USMLE 197 on NBME 16, exam in 3 weeks. What can I do to improve my score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

disappointeddreamer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting dedicated today, hoping to score over 230. What can I do to maximize my score?

fwiw I have Boards & beyond, and all of sketchy. And I plan on going through them. Along with the Usual FA & pathoma. I'm also 1/2 way done with uworld, and averaging around 57%.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Starting dedicated today, hoping to score over 230. What can I do to maximize my score?

fwiw I have Boards & beyond, and all of sketchy. And I plan on going through them. Along with the Usual FA & pathoma. I'm also 1/2 way done with uworld, and averaging around 57%.

Thank you!
Similar boat as me but I'm 8 days from the exam and had a 207 5 weeks from exam. My advice is to watch B&B. Focus on what makes you a better test taker. If that means only content review, then just do content review. Personally I wouldn't worry about your UW score. SDN overinflates it's predictive value.

Have you already gone over FA before? What's your weakpoints? Why do you think you're getting questions wrong?

Similar boat as me but I'm 8 days from the exam and had a 207 5 weeks from exam. My advice is to watch B&B. Focus on what makes you a better test taker. If that means only content review, then just do content review. Personally I wouldn't worry about your UW score. SDN overinflates it's predictive value.
I agree, the UW score seems a bit weird to me as well. I am planning on watching Boards & beyond. If you don't mind, how are your nbmes now?

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you already gone over FA before? What's your weakpoints? Why do you think you're getting questions wrong?
Yes I have gone over fa before, I think my biggest problem is that I lack a proper foundation. I think that's the reason my score is so pathetic. I'm hoping to improve my foundations w/ B&B, hopefully will have enough time for it. I really hope to cross 230.

Yes I have gone over fa before, I think my biggest problem is that I lack a proper foundation. I think that's the reason my score is so pathetic. I'm hoping to improve my foundations w/ B&B, hopefully will have enough time for it. I really hope to cross 230.

I went from 198 to 215 in 4 weeks watching B&B in the morning from 8-12 and then doing Uworld blocks from 1-8/9pm. I didn't even finish all of B&B and improved by +17 points. It's working for me. I'm watching at 1.75 and annotating into FA. Now I'm starting to throw in some sketchy and pathoma.

So why is Boards & Beyond better than DIT or any of the other lecture-based series available?

Not trying to be a dick just curious.

I agree, the UW score seems a bit weird to me as well. I am planning on watching Boards & beyond. If you don't mind, how are your nbmes now?
I've not taken another practice exam. My exam is in a week and I don't want to get discouraged and get like a 200. I may take one this weekend but I have a lot of review left

So why is Boards & Beyond better than DIT or any of the other lecture-based series available?

DIT is very superficial. They simply regurgitate the material to you with not much insight. Aside from a few things here and there. Kaplan and Becker are way too long and convoluted often talking about board irrelevant information. People have been raving about Pathoma for ages for pathology. Now you have B&B which is the "Pathoma" for everything else. It goes hand in hand with First Aid and does a great job at explaining things from the ground up to build your foundation. He also does a great job at repeating concepts over and over and hammering things home until it sticks. Now although I would say Pathoma does a better job at explaining Pathophys, if I had to rate the two between explanations Pathoma would get a 9/10 and B&B would get around a 7.5-8 with explanations. Nevertheless it gets the job done. This may not be the best option for someone who just understands First Aid when they just pick it up....most likely a USMD with strong fundamentals. But it's great for IMGs or anyone with weak fundamentals.

Also wanted to add the images in there are amazing. I'm virtually getting nothing wrong when it comes to any images. CT, MRI etc. Not many resources go over images well.

My advice is to couple B&B with Pathoma and Sketchy for the ultimate prep.

For perspective. I had very VERY weak fundamentals and went up +17 points between NBME 15 and NBME 16 in about 4 weeks and didn't finish. I combined this with Uworld. My scores are still not gunner worthy but I'm in a comfortable "passing range" and I'm still not done with my prep ~2 weeks to go. I still haven't finished the videos.

TLDR; Pathoma for all the other subjects, goes hand in hand with first aid. Not recommended for someone who has strong fundamentals. Great for those with weak background.

Reactions: 1 users

Hey, so I have tried DIT as well, despite what others say I really liked it. BUT if you are lacking in foundation it won't really help you. It is a great review course though. B&B goes a lot deeper, I saw a comparison somewhere that said that B&B is like halfway through Najeeb & FA.

It just really depends on where you are at imo. I liked both dit & B&B fwiw.

DIT is very superficial. They simply regurgitate the material to you with not much insight. Aside from a few things here and there. Kaplan and Becker are way too long and convoluted often talking about board irrelevant information. People have been raving about Pathoma for ages for pathology. Now you have B&B which is the "Pathoma" for everything else. It goes hand in hand with First Aid and does a great job at explaining things from the ground up to build your foundation. He also does a great job at repeating concepts over and over and hammering things home until it sticks. Now although I would say Pathoma does a better job at explaining Pathophys, if I had to rate the two between explanations Pathoma would get a 9/10 and B&B would get around a 7.5-8 with explanations. Nevertheless it gets the job done. This may not be the best option for someone who just understands First Aid when they just pick it up....most likely a USMD with strong fundamentals. But it's great for IMGs or anyone with weak fundamentals.

Also wanted to add the images in there are amazing. I'm virtually getting nothing wrong when it comes to any images. CT, MRI etc. Not many resources go over images well.

My advice is to couple B&B with Pathoma and Sketchy for the ultimate prep.

For perspective. I had very VERY weak fundamentals and went up +17 points between NBME 15 and NBME 16 in about 4 weeks and didn't finish. I combined this with Uworld. My scores are still not gunner worthy but I'm in a comfortable "passing range" and I'm still not done with my prep ~2 weeks to go. I still haven't finished the videos.

TLDR; Pathoma for all the other subjects, goes hand in hand with first aid. Not recommended for someone who has strong fundamentals. Great for those with weak background.

Hey, so I have tried DIT as well, despite what others say I really liked it. BUT if you are lacking in foundation it won't really help you. It is a great review course though. B&B goes a lot deeper, I saw a comparison somewhere that said that B&B is like halfway through Najeeb & FA.

It just really depends on where you are at imo. I liked both dit & B&B fwiw.

Yeah I have about 3 weeks till my test and I'm trying to see what would be the most efficient use of my time is the only thing.

Thanks for the responses.