1 gap year later - looking for school list advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrHart

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll try to keep it short and sweet, friends. I applied in the 15-16 cycle unsuccessfully. I wasn't marked complete until September and I had some (but not enough) clinical/non clinical volunteering - also didn't have a great school list. Took a full year before reapplying to fix some things so here is where I'm at.

3.75cGPA / 3.65sGPA / 508 (04/15) --> 514 (09/16). The 508 was a pretty even spread and the 514 is (131/127/130/126). Top 20 public uni w/ a science major and Spanish minor. OH resident, non-URM

Clinical volunteering: ~90 hours in 15-16 now at 250+ (spread over 2.5 years)
Shadowing: ~60 hours in 15-16 in a couple specialities, have since added ~10 in outpatient pediatrics
Research: 2 years clinical and 2 years laboratory, no pubs but 2 presentations, not changed much since 15-16
Non-clinical: very limited in 15-16, now about 300+ hours volunteering for a nonprofit (very hands on) and also about 900 hours paid work for the same non profit - this org serves an underserved (hispanic) population in my local area, also ~30 hours in a local food pantry over the winter season
Leadership: unchanged since 15-16; president of an academic club, captain of a club sports team
Employment: unchanged since 15-16; a few summer jobs at >1000 hours. not medical related but I had to help pay for college

My school list in 15-16 was too top heavy for my stats, + my below average ECs + being complete later than I should have was a kiss of death. Only 1 II and was waitlisted. I have updated letters and have all my stuff together to submit on day one. Was leaning more toward research schools but my work w/ non profit over the last year has gotten me more interested in primary care. Hoping to really talk about this in some essays.
Below is my list for this cycle, asterisked are schools I will be a reapplicant to - any and all input is appreciated:

*Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
*Ohio State University College of Medicine
*University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
*University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine
Saint Louis University School of Medicine
*USF Health Morsani College of Medicine
Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
*Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
*The University of Toledo College of Medicine
Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine
Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Indiana University School of Medicine
*Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
Loyola University Stritch School of Medicine
*Wake Forest School of Medicine of Wake Forest Babtist Medical Center
Florida International University Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine
West Virginia University School of Medicine
*Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine
Northeast Ohio Medical University

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If I were you I would try to add some more clinical hours both shadowing and volunteering before your application cycle begins. Otherwise you seem quite qualified but I don't have more insight on a school list.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll do a lot better on this cycle.
Good list. FIU seems a little out of place...
Can't blame him for trying to get to Miami...

Reactions: 2 users
I figured I would give an update to my post. Maybe it could serve to help another re-applicant in the future.

I applied with a list very close to the one above. I received one in state interview (from NEOMED) and two OOS interviews to private schools. I was accepted to NEOMED and one of the OOS schools, and was waitlisted at the second OOS school.

Interestingly, I didn't receive a single interview invite to any school I had applied to before (including the in-state schools I felt my stats matched with pretty well). My two acceptances were early in the season, the waitlist was towards the end of the season. I'll be attending the OOS school :)

All things considered, I'm very pleased with the outcome. I would have loved the opportunity to interview at some more state school close to home, but I wouldn't even think to complain at this point. I'd love to leave just a few points of advice for any re-applicant looking for some insight.

1) Evaluate your school list and be realistic. As mentioned in my original post, the first time I applied I shot way to high. Have a solid distribution of schools on your list. For me, my list was comprised of about 5% high reach schools, 20% reach schools, 25% target schools (stats close), and 50% state schools // schools where my stats were at or about the median.
2) Don't reapply until you feel ready. I waited a year before reapplying and focused on building and expanding my application. I truly feel like this was the best decision I could have made. It gave me plenty of time to retake the MCAT, gain more volunteering experiences, and work a part time job to save some money. These experiences made for great essays. They also helped me clarify the reasons why I wanted to go into medicine. I could think about my goals and ambitions without the burden of schoolwork and tests weighing on me.
3) Meet with a premed advisor REGULARLY. I met with my premed advisor only once throughout my whole college experience (this was right before I applied the first time). Throughout my two gap years, I met with my advisor four times. This helped me make sure I was on the right track, spending my time wisely, and getting the most out of my application. I'll admit, some premed advisors are not very helpful, but a 15 minute meeting once a semester could definitely make a difference.
4) If retaking the MCAT, don't study the same. I changed my study method and time commitment. I used Anki and had about 2500 cards. I also made a serious effort to study at least 5 hours a day, every day for 4 months. Find where you made mistakes the first time and commit yourself to your plan.
5) Lastly, be honest with yourself, everyone you meet, and everything you say on your application. I am convinced that adcoms can smell bull**** from 40 miles away. Be real. Don't try to find deep meaning in every experience you have... because there will undoubtedly be some experiences that just won't have much meaning. Thats okay! Be a genuine person - excited to learn from others and excited to share your perspective with fellow students.

Reactions: 2 users