2013 Public Health Associate Program (PHAP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did they contact you about fingerprinting? I haven't heard anything since I faxed in the forms for the background check.

Members don't see this ad.

Right after I sent in the paper background check I got two additional emails, one with instructions for an electronic background check called e-QIP (which is really long) and another connecting me to the fingerprinting location in my area. So if you faxed in your paper one I would think you'd be getting those emails soon.

Right after I sent in the paper background check I got two additional emails, one with instructions for an electronic background check called e-QIP (which is really long) and another connecting me to the fingerprinting location in my area. So if you faxed in your paper one I would think you'd be getting those emails soon.

Yeah me too. I faxed it in 6 days ago (same day they e-mailed me). The only thing I can think of (for finger printing) is I had it done for AmeriCorps, but I don't know if it is equivalent for what they need.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last night, I had dinner with a PHAP associate from the class of 2011. She has mentioned that we just all have to be patient and wait for THAT official letter. Even though we're all scrambling with housing, relocation, background checks, it's not official till that letter/invitation comes in.

She also mentioned to bring an umbrella in Atlanta! One moment it's sunny then rainy the next! They were in Atlanta for TWO WEEKS back then and unfortunately, it's only a week for us. "Make sure to LISTEN and don't be afraid to ask questions if you need any clarifications. One week of training will not be enough so use your resources and people you meet there!"

And finally... Have a credit/debit card with at least $700-800 credit/money in it. Why? Because associates will shoulder the hotel during our stay in Atlanta. We will be reimbursed but it might take 2-3 weeks to get the money back.

Disclaimer: That's her experience being in the 2011 PHAP Class and with the class of 2012, as well. It may be different from us (ex, paying for our own hotel) but it's a good warning, right?

Last night, I had dinner with a PHAP associate from the class of 2011. She has mentioned that we just all have to be patient and wait for THAT official letter. Even though we're all scrambling with housing, relocation, background checks, it's not official till that letter/invitation comes in.

She also mentioned to bring an umbrella in Atlanta! One moment it's sunny then rainy the next! They were in Atlanta for TWO WEEKS back then and unfortunately, it's only a week for us. "Make sure to LISTEN and don't be afraid to ask questions if you need any clarifications. One week of training will not be enough so use your resources and people you meet there!"

And finally... Have a credit/debit card with at least $700-800 credit/money in it. Why? Because associates will shoulder the hotel during our stay in Atlanta. We will be reimbursed but it might take 2-3 weeks to get the money back.

Disclaimer: That's her experience being in the 2011 PHAP Class and with the class of 2012, as well. It may be different from us (ex, paying for our own hotel) but it's a good warning, right?

Very good insight! thanks! You were placed in San Fran right? How is the search for housing coming along? I have been looking non-stop but everything is soooo expensive over there

Very good insight! thanks! You were placed in San Fran right? How is the search for housing coming along? I have been looking non-stop but everything is soooo expensive over there

I'll be renting a room in Daly City. It's owned by a family friend and it was just good timing that one of her tenants was leaving. It'll be a lot of commute for me but its unavoidable in SF where I'm assigned.
As I have heard from other friends who are familiar in the Bay: it's either you pay more and live downtown, less commute -or- pay less rent and lose hours of your life commuting. They have mentioned that SF rentals are really competitive. When you're out and about checking out places, be ready to make a choice right there and then with your check book because it may be gone the next day. Search around the EAST BAY area, different friends have mentioned it to me but I really didn't get the chance to look around.

I'll be renting a room in Daly City. It's owned by a family friend and it was just good timing that one of her tenants was leaving. It'll be a lot of commute for me but its unavoidable in SF where I'm assigned.
As I have heard from other friends who are familiar in the Bay: it's either you pay more and live downtown, less commute -or- pay less rent and lose hours of your life commuting. They have mentioned that SF rentals are really competitive. When you're out and about checking out places, be ready to make a choice right there and then with your check book because it may be gone the next day. Search around the EAST BAY area, different friends have mentioned it to me but I really didn't get the chance to look around.

oh wow! thanks

Has everyone been contacted to do the background check? I got an email saying I would be contacted by HR in the next couple of days, and still nothing (it was like last week). All of this "unofficial" business is making me very nervous!

Has everyone been contacted to do the background check? I got an email saying I would be contacted by HR in the next couple of days, and still nothing (it was like last week). All of this "unofficial" business is making me very nervous!

"That's the federal government for you." As my PHAP friend said. More waiting.. As if waiting for "the" call wasn't enough. Good luck to us!

The original question said;
‘if anybody who was accepted into the program right out of undergrad would be kind enough to give me advice on what I could do in the next year to make myself a more competitive candidate, I would really appreciate it!”
It was not how to become a Public Health Officer in the Air Force

Someone's response to the original question was to look into Air Force public health officer positions, which is an excellent suggestion for those who want public health careers and can tolerate being shot at, etc. But it's absolutely not a viable option for someone right out of undergrad because they won't meet the minimum education requirements to even be considered for the position. It's also not an option for anyone whose time frame for applying/reapplying to PHAP is only one year, because it's a 3 year service commitment.

Original poster would be much better off volunteering at their local AIDS charity, STD clinic, WIC office, etc.

And keep in mind this is a holiday week. Lots of folks on vacation. This reminds me a lot of the Peace Corps process. Just stay on top of all that you can and as is the norm, keep waiting.

Does anyone know if CDC has chosen all 133 associates yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone get located at Balsam Lake, Wisconsin?

No, but I'm from Wisconsin! However, that's so far north it's almost Minnesota, haha. Make sure you bring a winter coat and some good boots!

Anyone going to New Orleans??

Also, I got contacted by them 2 days before the email about the background check. Took them 2 days to do my check and now I'm just waiting on HR so I can submit my transcripts. I sent them to the address on the original job posting on USAJobs just as a precaution but I don't know if they actually got them yet. I guess we'll see. And if you haven't been contacted yet, it's probably because they haven't concluded all the background checks. If people's background checks don't clear, there's a chance the CDC will continue to pull from their pool of interviewed candidates. Hope you all are having a terrific Tuesday. :)

Anyone stationed in north or mid Florida?

Anyone not contacted at all since the confirmation of travel and the invitations to phconnect.? Which in regards to the phap community on phconnect, I haven't even been accepted to yet..

I haven't gotten anything about background checks or any thing.. Do background checks take long?
What do they actually check other than if you have a criminal record that could possibly be halting this process:/?

This is all a bit fishy to me to be honest.. Will this be how available CDC supervisors will be during the yr as well? I hope not!

Staying hopeful.. But I really need to see how much I'll be making bi weekly so I can narrow my apt search... And at my job, i must put my two weeks in before i leave because i must train the new associate hired that eventually takes my place.. Its part of my job description as a Quality assurance representative...that day is like friday at the latest...Also I wanted to know about this looming start date.

I can't imagine all 130 people being settled by 7/29.. It's almost like a scene in a movie thriller where you're like "NOOOO don't dooooo it!! There tricking you!" Lol

To buy/rent an apt or not to buy/rent an apt... That is the question...

Anyone stationed in north or mid Florida?

Anyone not contacted at all since the confirmation of travel and the invitations to phconnect.? Which in regards to the phap community on phconnect, I haven't even been accepted to yet..

I haven't gotten anything about background checks or any thing.. Do background checks take long?
What do they actually check other than if you have a criminal record that could possibly be halting this process:/?

This is all a bit fishy to me to be honest.. Will this be how available CDC supervisors will be during the yr as well? I hope not!

Staying hopeful.. But I really need to see how much I'll be making bi weekly so I can narrow my apt search... And at my job, i must put my two weeks in before i leave because i must train the new associate hired that eventually takes my place.. Its part of my job description as a Quality assurance representative...that day is like friday at the latest...Also I wanted to know about this looming start date.

I can't imagine all 130 people being settled by 7/29.. It's almost like a scene in a movie thriller where you're like "NOOOO don't dooooo it!! There tricking you!" Lol

To buy/rent an apt or not to buy/rent an apt... That is the question...

I was e-mailed about the first step of the background check and was told it will take five days once the information was received. Today is my fifth day and have not yet heard anything. According to the e-mail I received about the check, there are two phases to it and the official offer will not be given until both phases are completed.

But I really need to see how much I'll be making bi weekly so I can narrow my apt search...

For those who don't already know what the annual salary for their location is supposed to be, this is the link to the OPM salary tables. You simply select the table for your geographic area. GS-5, Step 1 is your pay rate: $33,000 give or take. Unless you are in/near a large city, you should be using the "rest of USA" table.

http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/salaries-wages/2013/general-schedule/

So, now that you know your basic salary, divide by 26. There are 26 pay periods per year. You now have your pay before taxes. Deduct 5% for your TSP contribution: it's like a 401k. You don't have to contribute, but you should because the government matches your contributions up to 5%. Deduct something for your health insurance. Again, you don't have to participate but you probably should. The Blue Cross PPO costs $85 per pay period; there are some HMO's that cost less. Whatever amount you have remaining is what will be taxed. Maybe you get to take home about 65% of it: might be a little more but it doesn't hurt to be conservative when doing financial planning. At the end of the day, most people will probably take home $750-800 per pay period during the first year. The following pay calculator might also help.

http://www.adp.com/tools-and-resour...l-calculators/salary-paycheck-calculator.aspx

HR Official Offers
"...there has been a small delay with Human Resources making official offers for the PHAP positions. We expect that calls will be made the week of July 8. "

Travel to Atlanta for the August 5-9 Training and Orientation
"...During the week of July 29th, you'll receive more information about your travel and the procedures you are to follow. As CDC employees, all your expenses (airfare and hotel) are either paid directly (airfare) or reimbursed to you (hotel, per diem for your meals, baggage fees).

Excerpts from an email I just received few minutes ago. Waiting game at its finest!
My apologies if this doesn't help people who have had offers but not the "official offer" and in a current limbo with their current jobs.
Reminder, tomorrow is a holiday.

Was anyone asked to bring a personal vehicle to their host site?

Also has anyone heard about their specialties yet?

So, after months of stress- I have been contacted and offered a place with a Federal agency that is NOT PHAP. Not only have I been offered a place but I will be starting out at the GS-8 level as a permanent employee in my dream location at my dream Federal agency!!!

Guys, don't give up or become discouraged by PHAP if you have not been contacted for a place. It could be next week or next year before PHAP makes their selections, so put away your phone and log onto USAjobs.gov and feel out for positions. Also, remember that the Federal government hires differently.

Obtain a firm understanding of how they hire and what they look for and achieve to become that. Learn Merit System principles, gain an understanding of preference and status candidacy, and also be able to tailor your resume to the job vacancy in a way that you will be considered most qualified. If you guys have any questions about how the system works, or is supposed to work because clearly that is not always the case (PHAP), then private message me.

Cheers :)

So, after months of stress- I have been contacted and offered a place with a Federal agency that is NOT PHAP. Not only have I been offered a place but I will be starting out at the GS-8 level as a permanent employee in my dream location at my dream Federal agency!!!

Guys, don't give up or become discouraged by PHAP if you have not been contacted for a place. It could be next week or next year before PHAP makes their selections, so put away your phone and log onto USAjobs.gov and feel out for positions. Also, remember that the Federal government hires differently.

Obtain a firm understanding of how they hire and what they look for and achieve to become that. Learn Merit System principles, gain an understanding of preference and status candidacy, and also be able to tailor your resume to the job vacancy in a way that you will be considered most qualified. If you guys have any questions about how the system works, or is supposed to work because clearly that is not always the case (PHAP), then private message me.

Cheers :)

Congratulations! That's amazing news and good luck! :)

Was anyone asked to bring a personal vehicle to their host site?

Also has anyone heard about their specialties yet?

I was told that my assignments would require a personal vehicle. I also remember it stating my specialties when I first accepted the unofficial offer on FMS.

I dont know about anyone else, but I'm getting really pumped. The security stuff will take time, I'm not stressing about it. Sounds like if something is missing from all this preliminary work that we have time to make it up in August. And that T/F test...looks easy. Not to worry.

Has anyone joined that PhConnect site?

Also, let's be real. I'm not ready to leave my friends or my partner. That will be the worst part :\

I dont know about anyone else, but I'm getting really pumped. The security stuff will take time, I'm not stressing about it. Sounds like if something is missing from all this preliminary work that we have time to make it up in August. And that T/F test...looks easy. Not to worry.

Has anyone joined that PhConnect site?

Also, let's be real. I'm not ready to leave my friends or my partner. That will be the worst part :\

Me too and yes I'm on phconnect! Add me!:
Name's

Anthwan Omar Braumuller

Did anyone get suspended from the phconnect site? I got an email saying congrats on your 'tentative offer' but phconnect is not accessible to the 2013 class. Is that anyone else as well?
I'm beginning to get nervous, since I have movers coming tomorrow to move me and my family across the country.

Did anyone get suspended from the phconnect site? I got an email saying congrats on your 'tentative offer' but phconnect is not accessible to the 2013 class. Is that anyone else as well?
I'm beginning to get nervous, since I have movers coming tomorrow to move me and my family across the country.

I received the same message as well regarding phConnect.... Good luck on your move! I really hope we all get a better idea of what we're supposed to do than going in blind...

I got it as well. I think as long as no one as a criminal record or anything weird going on they should be fine. Don't forget this is the federal government so they just want to make sure everything is fine befor they just hand us access to everything. Although I must say they have an odd way of presenting things to us.

Has anyone else not been contacted by HR for the background check yet? I am starting to get nervous!

Has anyone else not been contacted by HR for the background check yet? I am starting to get nervous!

I have yet to be contacted as well. This whole process is making me nervous and I would hate for any one of us to get screwed over because this whole process is asking us to just have blind faith. It's 20 days before we have to report and most of us have significant moves to make and if I wait till the official offer is in it might leave me with only a week to get to the other side :( So I'm just running on blind hope that this will not turn into an epic mess, since my house here is being packed right now and I have a tenant moving into my house in 10 days.

Hey Guys,

I am currently in the midst of a 60 day secret security clearance for my job offer. During the time I have been preparing for it (and yes, it has been grueling), I have discovered new Federal jargon that you all may want to Google.

First, there is a BIG DIFFERENCE between being offered a 'tentative offer' and a 'conditional offer' for Federal employment. Depending on how it is being communicated to you- I would highly advise everyone Google this before terminating your leases or freezing your job searches.

One means you have the job pending a good background check (there is a funded position waiting on you) and the other means that they could yank the job away from you for almost any small reason or place you on a waiting list. So, keep focused and be smart guys!!

Good Luck!!!!!

I have yet to be contacted as well. This whole process is making me nervous and I would hate for any one of us to get screwed over because this whole process is asking us to just have blind faith. It's 20 days before we have to report and most of us have significant moves to make and if I wait till the official offer is in it might leave me with only a week to get to the other side :( So I'm just running on blind hope that this will not turn into an epic mess, since my house here is being packed right now and I have a tenant moving into my house in 10 days.

I just spoke with a lady from the CDC and she said HR is moving real slow, that is normal and they told her that they will send out the official offers by Thursday ( not 100% positive). It is an unofficial offer still because she said that the background check is important and that if your background check turns something up then that is why they cannot say for sure you have the position. I also asked about a proof of income paper for renting apartments and she told me to send an email to the phap@cdcgov which I did and will let all know when they reply.

She also said the date to start July 29th is still set.

Good luck to all relocating, we can do this but I agree this is a scary yet exciting time. See you all in Atlanta. :)

Hey team, I was placed in Anchorage, so any tips on fighting bears would be appreciated. Maybe the ol' one-two will work well. Also, do we not need to worry about doing a background check until we receive this unofficial offer in the mail? No place to send transcripts? Also, I'm assuming it is completely normal to not have received any sort of job address, supervisor name, or job description. Seems like that is the typical experience so far?

Looking forward to meeting you all in ATL!

Anyone heard anything? I've heard a little more about security processing but nothing more about more information about the host site.

I just received an email with contact information of a person at my host site. No further directions. I don't know if this makes it official or not. That's all got for y'all today. :)

Me too! Obviously emailed them right away, haha. Still no address though, so hopefully they respond quickly!

Did you contact your supervisor once you received their contact info from PHAP or did they just get in touch with you?

I received my host site information and just sent a short message relaying that I want the communication to be open between us. It works!
My contact wasn't in today (out-of-office auto-reply) but I was fortunate that she checked her email and sent me a welcome message and asked questions about me.

If you have info for your host site, go for it! I don't suggest to ask them about transcripts and background checks though since CDC is the one who's in-charge of that.

Anyone else placed in LA? It might be nice to have someone to live with in such a big city :)

Does anyone know if we are being paid starting on the 29th? Not that I'm that greedy, but I'd like to know. I haven't seen a W4 form yet so I was just curious.

Does anyone know if we are being paid starting on the 29th? Not that I'm that greedy, but I'd like to know. I haven't seen a W4 form yet so I was just curious.

Everyone's starting the 29th. I believe that within that 1st week, that's when all W4 and other documents that we need to sign will be done. My friend just told me that because of some changes in the "hiring process", it's making everything so slow for us :-/