2013-2014 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waitlisted also!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know where is the form for alternative list? Can't find it under the tab....

I was one of the first people to report that error. (At least I assume since I responded very soon after the notification). It's an error, they should have sent you another email saying that they were going to fix it and then tell you when it is fixed. If they don't fix by tomorrow, I am going to email again. I told them I had tried Firefix, IE, and Safari. I might try on my phone next or have my partner try on his computer.

EDIT: I was able to get on through my phone. If your phone has internet capability, try using it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was one of the first people to report that error. (At least I assume since I responded very soon after the notification). It's an error, they should have sent you another email saying that they were going to fix it and then tell you when it is fixed. If they don't fix by tomorrow, I am going to email again. I told them I had tried Firefix, IE, and Safari. I might try on my phone next or have my partner try on his computer.

I actually had no problems whatsoever but I did call them about something else. And I used Firefox and I have a Mac. Hopefully it gets resolved.

I actually had no problems whatsoever but I did call them about something else. And I used Firefox and I have a Mac. Hopefully it gets resolved.

They said not everyone was having the error.

The website thought some of us had already responded or something. I finally just a few minutes ago was able to get on through my phone. I wish I had thought of that earlier but I am still not used to having a phone that can get the internet.

The website thought some of us had already responded or something. I finally just a few minutes ago was able to get on through my phone. I wish I had thought of that earlier but I am still not used to having a phone that can get the internet.
+1. I also used my phone shortly after the email and had no problems. Does anyone know if they're still receptive to updates and if so, should we upload documents or can we directly contact our interviewer?

Oh I just wasn't aware there was a problem. I got the email in class logged in and set it yes. Then went on with my day. It's truly Hump Day for me Wednesday's are my longest days. Glad it worked!

Did anyone else get an additional problem with their website separate from the alternate list issue?

Once the alternate issue was worked out, I was notified by admissions yesterday that part of my secondary application is blank. I find this odd as logically if a required section (regional campus) was blank, the application would not have been able to be submitted which means I could not have been interviewed. While I can *make* a selection, I can't save it (no button).

I had website issues last year (required paperwork deleted) and the year before (unable to select/save) which luckily all worked out. I'm hoping that means it will work out again this time. As a former web designer (many MANY years ago), I have a few suspicions on what is causing some of the issues as this happened to two former websites of mine.

As of this week, the pre-matriculation program still has a couple slots left. I just received an invite, and am really ecstatic. Anyone else in the Augusta area and planning on attending?

Does anyone know if they are open to receiving a letter of intent?

I sent one a week ago and I don't know if it helped or not especially since I had originally been an ED applicant. So far I have yet to hear of anyone getting pulled off the waitlist.

I sent one, prior to even receiving an interview invite, because I had submitted very early, and an entire semester had passed without hearing anything. I don't know if it helped, but it certainly didn't hurt; I received an Interview invite two weeks after sending the letter. I generally think they're open to updates and the like. Also, I know the committee isn't meeting this week because of the Master's tournament. But the meetings should resume next Tuesday.

Has anyone heard anything? If meetings resumed today in theory they had to make a decision on someone. Sigh.

Members don't see this ad :)
They aren't supposed to make those until summer. I think early July. They don't even know what the class looks like right now.

Many, many people have received campus assignments, notably many in Athens, though it seems random in how they are assigning, regarding the time frame...not who to where. @whatsupdoc14 , were you accepted? If so, you might be able to sneak a peak on your pounce account.

I am just passing on what they told at the interview last year and this year and on both tours, where they said early July is when the majority of the assignments are made. Anyone who asks for Augusta gets Augusta though. Financial reasons, diversity, and such are some of the reasons one would be assigned to Athens which is where I would prefer to be assigned assuming I was accepted (financial reasons) although I would go to Augusta as well. But I am still sitting on the waitlist... waiting.... again.

I haven't heard anything about that... You could ask on the Facebook Group.

Still quiet for everyone?

What is everyone doing while they wait? I am starting the process of organizing a charity skydive event and doing things on my bucket list, it's a good distraction to get me from thinking of the waitlist.

Still quiet for everyone?

What is everyone doing while they wait? I am starting the process of organizing a charity skydive event and doing things on my bucket list, it's a good distraction to get me from thinking of the waitlist.

We will probably see a good bit of waitlist movement shortly after the May 15th deadline. Best of luck to those of you still waiting! I am currently trying to finish up finals......so I should probably get off of SDN......

We will probably see a good bit of waitlist movement shortly after the May 15th deadline. Best of luck to those of you still waiting! I am currently trying to finish up finals......so I should probably get off of SDN......

Same. Had two today. Only 7 days, 1 final and 1 presentation till graduation for me.

At this time last year when I was sitting on the waitlist, I asked myself the same question. Can't hurt to start filling out the application.

So, my FAFSA was verified and sent to MCG by mid March. The financial aid office had said the "awards" would be posted by mid-April, but I haven't seen anything, and can't get a hold of anyone in the office. The hubby keeps bugging me about when we go to the bank to get this massive loan, and I honestly have little idea what happens after the award is posted. To be clear, I am not awaiting any scholarship or other type of assistance. Anyone further along in the process or understand what the next step is?

So, my FAFSA was verified and sent to MCG by mid March. The financial aid office had said the "awards" would be posted by mid-April, but I haven't seen anything, and can't get a hold of anyone in the office. The hubby keeps bugging me about when we go to the bank to get this massive loan, and I honestly have little idea what happens after the award is posted. To be clear, I am not awaiting any scholarship or other type of assistance. Anyone further along in the process or understand what the next step is?

My girlfriend just talked with them, and they hope to get the financial aid stuff out by the end of this month. She asked if they could get it before the May 15th deadline, and they said that they would try.....so I would say the end of May is the best prediction. As far as "awards," I believe the April date was related to merit-based awards, but I could be completely wrong on this.

Well just be lucky that the only thing you are waiting for is financial aid, some of us are still waiting and hoping for an acceptance and even went so far as to fill out their FAFSA just in case.

Well just be lucky that the only thing you are waiting for is financial aid, some of us are still waiting and hoping for an acceptance and even went so far as to fill out their FAFSA just in case.

For MCG do they require parental info? I filled it out super earlier for all of the possible schools and some required parental info others didn't.

For MCG do they require parental info? I filled it out super earlier for all of the possible schools and some required parental info others didn't.

I was told I had to put down my mother's information for FAFSA.

This is going to be so much fun given she was the victim of identity fraud so she is having problems with the IRS.

My EFC is a third of what she makes in a year.

All I have to say to that is "HAHAHAHAHA!" Yea right. Blood from a turnip. :/

I was told I had to put down my mother's information for FAFSA.

This is going to be so much fun given she was the victim of identity fraud so she is having problems with the IRS.

My EFC is a third of what she makes in a year.

All I have to say to that is "HAHAHAHAHA!" Yea right. Blood from a turnip. :/

That sucks but thanks for confirming. It'll all work out.

I wake up every day, thankful that this cycle worked out well for me. I feel so fortunate to be able to attend MCG and begin training to become a doctor. Meanwhile, there is still a ton of leg work to be done with regards to immunizations, housing, Financial aid, daycare, backup daycare, and I'm thankful for the advice and experiences of others to help me through it. I also have half a dozen brilliant friends who are patiently waiting and praying for movement on the 15th. I've heard that as much as 30-40% of their matriculating class comes from the wait list and I genuinely hope we all get the same opportunity. Hope is not lost, good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
I wake up every day, thankful that this cycle worked out well for me. I feel so fortunate to be able to attend MCG and begin training to become a doctor. Meanwhile, there is still a ton of leg work to be done with regards to immunizations, housing, Financial aid, daycare, backup daycare, and I'm thankful for the advice and experiences of others to help me through it. I also have half a dozen brilliant friends who are patiently waiting and praying for movement on the 15th. I've heard that as much as 30-40% of their matriculating class comes from the wait list and I genuinely hope we all get the same opportunity. Hope is not lost, good luck.

Thank you. I have no acceptances and it is my third round. Last year, I was also waitlisted at MCG and did not get pulled.

I have four kids myself (luckily I only have to worry about the youngest) so trust me I get the daycare issue which I had when I was in graduate school. And given I travel with service dogs, I understand the difficulty in housing and having to move me to a location and have my husband travel from several states away so we can all live together again is going to be so much fun. Not knowing where I will need to be (city wise) is very difficult given my situation.

I would assume the COA will all be loans and if MCG runs anything like my graduate school, they will help you so you don't personally have to go to the bank. I was literally mailed paperwork for the loans like 3 weeks before school started.

Just remember they will give you your aid package eventually. If where I got my MS from can make it work out (10 years ago I had to wait until June to get an aid package offer and the school was 1500 miles away!), so can MCG.

Last year, they notified the first wave of wait listers at the end of the week of the 15th, on Friday. Fingers crossed!

Congrats! Did they call with an opening in Athens or Augusta, or did they say?

HOUSING at MCG
I am starting my first year at MCG (Augusta) in August and am looking for roomates / housing options (prefer off campus). Can someone give me info...is there a website where I can post / look up available houses / folks looking for room mates?

HOUSING at MCG
I am starting my first year at MCG (Augusta) in August and am looking for roomates / housing options (prefer off campus). Can someone give me info...is there a website where I can post / look up available houses / folks looking for room mates?

Hey have you looked at the S.O.S Book on MCG's website? It was a ton of information on just about everything but it has a great section on housing and finding roommates. Here's the link: http://issuu.com/ghsu/docs/sos_booklet_

Let me know if the link doesn't work.

Also Congrats!

Does anyone accepted from the wait list know anything about letting them know your decision within 24hrs? I vaguely remember that rule from last year maybe, but my letter says 1 week.

Does anyone accepted from the wait list know anything about letting them know your decision within 24hrs? I vaguely remember that rule from last year maybe, but my letter says 1 week.
The waitlist letter they sent out says that you have 24 hrs to respond. Were you accepted today?

Yes I was accepted from the wait list today, but it says I have a week to decide. I'm deciding between MCG and another school, and I'm hoping I have more than 24hrs. I'll call tomorrow and see which time line they mean.

Congrats. Last year I do believe it was 24 hours, maybe they changed it? Pick whichever is the best fit for you and allows you to do whatever you want to do. Just please put in a good word for the the rest of us.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah oddly the wait list letter says 24hrs, then the actual acceptance letter says 1 week, and the campus assignment letter says 2 weeks. I'll update everyone tomorrow once I call to ask. :)

Withdrew today, I'm glad it's going to someone else out there patiently waiting! And the time line is 1 week for future reference, though if you're holding at another school their rules may apply instead.

Reactions: 3 users