2013-2014 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Badge0 or any other OOS person: I've been trying to figure out online what the total COA will be for OOS. I did the calculations a few weeks ago and got in the 70k range even without housing? Did I do it incorrectly? Also, does UIC offer in-state tuition for years 2-4 or no? Sorry I'm sure I could figure this out if I searched around enough but figured someone here may have already done it. Appreciate the help SDN...
The above website is what I used. Tuition and all the loan/school fees will be around 78K for OOS. Housing + food 14.5K. In their estimate they also include books, personal expenses, travel to be 8K. Totaling ~98K.
You can take a year off as mentioned by Pedro to obtain residency. The only other way is to have a spouse who is a resident of Illinois. From the web: "A person can gain residency through his or her spouse if that spouse is a bona fide resident of Illinois."

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know what address we send our final transcripts to? Thanks!

The above website is what I used. Tuition and all the loan/school fees will be around 78K for OOS. Housing + food 14.5K. In their estimate they also include books, personal expenses, travel to be 8K. Totaling ~98K.

and if you want to be even more accurate then add in the 2 M2/M3 summer semesters which are not reflected in yearly tuition break downs that they give you...

M2 summer $25,500 (OOS:tuition+fees+books) + M3 summer $25,500 (OOS:tuition+fees+books) = $51,000 / 4 years = $12,750

So add $12,750 (OOS:tuition+fees+books) to every year.

calculating actual cost per year at UIC takes some homework & is totally shady practice on the school's part.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Finally got a rejection letter + final decision (pre-interview) in the mail today. Thanks for letting me know it took you almost a year to get around to doing that! :laugh:

Withdrew officially a few days ago, hopefully it goes to one of you! I was assigned the Chicago campus, btw. Good luck!

Does anyone know what the official email is to withdraw? I tried the medadmit one about a month ago and never got confirmation.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the official email is to withdraw? I tries the medadmit one about a month ago and never got confirmation.
I would give them a call. I never got a confirmation but I called and they confirmed my withdraw went through.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know what the official email is to withdraw? I tries the medadmit one about a month ago and never got confirmation.

I only e mailed Medadmit and my withdrawal went through and was updated on the status online. Never received any e mail or confirmation though.

Still waiting for my $100 refund though. Withdrew first week of April

just got an acceptance into UMed!

I only e mailed Medadmit and my withdrawal went through and was updated on the status online. Never received any e mail or confirmation though.

Thanks for the info. Just checked and it seems like it worked. They should really add an email response.

Members don't see this ad :)

I emailed the same one too in mid-March and no response. Still no refund... I assume they'll send us a check, right?

Has anyone been reviewed or accepted in april yet?

Not me. Called today. No change. Apparently the waitlist already exists. I thought they waited until the end of next month.

My status still " Decision Pending" post interview in 3rd week of February. Has your status changed?
Nope. I interviewed back in December and have received 3 "on hold" emails :/
I called the admissions office last week and they said that there was an adcom meeting in April and she believes that they did update online statues. I'm not sure if they have reviewed applicants who have been passed over during the April meeting or if they were just updating pre-interview applicant statuses.

how do we tell them if we're deciding to come here for sure by May 15? or is it assumed that if we decline our other acceptances and don't say anything else to UIC that we are going here?

how do we tell them if we're deciding to come here for sure by May 15? or is it assumed that if we decline our other acceptances and don't say anything else to UIC that we are going here?

In your acceptance packet, there should be a confirmation letter that you sign stating whether or not you are accepting your seat and you are supposed to mail that back to UIC.

This is a question for current Chicago campus students: I am STILL deciding between here and Rush and a main argument I have heard in favor of Rush is that the students are "happier." Do you feel like students at UIC are less than happy, and if so, what do you think are the contributing factors (are certain types of students happier than others at UIC)?? Thanks in advance.

This is a question for current Chicago campus students: I am STILL deciding between here and Rush and a main argument I have heard in favor of Rush is that the students are "happier." Do you feel like students at UIC are less than happy, and if so, what do you think are the contributing factors (are certain types of students happier than others at UIC)?? Thanks in advance.

