2013-2014 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is anyone interviewing after 02/12? The reason I ask is because I just found out we're getting another snowpocalypse in Atlanta (which is where I'll be driving from), but I'm too scared to reschedule thinking that's the last batch of people they are interviewing.

My original interview was scheduled was for the 19th.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So did you interview today? If yes, how'd it go?

They moved me up a few days so I went Monday. They were great to do that as I had have a feb 21 interview at MSU which I had to drive to. I felt that interview was better than last year (the interviewer apparently said he saw the notes from my last interviewer and said he didn't understand why last year my interviewer said I was incredibly nervous but he said he didn't see a trace of nervousness) and last year I was wait listed. He said the only thing not perfect in my application was my mcat. I hope it ends in good news as after 3 years if I don't get in, I cannot financially afford to apply again even with the financial assistance.

Right now I am in Michigan in the snow wondering why I applied out of the south. If I get back to Georgia without getting into an accident I will be surprised. The more time I spend out of Georgia the more I realise that yes I definitely would prefer to stay in Georgia despite everything.

Reactions: 1 user
Just accepted! Interviewed early December

Reactions: 8 users
You guys are in for a wild ride! Great school to be at. Time will fly.

Reactions: 1 users
Anybody know if they're still sending out ii's

Members don't see this ad :)
Just called admissions to see if there were any meetings cancelled because of snow, or if they would be having more ADCOM meetings past march if they did, things of that sort. So apparently they meet every week now. Fingers crossed everyone!! And congrats to the lucky ones who have been accepted already!

Reactions: 3 users
Just called admissions to see if there were any meetings cancelled because of snow, or if they would be having more ADCOM meetings past march if they did, things of that sort. So apparently they meet every week now. Fingers crossed everyone!! And congrats to the lucky ones who have been accepted already!

Thank goodness! Maybe I will hear some good news soon! I interviewed Feb 17 and I must not have come up last week.

I just received my acceptance email this morning!! Hello class of 2018.

Accepted this morning, interviewed January 31st! I had a wonderful interview and a very non-traditional story to tell. I'm so happy that MCG agreed I have the potential to be a physician...I think I'm still in shock. I keep rereading the acceptance E-mail, to make sure its real. I just can't believe this day is here!

Reactions: 4 users
I really, really don't like this website, but if I was ever to make one post, it would be that I was accepted yesterday morning to MCG. I interviewed on Jan. 13, and my stats are 3.98 GPA and sGPA (BS in Biochemistry), and 29 MCAT (BS:11, PS:10, VR:8).

I'm very excited to join the MCG class of 2018! Good luck to everyone else still waiting to hear from the committee and never lose hope!

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted this morning, interviewed January 31st! I had a wonderful interview and a very non-traditional story to tell. I'm so happy that MCG agreed I have the potential to be a physician...I think I'm still in shock. I keep rereading the acceptance E-mail, to make sure its real. I just can't believe this day is here!
What was your story? And your states?

What was your story? And your states?

Ha! It took me 2 years to figure out how to condense my story for my personal statement... Lets just say very nontraditional. After an incredibly "disadvantaged" upbringing, I graduated from college at 16, then figured out that medicine was my thing half-way through a career in the Navy. I spent 2 years overseas, during half of which, I was training soldiers in Afghanistan. I then worked full-time through all of my prereqs, keeping a 4.0 post-bac GPA; 2 semesters of which I was pregnant. Lots of tutoring, fundraising, research, a lifetime of volunteering, and a smattering of shadowing. Hopefully we'll cross paths at when you get accepted!

Stats? 3.85 sGPA, 3.59 cumulative. MCAT 27. White female on the cusp of 30.

Has anyone from the February interviews heard yet? If they were planning to meet every week, and last week they accepted someone from late January and usually they notify on Fridays, surely February would be hearing by now? Granted I am a mid-February person but you have no idea how much I want to go to MCG after having been wait-listed last year.

Has anyone from the February interviews heard yet? If they were planning to meet every week, and last week they accepted someone from late January and usually they notify on Fridays, surely February would be hearing by now? Granted I am a mid-February person but you have no idea how much I want to go to MCG after having been wait-listed last year.
I feel ya. I read on a thread you went to rabbinical school? Which one? Also what are your stats?

I feel ya. I read on a thread you went to rabbinical school? Which one? Also what are your stats?

Right now I am enrolled in an Orthodox Israeli yeshiva and have been for a few years, I don't want to mention which one but it is listed on my AMCAS with all courses up to submission date. I am earning my pararabbinic part time right now. The pararabbinic is through the Conservative movement and tracks automatically to rabbinical school (not JTS) and gives you credit for the first two years of rabbinical school. However, I am not completely comfortable with the rabbinical school after seeing some of their alums, so I am finishing my pararabbinic and will not be continuing on.

I am being recruited for rabbinical school by three schools right now, and a friend of mine is on the board of directors for HUC and he keeps asking why I am not looking into HUC which would be school number four if you include A's nagging about HUC. I need to improve my Hebrew though as my Hebrew is horrible.

It helps that I used to be clergy in a different religion a long time ago (that information I refused to put on my AMCAS) and I have more Jewish knowledge than most born-Jews have, plus I really enjoy it. My entire life seems to revolve around two things: medicine and Jewish studies. I just wrote a 13 page "responsa" paper on the 6 genders in the Talmud... for fun. It's funny to me that everyone knows me as one of two things. The Future Doctor or The Future Rabbi as I do a lot of medical education, Jewish education, and sometimes Jewish ethics about medical related topics. I do tend to compartmentalize my religious life to a point. My patients do not need a lesson on anything Jewish and my synagogue usually does not need a lecture on health related things.

My stats:

MCAT 27 Q

BS 3.63 (Science), 3.53 (Overall). Plus a MS degree which is 3.8 (Science), 3.7 (Overall). I worked full time (40-60 hours a week) and raised 4 kids during undergraduate and graduate school all of which I was also doing full time.

If it were not for Russian in 2007, my post-bacc would be a perfect 4.0 including all the Organic Chemistry and such.

Non-trad (32), gay and transsexual, mildly disabled although it should not affect my ability to practice medicine as I have my neurologist's blessing (It was unknown the extent of the damage during undergrad and graduate school, but I am much better now), married with 4 kids, underrepresented minority (mixed race), disadvantaged background (including 3 times homeless)

Extensive extracurricular activities: former business owner, former consultant to the CDC, 350+ medical volunteering hours, 400+ shadowing hours, literally thousands of hours of non-medical volunteering, dozens of leadership positions at national science organizations, several time guest medical school lecturer at a top 20 medical school, multiple publications (1 book chapter, 3 journal articles, and I think 9 conference presentations), traveled to three countries and 46 states. Can read about three languages right now, I used to be able to read more. I'm sure I am missing lots of things.

Letters from a very well known Internist in Georgia at Grady, a rabbi letter (I was told to), letters from a former boss who supervised consulting work at the CDC, committee letter included a psychologist, a chemist, an astronomer, a biophysicist, and a biologist. I think I had another volunteering letter and another physicist letter somewhere, but not sure if those last two were sent to MCG.

I strongly, strongly prefer MCG to be my medical school. I was waitlisted last year and it just killed me.

Last edited:
If you went through this last year, then I would expect you to know there is no rhyme or reason to the order you hear back. Even though some people who interviewed in January may have heard back, there are people from much earlier dates that are still waiting in silence. Don't worry, everybody should finally hear back by the end of this month.

If you went through this last year, then I would expect you to know there is no rhyme or reason to the order you hear back. Even though some people who interviewed in January may have heard back, there are people from much earlier dates that are still waiting in silence. Don't worry, everybody should finally hear back by the end of this month.

Actually last year they gave an approximate date range at the interview of when one is likely to hear back. I heard near the end of that range.

They did not do that this year and the meeting times are different than they were were last year. They are meeting every week as opposed to every two weeks so I feel it is a valid question, especially since I think Friday was a notification date and so far no one has posted an update.

Actually last year they gave an approximate date range at the interview of when one is likely to hear back. I heard near the end of that range.

They did not do that this year and the meeting times are different than they were were last year. They are meeting every week as opposed to every two weeks so I feel it is a valid question, especially since I think Friday was a notification date and so far no one has posted an update.

My guess is you were lucky to have heard in your range, given how many people were still on here last year uncertain of when they will hear back. Typically toward the end they sort of get silent while they are finishing up all the applications and finalizing the waitlist and acceptances. There is typically one massive push where about half the people find out their status that occurs sometime in March.

Does anyone know somebody who has done the Pre-matriculation summer program at MCG in the past? And whether it was good for them? Has anyone been invited and is thinking of doing it this year?

Does anyone know somebody who has done the Pre-matriculation summer program at MCG in the past? And whether it was good for them? Has anyone been invited and is thinking of doing it this year?
Good friend of mine did it in the summer of 2013, said it was an immense help for her during the first semester. Less during this current semester.

I vaguely recall hearing about the pre-matriculation program. I would absolutely be interested. Is it invite only?

So I finally made an account late in this cycle because I couldn't stand it anymore not to be able to ask questions. I applied early decision with a 3.8+ GPA and a 30 MCAT and wouldn't you know it they decided to make a minimum for their MCAT/GPA this year and I was off by one lousy point. :bang:
Thought I give some background since I feel I know you all so well since I've been dilligently following this post.
Does anyone know the final date one could hear back by? I'm sure for those of us that are left in the dark (which I'm sure it's alot but it feels like it's only me :lame:) are eagerly wondering the same.

I am planning on going to the pre-matric program. From what I understand it is geared towards people who have been out of their science courses for a while (non-trads w/o post-bac/masters), URMs, and disadvantaged/diverse backgrounds.

So I finally made an account late in this cycle because I couldn't stand it anymore not to be able to ask questions. I applied early decision with a 3.8+ GPA and a 30 MCAT and wouldn't you know it they decided to make a minimum for their MCAT/GPA this year and I was off by one lousy point. :bang:
Thought I give some background since I feel I know you all so well since I've been dilligently following this post.
Does anyone know the final date one could hear back by? I'm sure for those of us that are left in the dark (which I'm sure it's alot but it feels like it's only me :lame:) are eagerly wondering the same.

I think traditionally they send the last initial acceptances and put the wait list in order around mid-March. 3/14/12 was when I was accepted (yay Pi day!). People come off the wait list pretty steadily, especially in May, but I have people in my class that came off late June (maybe July).
Take a look at previous years' threads to see past time frames.
Good luck!

Last year the final notices didn't get out until around the very end of March, but I believe that will be the absolute latest you will have to wait to hear something.

I've heard nothing at all and MDapplicants also doesn't show anyone updating in the past three weeks or so.

I've heard nothing at all and MDapplicants also doesn't show anyone updating in the past three weeks or so.

Well to me that means they will be doing a huge overall in the next week or so. Only a little while longer.

Approximately how many people get accepted from the last big push at the end of March? how many get wait-listed?

Hi all!

I just want to spread some positive vibes to y'all. I am a current M1 at MCG. During my app cycle, I interviewed in October and didn't hear back until the end of March (it was rough waiting...) finding out that I had been waitlisted. I was disappointed, but thankful that I had a backup (I applied to some public health schools to get an MPH).

I waited months and months hoping that I would get off the waitlist. April - nothing. May - nothing. June - nothing. I was attached to my phone, constantly checking my email. By the time July came around, I faced the reality that I wasn't going to medical school and instead was going to get my MPH and try applying again. I was all set to attend Columbia for an MPH in Healthcare Management. I moved in with some family in NYC and was coming to terms with this new path my life seemed to be taking.

Then, 10 days before orientation at MCG, I got a phone call from Ms. DeVaughn, saying that she had a seat available for me. It was absolutely crazy. In a 5 minute period that that phone call took place, my path changed - AND I had to be in Augusta in 10 days time ready to start medical school. August was a whirlwind and I don't think I finally landed on my own two feet until September when I finally found a place to live.

I just wanted to let y'all know that everything does work out - sometimes in a crazy way that you hadn't planned or expected. You end up where you were supposed to be. And now I can't imagine doing anything other than being an MCG student, studying medicine.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 9 users