2013-2014 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Being OOS, I went to Second look day and really enjoyed it.
They went through the entire curriculum, research opportunities, student life, scholarships, etc.
Had the opportunity to speak with M1 students at lunch and during tours, who were all very awesome, helpful, and insightful.
They are renovating the M1 classrooms and group spaces over the summer, and hopefully we'll be the first to be able to use those in the fall!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all,

Glad to here about all these acceptances! I was wondering if there was anyone here who applied to the MSP program and has heard back (Yes or no) yet? I was accepted to their bioengineering Phd program with a lab position lined up, and I have done the MSP interview day, but no response yet! The wait and lack of communication is killing me.

Anyone know anything about this or in a similar situation?

Any one who was accepted earlier this month get the email about what site they are placed in?
Got my letter on April 4th.
Submitted preference card on the 7th
not yet-

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got a "no decision" email for March. It was in my spam. :eek:

Last edited:
anyone know where the immunization stuff is on the uic admissions website?

Does anyone who had a UMed interview remember them telling us when we should expect to find out whether or not they accepted us into the program?

Any news on GMED? Anybody else hear anything about interviews or who have interviewed yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did u apply for umed or gmed?
I didn't mainly because I would have been applying only to be placed in chicago and didn't want to compete for a spot that could go to someone who really actually wanted it. What about you?

I didn't mainly because I would have been applying only to be placed in chicago and didn't want to compete for a spot that could go to someone who really actually wanted it. What about you?

I did apply to gmed. So there is still a chance... I wonder if that affected the decision making process... Either way I am very fortunate to be in this position

Third thursday...good luck yall

Reactions: 1 users
i was really hoping UIC would impress me.. but i interviewed at Rockford and didn't get the best vibe from the school there:\ i got placed in Chicago and couldnt afford going to second look so the only impression i got was from rockford back at my interview.. so i decided against attending UIC. it seems like a great school but i'm withdrawing my acceptance soon. good luck to everyone!:)

I was scheduled a GMED interview for next Friday (all interviews wILl take place on that date)

Reactions: 1 users
I did apply to gmed. So there is still a chance... I wonder if that affected the decision making process... Either way I am very fortunate to be in this position
Im still waiting for the email, getting kind of impatient

It's from Kayla Taylor (the same person that sent the UIN email) at 2:00 PM if that helps
Just found it in spam. Got assigned UPR (Peoria) kinda upset but it was my second choice so not too bad.

I got Champaign, I don't even remember that being an option haha. Cool! Champaign here I come, be prepared...

Got placed in UPR Peoria. Found out today via email. It was my 3rd choice.

Looks like a lot of people got placed in peoria. Is there a FB page for peoria campus already or should I make one?

Hi, did you make this one? or is this the link we received as an attachment in our email?
Sorry, I'm at work and cannot log into facebook.
I couldn't find the one mentioned in the attachment so I just made one.

Anyone know if campus assignments can be switched? I live in the Chicago suburbs and prefer to stay near my family b/c it would help financially. Is that a valid reason to request an appeal?

Withdrew last week. Hopefully it goes to someone off the waitlist/hoping to get moved to the Chicago campus.

Reactions: 2 users
UMED rejection pre-II, said spots are full...nervous the big rejection is imminent. Any status changes? Really really bummed. Felt like this program was made for me!

UMED rejection pre-II, said spots are full...nervous the big rejection is imminent. Any status changes? Really really bummed. Felt like this program was made for me!
Full for the program or the campus? My apologies :-(

anyone looking to get an apartment on urbana campus for M1 year, pm me!

Anyone know if campus assignments can be switched? I live in the Chicago suburbs and prefer to stay near my family b/c it would help financially. Is that a valid reason to request an appeal?
I know one guy who was able to get his assigned campus switched (Rockford to Chicago) last year. His mom has health issues and besides him, there's only his younger sister to help look after her. I don't know what they would consider a valid reason, but it doesn't hurt to try. If you do, I hope it works out but if not at least you'll be in state.

Also, I just called the office: there is an adcom meeting this month but she told me that, "they don't tell us when they're meeting" so there could be another round of acceptances in the coming weeks. Fingers crossed.
I hope they did meet this month. Any status updates?

Being OOS, I went to Second look day and really enjoyed it.
They went through the entire curriculum, research opportunities, student life, scholarships, etc.
Had the opportunity to speak with M1 students at lunch and during tours, who were all very awesome, helpful, and insightful.
They are renovating the M1 classrooms and group spaces over the summer, and hopefully we'll be the first to be able to use those in the fall!

Badge0 or any other OOS person: I've been trying to figure out online what the total COA will be for OOS. I did the calculations a few weeks ago and got in the 70k range even without housing? Did I do it incorrectly? Also, does UIC offer in-state tuition for years 2-4 or no? Sorry I'm sure I could figure this out if I searched around enough but figured someone here may have already done it. Appreciate the help SDN...

The cost of tuition
http://www.medicine.uic.edu/UserFil...e/Financial_Aid/1415/1415_COA_Chicago_Est.pdf

I am not an Illinois resident. How can I become a resident for tuition purposes?
If you are a dependent: Your family must live in or move to Illinois. The in-state tuition rate would begin at the start of the next term.
If you are not a dependent: You must live in Illinois for one full year for non-educational purposes. This means you may not attend school for the year you are establishing residency.
http://www.usp.uillinois.edu/residency/res_faq.cfm#faq1

i hope this helps

i know some people defer for a year, find work for a year like teach the princeton review classes