This is a little bit of a tough question, because nobody has much basis for comparison, never having attended both schools themselves :p. I will say that in my class there's a lot of camaraderie and generally a friendly vibe. At any med school, I think peers are also around for commiseration, and we do a fair bit of that too :). I would assume Rush people are friendly and that they commiserate together too though. Of course certain people are going to be happier in certain groups/certain groups will 'gel' better than others, but that's hard to get a feel for without experiencing it yourself unfortunately. The other thing is that I think while certain undergrad colleges have reputations for having certain kinds of students (and therefore that kind of person might want to attend), medical schools all draw lots of people from different schools and backgrounds, and I think they all end up having lots of different kinds of people.

What I can say for sure about next year's UIC class is that it will likely a) be bigger than Rush's class (not sure on the exact numbers but my class is ~180), and b) include more underrepresented minorities. For me, the class being big is fine, not a huge negative but not a really positive thing for me either (although it make it a pretty sure thing that you'll find people with similar interests to yours). The diversity of my class, on the other hand, is something that I super appreciate and a huge draw to UIC for me.

Just my 2 cents :). Congrats and good luck choosing - you can't really go wrong at this point!

ummm... there are definitely some better points of distinction between RUSH and UIC than something as arbitrary as student happiness level.

For example...

do you like integrated (systems) curriculum? go RUSH
or do you like traditional curriculum? go UIC
do you like being more independent in a large class (~190) at a public institution? go UIC
or do you like more structure in a small class (~130) at a private school? go RUSH
do you want to go into academic medicine? UIC may be a better choice
do you want to learn clinical medicine at awesome/infamous County? go RUSH

The list could go on but I just think answering fact based questions like this is more helpful than a happiness-o-meter.

Yes I had considered all of those points below (perhaps ad nauseum) and it comes out pretty equally--I want to go into academic medicine but think I would probably like the integrated curriculum better. I would love to rotate through county and Rush hospitals. I really want to continue doing research. I don't care that much about class size. UIC is cheaper w the scholarship I got. UIC seems to have the edge with matching. I am interested in preventative medicine and Rush has a great dept.

My point is that this is not the ONLY deciding factor by far, but to me it is an important factor. My well being for the next four years will impact my success as a medical student and thereafter. I just don't want to make a decision I will regret.

ummm... there are definitely some better points of distinction between RUSH and UIC than something as arbitrary as student happiness level.

For example...

do you like being more independent in a large class (~190) at a public institution? go UIC
or do you like more structure in a small class (~130) at a private school? go RUSH

The list could go on but I just think answering fact based questions like this is more helpful than a happiness-o-meter.

Yes I had considered all of those points below (perhaps ad nauseum) and it comes out pretty equally--I want to go into academic medicine but think I would probably like the integrated curriculum better. I would love to rotate through county and Rush hospitals. I really want to continue doing research. I don't care that much about class size. UIC is cheaper w the scholarship I got. UIC seems to have the edge with matching. I am interested in preventative medicine and Rush has a great dept.

My point is that this is not the ONLY deciding factor by far, but to me it is an important factor. My well being for the next four years will impact my success as a medical student and thereafter. I just don't want to make a decision I will regret.

One point that might be worth considering is that UIC students can also rotate at County/Stroger. Here's a link with maps of the UIC clerkship sites.

I thought I'd like the integrated curriculum better too but have generally liked UIC's curriculum and actually found it to be more integrated than I had expected. In the first semester of M1, topics from Histo and Anatomy are well integrated, and Physio is roughly in step as well if IIRC. Also the first part of Spring semester is basically an integrated neuro block with Neuroanatomy, Neurophysiology and Brain & Behavior. I am definitely looking forward to focusing more on pathophysiology next year, but our classes this year have always also brought in clinical aspects and a lot of times our exams have focused on clinical applications, so the curriculum is not completely normal M1/abnormal M2.

Good luck choosing!

Thank you. That was super helpful. :)
One point that might be worth considering is that UIC students can also rotate at County/Stroger. Here's a link with maps of the UIC clerkship sites.

I thought I'd like the integrated curriculum better too but have generally liked UIC's curriculum and actually found it to be more integrated than I had expected. In the first semester of M1, topics from Histo and Anatomy are well integrated, and Physio is roughly in step as well if IIRC. Also the first part of Spring semester is basically an integrated neuro block with Neuroanatomy, Neurophysiology and Brain & Behavior. I am definitely looking forward to focusing more on pathophysiology next year, but our classes this year have always also brought in clinical aspects and a lot of times our exams have focused on clinical applications, so the curriculum is not completely normal M1/abnormal M2.

