MCAT 2 Brand New Gold Standard MCAT BIO (Biology and Biochemistry) Textbooks Raffle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We are excited to participate again in SDN's annual Test Prep Week!
2 Gold Standard MCAT BIO books to be given away for free!

MCAT-BIO-sm.png

The Gold Standard MCAT BIO: Biology and Biochemistry book will be given away free to two (2) lucky winners within May 18-22, 2015.

Who knows, you could be the lucky winner!

Join the raffle by posting questions about the product in this thread.

About the book:

· Gold Standard MCAT BIO: Biology and Biochemistry is a comprehensive biology and biochemistry review in color (

· The book covers Molecular, Cellular and Systems Biology.

· It contains over 350 practice questions and solutions.

About the author:

The Gold Standard editorial team includes medical doctors who have taken the MCAT, aced it, and were admitted to medical school.

Our lead author, Brett Ferdinand MD, has written MCAT books for more than 20 years, created the first online MCAT video library and was the first to develop 10 full-length MCAT practice tests.

Learn more here: Gold Standard MCAT BIO

Good luck to all!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How successful has GoldStandard been in preparation for the new mcat

Reactions: 1 user
How does the Gold Standard compare to other test prep material?

How successful has GoldStandard been in preparation for the new mcat

It is quite early to state any particular number or percentage as we only just launched our revised practice materials for the new MCAT. Yes, we did take our time to bring them out because we listened to what students were saying, then tweaked, changed and improved. We strongly believe in our students' feedback and we are proud to say that our new MCAT materials very closely resemble the real exam and we are not stopping there! It is an ongoing process to ensure that we offer the highest possible quality prep to our students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does this book cover Bio and Biochem topics in general or do they focus on topics specific to the MCAT.

How does the Gold Standard compare to other test prep material?

We don't like to boast but we have been preparing our students for over 20 years and we have been constructing computer-based MCAT tests before the AAMC converted the MCAT to a computer-based exam. We offer a unique multimedia learning approach as we understand that each student is different. Our home study package includes not only books but also e-books, MP3s, online science video library, mobile apps and flashcards. We can't speak for other prep companies but we are constantly working on our materials - we listen to our students and incorporate/eliminate based on your feedback!

Does this book cover Bio and Biochem topics in general or do they focus on topics specific to the MCAT.

Our MCAT BIO textbook focuses only on topics specific to the MCAT. Nothing more, nothing less. We don't believe in overwhelming students with stuff that will never be tested on the exam. We like to keep the content focused and to the point.

Is there an online version?

Will this cover the smidgets of biochemistry in all sections of MCAT 2015?

Is there an Ebook? Also if I don't win, would purchasing this book include and full length practice exams?

Does the book include full length practice exams, online supplemental materials or tests or does that only come with the home study package? Is it more content review or strategy based and whats the distribution of passages to discretes?

What is the current price for this book?

Is there an online version?

Will this cover the smidgets of biochemistry in all sections of MCAT 2015?

The high-yield e-version of this MCAT BIO textbook is only available as a part of our online programs: MCAT Crash Course; MCAT University and our Complete Packages.

Our MCAT BIO book is a comprehensive biology review covering Biochemistry and Molecular, Cellular and Systems Biology with over 350 practice questions and solutions. I had to look it up because the Biochemistry review is not about "smidgets " ! Although we do take care of "smidgets" in the practice questions and exams.

I have a question regarding the content, who put together the book?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there an Ebook? Also if I don't win, would purchasing this book include and full length practice exams?
There is no separate e-book of this textbook. However, high-yield e-version is available as a part of our online programs: MCAT Crash Course; MCAT University and our Complete Packages. This textbook does not include a full-length practice test. However, it does include a personal access code to 6 months of free online access to additional practice questions with helpful solutions.

Does the book include full length practice exams, online supplemental materials or tests or does that only come with the home study package? Is it more content review or strategy based and whats the distribution of passages to discretes?
This textbook does not include a full-length practice test. However, it does include a personal access code to 6 months of free online access to additional practice questions with helpful solutions, free sample test and other free resources.

The book is mostly content review but there are chapter review practice questions. There are 20 chapters with about 20 passages and 5-20 discretes per chapter.

Our primary author, Dr. Brett Ferdinand, is a former surgeon who not only passed the MCAT, he aced it, and since then, he has been teaching MCAT for over 20 years. ;)

Can we pay to have him as our tutor>?

Who made the material?

Are the practice questions from previous MCATs, or from some other writer? Is it fully compatible with the new MCAT?

does it cover all topics outlined in the AAMC official MCAT guide?

Are the practice questions from previous MCATs, or from some other writer? Is it fully compatible with the new MCAT?

Our primary author is Dr. Ferdinand who, himself, aced the MCAT and has been teaching it for over 20 years now. The new practice tests are fully compatible with the new MCAT.

Last edited:
does it cover all topics outlined in the AAMC official MCAT guide?
No. That would likely be a textbook but this is a review guide so this book covers all the most tested material for the new MCAT. Our chapter review practice questions (which come with the book) combined with our practice exams make sure that everything is covered.

Who made the material?

Our main author is Dr. Ferdinand who was the first to develop 10(!) full-length practice tests. He knows the MCAT inside and out and has been teaching MCAT for over 20 years.

Is the book available via App for a Smart Phone? I graduated 25 years ago and am in a professional healthcare role but with my busy family and full time work, it would be really helpful to listen to the book "on tape" since I drive 2-3 hours a day and can't sit down without interruptions to read.

Is the book available via App for a Smart Phone? I graduated 25 years ago and am in a professional healthcare role but with my busy family and full time work, it would be really helpful to listen to the book "on tape" since I drive 2-3 hours a day and can't sit down without interruptions to read.

Unfortunately, this book is not available "on tape". However, its high yield chapters are available as an e-book as a part of our online programs: MCAT Crash Course; MCAT University and our Complete Packages.

Thank you all for participating in this year's SDN Test Prep week and for your interest in Gold Standard MCAT products. I'm happy to announce that the two lucky winners to win the MCAT BIO review guide are TheOneAndOnlyJamesFranco and mj1988 :highfive: Congratulations! Please, pm us your address so we can ship those books to you as soon as possible.

We wish all of you the best of luck in your studies!

Gold Standard MCAT Team

Status
Not open for further replies.