2013-2014 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just a reminder, folks...early May results in fruit basket turnover of those accepted everywhere who then begin to shuffle around. The wait surely does seem interminable, but it will sort out. Our daughter (now an MS2) was accepted at MCG in October and we were exploring housing options in Augusta in March, but by early May she was accepted at BCM off of their WL with a merit scholarship, so she quickly confirmed there instead (much cheaper net). MCG has noted in the past that a relatively large number of its matriculants actually finally get accepted this way-- and they will later still address you as Dr. _____. MCG has a HUGE class (230) and all but a handful (typically M.D./Ph.D candidates) MUST be Georgia residents. Keep the faith! :)

Thank you for the words of encouragement! I appreciate it :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all,

I'll be interviewing at MCG in February. I know its late in the cycle, but I'm pretty excited, considering my MCAT is lower than their average. I was wondering if anyone has any interview feedback -- checked the interview feedback part of this site already, and not much of it is recent. Anything specific for a nontraditional student? Any questions related to research experience? Any bizarre questions or anything meant to stump you? I've heard this school is very conversational and straightforward. Is this accurate? I've also heard they hit on health policy questions pretty hard. True?

Thanks, and good luck to everyone!

Hey all,

I'll be interviewing at MCG in February. I know its late in the cycle, but I'm pretty excited, considering my MCAT is lower than their average. I was wondering if anyone has any interview feedback -- checked the interview feedback part of this site already, and not much of it is recent. Anything specific for a nontraditional student? Any questions related to research experience? Any bizarre questions or anything meant to stump you? I've heard this school is very conversational and straightforward. Is this accurate? I've also heard they hit on health policy questions pretty hard. True?

Since it's open file the interviewer usually has questions written down, so be prepared to elaborate on any part of your application. I got a few questions that seemed really random or specific (my interviewer asked if I took a prep course for the MCAT) but nothing was meant to stump you, mostly just to clarify or learn more about you. Everyone said their interview was very relaxed and conversational. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

I interviewed with Dr.Duncan. She was VERY conversational and we actually lost track of time during our interview. She did have questions already written down about my application but nothing meant to stump you etc just to get a better understanding of who you are. My scores were much lower as well however, I interviewed on a Monday and was accepted that friday.

I am an IS applicant that interviewed on 10/2. Haven't heard anything since my interview, not even a 'no decision' e-mail like some have received. Anyone else have early interviews and are still waiting to hear back? Since people that interviewed after me are being accepted does that mean that the admissions committee skipped my application or hasn't reviewed it yet?

I'm an IS applicant that interviewed in September but still no decision. Just got an email from Dean Duncan stating that a final decision on my application has not yet been determined and that the committee resumed meeting this week. Hoping for good news soon!

Interviewed in September and just got the no decision letter couple minutes ago.
keep your faith up!

I interviewed on Dec. 6th and just received the "no decision" email also.

"A final decision on your application has not yet been determined. Our committee resumed its meetings following the holiday break this week and we will notify you as soon as a decision on your application has been made."

I know this question has been asked but I can't seem to find a clear answer: What is the significance of this email?

The possibilities seem to be:
1. They reviewed your application but were split as to whether you should be accepted or not (possibly pending review of other candidates)

or

2. They haven't yet gotten around to reviewing your file at the adcom meeting

I interviewed in early October and just received the 'no decision' email as well. I wonder what if they just haven't got to our file or they cannot agree on accepting us...

Received the same email. Interviewed in September.

I was working out when I recieved the email. Had to get my self out of the gym and sit down before reading any futher. Read the first line and realized it wasn't along the lines of "congratulations..." and closed out of the email to calm myself before reading further. Read through the whole email few times before deciding it wasn't a rejection but rather a continuing to evaluate email. Called myself an idiot for being so dramatic before going back and pumping some iron..... FML

Last edited:
Received the same email. Interviewed in September.

I was working out when I recieved the email. Had to get my self out of the gym and sit down before reading any futher. Read the first line and realized it wasn't along the lines of "congratulations..." and closed out of the email to calm myself before reading further. Read through the whole email few times before deciding it wasn't a rejection but rather a continuing to evaluate email. Called myself an idiot for being so dramatic before going back and pumping some iron..... FML

LOL I had the same sort of reaction when I got the email myself. But I do appreciate them sending out the update. I find it hard to believe that the committee has not gotten to our applications. I think they have reviewed them but they want to look at more applicants before they make a decision on us. I interviewed in early december.

Didn't get that email today :(

edit: nvm realized i got this in dec

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Should I reply the email with an update on what I am doing or should I not?

I'm not sure if that would be appropriate. Sending updates is fine, but I would check with the admissions office on how they would like to receive updates to your file. I think I remember that you use the online application to upload updates.

Also, I wouldn't bother unless it is something significant.. a recent publication, for example. A general update on an activity you already included in your application is not needed.

Use the document upload tab on the website rather than a reply.

I'm too lazy to write an update letter considering I'm already sitting on an acceptance. I'm sure they can only help, though.

Use the document upload tab on the website rather than a reply.

I'm too lazy to write an update letter considering I'm already sitting on an acceptance. I'm sure they can only help, though.
You never know...MCG will be giving out more scholarships this year so it doesn't hurt to give it a shot. =)

Does everyone interview at the Augusta campus? Can somebody explain how campus assignments work?

So most interview at Augusta as Donald Juan said, but some do interview at Athens. This is new this year. You still have to go to Augusta for some of the finaid talks and for a tour, but about 1-2 students interviewed per week in Athens in the fall.

While most do get their preference, keep in mind Athens only has 40 spots and therefore fills up quickly. Preference is giving to those with specific reasons for wanting the Athens campus- significant other living there, closer to family for whatever reason, prefer the curriculum for a specific reason, etc. etc. Just being a UGA undergrad and wanting to stay in Athens isn't really enough. So make sure to put some time in explaining your preference if you are interested in Athens. Campus assignments are sent out like 3-4 times during the year in batches.

Hey all,

Do you mind posting when you were complete and when you got the II? Thanks

Does anyone else keep re-reading the continuing to evaluate email just in case they slipped a subliminal message in it for us, or is all of this waiting just making me delusional?? haha

Reactions: 1 users
II today. I definitely thought my chances were over since I submitted my secondary application in August, so for those of you that have been waiting for an interview for a while, keep your hopes up!!

II today. I definitely thought my chances were over since I submitted my secondary application in August, so for those of you that have been waiting for an interview for a while, keep your hopes up!!

Congrats!! They interview was relaxed, open file, but definitely relaxed. :)

Safe to assume there won't be a meeting tomorrow due to inclement weather ?

Ah gotcha my family is in Cobb and I'm out of state at college so wasn't sure about the extent. But here's to being optimistic they will meet via teleconference. 21st century.

I'm in Athens and the snow is pretty much all melted. School was canceled today but definitely not tomorrow. I don't see why they wouldn't meet! Unless some people on the committee are coming from ATL but who knows. Someone could call tomorrow and find out

The Medical Partnership in Athens is hosting an Open House this Saturday, February 1st. Prospective students will have a chance to hear from a student panel, curriculum faculty presentation, and a tour of our facilities. The doors open at 10am and the program begins at 10:30am.

This is a great opportunity to learn more about the Athens campus and speak with students and faculty members.

Additionally, if anyone has questions about the Athens campus, let me know!

I just got an interview invite yesterday and I've been complete since July, I was an ED applicant who was waitlisted last year. I really do like the school (both campuses). I just wish I literally wasn't having to do back to back interviews. There was only one interview date left so I had to grab it. As soon as I leave MCG's interview I have to drive (yes drive) to MSU as their interview is two days later and I have to be there the night before the interview. Where is my 5 hour energy when I need it?

I just got an interview invite yesterday and I've been complete since July, I was an ED applicant who was waitlisted last year. I really do like the school (both campuses). I just wish I literally wasn't having to do back to back interviews. There was only one interview date left so I had to grab it. As soon as I leave MCG's interview I have to drive (yes drive) to MSU as their interview is two days later and I have to be there the night before the interview. Where is my 5 hour energy when I need it?

Dang! More power to you.

Be glad you weren't in Atlanta to witness the end of the world. It was ridiculous.

You live in Augusta, dude?
Ah man, it looks terrible on the news. And yep, I am in the city of the Masters.

Me and my friend got our acceptance emails yesterday (friday) morning before 10 am!!! Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Just out of curiosity, has anyone been rejected yet? Or are they just going to reject everyone at the end?

The Medical Partnership in Athens is hosting an Open House this Saturday, February 1st. Prospective students will have a chance to hear from a student panel, curriculum faculty presentation, and a tour of our facilities. The doors open at 10am and the program begins at 10:30am.

This is a great opportunity to learn more about the Athens campus and speak with students and faculty members.

Additionally, if anyone has questions about the Athens campus, let me know!

Thanks for posting! I was assigned to the Medical Partnership a few months back but am overseas and unfortunately won't have the chance to be back before this summer for a tour. I was wondering if you could give us a general layout of the curriculum (first two years especially)? I have seen lots of material on the process of creating the curriculum, the ideas behind it, and understand how a typical week will look. My question is more of the big picture stuff like do the Athens students follow the same order of classes as the Augusta students? Do y'all start with CMBM, move on to Tissues/Musculoskeletal, Cardiopulmonary, etc? Roughly when do courses end for 1st year and start back again for 2nd year? What does the step 1 study window look like?

And in a totally different vein: for the clinical campuses, is it possible to do the majority of one's rotations at a clinical campus like the SE campus? Would it ever be possible to actually "move" to a campus like the SE one (my parents live like 3 minutes from the campus in Brunswick and I could live for free) or would you be coming back to Athens regularly enough that you'd need to keep a place there?

thank you! If anyone knows whether there is a facebook group for the class of 2018 please post a link! Also, does anyone know when we are getting campus assignments?
Congrats on your acceptance I was accepted in December and chose to attend the Athens campus. I have found a facebook group however it seems to have been created by a recent individual accepted as well. ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/atatf/#!/groups/540888136006689/ ) Still waiting to see if I received the campus assignment in Athens. Have you received an email allowing you to go ahead and create your MCG email and Pounce account by chance?

Thanks for posting! I was assigned to the Medical Partnership a few months back but am overseas and unfortunately won't have the chance to be back before this summer for a tour. I was wondering if you could give us a general layout of the curriculum (first two years especially)? I have seen lots of material on the process of creating the curriculum, the ideas behind it, and understand how a typical week will look. My question is more of the big picture stuff like do the Athens students follow the same order of classes as the Augusta students? Do y'all start with CMBM, move on to Tissues/Musculoskeletal, Cardiopulmonary, etc? Roughly when do courses end for 1st year and start back again for 2nd year? What does the step 1 study window look like?

And in a totally different vein: for the clinical campuses, is it possible to do the majority of one's rotations at a clinical campus like the SE campus? Would it ever be possible to actually "move" to a campus like the SE one (my parents live like 3 minutes from the campus in Brunswick and I could live for free) or would you be coming back to Athens regularly enough that you'd need to keep a place there?

First off, congratulations! I look forward to meeting the class of 2018!
The Athens campus maintains a unique curriculum within the Medical College of Georgia education objectives. Both campuses employ the systems approach to learning and will focus on 'normal' physiology in year 1 and the 'disease' pathology in year 2. Both campuses will visit most systems twice, for example, learn the normal physiology of the renal system in year 1 and then the disease & pharmacology in year 2. Modules like MSK, Cardio-pulm, Renal, Repro, GI, Brain & Behavior are all covered by both campuses but might occur in different orders within a year. From my observation, the two campuses are usually in different modules at any given time in the year (after MSK).
Anyone in the MCG system can apply to complete their 3rd & 4th year rotations at one of the regional campuses. Students at the Athens campus are default enrolled in the Athens clinical program. The SE regional campus includes Savannah & Brunswick. The application process for regional campuses takes place in the fall of M2 year (so you have some time to get more information). If you attend a regional campus for M3 & M4, then you are part of that campus. No need to come to academic half-days or maintain a residence in Athens.

As for dates, I can give you a rough idea, but obviously I am NOT the final word for dates.
M1: August 1st -Second Friday in May (again, approximate) Spring break is on UGA schedule (mid-March)
M2: First Monday in August - Second Friday in May, spring break is on UGA schedule
You are encouraged to schedule Step 1 anytime between the final in May and the very end of June when M3 orientation begins. Based on my informal poll of classmates we are scheduled to sit for Step 1 between June 12 and June 24.
M3: June30/July1 until June 30, spring break is on MCG schedule (mid April)
M4: July1 until Graduation in May, spring break on MCG schedule

Anybody with a late application get an II? My AMCAS was verified early december...

Congrats on your acceptance I was accepted in December and chose to attend the Athens campus. I have found a facebook group however it seems to have been created by a recent individual accepted as well. ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/atatf/#!/groups/540888136006689/ ) Still waiting to see if I received the campus assignment in Athens. Have you received an email allowing you to go ahead and create your MCG email and Pounce account by chance?
Congrats to you too! Nope I have not received any MCG email about making an account. But then again its been less than a week since I got the acceptance so maybe I'll be getting it soon? Have you gotten yours? I've only gotten the background check email. Also, I put Augusta as my preference. I hope we get what we want! Thanks for sharing the link with me :)

Is anyone interviewing after 02/12? The reason I ask is because I just found out we're getting another snowpocalypse in Atlanta (which is where I'll be driving from), but I'm too scared to reschedule thinking that's the last batch of people they are interviewing.

Is anyone interviewing after 02/12? The reason I ask is because I just found out we're getting another snowpocalypse in Atlanta (which is where I'll be driving from), but I'm too scared to reschedule thinking that's the last batch of people they are interviewing.

I'm interviewing on 2/14, but I assume if they cancel interviews due to weather, they will allow us to reschedule.

I was supposed to interview on 2/12 but re-scheduled to 2/26.

Anyone know if there was a meeting last Thursday? I assume not since we were covered in snow...

Definitely did not meet last Thurs (13th). Probably meet this Thurs (20th)