Good luck choosing!

then go where is cheaper, if you don't care about any of the major differences between the schools - just double/triple check the numbers on UIC cost because UIC likes to hide a bunch of extra fees and extra semesters from their baseline tuition schedule. anyhoo, seems like you gonna think the grass is greener no matter what, but i like both schools so *shrug* & students are happy at both schools.

Last edited:

Finishing up M3 year here. I think my class is pretty awesome! I haven't met anyone genuinely unhappy in med school. There's ups and downs depending on upcoming exams, what rotation you're on, etc, but that's going to exist no matter what school you go to.

For example...

I'd actually argue that the UIC curriculum is far closer to integrated than traditional. We can also rotate through Cook County and, regardless of which school you go to, a significant chunk of studying will be independent. Besides Cook County, there's lots of other awesome sites as well, including UIH, the VA, and the Advocate system.

Feel free to ask any more questions.

Last edited:
I was just going over the requirements for applying and I was wondering how strict they are about the behavioral sciences requirement? I have AP credit for AP Psych and then took sociology in college. So that 2/3. Would AP psych and then socio count as a progression? Thanks!

Withdrew from my spot at the Chicago campus! Sorry to take so long to the waitlisters but was waiting on financial aid info from another school. Really hard to turn down the scholarship they gave me. Best of luck to those who want to be in Chicago for the next 4!!!

Pretty sure that does not count as a progression (if by progression you mean "Two of the above three courses completed must be in the same field of study"). Since you have AP psych credit and a sociology class you just need to take either one more psych or one more sociology course.

http://medicine.uic.edu/cms/One.aspx?portalId=443021&pageId=19888504

The MSAR indicates AP credit for psychology is fine for UIC, but I do recommend emailing them if you want to be completely sure.

But I graduated undergrad, last year. I'm applying this cycle (2014-2015) and I perused the requirements for the colleges I'm considering before but apparently this escaped my attention. So I want to know if every single person applying/accepted has met this requirement? How strict are they in meeting it? I can always take an online course before I begin med school, but is it even worth applying to UIC if I haven't met this requirement? UIC is one of my top choices :(

But I graduated undergrad, last year. I'm applying this cycle (2014-2015) and I perused the requirements for the colleges I'm considering before but apparently this escaped my attention. So I want to know if every single person applying/accepted has met this requirement? How strict are they in meeting it? I can always take an online course before I begin med school, but is it even worth applying to UIC if I haven't met this requirement? UIC is one of my top choices :(

You should definitely still apply to UIC! I am accepted here and the admissions office was really awesome about these pre-reqs. I took classes that weren't listed in the departments that count towards this requirement but they definitely still taught relevant material and so I sent in the syllabi for those classes and admissions accepted it. Don't stress too much about this. You can always take an online class the summer before med school if you need to!

You should definitely still apply to UIC! I am accepted here and the admissions office was really awesome about these pre-reqs. I took classes that weren't listed in the departments that count towards this requirement but they definitely still taught relevant material and so I sent in the syllabi for those classes and admissions accepted it. Don't stress too much about this. You can always take an online class the summer before med school if you need to!

Thanks! I've decided to email admissions to get a better idea of what is acceptable. It's good to hear that they are approachable and lenient.

Anyone request to get their campus assignment changed? Have you heard back?

I was just going over the requirements for applying and I was wondering how strict they are about the behavioral sciences requirement? I have AP credit for AP Psych and then took sociology in college. So that 2/3. Would AP psych and then socio count as a progression? Thanks!

In case you were still unsure, I called UIC about this a few months ago. They said that you need 3 behavioural and social sciences courses, with 2 of the 3 courses in the same major. I had only taken 2 psych courses in college at the time, but they said that my AP courses in econ (microecon/macroecon) and any other course would fulfill the requirement. Psychology, sociology, economics, anthropology, and family study courses are all behavioural and social sciences courses (AAMC's BESS classification).

Anyone request to get their campus assignment changed? Have you heard back?
if you look on the facebook group, some girl got transferred to the chicago campus last week after petitioning.

Do any accepted student know how we submit our immunizations? I don't remember receiving instructions....

Yes. Since january. Does anyone know when they make the waitlist?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk