is true then they are violating SO MANY Federal hiring guidelines that it's ridiculous. Also, this likely explains the hold up and why they are delaying making selections and updating everyone of their status.

Obviously, they are filling voids in their selection process. Maybe they didn't choose enough finalist veterans or maybe they didn't abide by ranking or preference eligible requirements.

Either way- It is ILLEGAL to select people who have NOT competed in the competitive process after deadlines, register lists and rankings candidates have been selected. If they are to do so, then they must CANCEL the entire vacancy and repost the announcement and complete the entire process all over again.

Last edited:
Anyone else get the email to begin the background screening? I received it last week!

I was an Air Force public health officer: they prefer that you be a veterinarian. They will take other professions, but require all the non-veterinarians to have an MPH or MSE. Those not meeting either of these requirements need not apply. Air Force medical command generally meets it retention/recruitment goals without too much difficulty: they can be selective about who they choose.
To become an officer people do not need a Master's degree. They only need 60 credit hour and a commitment to finish a bachelor degree with in certain amount of time.

To become an officer people do not need a Master’s degree. They only need 60 credit hour and a commitment to finish a bachelor degree with in certain amount of time.

To become an officer in general, the above, along with the 21+ age requirement, may be true. But to become a public health officer (AFSC 43H1 and 43H3), the degree requirements that I specified earlier were true 10 years ago and are still true today.

http://www.airforce.com/careers/detail/public-health-officer/

When did you submit your personal statement and what came next? The Interview? I don't know what are the odds of me getting in still because it is way past....... April 18th. But the fact that they still want to consider me may mean that spots are still available! By now there may be like 5-10 lucky spots with at least 100 highly qualified applicants, waiting for a response or in my case waiting for that interview! Who knows maybe there's 2 more positions and it between me and you lol :p Thank God I applied to grad school as my back up plan. Btw I'm from Boston!

When you interview can you ask the number of positions open?

I posted earlier in this thread about accepting an offer to Reno NV. The PHAP office failed to enter my acceptance into the system and mistakenly presented my offer to someone else

I'm currently in dispute with the office over what they call a "simple miscommunication..a mistake," and it's upsetting to hear they're still soliciting personal statements when I am supposedly waiting for an offer at the "top of the wait list" (thought I don't know how much trust I place in this with how they've been handling the process this year). I was only notified of the office's mistake last week after trying to contact them repeatedly the past few weeks. It's frustrating to know I am well-qualified for this, as validated by my original offer, and then see the offer taken from me because of someone else's mistake.

I'm hoping the OSTLTS can step up and not only fairly address my problem, but start getting accurate information to everyone else (seems no one knows where transcripts go...?).

Last edited:
To become an officer in general, the above, along with the 21+ age requirement, may be true. But to become a public health officer (AFSC 43H1 and 43H3), the degree requirements that I specified earlier were true 10 years ago and are still true today.

http://www.airforce.com/careers/detail/public-health-officer/
The original question said;
‘if anybody who was accepted into the program right out of undergrad would be kind enough to give me advice on what I could do in the next year to make myself a more competitive candidate, I would really appreciate it!"
It was not how to become a Public Health Officer in the Air Force

Do you think they will postpone the start date?

I really hope they consider pushing the start date back! No one has heard from their actual host site and we are supposed to relocate and start in about three weeks. :eek:

Has anyone tried contacting HR about a letter concerning our offer so that we can use it to secure housing?

I just got off the phone with HR and she said she couldn't give me anything since nothing is official yet. She is going to look into it more and let me know.

Has anyone tried contacting HR about a letter concerning our offer so that we can use it to secure housing?

I just got off the phone with HR and she said she couldn't give me anything since nothing is official yet. She is going to look into it more and let me know.

I also sent an email about this yesterday and got the following reply: "Once you are officially hired and are on our roll, then and only then will we be able to be verified
your employment. If you need further assistance you can contact by [email protected] or call."

So... hopefully it's "official" soon. I know I've already done both background checks and am getting fingerprinted tomorrow so hopefully the process will be over soon so we can all start finding housing!