1 FL per week during prep course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DameJulie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
During the MCAT prep course(~3 months before exam), is doing 1 FL per week a reasonable pace?

Since I am not worried about running out of FL (so many 3rd parties FL out there), I am wondering if I should put priority on FL over the homework passages assigned by the prep course?

The trade-off is, I would be behind on the extra, optional homework assigned for the class. I am planning to have the priority as "Class > required hw passages > FL > extra "optional" hw passages".

Any input or recommendations are welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

One FL per week for 3 months seems pretty good. That'll put you at 12 FLs, which is more than enough and way above what's generally recommended.

One FL per week for 3 months seems pretty good. That'll put you at 12 FLs, which is more than enough and way above what's generally recommended.

Every single time i read your comments it's in Dr. Yang's voice and I just now realized it

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
The HW passages are generally simplified passages that help you understand the "core" of the material a little better to push it. It's good during your content review period, but they can be time consuming and difficult to follow strictly.

But I do think that FLs will prepare you better in general. They should take priority over all your homework. But I will warn that without the core of knowledge necessary, you may struggle a bit in the beginning. Keep your head up and know that it's simply because of content knowledge during your content review period! Don't focus too much on the score, look for improvement. A lot of the time it can be discouraging for people taking FLs while still going through content review.

Members don't see this ad :)
Every single time i read your comments it's in Dr. Yang's voice and I just now realized it

IM NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO DOES THIS. Tbh it makes me less hesitant to challenge what @fldoctorgirl . I love Dr. Yang so much

I know we are off topic, but I am also team Dr.Yang! Sometimes I just imagined @fldoctorgirl talks in Dr.Yang's voice, and makes her advice so much more personal! I even imagined that "nobody cares" attitude.

Thank you all for your advice. It seemed like FL is the way to go! I aim for at least 1 FL per week. I realized how time-consuming that is with class and even more time-consuming review process.

IM NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO DOES THIS. Tbh it makes me less hesitant to challenge what @fldoctorgirl . I love Dr. Yang so much
I know we are off topic, but I am also team Dr.Yang! Sometimes I just imagined @fldoctorgirl talks in Dr.Yang's voice, and makes her advice so much more personal! I even imagined that "nobody cares" attitude.

Thank you all for your advice. It seemed like FL is the way to go! I aim for at least 1 FL per week. I realized how time-consuming that is with class and even more time-consuming review process.
Hahaha all of these comments made me smile. Dr. Yang is the best ;)

I'd recommend allotting one of the weeks to the AAMC Section Banks rather than a FL. Ideally within the last month.

If you can understand all the Section Bank passages, the style of question and reasoning involved - you will be adequately prepared for the most difficult passages you will encounter on test day.

I feel like that's overkill and may even be a waste of your time this early in the process, unless you know much of the content already.

I'm studying for 3.5 months and am only beginning full-lengths when I have half of the content down pat (and even by that point I'll still have plenty of passages under my belt for particular content and as well as CARS ones), which will give me about 8-10 weeks for full-lengths. YMMV of course but I'd rather spend the day doing a full-length relearning critical material like cellular respiration and signalling first lol.

Last edited: